New match making system is no good.

in PvP

Posted by: Aowys.9420

Aowys.9420

so far every game i have been in since update has been blowouts win or lose.
seems the new system doesnt do rank yet does class match up .

Engineer
Aowys

in PvP

Posted by: Laserbolt.6731

Laserbolt.6731

Not too many lining up in the queue today, I suppose. Limited number of players. Not a mix.

Scrapper: “Frank from Research”

in PvP

Posted by: Justin ODell.9517

Justin ODell.9517

PvP Server Programmer

Next

Can you give me a little more detail that that?

So far today (and I assume you’re taking about today’s update) you’ve had 1 blowout. It was all solos, and had even ratings and ranks.

Server Programmer (sPvP)
Isle of Janthir: Flux, Latch, Aegir

in PvP

Posted by: Laserbolt.6731

Laserbolt.6731

So far today (and I assume you’re taking about today’s update) you’ve had 1 blowout. It was all solos, and had even ratings and ranks.

Thanks for the reality check, Justin.

Scrapper: “Frank from Research”

in PvP

Posted by: MightyMicah.7451

MightyMicah.7451

Thanks for the reality check, Justin.

I know right LOL

This is that new sound. Ya’ll ain’t ready.

in PvP

Posted by: style.6173

style.6173

You really need to stop using ranks. Use only actual gameplay results. If someone has no gameplay results, then let them start at the bottom and work their way up.

in PvP

Posted by: Aowys.9420

Aowys.9420

I disagree and yes todays update . match where you win by 200 points or more is a blowout in my mind each game so far win or lose have been blowouts and yes i solo que .

it seems if i go by the finishers that the matches are not by rank .it would oh so seem that the system is matching classes .

I am not trying to be mean .

Engineer
Aowys

in PvP

Previous

Justin ODell.9517

PvP Server Programmer

Next

I disagree and yes todays update . match where you win by 200 points or more is a blowout in my mind each game so far win or lose have been blowouts and yes i solo que .

it seems if i go by the finishers that the matches are not by rank .it would oh so seem that the system is matching classes .

I am not trying to be mean .

If we go by your metric, you had 3.

The first was all solos but counted as buy because the enemy team had a deserter. The ratings were very slightly in in your favor, but rank was in their favor.

The second was the one I mentioned.

The last was all solos and you lost, but you had both the rating and rank advantage.

Server Programmer (sPvP)

in PvP

Posted by: lvis.3824

lvis.3824

Would it be possible to display such information in the leaderboard ? ( Matchhistory )
Or is it just to much effort ?

It’s very cool from you that you check peoples match statistics if someone thinks he might has a bugged account, so the information about all this in there, but you have to check “manually” .

I think the community would really really apreciate it if more detailed information was shown.

in PvP

Previous

Justin ODell.9517

PvP Server Programmer

Next

Would it be possible to display such information in the leaderboard ? ( Matchhistory )
Or is it just to much effort ?

It’s very cool from you that you check peoples match statistics if someone thinks he might has a bugged account, so the information about all this in there, but you have to check “manually” .

I think the community would really really apreciate it if more detailed information was shown.

I think the intent is to make this available in some fashion, but I have no timetable.

Server Programmer (sPvP)

in PvP

Posted by: Nyspar.6103

Nyspar.6103

Forget about ranks and ratings Justin. What really matters was how many Engis and celestial Eles he was up against, and how many he had on his team.

[DnT] TargNyspar
Targaryen / Nymaria / Dwagonfire / Dwagonhunter

in PvP

Posted by: Brigg.6189

Brigg.6189

Actually that’s a fun idea. Could you publish any stats about classes and their win rate, mmr, or ranks?

in PvP

Previous

Justin ODell.9517

PvP Server Programmer

Next

Actually that’s a fun idea. Could you publish any stats about classes and their win rate, mmr, or ranks?

Maybe, but it may not be accurate.

Server Programmer (sPvP)

in PvP

Posted by: Lordrosicky.5813

Lordrosicky.5813

Justin there seems to be some sort of issue with matchmaking. I am not sure what either. I played in a full roster today for the first time in a while and almost every game was a total stomp with not long queue times. Has everyone just quit? Or is it really this bad?

In fact the only close games were purely due to sloppiness on our part for getting really bored and complacent.

