NA Tournament of Legends - Discussion Thread

in PvP

Posted by: Josh Davis.6015

Josh Davis.6015

Next

Hello everyone!

The North American Tournament of Legends is now live!

Any early predictions?

Don’t forget to tune-in for your chance to win the new llama finisher or a precursor!

in PvP

Posted by: infantrydiv.1620

infantrydiv.1620

I predict: Apex v Outplayed by children in the final with Apex winning in 4 games

Ranger//Necro

in PvP

Posted by: Darek.1836

Darek.1836

I predict: Apex v Outplayed by children in the final with Apex winning in 4 games

this but 3 games

Holy
Sharks With Lazers [PEW]

in PvP

Posted by: Lux.7169

Lux.7169

Interrupting lord heal 2 complicated for NA.

[SoF]

in PvP

infantrydiv.1620

Ranger//Necro

in PvP

Posted by: style.6173

style.6173

It was nice to see the first non-auto entry team make it to the round of 8. I hope we see more of this the rest of the day.

in PvP

Posted by: Lux.7169

Lux.7169

It was nice to see the first non-auto entry team make it to the round of 8. I hope we see more of this the rest of the day.

They were an auto-entry team. They just lost their seeded position after some re-evaluation or something.

[SoF]

in PvP

Posted by: Bhawb.7408

Bhawb.7408

Let’s be honest, did we really expect level 2 PvPers to do the most basic PvE possible? Obviously AI is just too strong.

But of Corpse – Watch us on YouTube
My PvP Minion Build

in PvP

Posted by: Sunshine.5014

Sunshine.5014

#asurasprophecies

Gray out the HP for future condition damage
Already quit PvP. Just log in here and there to troll.

in PvP

Posted by: style.6173

style.6173

They were an auto-entry team. They just lost their seeded position after some re-evaluation or something.

Oh. I thought there were only 8 auto selected teams.

in PvP

Previous

Josh Davis.6015

Next

in PvP

Posted by: Flash.6912

Flash.6912

do we get to pick any precursor?

R.I.P Kumu <3

in PvP

Posted by: BigPlays.9260

BigPlays.9260

I wonder why skyhammer isn’t one of the maps…

in PvP

Posted by: BlackBeard.2873

BlackBeard.2873

It seems US teams like rolling a lot tankier, compared to the “superior rotation” strats that top EU teams have.

It’s a shame we don’t see more EU style comps.

in PvP

Posted by: Crovax.7854

Crovax.7854

It seems US teams like rolling a lot tankier, compared to the “superior rotation” strats that top EU teams have.

A lot of US teams remind me of what we see on lower levels in EU – a lot of engi cond spam with comparatively many spiritrangers and little mesmerplay.
I really like that warriors seem to move away from hambow though.
That a/sw-lb looks quite potent.

in PvP

Bhawb.7408

Rotation comps require a lot better team strategy, and most NA teams form and break very quickly. So it makes sense to run a meta that has high success with lower teamwork. You can see it in their rotations (or really lack thereof).

I love NA, but we really just have never had the top tier PvP scene EU has.

My PvP Minion Build

in PvP

infantrydiv.1620

Looks like I overestimated Outplayed by children

Ranger//Necro

in PvP

Previous

Josh Davis.6015

Next

Looks like I overestimated Outplayed by children

The Apex/Kpex comp is really strong. The rest of today’s game and tomorrow’s games are going to be really interesting. I sense some possible upsets?

in PvP

BlackBeard.2873

Apex comp is really strong, especially vs. teams with condis. Bring the burst people! Bring that burst and push all 3 points!

in PvP

Posted by: sendmark.4731

sendmark.4731

Very boring to watch these bunker builds. Stream numbers less than half the first weekend.

in PvP

Posted by: Orangensaft.7139

Orangensaft.7139

Apex will win vs “Kpex” and prove that its not just the teamcomp

edit: it aint EZ bein KPz has to win vs Good Fights first ofc and im not sure if that happens

We Glitched Out Of All [MAPS]
26x lvl 80 Characters
Most fabulous Character: http://i.imgur.com/5JtcBI1.jpg?1

(edited by Orangensaft.7139)

in PvP

Posted by: Mrbig.8019

Mrbig.8019

Rotation comps require a lot better team strategy, and most NA teams form and break very quickly. So it makes sense to run a meta that has high success with lower teamwork. You can see it in their rotations (or really lack thereof).

I love NA, but we really just have never had the top tier PvP scene EU has.

Aside that, in EU even “mid tier” players know how to rotate. Their thieves (for example) just never really know when to leave the fight to go for a decap ( with an empty point being lonely for ages) and they never really knew( heavies) when to rotate on points without stacking.

It just seemed lot of mechanically good guys playing by themselves like hotjoin stacking.

It was very boring to watch, even more due to them running such “bunkerish” comps without dps ( mostly cuz of bad rotations, since dpses can’t afford that).

