NcSoft about gw2 expansion.

in PvP

Posted by: Jony.6815

Jony.6815

Look what NCsoft “Nah Seong Chan” said about a gw2 expansion :>

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-05-13-ncsoft-profits-up-yoy-but-down-on-last-quarter

i wonder how long this post stays undeleted *^^

in PvP

Posted by: GankSinatra.2653

GankSinatra.2653

No way! Never saw that coming. Then again didnt they state before release that expansions would come once every year? Or was that another game.

in PvP

Posted by: Zanthrax.6538

Zanthrax.6538

interesting….
Im concerned….well…kinda….if it progress the pvp scene of gw2 sure….but iunno….less wasting time on expansions for fixing current issues.

in PvP

Posted by: Myrmidian Eudoros.4671

Myrmidian Eudoros.4671

Expansion? The game is out less than a year and sales are plummetting. I don’t think the NC Soft rep they talked to has a clue. If they try to push out an expansion now it is just jumping the shark.

Fix what’s there first, then MAYBE you can talk about expanding.

in PvP

Posted by: Quickhit.3620

Quickhit.3620

Expansion is already ready from the launch of the game.
“Monitoring the most profitable time to release it”
Market rules

in PvP

Posted by: Valkyriez.6578

Valkyriez.6578

Expansion? The game is out less than a year and sales are plummetting. I don’t think the NC Soft rep they talked to has a clue. If they try to push out an expansion now it is just jumping the shark.

Fix what’s there first, then MAYBE you can talk about expanding.

Sales are plummeting? GW2 has sold easily over 3 million box copies, making it one of the highest indavidual selling MMO games ever. It smoked SWTOR and Rift, Tera, Aion and most likely Neverwinter aswell.

I don’t think Arena Net are overly concerned.

in PvP

Posted by: Jony.6815

Jony.6815

No way! Never saw that coming. Then again didnt they state before release that expansions would come once every year? Or was that another game.

You clearly missing anets official position about expansions on gw2 *^^

in PvP

Posted by: Myrmidian Eudoros.4671

Myrmidian Eudoros.4671

Sales are plummeting? GW2 has sold easily over 3 million box copies, making it one of the highest indavidual selling MMO games ever. It smoked SWTOR and Rift, Tera, Aion and most likely Neverwinter aswell.

I don’t think Arena Net are overly concerned.

The 3 million were basically “on release” purchases. After that word of mouth dictates what sales become. You surely have noticed a declining population in ALL game modes by now. GW2 is failing the eyeball test from the early adopters that purchased on release.

It smoked those games in sales because:
1) Those games were bad
2) GW2 is a legacy game that had a built in fan base from GW

Comparing GW2 to games that already failed and saying “it is better than these” does not make it a winner. An expansion now would make it worse, not better.

A-net is not “concerned” in the sense that they are making money, but the core game is the proverbial golden goose, and the expansions are the eggs. Trying to push an egg out of the goose now isn’t a great idea. Take care of the goose and get it healthy first.

Thats all I’m sayin’

in PvP

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

How do the author of that article conclude from this:
“In terms of box sales and microtransactions are still very strong, and of course we are preparing an expansion pack but in terms of when we will actually launch it, it’s something we are still monitoring… We are looking to the performance of the game and then we will decide what will be the best time to do the launch.”

That the sales of Guild Wars 2 are falling?
“NCsoft’s managing director, Nah Seong Chan, also hinted during the earnings call that the company was planning to address falling Guild Wars 2 sales with a new expansion pack.”