Is there really just nobody queuing or is matchmaking pairing people too fast? Or are these issues linked? Currently it isn’t working regardless.

Character: Henry rank million/Duke Henry
Necromancer/Casual Warrior
[Team] Best WvW guild of all time. EASILY.

in PvP

Posted by: ArrDee.2573

ArrDee.2573

I think the intent is to make this available in some fashion, but I have no timetable.

You could you know, show people’s ratings! Literally every other game does this! Literally every game that has matchmaking will show people’s ratings! If not the exact number, then they’ll lump people into MMR tiers! Like CSGO! Like LoL! Like Dota2! Like Starcraft! Like every other goshdarn esportiest games out there right now! Literally every game! If people start harassing other people about their rating, oh look a block function! A report function! What’s the issue here!

Wahoo! Bye frands!

#1 Engi NA and world first rank 80!
#1 Frandliest person NA!
http://www.twitch.tv/Livskis <-It’s back!

in PvP

Posted by: Bedrax.3294

Bedrax.3294

plz for god sake, remaster the mmr calculating system it’s just too broken, no names to the top.
I know some of them cause i have played against or refused to play with because they are just to bad.
If u can’t even do better with this systeme, at last, bring backt he old one….
Esport with ou a tru ladder is just the joke, this ladder is the same as a best number of game played or best number of kill made just non sens and no representative from player’s skills.

if u wanna do something rly nice, just bring league in, would be awsome, something like in star craft 2 who is the best game in esport atm that’s all i have to say.

The Patoune Finger/ Is Wet,
Bunker guard/ Cele ele Made In Kit [IKEA]
Best rank teamQ: 67

in PvP

Posted by: TPMN.1483

TPMN.1483

The problem is just basing it off MMR ?
If someone is playing a mobility role: they may be in the team to finish stuff off or get fast caps – hit n run. Depending on the rest of the team will wildly affect there MMR.
What if they land with 3 other mobility configured class members?

Bunker – someone who bunks – what if they land with 4 other bunker type build characters?

DPS killers / support : put multiple of these in a party without the above?

All these combinations in a team can widely affect the team composition and potential outcome MMR rating. I can’t see any way of looking at this to factor into the MMR which may be based on that persons playstyle and profession.

I wonder if any stats are available supporting if bunk only configs or dos/support only configs are more likely to win against others regardless of the mmr rating. Even if they play there particular config/build well.

Just a thought.

[MYTH] The Mythical Dragons -PvX http://mythdragons.enjin.com

in PvP

Previous

Justin ODell.9517

PvP Server Programmer

Next

You really need to stop using ranks. Use only actual gameplay results. If someone has no gameplay results, then let them start at the bottom and work their way up.

Personally, I ignore ranks, but include the information because more than some feel it’s relevant.

Server Programmer (sPvP)

in PvP

Previous

Justin ODell.9517

PvP Server Programmer

Next

plz for god sake, remaster the mmr calculating system it’s just too broken, no names to the top.

I assume you’re taking MMR to mean leaderboard position. They are not the same.

I have audited the actual MMR code, as have others. I have also spot checked it many times by looking for top players and comparing their MMR to the average. I have also randomly chosen samples and reviewed their MMR progress over the course of a few days to check that it matches what is expected.

Server Programmer (sPvP)

in PvP

Posted by: infantrydiv.1620

infantrydiv.1620

Personally, I ignore ranks, but include the information because more than some feel it’s relevant.

Wait…ranks as in “I’m a Dragon rank.”? I don’t think anyone wants those factored into any match making system if that’s the case.

Ranger//Necro

in PvP

Previous

Justin ODell.9517

PvP Server Programmer

Next

Wait…ranks as in “I’m a Dragon rank.”? I don’t think anyone wants those factored into any match making system if that’s the case.

Yes. Read the forums, this is important to quite a few people. :P

Server Programmer (sPvP)

in PvP

Posted by: Fortus.6175

Fortus.6175

Personally I dont like how leaderboard now feels like a grindfest rather than a feat to achieve a high rank.

Take this from a guy who is in “rank 290” and at some point was at “rank 232” a couple of days ago, which I though would award me the mini, only to logging and see that over 2 days I lost the “spot” due to 58 people below playing more games than me….

