New players and Ranked Queue

in PvP

Posted by: Sebastian.4610

Sebastian.4610

There needs to be some sort of benchmark for all players to reach on each class before queuing for ranked matches.

It’s not fair to new players because it will ruin their ratings early on. And its not fair to veteran or good players because it also causes them pointless losses.

in PvP

Sebastian.4610

does nobody else agree?

in PvP

Posted by: style.6173

style.6173

No. I disagree with you. It is a ladder. As they get better, they will climb the ladder. It is fine that they play right away and start at the bottom.

The issue is bad matchmaking that puts them in matches where they don’t belong.

in PvP

Sebastian.4610

It makes no sense for a brand new player to jump into ranked matches on a game like this.

in PvP

Posted by: MarkPhilips.5169

MarkPhilips.5169

New players need only to start with a low rating value and don’t be matched with veteran players.

But this is a matchmaking issue.

in PvP

Posted by: Silentshoes.1805

Silentshoes.1805

The matcher will put anybody with anybody after 4 minutes of waiting.

I think that’s the problem. There is no basic “standard” of a good match that it enforces. It tries for 4 mins. But then anything goes. Whoever is available goes with whomever.

See the thread about “Make-Believe Matching and You”. It talks about it and a developer explains it.

The Alien (condi necro),That Wreckin Crew (Mesmer)
Silentshoes (Thief), Wind of the Woods (condi ranger)

in PvP

Posted by: Ithilwen.1529

Ithilwen.1529

No I disagree vehemently. Elitist players like to blame failures on “noobs.” Truthfully I’d rather play with a relatively new group of people. I can’t count the number of times I’ve been verbally blasted for some unspecified failure that I “should” know about.

Guess what? Your idea about the optimum way to play might not be the be all – end all strategy.

Instead of trying to make the PVP even less accessible than it is now, the “good” players should help develop others. Whining just makes you look like a scrub.

Mesmerising Girl

in PvP

Posted by: Fernling.1729

Fernling.1729

I too disagree. New players should start at the bottom with other people of equal skill. They can work there way up as they get better. I think it’s more than appropriate for new players to only ever queue ranked matches.
The matchmaking shouldn’t be putting people together that are a large distance apart in skill. The issues you’re worried about is due to bad matchmaking and a low spvp population.

in PvP

Posted by: FalconBeta.9185

FalconBeta.9185

I don’t think its a bad idea. I can understand that people can be put off from having things restricted from them; however, at the same time there are people that literally have no idea what they are doing, and will have a terrible time going straight into ranked. There’s a reason why many games, especially competitive ones, have ranked play level gated in some way.
It doesn’t have to be some ridiculous requirement. It could be something like “you have to be level 5/10 to unlock Ranked Matchmaking”.
This way newer players at least have a general knowledge of what Maps play like.

I mean, there are people that literally could go straight into ranked play and they only have 1 weapon on, and missing traits with not matching stats on. I’ve seen it happen, and I don’t believe that person should be Punished by having their mmr(or what ever they call it now) be lowered for playing something before he understands it.

Though, I don’t think there should be a class specific requirement, just an account based one, that someone can unlocked ranked play after a couple hours of playing.

(edited by FalconBeta.9185)

in PvP

Posted by: butch.8136

butch.8136

Isn’t there a rank requirement? We had it pre-patch I think.

Anyway, when ladders and eventually leagues arrive, we’ll have placement matches.

Razor xxxx (Desolation ; Off)
Bring back: ‘Gamer’ title + MAT’s!
Throw out: Hotjoin!

in PvP

Posted by: Acandis.3250

Acandis.3250

IMO the only threshold should be PvP rank. Rank ~30 should be fine.