Nameplates

Nameplates

in PvP

Posted by: Sunfish.5970

Sunfish.5970

This has been mentioned before but has stopped being discussed as people have just accepted it as a broken part of the game that will never be looked at, but…..

Could we please please please have an option to make nameplates transparent? It’s not game breaking, but its super annoying and sometimes is the reason you die.
Like trying to teleport onto a ledge, but the nameplate gets in the way, so you use your shadowstep on your feet. I love those moments

Poopy Person : (

Nameplates

in PvP

Posted by: Calypso.2578

Calypso.2578

Please fix, thanks!

Kaalypzo ~ Twitch ~ YouTube

Nameplates

in PvP

Posted by: Reuptake.5016

Reuptake.5016

I think theres more to it and making them transparent won’t really fix anything.
First of, nameplates should in my opinion introduce couple of features/options in pvp:

- Class Color/Mark on Nameplates: it wouldn’t really make much of skill difference but it would reduce mess and the huge mess with T to target. But it would give a more clear view whats going on in front of you.

- Ability that nameplates are not clickable or that they move away from mouse cursor: some people prefer this, not me, but I get it.

- Conditions/Boons on Nameplates: You will never know does someone have a specific condition until you target it, meaning if you do AoE condition on 3 individual targets on the ground, you would need to target them all to check if condition is there or just hope its there and keep on. I think this is crucial to have.

- Disable namplates: does this exist? If not it should, some players prefer it this way, again, not me.

d0g 4life

Nameplates

in PvP

Posted by: Evan Lesh

Evan Lesh

PvP Gameplay Programmer

I like threads like this because we can nerd out about UI polish.

I agree nameplates should better display team colors and classes. Sometimes it’s hard to tell what profession someone is when they are wearing outfits, or you’re new to the game and haven’t learned all the spell effects yet.

By default, only your targeted or hovered players show nameplates. Is this still too in-the-way? The nameplates themselves don’t have mouse detection, things just have large interact radii. And when your’e ground targeting, you should be able to still click on the ground just fine through people, so maybe there’s a bug?

Bluxgore (80 Warr), Xilz (80 Necro), Ivo (80 Eng)
Bra (80 Guard), Fixie Bow (80 Ranger), Wcharr (80 Ele)
Xdragonshadowninjax (80 Thief)

Nameplates

in PvP

Posted by: Zietlogik.6208

Zietlogik.6208

I agree nameplates should better display team colors and classes. Sometimes it’s hard to tell what profession someone is when they are wearing outfits, or you’re new to the game and haven’t learned all the spell effects yet.

By default, only your targeted or hovered players show nameplates. Is this still too in-the-way? The nameplates themselves don’t have mouse detection, things just have large interact radii. And when your’e ground targeting, you should be able to still click on the ground just fine through people, so maybe there’s a bug?

He means the giant name at the top of the screen

The UI element with the character image, name, guild name at the top of the screen interferes with mouse clicks, if you try and fire a long range ground-targetted ability, or use one above you where that picture/name/guild name area is, you then use the ability at your feet…which can be quite annoying to say the least.

I do like the sounds of colored nameplates though. Hate to say it, but it worked in many MMOs (such as WoW), where Ally nameplates would be green, and enemy ones would be class specific (shaman/blue, paladin/pink, priest/white, etc.)

That would be a nice addition TBH.

Also a side note, is there any way we can get another option for UI scaling/size? even with the smallest settings, it is still too large, perhaps a “tiny” setting?

I miss GW1 customization sooooo much.

Zietlogik [Warrior] Chronologix [Ranger] Ziet The Dreaded [Necromancer] Zietlogic [Revenant]

(edited by Zietlogik.6208)

Nameplates

in PvP

Posted by: Aenaos.8160

Aenaos.8160

I believe the op is talking about the target unit frame.

-Win a pip,lose a pip,win a pip,lose a pip,lose a pip,
lose a pip,win 2 pips,lose a pip,lose a pip…………..-
-Go go Espartz.-

Nameplates

in PvP

Posted by: ens.9854

ens.9854

Oh god the mouse detection on UI elements is the bane of my pvp existence. I’m not even clicking the mouse… I use fast casting SO WHY DOES IT KEEP TARGETTING MY FEET ARRGH. help me Evan

Nameplates

in PvP

Posted by: ronpierce.2760

ronpierce.2760

The UI element with the character image, name, guild name at the top of the screen interferes with mouse clicks, if you try and fire a long range ground-targetted ability, or use one above you where that picture/name/guild name area is, you then use the ability at your feet.

I made a video showing what he means. I’ll link it when it’s done uploading.

Another note, I wish they’d make it so that right click still turns your body when immobilized or standing still like it does while moving or casting so you can efficiently turn around when immobilized without having to keyboard turn. Some moves don’t turn your body when you aren’t facing your enemy, it just cancels the spell, which really adds to the immobilize frustration.