I honestly dont care about the mini and considering the volatility of the leaderboard currently I knew that the moment I were to stop playing I would lose my “spot” not to a better player; but someone who simply played more than me….

How am I supposed to measure “skill level” when the only measure I’m really been shown is “How many games have you played?”

I honestly, honest to which ever god you workship, HONESTLY, HONESTLY want to see how I measure agaisnt other players in terms of skills…… perhaps the points system is working as intended and people with high number of points do have more “skills”, butit doesnt feel that way, at all! In fact, if you scroll down the ranks from rank 1 to rank 500 you will clearly see a trend not in %, or losses, but in number of won games, like clear cut trend.

[GoM] Gate of Madness Server Elementalist|Guardian
Legendary SoloQ

(edited by Fortus.6175)

in PvP

Posted by: Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

it seems if i go by the finishers that the matches are not by rank .

just because someone uses a rabbit finisher, does not necessarily mean that they are rabbit rank.

my pvp rank is 74 phoenix but i still use the rabbit finisher.

who knows, it may some some kind of emotional impact on certain dragon rank players when i finish them with a rabbit finisher.

in PvP

Posted by: infantrydiv.1620

infantrydiv.1620

Meh, put a rank 10 on turret engi and he will be more effective than the majority of dragon ranks currently. Only very slightly exaggerating, tbh.

I think rather than factoring rank into team selection, which = purely time played, it might be more effective to make it so that people < rank 30 can’t Ranked Queue, but still have full access to Unranked. It even fits with Arenanet’s current position of level gating parts of the game for new players.

Ranger//Necro

in PvP

Posted by: TPMN.1483

TPMN.1483

One of the big problems running into a match is if we are expected to lose with impossible odds?

There will always be some matches where your MMR / etc should mean you lose… The grief that follows afterwards of people looking at your win ratio or MMR does unfortunatly become a target for critism or abuse.

GW1 successfully hid most of this information behind one metric – rank. That is all the information you knew and you would make an assessment if they player may be any good or not in your team or role that you needed.

I think it’s very demoralising when a bunny rank, tiger, bear to be constantly facing dragon ranks and am I ever going to win this?
I fully appreciate as Justin has mentioned how people will consider rank to be a factor in matchmaking.

[MYTH] The Mythical Dragons -PvX http://mythdragons.enjin.com

in PvP

Posted by: Ithilwen.1529

Ithilwen.1529

I consider rank important. If nothing else it’s a measure of pvp experience. I’m winning less than 40% of the time and consistently being matched with pvp 80’s which makes no sense to me whatever.

To be perfectly honest, I’m sick of losing and it makes me feel bad to get hammered flat. Further, I suspect that the low population is a direct result of people coming, getting hammered and / or laughed at and leaving.

As I’ve suggested elsewhere, matches should be based on win / loss status. That way exploiter groups and extremely good players will be matched. That might shake out some of the premades.

Btw, I’m rank 67 at the moment.

Mesmerising Girl

in PvP

Posted by: Bedrax.3294

Bedrax.3294

I assume you’re taking MMR to mean leaderboard position. They are not the same.

I have audited the actual MMR code, as have others. I have also spot checked it many times by looking for top players and comparing their MMR to the average. I have also randomly chosen samples and reviewed their MMR progress over the course of a few days to check that it matches what is expected.

So please explain me how is possible that the actual top 100 is formed from older unranked player (~80%) ? they don’t grow they skill, i have meet some of them in my side in unranked or as oponent and they just don’t do anything correct.

I’m sorry to say it but u must be blind to not see that’s wrong.

before the horrible update in december lot of my friend list were top 100 (20+), or top 200 (40+) and now the first one is around ~360. Just what ?

Former unranked get divine skills from any god or any other things like in Disney ? And former top players just loose at least one arm and become unranked now ?

The Patoune Finger/ Is Wet,
Bunker guard/ Cele ele Made In Kit [IKEA]
Best rank teamQ: 67

in PvP

Posted by: Cynz.9437

Cynz.9437

1st match, los: full premade vs pugs, no chance, pugs were nowhere remotely as good as anyone on premade
2nd match, los: 2man team vs 2 man team, rest pugs, pretty lopsided, couldn’t make up for missing 1 person that was running to treb whole match, dying there, getting repair kit, rinse and repeat
3rd match, win: 2man premade vs pugs, pretty lopsided again, i think score was like 500ish to 30+ or so O_O

queue times are around 4 min too…. what’s going on :<

All is Vain~
[Teef] guild :>

in PvP

Posted by: Dixo.3876

Dixo.3876

The overall skill pool in my games was pretty low compared to what it had been before.; I had a necro on my team pop lich to kill a beast on forest. I soloed a zerker guardian and a thief at the same time as a mesmer. I won one game 500 to sub 100.