The only solution is to merge EU and NA, i know lot of NA guys playing in EU without any problem, NA seriously can’t continue like this.

in PvP

Bhawb.7408

Because rotations at a high level are a team based thing. You can’t properly match a really good team’s coordinated rotations with a bunch of essentially yoloQ players just doing what they think is best. NA just doesn’t have the team experience that EU does; EU just strictly has better teams and team players.

And there is no good way to combine EU/NA. One group ends up with ping issues, and while it might not always be an issue just in queues, you can’t have a competitive tournament where “half” of the teams are forced to play with 150-200 ping. Not to mention it’d require who knows how much work on ANet’s part to combine things (probably a lot, considering how awful a lot of their coding is), and months of bugs as a result.

My PvP Minion Build

in PvP

Posted by: BurrTheKing.8571

BurrTheKing.8571

I just want to say I called the NA meta a mile away. Almost every “good” team I’ve played in TPvP was mostly bunkers. It’s painfully boring to play against and equally boring to watch.

If I had to guess, we might see EU move this way as well. From what I watched of the EU tourney most teams just had updated versions of the "old"meta. They probably didn’t want to mess around with a new team composition so close to the tourney. That’s like I said just a guess but it’s hard to deny the effectiveness of Engis that either spam bombs or knockbacks.

Just an angry old man…

Old Man Burr (War), Bad Hat Ben (Engi), Manly Manny Manson (Guard)

in PvP

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

And there is no good way to combine EU/NA. One group ends up with ping issues, and while it might not always be an issue just in queues, you can’t have a competitive tournament where “half” of the teams are forced to play with 150-200 ping.

It’s pretty simply actually. Have the final fours of a tournament play a set of matches while alternating the server locations. Even if there’s an advantages, as long as it’s balanced across the set, then it’s fair. You just can’t do it with single elimination.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

in PvP

Posted by: Julie Yann.5379

Julie Yann.5379

And there is no good way to combine EU/NA. One group ends up with ping issues, and while it might not always be an issue just in queues, you can’t have a competitive tournament where “half” of the teams are forced to play with 150-200 ping.

It’s pretty simply actually. Have the final fours of a tournament play a set of matches while alternating the server locations. Even if there’s an advantages, as long as it’s balanced across the set, then it’s fair. You just can’t do it with single elimination.

I could see some kind of All-Star NA vs EU tournament. I would include teams that made it to quarter finals of ToL

Be careful what you wish for, Anet might just give it to you “HoT”
“…let us eat and drink, for tomorrow we shall die;.”

in PvP

Posted by: xGreeD.6018

xGreeD.6018

[…]

On the first glance you might be right, but this 1v1-build has been viable for about as long as hambow has dominated the scene. Therefore Warriors running that build have strong 1v1 capabilities, but fall off in teamfights in comparision to hambow. Overall the warrior will try to do more on his own and without his team. In other words: That build is great if your team isn’t using the opportunities your stuns create anyways.

In addition to that hambow can still win most duels – in my opinion the difference just is not worth the loss in teamfight-capabilities.

“Take me to wonderland…”, she said,
as she finished beating me up a mole times.
Let’s try something you’re actually good at.

(edited by xGreeD.6018)

in PvP

Posted by: Merlin Dyfed Avalon.5046

Merlin Dyfed Avalon.5046

please add links to the matches that correspond to the swiss matchup flowchart.
thanks.

54 infractions and counting because a moderator doesn’t understand a joke when he/she sees it.
E.A.D.

in PvP

Posted by: Aitadis.8269

Aitadis.8269

The amount of people playing asuran in this tourny is ridiculous and something needs to be done to nerf or change asurans. It is so much harder to see asuran animations compared to the other races because of how tiny they are and gives them a huge advantage in pvp, especially in team fights where you have to be keeping track of multiple people and what abilities they are casting but it’s impossible when the entire enemy team is asura. I can’t see how anet can be this incompetent and not realize this after so long.

Illusionary Mesmer
[oof] Crystal Desert

(edited by Aitadis.8269)

in PvP

Posted by: KilluaDarkReaper.3684

KilluaDarkReaper.3684

Thank you so much Arena Net for even hosting an NA Tourney, taking the game millions of players love to the next level! GW2 joining E-sports this is what we have all been waiting for XD Keep it up Arena Net :P Making the community proud and making the best times of our gaming lifes!

Server – Darkhaven US
Guild – Darkhaven Elite
Thief

in PvP

Posted by: Crovax.7854

Crovax.7854

[…]

On the first glance you might be right, but this 1v1-build has been viable for about as long as hambow has dominated the scene. Therefore Warriors running that build have strong 1v1 capabilities, but fall off in teamfights in comparision to hambow. Overall the warrior will try to do more on his own and without his team. In other words: That build is great if your team isn’t using the opportunities your stuns create anyways.

In addition to that hambow can still win most duels – in my opinion the difference just is not worth the loss in teamfight-capabilities.

Haha yeah. You can scrap my statement anyways since the far pushing build was only used the first couple of matches; Now it’s hammertime again.
I really had such high hopes for other builds being showcased.

