New PvPer looking for some insight

in PvP

Posted by: Tepi.3456

Tepi.3456

Hello fellow players!

First of, I know there’s already alot of topics about the current PvP season, so I apologize if this is considered spam.

I’m a returning gw2 player, and I’ve only delved into PvP during this season, so I’m not sure if I’m missing some key element of the gameplay, so please tell me if that’s the case.

So, the problem I’m having is climbing the ladder and sometimes frustratingly constant losing streaks, and I’m wondering if theres something wrong in my contribution and if there’s something I should do differently.

I currently play the chronophantasma-meta build, with some slight changes to improve my survivabiliy through stealth skills. I usually start off by going to the middle and start building up the clone/condi spam, and I usually stick there for a good while in the beginning, as I feel I can build some decent pressure and havoc, and atleast keep the the spot contested if I’m outnumbered. Usually I can pull of atleast 3-4 times all the shatters. I know the damage output is not optimal, as I don’t usually get close to my targets myself to ensure, I don’t die as I’m still learning and not the quickest of reflexes, and if I die, that’s just more points to the opposing team. More often than not, I’m left alone in the middle as my teammates have died, or haven’t showed up in the first place. And usually when I’m there, it feels like people don’t even bother to come back, instead they go on 3/2v1s on the side points and seem to be engaged there for a good while. Another thing I see are these desperate attacks 1v3 attacks to the middle point where my teammate rushes in, does a spike, maybe getting either one down or not even that, and ends up dying. Again, feeding points to the opposing team.

Whe PvPed more with my druid, I usually went after the map specific object in between capping (forest ceeatures, the laser cannon, the temple thingies), but now as a chrono, I usually seek out the the enemy teams geoup and apply pressure and keep them occupied through the shatter/condi spam, and hope someone else is taking care of the map objective. I’m not sure if there’s any sense in that, but the way I see it, if people actually stay and try to clear the clone spam, the enemy has 1-3 people who aren’t going for the objective at that time.

Too often my matches end up my team losing by 100-250 pts. Sometimes even more. I don’t know if the personal stats reflect anything, but usually I reach k/d ratio of around 12-14 with 0-2 deaths. Damage output being around 22-25 of team dmg.

Am I doing sonething personally wrong, and how should I change the way I do my role? It’s frustrating when i feel like I’m constantly doing sonething other than dying, but at the and still losing. And my goal is to get out of the bronze league, but the losing streaks keep bringing my rating down.

Sorry for the long post, any input is appreciated, as I hope to improve!

in PvP

Posted by: Faux Play.6104

Faux Play.6104

There is a QA thread open started by the Mesmer for the pro league team that won the last two tournaments. Based on what I’ve gone up against, mesmers that portal well are the hardest to deal with. They can use it to both safely disengage from a fight and control more than one spot on the map.

in PvP

Tepi.3456

Thanks, I’ll check it out! I actually dropped out the portal and took decoy instead. Couldn’t use the portals efficiently enough, so I thought I’d get the basics and rotations to work before learning the use portals.

in PvP

Posted by: Wolfric.9380

Wolfric.9380

Mesmer is one of the best map control classes. It should disengage if a fight looks hopleless. Mesesmes play sidepoints much more then other classes (exept thief decaps).
Train portal and use it. Or you go for a non meta build that fits you and has the purpose to fight in a team mid.

(edited by Wolfric.9380)

in PvP

Posted by: Ocosh.5843

Ocosh.5843

First, I would suggest that if you’re still learning how to PvP, or how to play a profession with which you’re not familiar, you find hotjoin matches or queue Unranked. Ranked play expects you to be playing at your skill level as a player, and if you’re using something unfamiliar, you’re hurting yourself.

As point 1b, if you’re using the meta build but have changed it, then you’re not using the meta build. You’re free to play as you like, but that’s the build people use for a reason. It’s also built with a specific role in mind.

Mesmer’s map mobility is second only to Thief. Portal is one of the stronger profession-unique abilities in the game. In a typical, regular-folk-level, 1/4 split, Mes is top candidate after Thief for taking home, because you can leave a portal for retreat/to prevent a decap, or leave a portal mid and decap far, or in any other way just play the map.

As a corollary of the above, Mes’ contribution to a teamfight is ok, but it’s not superb — especially a big team fight where there’s going to be lots of condi clear and AoE to waste your clones.

Beyond this, it sounds mostly like a matter of learning rotations and where you’ll be effective. The number of situations in which it is strategically advantageous to fight until you might die are exceedingly few and will pretty much only be the result of the other team foolishly or desperately overcommitting. Don’t rely on having foolish opponents. If the fight is lost, disengage.

As a Mesmer, you are mobile and have lots of survival tricks. Not dying is the least you can do.

It’s a team game mode. Watch the map to see how you can support the team. If they’ve given up on mid and have retreated home or pushed far, you can help cover home or help win that far fight with a quick chicken to let your team regain map control. If you’ve got map control, you can often do more for a win by applying map pressure than by applying damage pressure.

You will have bad teammates from time to time, but don’t assume the weak link is never you.

Do not go beast on Druid.

in PvP

Tepi.3456

Thanks for the feedbak! I had a feeling that I wasn’t being mobile enough/ utilizing the class the way it was meant to. I’ll try to get a hold of using the portals and the sidepoint competion and get some studying done! I’ve kept thinking it the way wrong way; I thought with the condi/clone spam, I’d be useful keeping the pressure on, when smashing around is going on in the middle. Atleast in the start rush anyways. Good to know, so I don’t keep repeating the same mistake over and over! ^^

in PvP

Tepi.3456

Thanks fornyour input aswell Ocosh! I figured that there’s loads to improve on my part, hence why I’m asking here and not raging in-game. And as it seems, my minfset for the class has been wrong aswell. Like I said earlier, I’m new to PvP, and map rotation and class roles (some atleast) have felt surprisingly random. There’s hardly anything said outloud, just people blinking the minimap, and the only 2 classes being pretty constant in their roles have been rogues and dh. Other classes haven’t been as consistant or clear in their respective roles, atleast when I’ve tried to observe them during matches. I admit, I didn’t watch any guide thingies prior to hopping into the PvP scene, I apologize for that for anyone who has been in my team. :P

Ps. One thing that’s often kept me from going to sidepoints, is that most of the time there’s a rogue in my team, or someone else already rushing out the side. So in a case where there’s already going for the homepoint, am I supposed to head to middle or bugger off somewhere else?

(edited by Tepi.3456)