New timers= bad

New timers= bad

in PvP

Posted by: jaygregz.1958

jaygregz.1958

I understand the premise behind the new individual spawn timers. However, implementation of the new timers is bad for game play. 20 second timers mean that if you lose the initial fight for a point, mounting a comeback is even less likely. The 20 second timers also encourage players to leave their foes down as long as possible before executing without having to worry about how long they will be on respawn.

The only semi-positive thing I can imagine people see about the new timers is that it closes the gap between good players and bad players because regardless of a players knowledge of how the system works they will always give their opponent a very long respawn timer if they do manage to get a kill.

I actually really liked the old system and wasn’t aware of it until I saw the new one. I encourage the devs to go back to the old system, change the respawn timers to a random number, or at the least shorten the length to 15 seconds.

New timers= bad

in PvP

Posted by: jaygregz.1958

jaygregz.1958

Please let me know if I’m off base on this. I would really like to hear everyone else’s opinion of the new timers.

New timers= bad

in PvP

Posted by: QtHman.9510

QtHman.9510

I think this stupid they should leave it how it was before……..

New timers= bad

in PvP

Posted by: Zoke.2147

Zoke.2147

per player is fine, but 20 seconds is a little harsh… especially when none of the res utilities work on defeated players….

New timers= bad

in PvP

Posted by: SAtaarcoeny.8476

SAtaarcoeny.8476

most ppl i talked to hat them. reason is any good team that wins the mid and home node wont lose them after.

now the first death team usually loses making glass cannons meh.

but now you have to all sit at spawn wait for everyone to rez then try again. basically making it zerg wars to win.

we wont be seeing many 1v1 any more. (because if you lose it you lose the game for the team)

but whatever ppl need to stop complaining and adjust you are off base and need to not disagree.

URTFC.COM

BIG GW2 TOURNAMENT INC SPONSORED BY URTFC.COM

New timers= bad

in PvP

Posted by: Clackerr.6401

Clackerr.6401

I prefer the old method as well, but the new one isn’t game breaking. Making pure burst builds a little weaker isn’t a bad thing. Wish they would bring guardian bunkers down a bit more, though.

Clackalackin likaboss.

New timers= bad

in PvP

Posted by: Zuljin.3608

Zuljin.3608

so true there needs to be a petition to the devs
to change it back

New timers= bad

in PvP

Posted by: TheZeus.8617

TheZeus.8617

Another reason as to why Anet is not listening. The 2 DEVS working on PVP should be fired.. they totally killed pvp.. this adds injury to insult… seriously, 20 sec re spawn timers.. wtf devs.

Athena War Goddess
[TWIN] Anvil Rock

New timers= bad

in PvP

Posted by: Ziddy.2583

Ziddy.2583

Good change. Maybe not 20 seconds, but 15 should be fair. Should also encourage less glass cannon builds which can be easily punished now.

New timers= bad

in PvP

Posted by: Nero.8623

Nero.8623

Encourages people to run more team-fight centric builds. Encourages survivability. Encourages good team play as opposed to zerging points. Great change.

New timers= bad

in PvP

Posted by: QtHman.9510

QtHman.9510

This game is starting to piss me off so hard…..it’s not even a joke they release a kitten patch then they bring 20 more bugs like wth …

(edited by QtHman.9510)

New timers= bad

in PvP

Posted by: Xom.9264

Xom.9264

I like it stops the bullkitten faceroll burst from running in causing people to blow stun breaks then comming back 15 seconds later and blowing everyone up because stun breaks are on cooldown.

It will make things less zerg, rezzing will be very important adding to tactics and teamwork.

The main thing I feel GW2 lacks is true organized teamwork in a fight. Changes like these you will see the teamwork based teams start to pull ahead of the solo heros zerging points tactics. Support based classes and runes/set ups that rez faster might be worthwhile now.

Xomox ~Human Necro/Engineer ET

(edited by Xom.9264)

New timers= bad

in PvP

Posted by: HatoraDe.9582

HatoraDe.9582

I like the idea of personal timers, I just think 20 is too long and unforgiving. Though this isn’t really an important issue atm, it also makes the game less fun to watch imo because people are going to have to wait around longer for their full teams to res before taking action.

15 seconds seems like a better number to me.

New timers= bad

in PvP

Posted by: faeral.7120

faeral.7120

+1 Xom.

it’s Death Penalty! something many players have been wanting in this game because previously, dying was almost meaningless.

now you have to actually protect yourself & your team. GW1 was 8v8 & most fights were straight up team fights. when a player went down in GW1, it was a big deal. it should be here as well. 4v4 is half the number of players from GW1, so these centre point fights should not be considered “Zergs”.

New timers= bad

in PvP

Posted by: Darnis.4056

Darnis.4056

I for one welcome the new timers, being able to put 20 second timers on someone, Other then a warrior thief or mesmer or anyone on a point before was kind of lame. I haven’t seen a timer above 9-10 seconds.

Will the Real Pink Puma Please stand up?