But maybe Anet decides to take a closer look at this braindead engi condspam after the the tournament is over.

http://youtu.be/otCpCn0l4Wo?t=2m8s

in PvP

Previous

Josh Davis.6015

Next

Day two starts in about 30 minutes!

Livestream: http://www.twitch.tv/guildwars2

Think you know who’s going to win? Take our prediction poll! http://strawpoll.me/1635456

Here’s a list of the remaining teams and match-ups:

• Match one: Good Fights vs It ain’t EZ being KPz
  • Match two: Team Lonely vs ApeX
  • Good Fights
    • Chaith
    • Toker
    • Kensuda
    • Rar
    • Genyen
  • It ain’t EZ being KPz
    • Reevz
    • Supcutie
    • Mado
    • Intense
    • Kaypud
  • Team Lonely
    • Caed
    • Tany
    • Necitor
    • Quilja
    • Hiba
  • ApeX Prime
    • Hman
    • Tarcis
    • Morfeus
    • Chubz
    • Nnight

(edited by Josh Davis.6015)

in PvP

Posted by: Elxdark.9702

Elxdark.9702

I wonder if everybody is prepared to watch the biggest EGO battle in gw2 between apes vs lonely.

I bet gf win this.

in PvP

Posted by: SlothBear.9846

SlothBear.9846

Anyone know Master Splinter’s build from KPz?

in PvP

Orangensaft.7139

that bug abuse… gave good fights some bad karma i guess xD

26x lvl 80 Characters

in PvP

Posted by: Nevets Crimsonwing.5271

Nevets Crimsonwing.5271

Darn, wanted the Engi team to win. Instead they got crushed ;(

in PvP

Posted by: Elxdark.9702

Elxdark.9702

well gf is dead, the end is near apex vs kpex we will get cancer if we watch it.

in PvP

Posted by: Shockwave.1230

Shockwave.1230

With how dominantly that KPz’s bunker might stacking comp handled Good Fights, I’m thinking Team Lonely will be getting rolled by Apex in similar fashion, since Team Lonely hasn’t had too long to build chemistry in coordinated spikes.

I’m hoping I’m wrong, I don’t want to see 1 dominant comp.

Sylvari Elementalist – Mystree Duskbloom (Lv 80)
Norn Guardian – Aurora Lustyr (Lv 80)
Mia A Shadows Glow – Human Thief (Lv 80)

in PvP

Posted by: BrunoBRS.5178

BrunoBRS.5178

the EU tournament was more interesting to watch >.>

rooting for team lonely, hoping the finals aren’t a timer duel >.>

LegendaryMythril/Zihark Darshell

in PvP

Orangensaft.7139

for Apex vs it aint EZ being KPz it really just comes down to skill since they have the same team setup

26x lvl 80 Characters

in PvP

Posted by: December.3946

December.3946

KPz is the PRIME example of fail balance. KPz literally played that comp for ONE day because their main classes were not working out in team queue. The bunker comp carries.

Physicks [The Dankening]

in PvP

Posted by: Asahi.1487

Asahi.1487

lol NA is so boring to watch, at least GF lost. Using deepstrike bug on a hambow lolol such fail, maybe they should rely on skill instead of a bug.

in PvP

Posted by: katniss.6735

katniss.6735

Hot-join is more entertaining than this.

Server: Maguuma – Leafy Lass – Elementalist (WvW)
Guild: Bill Murray [Bill]/ [DERP]
twitch.tv/mlgw2

in PvP

Posted by: sinject.4607

sinject.4607

this is so incredibly boring to watch, eu was fun to watch.

the only reason apex and kpz are winning anything is because of the fact they’re abusing the bunker meta. this meta is just cancerous.

in PvP

Posted by: Bahamzero.6783

Bahamzero.6783

These games with the bunker teams KPZ and Apex are so boring and rly makes me not wanna play atm.
i wish the game would promote damage builds more. skill/fast reflexes > bunkering

in PvP

BlackBeard.2873

As much as we all hated decap engie, I think we need to see people play them more. Decap engie THRIVES vs. these stupid bunker comps by being the master of player vs. point game.

Edit: Also, congrats to team Lonely. While they didn’t get the win on Khylo, they did show how to beat a bunker team: outrotate them and push all 3 points.

(edited by BlackBeard.2873)

in PvP

Posted by: Asahi.1487

Asahi.1487

^better than using a bug in a featured tournament

in PvP

Posted by: Iason Evan.3806

Iason Evan.3806

Good Fights rage quits. I’m bummed about this. So much for ambassadorial actions to grow the game. This very thing is a microcosm of what is wrong with the pvp attitude in this game.

Leader of The Guernsey Milking Coalition [MiLk] Sanctum of Rall

in PvP

Posted by: Harbinger.8637

Harbinger.8637

Yes, this is extremely boring to watch.

Guardian WvW Guide!
Heavens Rage

in PvP

Posted by: Nevets Crimsonwing.5271

Nevets Crimsonwing.5271

Lol EU and NA third place teams rage quit. Nice show of character and class there!