Anyone knows any more specific numbers or the author just wrote something without anything to base it on, there is nothing on the article about it. Important parts in bold. Sorry if I don’t trust that article… it provides nothing.

in PvP

Posted by: emon.1863

emon.1863

who will buy another “broken” game ?:D

in PvP

Posted by: Sprawl.3891

Sprawl.3891

huge expansion and will probably only include one new conquest map for spvp

Sprawl – Necro – Eredon Terrace

in PvP

Posted by: MaXi.3642

MaXi.3642

expansion is a good thing as long as it adds new things to the game, not repair something broken or change what they did wrong first time… so if they fix current issues, bugs and add features which should’ve been in the game at release and THEN release expansion with even more completely new things, i’ll be ok

in PvP

Posted by: Zanthrax.6538

Zanthrax.6538

doesnt it make sense that sales would slow down? its not a sub fee etc…so of course box sales will eventually slow down….

in PvP

Posted by: Gunner.7342

Gunner.7342

And then they announce the xpac will have Guild halls, GvG in Gw 1 Format and puft sales goes through the roof lol

in PvP

Posted by: GankSinatra.2653

GankSinatra.2653

Thats why it was a question. Im not sure. Thanks for the clarification though /sarcasm

in PvP

Posted by: Gandarel.5091

Gandarel.5091

Thats why it was a question. Im not sure. Thanks for the clarification though /sarcasm

New expansions each year was GW1’s market idea, not GW2’s.

Captain Deutschland, Ozzy The Insane, Hanz Limbchewer – r40+ mes/nec/engi Desolation
Fear The Crazy [Huns]

in PvP

Posted by: Bhawb.7408

Bhawb.7408

I’d be surprised if ANet isn’t doing fairly well with micro transactions right now. A lot of people shell out money for gem store stuff (QUAGGAN BACKPACKS!!).

I’m looking forward to expansions though, IMO the expansions really made gw1 a fun game.

But of Corpse – Watch us on YouTube
My PvP Minion Build

(edited by Bhawb.7408)

in PvP

Posted by: Kwll.1468

Kwll.1468

GW2 has been successful by any MMORPG standard. Don’t try to extrapolate our frustrations with spvp to how successful pve and WvWvW have been. WvWvW is wildly popular. Resources go to what is popular. As for expansion duh that has always been the A-Net model the yearly expansion. I always expected a yearly expansion. This is not exactly stunning news.

in PvP

Posted by: Baldric.6781

Baldric.6781

MMmm.

“NCsoft’s latest financials are out, and show a 49 per cent fall in net income on last quarter, but a !!!322!!! per cent rise year on year.”

So they sold like freaking crazy, and now they need to live with the micro transactions. I don’t think the company is going to die any time soon :P .
Although a PvE expansion can’t be too bad (a pvp one will be a way to lose money, and most companies try to avoid that).

in PvP

Posted by: Brutalistik.6473

Brutalistik.6473

Well I’ll say this…the person who made that article loves female asuras. Anything else..keep it rocking GW2

Pineapples

in PvP

Posted by: LiveSpartan.8206

LiveSpartan.8206

in PvP

Posted by: Motoko.2875

Motoko.2875

The 3 million were basically “on release” purchases. After that word of mouth dictates what sales become. You surely have noticed a declining population in ALL game modes by now. GW2 is failing the eyeball test from the early adopters that purchased on release.

1) Those games were bad

Comparing GW2 to games that already failed and saying “it is better than these” does not make it a winner. An expansion now would make it worse, not better.

A-net is not “concerned” in the sense that they are making money, but the core game is the proverbial golden goose, and the expansions are the eggs. Trying to push an egg out of the goose now isn’t a great idea. Take care of the goose and get it healthy first.

Thats all I’m sayin’

This.

Look at D3. It had sales the olbiterated anything else.

Why?

It lived off the legacy of D2 and then continued to smash the dreams of any diehard fan.

Seems familiar here…

IGN: Motoko, Motoko Kai, Gladiator Motoko – Zero Quality [zQ], [LaG], [USA]

in PvP

Posted by: Brutalistik.6473

Brutalistik.6473

1) Those games were bad

Thats all I’m sayin’

This.

Look at D3. It had sales the olbiterated anything else.

Why?

It lived off the legacy of D2 and then continued to smash the dreams of any diehard fan.

Seems familiar here…

Gotcha, I understand that passion there.

Pineapples

in PvP

Posted by: yolosmurf.8052

yolosmurf.8052

wow thats a massive overreaction – some guy somewhat said that they might consider doing the same thing they did with the first guild wars at some point in time when they see fit

doesnt get any more precise than that