New timers= bad

in PvP

Posted by: HatoraDe.9582

HatoraDe.9582

I for one welcome the new timers, being able to put 20 second timers on someone, Other then a warrior thief or mesmer or anyone on a point before was kind of lame. I haven’t seen a timer above 9-10 seconds.

I’m not sure if I’m reading your post incorrectly, but it seems like you might be misunderstanding that all timers are 20 seconds from when you’re stomped now.

I like that a personal timer adds more weight to a death. We’ll certainly see less of players trickling into a neutral point repeatedly now that each player has their own personal timer. I’m just worried 20 seconds may be slightly too long.

New timers= bad

in PvP

Posted by: Rythgar.2896

Rythgar.2896

The only semi-positive thing I can imagine people see about the new timers is that it closes the gap between good players and bad players because regardless of a players knowledge of how the system works they will always give their opponent a very long respawn timer if they do manage to get a kill.

This is for me the very core problem with this change. Why oh why would you want to close the gab between differently good players by changing how the system works? This is going completely against what I want in a competitive game. Less skill and more relying on the client, kitten that!

And I also agree that it is silly, people will just never stomp someone if they are not on the point or getting ressed. Sure, this is semi the case already (you want your enemy to lie there for as long as possible right?) but with the old “spawn timers” you could choose to let him bleed out, or stomp him for a long ress timer. You very very rarely could get both.

A step back from ArenaNet if you ask me. More skill is wanted, not less!

New timers= bad

in PvP

Posted by: Rythgar.2896

Rythgar.2896

I like it stops the bullkitten faceroll burst from running in causing people to blow stun breaks then comming back 15 seconds later and blowing everyone up because stun breaks are on cooldown.

It will make things less zerg, rezzing will be very important adding to tactics and teamwork.

The main thing I feel GW2 lacks is true organized teamwork in a fight. Changes like these you will see the teamwork based teams start to pull ahead of the solo heros zerging points tactics. Support based classes and runes/set ups that rez faster might be worthwhile now.

To be honest, with the decrease in downed state health, you can ress a player before he get stomped Even if you start the ressing at the same time as they start the stomp. This was not the case before, but is now.

A downed player now has to be kept being damaged and stomped at the same time, or he will get up. Before a downed player was someone you had to watch and stomp when you could, now it’s all “do damage as much as you can team, and I will stomp him!” all the way. Making any teamfights all about the player(s) that are downed, and not the ones that are up. Less tactics more forced gameplay.

New timers= bad

in PvP

Posted by: Siric.3589

Siric.3589

O.O

New timers are AMAZING. It KILLS the ever so popular tank-stream comps that just stream into neutral points all game scoring 1/3 of the kills of the other team but winning because they can out last. The new system puts much more emphasis on kills and opens up the map for much more roaming as you are not going to get spawn-wave crushed.

People are now punished for dying without punishing the killers further by having to wait for timers thus giving them more time on the map and being able to instantly down someone on a point – not letting them hold it neutral for an additional couple of seconds just to get a timer.

All this “it takes less skill” nonsense needs to stop. It’s like saying workers auto mining in Sc2 kills the game because it “takes less skill”, sure its a bit more pug friendly but it defiantly wasn’t something that separates top teams from the rest, it’s a trivial concept that anyone with 1/2 a brain grasped.

It does snowball Khylo extremely hard, something that may need to be adressed, but over all it has proven to be a great change thus far.

[LR] Siric

(edited by Siric.3589)

New timers= bad

in PvP

Posted by: Liewec.2896

Liewec.2896

so i hope you enjoyed killing people…
i for one am a glass cannon, i’ve always been a glass cannon in MMOs,
playing the mage who dishes out the highest dmg but has to avoid taking damage due to squishiness. this 20 second slap in the face will only cause one thing. BUNKERS, BUNKERS AND BUNKERS.
so i hope you enjoyed killing people,
because unless you want to spend half the match staring at a screen it’s gonna be a bunkerfest,
and the people who used to have the damage to counter the bunkers will now all be rolling bunkers too to avoid these ridiculous 20 second gaps.

New timers= bad

in PvP

Posted by: Coopers.4376

Coopers.4376

I have to agree with Liewec, these changes are nothing but detrimental. The 20 second timer will cause teams to run much tankier specs overall, which means we will most likely see many prolonged engagements, with team fights lasting into the minutes rather then into the seconds. Mercy sets + revive skills will also become mandatory because players are now too valuable to lose.

Overall i think this will breed a much slower paced and boring meta, which i thought Arena Net was trying to move away from.

(edited by Coopers.4376)

New timers= bad

in PvP

Siric.3589

Tank builds don’t win the fight, they win the stream-in. Personal timers destroyed the stream in. This change hurts bunkers just as much, if not more, than glassy builds.

[LR] Siric

New timers= bad

in PvP

Posted by: Powerr.3649

Powerr.3649

Siric you run the signature 4 glass cannon dps build, for obvious reasons you feel that way

Powerr
PZ

New timers= bad

in PvP

Coopers.4376

By tankier i mean builds with survivability that still do decent dps ie. DPS guardian with book (kind of what oppa runs), teldo engi and tankier mark necros. Classes like these wont melt in team fights like thiefs or burst eles do, this will in turn give your team a much greater advantage with the new respawn timers.

