New finisher concern, particle effect clutter

in PvP

Posted by: Novuake.2691

Novuake.2691

Hihi! I would like to open by saying thanks for the work being done on PVP! It needed some love and it seems to be getting it!

I just want to raise a concern than sprang to mind when I saw the new Jungle dragon finisher.
Here it is : https://twitter.com/GuildWars2/status/651849925282635776

This finisher seems to have the largest and most imposing visual effect than any finisher previously.
Most other finishers are a lot more transparent or are above the your main field of vision for checking on AOE rings and the like.

This is a clear tie-in to the already prevalent particle effect clutter we have problems with already in game and we really don’t need more clutter.

I would like to request that you keep this in mind when designing finishers, they need to not inhibit telegraphing to such an extent.

Some suggestions.
1. Make them more transparent and less colourful.
2. Raise it higher from the ground similar to the way current dragon and phoenix rank is too be less obstructive.

Thanks for reading! See you in the mists!

Signed, avid PvPer.

Retriever Iiat – Asura Engineer
Private retriever of runaway NPCs
Mistband[MIST] – PVP Training guild EU

(edited by Novuake.2691)

in PvP

Posted by: Drennon.7190

Drennon.7190

+1. Dodging was supposed to be the most important defensive tool. Pile on the current amount of flashy effects and vision blocking abilities; dodging quickly becomes RNG.

Baer

in PvP

Posted by: kdaddy.5431

kdaddy.5431

Wow if thats the new finisher it is a bit much. I seriously feel like Michael Bay is doing the new animations for the new specs and finishers.

in PvP

Novuake.2691

Wow if thats the new finisher it is a bit much. I seriously feel like Michael Bay is doing the new animations for the new specs and finishers.

Don’t get me wrong. It looks great(i don’t like the fire breathing last bit though), it just does not belong in a game where telegraphing is so kitten important.

in PvP

Posted by: WolfsFang.2301

WolfsFang.2301

Or option c, update your game engine.

in PvP

Posted by: Hammerguard.9834

Hammerguard.9834

Get over it.

• Message Body length must at least be 15.
… I still want tengu.

in PvP

Hammerguard.9834

If the players are actually concerned about it they’ll take care of it themselves by not using these finishers. Anet doesn’t need to intervene for something so trivial.

… I still want tengu.

in PvP

Posted by: Vavume.8065

Vavume.8065

Can you just not paint my dragon finisher gold and be done with it? that’s really all I wanted…

in PvP

Novuake.2691

Get over it.

• Message Body length must at least be 15.

Very constructive. Much obliged.

Why do I even bother…

in PvP

Posted by: funassistant.6589

funassistant.6589

Get over it.

/thread

Team Africa [TA]
European Overlord

in PvP

Posted by: witcher.3197

witcher.3197

+1 this is a serious issue. The team that makes these has no idea about PvP and nobody bothered to tell them about it I guess.

in PvP

Posted by: BolshoiBooze.3406

BolshoiBooze.3406

I like how the new finisher looks, but yeah this is a legitimate issue. I hope they add an option to reduce particle effects, it would be useful in every game mode.

in PvP

Posted by: Valento.9852

Valento.9852

Can you just not paint my dragon finisher gold and be done with it? that’s really all I wanted…

Or paint it invisible?

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer

in PvP

Posted by: Minos.5168

Minos.5168

The issue, in my opinion, is that finishers are basically an extremely colorful version of taunting.

In FPSes, it’s fairly common for people to “do things” to your corpse, mocking you.

(The only difference being that in GW2 the individual performing the finisher isn’t forced to stay around after they initiate the animation.)

Thus, I think, ANet acknowledges that a lot of people want an over-the-top way to mock the person they just finished.

And, from that perspective, it’s kind of hard to imagine them giving you the option to simply turn them off.

If you’re worried about particle effects, there’s a slider for that (but it may make other things harder to see if you turn it way down)

in PvP

Posted by: TheGrimm.5624

TheGrimm.5624

Agree with the OP and don’t want to discredit someones hard work on this task, but it is something to consider if not on this finisher but future ones. The new finisher does use up quite a bit of screen real estate that might make seeing what is going on around a group of downed people much more difficult. Possibly reducing the over all model some or moving it slightly higher off the ground might aid in this. In some cases this might not be an issue but in others such as a group of downed people on both sides this might make the difference in a fight if you trigger the wrong ability because you could not see what was going on.

GW/PoTBS/WAR/Rift/WAR/GW2/CU

De Mortuis Nil Nisi Bonum.

in PvP

Posted by: iSmack.1768

iSmack.1768

I’ve been wanting an option to reduce various visual clutters this game has…

Overly flashy Particles/Spell effects
Minis
Backpieces
Add finishers to list now too

(edited by iSmack.1768)

in PvP

Posted by: bliss.4305

bliss.4305

This is a very serious concern and already 2 players of the professional scene (Helseth and Phantaram) backed me up on this one.

