New player

New player

in PvP

Posted by: Mieczyslaw.7891

Mieczyslaw.7891

Long and short of it, I’ve played WoW for the last decade, sick of the bs and the fact that over that time I’ve spent 2000 on a computer game. PvP is my favorite and I was wondering what proffesion would be good for a new player? Thiefs look cool, but I’m sure every noob wants to play one, mesmers look cool, but I just read a post about how awful they are until level cap. Any suggestions would be very appreciated

New player

in PvP

Posted by: Random Weird Guy.3528

Random Weird Guy.3528

I would suggest starting with a class that allows you to make a few mistakes without dying so that you can learn the basic pvp mechanics faster. Ideal starter classes while sticking to the meta would be warrior (hambow or shoutbow), ranger (condi for tankiness or power for err… power), d/d ele, engineer (celestial or rabid).

I would try to avoid builds like turret engineer. Sure it’s great at low level play because other new players can’t deal with it, but you’ll learn a lot slower since it doesn’t require you to actually think about what you’re doing and it doesn’t put you in a good direction for higher level play where it’s easily countered.

Random Engineering // Trixxti // Random Noises (worst thief eu)
Svanir Appreciation Society [SAS]

(edited by Random Weird Guy.3528)

New player

in PvP

Posted by: Zenos Osgorma.2936

Zenos Osgorma.2936

Try Condi theif , D/P + P/D basalisk venom CC build i know they are very forgivable and provide some good damage and anti Bunker Condis to lock there hp in place while all well being safe and sound , im sure a theif player here could post the build for me , i’d rather not get the names of the skills wrong.

New player

in PvP

Posted by: Solstice.1097

Solstice.1097

if you want to do pvp the level cap doesnt matter. gw2 is not like WoW. everyone has the same gear stats no matter what level they are.

if you really want to be good you should play all the classes a little bit, that way no matter what class you end up “maining” you will understand how to beat the other classes better.

New player

in PvP

Posted by: Brigg.6189

Brigg.6189

For a new player:

Obvious starting class is warrior. Strong offense/defense, easy to pick up.
Ele if you want more advanced button mashing.
Guard for easy to learn deeps.
Ranger if you liked WoW hunter.

Medium difficulty would be engineer, necro, and mesmer.

Hard mode is thief.

Find your builds here: http://metabattle.com/wiki/MetaBattle_Wiki

New player

in PvP

Posted by: Mieczyslaw.7891

Mieczyslaw.7891

So the funner looking ones are the harder ones? Oh poo XD

New player

in PvP

Posted by: tico.9814

tico.9814

I would say play all of them and see which one you find easier to understand doesn’t hurt since you can do pvp right away without leveling. For new players my advice would be to stick to the meta builds once you’re an advanced player you can go and play non-meta ones and test builds.

New player

in PvP

Posted by: Shiyo.3578

Shiyo.3578

Long and short of it, I’ve played WoW for the last decade, sick of the bs and the fact that over that time I’ve spent 2000 on a computer game. PvP is my favorite and I was wondering what proffesion would be good for a new player? Thiefs look cool, but I’m sure every noob wants to play one, mesmers look cool, but I just read a post about how awful they are until level cap. Any suggestions would be very appreciated

Warrior or DPS guardian, thief and mesmer are highest risk/reward classes for the most common builds.

New player

in PvP

Posted by: Random Weird Guy.3528

Random Weird Guy.3528

So the funner looking ones are the harder ones? Oh poo XD

The ‘fun’ classes aren’t fun when you’re always dead on the floor because you didn’t dodge the right things at the right time

Random Engineering // Trixxti // Random Noises (worst thief eu)
Svanir Appreciation Society [SAS]

New player

in PvP

Posted by: Boggs.6482

Boggs.6482

if you really want to be good you should play all the classes a little bit, that way no matter what class you end up “maining” you will understand how to beat the other classes better.

^ This.

New player

in PvP

Posted by: Saiyan.1704

Saiyan.1704

^ This.

Or main a character for 1200 gaming hours and do nothing but spvp and duel..
…majority of it being dueling..
…this game has pve?

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

New player

in PvP

Posted by: MaXi.3642

MaXi.3642

I don’t think ele is a good choice for a new player, it’s quite hard to start with, also the thief is quite hard… but it depends if you like easy play or you want to play what you want to play regardless of the difficulty

New player

in PvP

Posted by: Nimrud.5642

Nimrud.5642

I play a thief from day one. I got the same suggestions for the same question from the community back ‘in my time’. I understood it, but I was just too stubborn. Simply get emotionally ready that you will be killed a lot. (I even had to skip some skillpoints in Queensdale cuz I kept dirtnapping at ettins’ feet.) But it pays out in the end. My first two toons were thief and ele. And after a year or so I rolled a warri. It was super easy to get the basics. So you can go from both directions. Just get your tissues ready!

enthusiastic noob