Then again ive been proven wrong plenty of times. This is just what i think will occur thanks to the update. A simple fix would be a reduction to 12-15 seconds.

(edited by Coopers.4376)

New timers= bad

in PvP

Powerr.3649

^^^
THANK YOU

The new meta is GOING TO BE, 5 tanky dps. I promise you this

Powerr
PZ

New timers= bad

in PvP

Siric.3589

We run 4 glass?! =O. Good to know.

I agree that bruiser DPS is in, pure burst and bunker comps are out. This is a good thing.

I fail to see how it takes skill out of the game, it’s not like timering was some mysterious thing that only 5 teams in the game did, it’s almost rudimentary. New system punishes mindless streaming and poor decision making MUCH more, how does that not bring more skill into the game? Kills mean something now, it’s a step in the right direction, if things are still snowballing too heavy in a week or two when people are used to the new system then an adjustment somewhere else should be made to compensate.

[LR] Siric

(edited by Siric.3589)

New timers= bad

in PvP

Posted by: Wilhelmryan.9203

Wilhelmryan.9203

Another reason as to why Anet is not listening. The 2 DEVS working on PVP should be fired.. they totally killed pvp.. this adds injury to insult… seriously, 20 sec re spawn timers.. wtf devs.

i believe it goes “adds salt to injury”

New timers= bad

in PvP

Posted by: Luthan.5236

Luthan.5236

Another game I used to play – not MMORPG, more of a FPS game mechanic but you fought melee with swords and blocking system and stuff – used something called “upkeep”.

You had to have a goldmine with gold in it. If not you lost upkeep and respawn timer increased.

Mabe they could make the respawn timer depend on something on the map you could capture. Could give the team an advantage… of course the stronger team then will have even more advantage… they will kill more and will hold that point giving themselves lower respawn and enemy will have the higher respawn.

New timers= bad

in PvP

Powerr.3649

shadowstepping then stealing from 2100 units away to one shot an enemy and then popping time warp makes team fights really hard

Powerr
PZ

New timers= bad

in PvP

Coopers.4376

i believe it goes “adds salt to injury”

It’s actually “to add insult to injury”

New timers= bad

in PvP

Posted by: Gintoki.6405

Gintoki.6405

personally i think the timers are fine, its just 20 secs is too long, i had nothing against the wave respawn particularly either. personally i think spvp action should be fairly fast paced and for a new player spending half of his time dead isnt very fun. people saying yay this encourages survivability thats good!! but actually glass cannons are part of the game, bunkers are part of the game, implementations which favour one or the other are only gonna stifle creativity and diversity i love playing matches where everyone is different classes and builds.. nothing more boring when you random get a game fullof thiefs and mesmers lol

Aurora glade [FURY] clan. Zetsu (zetsudai, zetsu mei, Zetsu Rounin)

New timers= bad

in PvP

Powerr.3649

^ matches have like 4 minutes of downtime waiting for the enemy to re-form/re-group, its more boring than ever..?

Powerr
PZ

New timers= bad

in PvP

Posted by: Defektive.7283

Defektive.7283

i believe it goes "adds salt to injury"

It’s actually “to add insult to injury”

Lmfao. This was a good way to start the morning.

tPvP Warrior
http://www.twitch.tv/defektive
Team Blacklisted [Envy]

New timers= bad

in PvP

Siric.3589

Learn when to disengage instead of super streaming points. All the complaints are really knee-jerk in here. It’s a BIG change, but once people get used to it I’m sure it will provide much more interesting matches.

[LR] Siric

New timers= bad

in PvP

Posted by: Nero.8623

Nero.8623

I have to agree with Liewec, these changes are nothing but detrimental. The 20 second timer will cause teams to run much tankier specs overall, which means we will most likely see many prolonged engagements, with team fights lasting into the minutes rather then into the seconds. Mercy sets + revive skills will also become mandatory because players are now too valuable to lose.

Overall i think this will breed a much slower paced and boring meta, which i thought Arena Net was trying to move away from.

I can’t believe you came to this conclusion after saying all of the previous statements. Why a game could possibly want to have engaging fights that are actually important to the outcome of the match where everyone is utilizing all available skills is completely ridiculous though, you’re right.

…..

New timers= bad

in PvP

Posted by: Bsquared.3421

Bsquared.3421

I like personalized timers, but think they should start at 20 seconds and then DECREASE (maybe even to an instant respawn) the longer that person is downed.

There should be NO benefit to keeping your opponent alive. Players should be encouraged to stomp their opposition as soon as possible. With a decreasing timer the longer you’re downed, one would ALWAYS want to stomp quickly (to force the largest respawn timer possible) cause even a downed player is more dangerous than a defeated one waiting on a timer…

Just my opinion, i just think it’s bad form to make the preferred strategy be keeping your enemy alive longer…

Nerfedname – Elementalist
Legion of Anvil Rock [XXIV] – Anvil Rock

New timers= bad

in PvP

Posted by: Sunbeam.3647

Sunbeam.3647

this is just BAD.
i donĀ“t like static timers. wow now we have zero taktik anymore…