The new finishers are going to distrupt the flow of the battle if done in such a distruptive way. The common consensus seems to be a drop down option on the menu to “standardize finishers” just the way you can standardize the player models.

I suppose anyone who plays on a casual level will not care about this but on high-tier pvp, this is a big no no.

+1 OP, good feedback.

in PvP

Posted by: D best.3547

D best.3547

If the players are actually concerned about it they’ll take care of it themselves by not using these finishers. Anet doesn’t need to intervene for something so trivial.

I agree with this but at the same time the most used finisher is probably dragon in mid tier PvP. For them its a show of rank and how much they PvP and I’m guessing they will all switch to the HoT dragon. I personally use llama as its just enough to taunt the opponents while not being too large and obstructive to payer vision.

Sea of Sorrows
Champion Paragon

in PvP

Posted by: Preserver.8457

Preserver.8457

The issue, in my opinion, is that finishers are basically an extremely colorful version of taunting.

In FPSes, it’s fairly common for people to “do things” to your corpse, mocking you.

I agree. I don’t, however, think that’s a good thing. Inciting negative reactions isn’t good for player behavior or community. Being able to hide finishers mitigates this.

in PvP

Posted by: Crinn.7864

Crinn.7864

There should just be a toggle in the game options that sets all finishers from other players to the default finisher.

Sanity is for the weak minded.
YouTube

in PvP

Posted by: abc.5790

abc.5790

ok that was funny. u sux if you didn’t laff at that…or maybe im shallow

[Star] In My Prono
EU Scrub

in PvP

Posted by: kdaddy.5431

kdaddy.5431

ok that was funny. u sux if you didn’t laff at that…or maybe im shallow

hahahaha thanks i just watched the imagination land south park episodes and thought it was a perfect fit. So maybe im shallow too

in PvP

Posted by: StickerHappy.8052

StickerHappy.8052

Wow! So we are whining about finishers now?

GG.

Champion Illusionist Champion Hunter Champion Phantom Champion Magus

in PvP

Posted by: choovanski.5462

choovanski.5462

imagine 2 or three of those going off on one point. such clutter.

. Engi & Warr . Beta > 2017 Death of PvP
currently a Boyfriend main :P
Waiting To ReRoll Mystic & Forget About Tyria

in PvP

Hammerguard.9834

Yeah, because 3 people get stomped at the same time all the time. And lets just pretend rallying isn’t a thing. And lets pretend they’re all on the same team inwhich seeing doesn’t matter since the fight was already decided.

… I still want tengu.

in PvP

Posted by: choovanski.5462

choovanski.5462

Yeah, because 3 people get stomped at the same time all the time. And lets just pretend rallying isn’t a thing. And lets pretend they’re all on the same team inwhich seeing doesn’t matter since the fight was already decided.

i do double & triple stomps often. it’s one of the main reasons i was sad about the rampage nerf. at 20sec duration it was so easy to get three stomps off in form. now three is pretty tight for time, but two stomps is still very doable.

. Engi & Warr . Beta > 2017 Death of PvP
currently a Boyfriend main :P
Waiting To ReRoll Mystic & Forget About Tyria

in PvP

Novuake.2691

GG.

You might want to look up the word whining in a dictionary or reread my post.
Not sure where your logic failed…

in PvP

witcher.3197

GG.

After seeing many comments like this I wonder why do PvE players come to the PvP forum, pick an issue they can’t comprehend and then whine about other people bringing up the issue? Would fixing this hurt you somehow or something?

in PvP

Novuake.2691

GG.

After seeing many comments like this I wonder why do PvE players come to the PvP forum, pick an issue they can’t comprehend and then whine about other people bringing up the issue? Would fixing this hurt you somehow or something?

I really can’t answer that, I don’t think the people that do it can either.

in PvP

Novuake.2691

Seems we won’t be getting a dev response, even if it is a serious problem, the particle effect clutter I mean.

in PvP

witcher.3197

Any word on getting a “standard enemy finisher” option?

in PvP

Posted by: Ross Biddle.2367

Ross Biddle.2367

Sometimes I get annoyed by my own finisher blocking my vision. Especially considering I’m stomping every few seconds. Winning get’s really annoying!

Never change my finisher though. Ohwell.

in PvP

Posted by: SlayerSixx.5763

SlayerSixx.5763

First world PvP pro problems.

@OP

Yea, the new finishers seem veeeeeeeery over the top. I like the detail and they’re very polished, but this isn’t something you just ignore in the middle of a fight. I’ll put my support behind a slider option.