New mode team deathmatch 2vs2 3vs3

in PvP

Posted by: Luki.8941

Luki.8941

So I have been part of PVP tournament which was 2v2 on map and what did surprise me how interesting it was: builds so much different and class combination was at their best and even weaker specs with good support of other players was thriving to my surprise I would say they were not weaker anymore.
So idea is :

1) For a start we use our team deathmatch map
We can shrink it or leave it as it is. So developers do not have to much work.

2) You can sign only in team of 2 or 3 players. You cannot sign alone, this part is very important!
This is about cooperative play, tactics and choosing good combination with your classes. If you would let people sign randomly it will just dumb it down.

3) It is only unranked and it counts towards PVP reward system
Team which wins two rounds wins a match. Amount reward counted to PVP reward system should be fair and not more then for main mode. I am fairly sure they will balance this up good.

We have good ranked play and we do not want to mess with that. We want additional option for teams to group when there is not enough team members online or try something different. That is why there will be no 5v5 it is too messy anyway.

Whole idea is to get different option to play and bring new players who are used more to deathmatch arena to game ( WoW players I am looking at you). Slowly they will get used to more objective type of PVP. I remember how hard was for me to get used to objective style of play after playing WoW arena for 7+ years.

Future ideas:
Remember how was tournament play on start we can implement this kind of system to team deathmatch. Where you play few match vs opponents for some kind reward.
It did not worked for main type of play because matches tends to be longer then in deathmatch play.

I really hope that you like this idea and remember to treat it not like exchange for main mode but like addition to what we have.
Main PVP mode stays where it is and new one would be just unranked for fun and change of pace. I would simple remove practice.

Please leave your opinion if you would welcome additional mode like that in game. Would you be interested in it as addition to standard mode.

Thank you for reading.

Rariz (Ranger) , Bazinek (Engineer)
YouTube channel RarizGaming Gw2/Heroes of the storm Beta
http://youtu.be/W7hWjRetPDo?list=PLDSrFjXKFzmkxIY-VsFFESqLFgrnBEFhg

(edited by Luki.8941)

in PvP

Posted by: Tom Gore.4035

Tom Gore.4035

The problem is, they balance the game around 5v5. 2v2 or 3v3 would probably end up being unbalanced and migrate into 2-3 comps that everyone wanting to really compete would run.

I could be wrong, of course, but that’s what I think would happen.

One – Piken Square

in PvP

Luki.8941

I was surprise in this tournament how balanced it was and how different builds people were running compare to meta and main mode.
Funny as it sounds I think there is chance you will have more option, more builds here then you have in main mode !!! Treat it like fun mode where you can use your fun build which does not work good in ranked play. So actually it will help balance because you have more option for class to exist.

This is very important do not balance game around this mode, this is not ranked play.
I would not worry to much about people running top comps because there is no ranked play in this mode . It is same as in Unranked people tend to run things which they like.

This will be all about tactics, supporting your own class and build other player. It will be fun and all about cooperation.

Look at main mode there are clearly best builds on each class and classes you can tell easily which one has better builds.

Here will be the same but there is big chance that it will be different classes and different builds. You get it we will have more options for each class.

(edited by Luki.8941)

in PvP

Posted by: mbh.8301

mbh.8301

The problem is, they balance the game around 5v5

Isn’t this a specious argument?

I would’ve thought that they balance with conquest as a game mode in mind. Yes, conquest is 5v5 but they also have to consider how things play out in XvX situations. Some things were nerfed because they would 1v1 too hard, and others were nerfed because they could 1v2 too hard. 2v2s and 3v3s happen in conquest all the time, so to say that they don’t consider those is probably (definitely) wrong.

[quote=1567239;Lexie.5894:] My PVP experience is very consistent. I run around,
I fight people, sometimes they kill me, sometimes I kill them. Fun is had by all. [/quote]

in PvP

Posted by: Tom Gore.4035

Tom Gore.4035

The problem is, they balance the game around 5v5

Isn’t this a specious argument?

I would’ve thought that they balance with conquest as a game mode in mind. Yes, conquest is 5v5 but they also have to consider how things play out in XvX situations. Some things were nerfed because they would 1v1 too hard, and others were nerfed because they could 1v2 too hard. 2v2s and 3v3s happen in conquest all the time, so to say that they don’t consider those is probably (definitely) wrong.

You’ve got a point.

So let me then say that the game is not balanced around 2v2 or 3v3 deathmatch.

And again I’m not saying it wouldn’t work. Just have some doubts about it. I’ve played enough of WoW arena to know how difficult it is to balance classes the smaller the bracket gets.

One – Piken Square

in PvP

Luki.8941

You are right it is harder to balance smaller scale but they already have 5v5 so it is not so far. I think they can concentrate on 5v5 with balance and it will be good enough especially if they leave it as unranked mode.
In WoW also classes are trapped in roles here you can make it more freely more options and builds. Everyone has means to survive = heal so there is no healer role which makes thing better and more interesting.

But what I would like to hear if you would welcome additional mode like that in game would you be interested in it as addition to standard mode. I would like to concentrate on that. So Anet would consider adding it to game which do not take much of work.

(edited by Luki.8941)