High Warlord Sikari (80 Reaper) / Lord Siekron (80 DH)
Warlord Sikari (80 Scrapper)

Nameplates

in PvP

Posted by: Maja.6372

Maja.6372

Not sure if this is too offtopic but maybe you could also do something about how to deselect a target clicking an empty space on screen does not work all the time
or give us an option if we want to leap in the direction we are looking instead of at the target even though one is selected (like with engeneer rocketshoes utility not like the swordleaps of warrior and guardian)
oh and it would be nice to have an option for livebars above all players so you wont need to tab or mouse over enemies all the time to find a low live target

Nameplates

in PvP

ronpierce.2760

Here’s a video of the problem UI is causing for ground targets. This also happens on the map, skillbar and probably any other clickable unit.

Nameplates

in PvP

Posted by: Johje Holan.4607

Johje Holan.4607

Also a side note, is there any way we can get another option for UI scaling/size? even with the smallest settings, it is still too large, perhaps a “tiny” setting?

I miss GW1 customization sooooo much.

Yes that giant name at the top of the screen when you have someone targeted is very much in-the-way. I posted about it at launch. I hate, hate, hate it.

The option to move it to a different location would be ideal.

And yes UI scaling. I too so much miss GW1 customization.

Nameplates

in PvP

Posted by: Eurantien.4632

Eurantien.4632

Why can’t we have a slider that changes the size or transparency of the number SPLAT when we hit a target. It makes it very challenging to see animation sometimes.

Nameplates

in PvP

ronpierce.2760

It’s not game breaking, but its super annoying and sometimes is the reason you die.
Like trying to teleport onto a ledge, but the nameplate gets in the way, so you use your shadowstep on your feet. I love those moments

I dont really get what you mean? I think I never had this before although I main Thief..

I just posted a video of exactly what has been meant by all of this.

Here’s a video of the problem UI is causing for ground targets. This also happens on the map, skillbar and probably any other clickable unit.

Watch the video. The mouse being over the UI elements interrupt ground placement.

Nameplates

in PvP

Posted by: Zaklex.6308

Zaklex.6308

I’m going to presume this is only an issue in PvP and maybe WvW? By asking I’m not saying it’s something that shouldn’t be fixed or somehow alieviated…but don’t those nameplates show up anywhere you have something targeted, even PvE?

Nameplates

in PvP

Posted by: insanemaniac.2456

insanemaniac.2456

I’m going to presume this is only an issue in PvP and maybe WvW? By asking I’m not saying it’s something that shouldn’t be fixed or somehow alieviated…but don’t those nameplates show up anywhere you have something targeted, even PvE?

its an issue everywhere, but pvp is competitive and wvw is toxic, so its a bigger problem there cuz when you die you get kittentalked. in pve you just kick the kittentalker.

JQ: Rikkity
head here to discuss wvw without fear of infractions

Nameplates

in PvP

Posted by: Yamsandjams.3267

Yamsandjams.3267

While we’re on this topic, I still hate how the minimap works against me when I try to turn my camera. I’ll be trying to rotate my camera, but because I have the sheer audacity to slightly place my mouse over the edge of the minimap, I instead start panning that thing to god-knows-where instead of actually turn my camera.

Would be nice if I could use a key combination to pan it instead of a simple click. For instance, shift+click and dragging will pan the minimap, whereas simply clicking on it won’t do anything and still allow me to rotate my camera.

I’m already required to have very quick reactions to be anywhere close to competitive, I don’t need my minimap sitting there flipping the bird at me while I play.

Nameplates

in PvP

Posted by: Rusc.4978

Rusc.4978

I would love for GW2 to inherit the UI customization of its predecessor. For those that have never played the original Guild Wars, I included a screenshot of the interface options.

Being able to move even half of those boxes in GW2 would vastly improve my gaming experience—especially the target display, chat box, party window, and effects monitor. (If we can’t get better UI for Revealed, I’d at least like to move the icon to a place where I can more easily see it.)

Attachments:

Prosper

Brought to you by ArenaNet. Soon™.

Nameplates

in PvP

Posted by: Sunfish.5970

Sunfish.5970

It’s not a bug. This video shows what I mean, when you have someone targeted, and then try to aim your ground target skill at the place of the nameplate, the skill you originally wanted somewhere else will land on your feet.

Making them non-interactive? or making the interact radii smaller might be a step in the right direction. Also possibly different UI sizes. I just want to use my ground targeted skills without actively avoiding nameplates. :\

Poopy Person : (

Nameplates

in PvP

Posted by: nightblood.7910

nightblood.7910

Honestly, if we are talking about UI, I really really miss the custom UI of gw1. I would love to move things around.

For example, both have the nameplate non-interactive and movable. So I can put it in a better place of view. This way I can better maintain an eye on their boons/condi’s while also keeping an eye on everything else.

I play on a 42" TV and well its kinda hard to do that well right now.

Nameplates

in PvP

Posted by: uboot.8715

uboot.8715

Altho I think that nameplates contains too much information as far as PvP goes.
It would be nice if we have a tick box for simplifing nameplates. Like “Simple Party UI”. Making avatar smaller, hiding title, guild name etc.

Champion Titles: 6/8
The Various Artists [feat]