I saw a ton of new games. Usually is I see approximately the same people match after match. That still happened but not to the extent is has been in the past.

I see one of two explanations.

A) The system tries so hard to avoid solo versus teams that the skill disparity is too high between two groups of pugs.

B) A lot of people are taking a break (if you don’t enjoy the game or want reward tracks this is possible + even I took time out to do the PvE content). Either the population is lower than usual overall or the population at whatever my MMR is low.

in PvP

Posted by: imaclown.1628

imaclown.1628

Justin can you do that thing where when everyone is saying they are winning only 40%, which I can actually imagine is probably withing normal limits for such a small sample size, you go ahead and tell them they have an over 50% winrate ?

I reallly enjoy it.

Attention Moderators I am not:
S P E E D starr #0 Necro NA or
I Am NeXeD crappy d/D ele NA

in PvP

Posted by: NeXeD.3042

NeXeD.3042

Justin can you do that thing where when everyone is saying they are winning only 40%, which I can actually imagine is probably withing normal limits for such a small sample size, you go ahead and tell them they have an over 50% winrate ?

I reallly enjoy it.

I second that.

Attention Moderators I am not
S P E E D Starr #0 Necro NA or
I Am NeXeD awful d/D ele NA

in PvP

Previous

Justin ODell.9517

PvP Server Programmer

I second that.

You know that doesn’t count, right?

Server Programmer (sPvP)

in PvP

Posted by: Rangelost.4857

Rangelost.4857

It would be great if every single match ended in 495 vs 500, but that’s hardly realistic. Even if we put the same 10 “equally skilled” players with the same characters on the same map twice, the final score would most likely be very different each time.

The match making system could be better, yes, but how do you suggest the game calculates your level of skill? It’s currently based on match outcomes. Should it be based on personal score instead? Or numerical contribution? A combination of those three?

in PvP

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

I second that.

You know that doesn’t count, right?

Why would somebody use the exact same signature on his sock puppet account? O.o Doesn’t that kind of defeat the purpose?

in PvP

imaclown.1628

It’s just another account I had and my other username gets one or two posts a day.

in PvP

Posted by: Blackwyn.8127

Blackwyn.8127

While I don’t think Ranks matter at all. I do still believe it’s essential on the lower ranks. As someone that for example is a good player and has good judging skill (maybe being a WvW roamer) does the transition from WvW to sPvP, he will heavily lack the knowledge and experience on maps / tactics and general basic conquest strategies being a rabbit rank or whatever.

So having like a Dolyak rank or higher, will at the very least say that this person knows the lay out of the maps and some higher rank will most likely know the general basics on map strategies.

Having for example 4 Dragons paired up with a good player but is only rabbit rank, could potentially lead to a situation where the rabbit rank player might do wrong plays due to lack of knowledge and experience. Potentially costing the team the match.

To sum it up, ranks = experience and I just think the lower ranks should be taken into consideration when matchmaking does its thing.

(edited by Blackwyn.8127)

in PvP

Posted by: Novuake.2691

Novuake.2691

Much better than the old MM system.

Retriever Iiat – Asura Engineer
Private retriever of runaway NPCs
Mistband[MIST] – PVP Training guild EU

in PvP

Posted by: Abaddon.2105

Abaddon.2105

Yesterday I did one ranked arena on my necromancer.
I landed into match with 3 thieves on my side and 3 or 4 engineers on their side.

Could you check if everything was correct?
I did solo queue.
Even doing all the best as I always do, my team lost the game.
Having 3 thieves in a pre-made with great cooperation of each other could be handled and maybe we could win, but completely random people – not acceptable.
If more games like that (with 3 thieves on one side) will happen, then there is no point of doing these ranked arena solo.
Also having 3 or 4 (can’t remember) enemies with class advantage is another dead point in the solo queue.

Is there a way of checking personal rating, the match making one?

San Francisco in the middle sixties was a very special time and place to be a part of.

in PvP

Posted by: Pimsley.3681

Pimsley.3681

The overall skill pool in my games was pretty low compared to what it had been before.; I had a necro on my team pop lich to kill a beast on forest. I soloed a zerker guardian and a thief at the same time as a mesmer. I won one game 500 to sub 100.

I saw a ton of new games. Usually is I see approximately the same people match after match. That still happened but not to the extent is has been in the past.

I see one of two explanations.

A) The system tries so hard to avoid solo versus teams that the skill disparity is too high between two groups of pugs.

B) A lot of people are taking a break (if you don’t enjoy the game or want reward tracks this is possible + even I took time out to do the PvE content). Either the population is lower than usual overall or the population at whatever my MMR is low.

If the necro popped lich at the beginning of the match instead of capping, shame on him. If he used it to get an urgent advantage in the tail-end of a very close match, shame on you for not looking at the situation.

in PvP

Posted by: Nimrud.5642

Nimrud.5642

Let me jump on the bandwagon! So first of all I’d like to point out that also in my experience games are inbalanced. Be it a win or loss… (Today I had a game that we lost only by 90-130 points or so, but that was all I can remember.) One thing is having bad luck (before the new system I was just a few wins shy from being exactly 50%, now I’m probably sub 30%), and an other is close scores, competitive and exciting matches. So a bad win-loss ratio sucks but it can be accepted and understood IF it comes from competitive games where you felt like your contribution could make a significant change in the course of the match. So its not that bad… However when the same win-loss ratio comes from uneven, no-fun blowouts most of the time; losing a lot (being on the sucker team) adds quite a lot on top of your misery. And the game gets demotivating. I dont mind losing that much, but I do mind having hardly any competitive matches.

p.s.: The final score of the game is not always telling, because once the winning team realizes how much better they are, they tend to not focus so much on capture points. They just go out and farm kills at random places on the map.

enthusiastic noob

in PvP

Posted by: Zietlogik.6208

Zietlogik.6208

Seriously Justin….this is absolutely abhorrent, I have not played any ranked/unranked in ages due to how bad it was…but gave it another chance today…and this happened…

500-10 was the final score.

I get closer and more interesting matches in !%@#ing hotjoin…

Thank you though, I am no longer on the fence about playing in ranked and unranked, this is confirmation that I will never touch those buttons ever again.

Attachments:

Zietlogik [Warrior] Chronologix [Ranger] Ziet The Dreaded [Necromancer] Zietlogic [Revenant]

(edited by Zietlogik.6208)

in PvP

Posted by: Solstice.1097

Solstice.1097

I will never touch those buttons ever again.

cmon… touch it…. just once

in PvP

Zietlogik.6208

I will never touch those buttons ever again.

cmon… touch it…. just once

That’s the problem, once was enough ;p

Zietlogik [Warrior] Chronologix [Ranger] Ziet The Dreaded [Necromancer] Zietlogic [Revenant]

in PvP

Posted by: Rangelost.4857

Rangelost.4857

Seriously Justin….this is absolutely abhorrent, I have not played any ranked/unranked in ages due to how bad it was…but gave it another chance today…and this happened…

If you haven’t done arena in ages, how do you expect the game to know who to match you with? A wild guess is as good as it’ll get when you first start. The more you play, the more accurate it should get.

And like I said before, no amount of coding can prevent sabotage, so keep an eye out for that as well. It happens to me a lot.

in PvP

Zietlogik.6208

If you haven’t done arena in ages, how do you expect the game to know who to match you with? A wild guess is as good as it’ll get when you first start. The more you play, the more accurate it should get.

And like I said before, no amount of coding can prevent sabotage, so keep an eye out for that as well. It happens to me a lot.

That’s the thing, it isn’t just me, look at the entire team…the coding is just broken. And if you ahve not played much ranked/unranked it shoudn’t place you in any high-end brackets.

in PvP

imaclown.1628

That’s the thing, it isn’t just me, look at the entire team…the coding is just broken. And if you ahve not played much ranked/unranked it shoudn’t place you in any high-end brackets.

Tbh sometimes all it takes is one player to not know what they are doing to kitten it up for the rest of the team.