New to GW2 - Current class tiers for PVP?

in PvP

Posted by: Drakul.8092

Drakul.8092

Hi guys,

Completely new to GW2.

Was reading up on which class to select and all the previous posts I found were extremely out dated and it only took a bit of searching through this forum to see the patches have changed PVP significantly.

What are the current tiers for classes?

I’ve always had an affinity towards mage-type classes, so I was thinking an Ele, however as i said, all the info I could find on them was quite old and apparently they used to be terrible at PVP?

I’m not going to pick a class just because it’s OP, but at the same time I don’t want to set myself up to fail and select a class thats been nerfed and is quite weak.

Thanks.

PS – If you can also include the current meta builds for the class so I can get an idea of where I should be going.

in PvP

Posted by: DanSH.6143

DanSH.6143

Hey, I’m using my phone atm so I’ll keep this short. If you’re new to the game I’d suggest you to pick ele, guardian, or warrior. These classes are simple to learn and are very strong in pvp atm.
Since you said you like mage-type classes, Ele is probably the way to go.
The meta build is 0/0/2/6/6, dagger/dagger, Celestial Amulet, Strength runes, Sigil of Battle + Sigil of Doom, 3 Cantrips as utilities, Signet of Restoration as your healing skill. The build has a lot of survivability but can also deal decent amount of damage.
For more information on the build just google gw2 celestial d/d ele.

Griften

in PvP

Posted by: Cam Ron.4170

Cam Ron.4170

My opinion

Tier 1- Guardian, Engineer , Elementalist

Tier 2- The rest

This is strictly from my opinion from an unorganized soloQ standpoint. Ranger might creep its way up there

(edited by Cam Ron.4170)

in PvP

Posted by: nekretaal.6485

nekretaal.6485

None of the classes are awful.

Other games have classes that are no-play in Pvp and guild wars 2 really does better than this.

If you want to be serious, though, high end Pvp is mostly about rotating & mobility to cause mismatches, and so if you want to get good, learn to play mobile specs, such as classes with leaps or teleports.

#24 leaderboard rank North America.

in PvP

Posted by: Cam Ron.4170

Cam Ron.4170

None of the classes are awful.

Other games have classes that are no-play in Pvp and guild wars 2 really does better than this.

If you want to be serious, though, high end Pvp is mostly about rotating & mobility to cause mismatches, and so if you want to get good, learn to play mobile specs, such as classes with leaps or teleports.

agree nd if you’re not sure what role you want to play for your team- go Ele IMO, they are so versatile and can do well in any role.

in PvP

Drakul.8092

Thanks guys,

Will go Ele and see how I go!

in PvP

Drakul.8092

Any more build suggestions or is celestial D/D the way to go

in PvP

Posted by: Eurantien.4632

Eurantien.4632

The best class by a mile is engineer. It can be hard to master but is by far the strongest class.

in PvP

Posted by: Chicago Jack.5647

Chicago Jack.5647

Anyone that uses celestial + battle sigil + strength runes is considered top tier atm. 9 stacks of might for ~35 seconds without even thinking about it forces quite a few options, for team compositions, out of the meta.

in PvP

Posted by: Michaeas Magister.1589

Michaeas Magister.1589

What a t s e posted is quite true as is what Chicago Jack posted. The current “gods” in sPvP are Engineers and Elementalists using the celestial amulet + battle sigil + strength runes.

Elementalist and Engineers also never run out of skills to use as they both have access to more than any of the other professions do. This means they never get stuck in “cooldown states” where they have all their skills on cooldown and become easy kills.

If you like magic-using professions, you really cannot go wrong with Elementalist.

Thanks.

It’s as I have always said,
“You can get more results with a kind word and a big stick,
than you can with merely a kind word.”

in PvP

Posted by: Elitist.8701

Elitist.8701

God Tier: Ele, Warrior
High Tier: Guardian, Engi
Mid Tier: Ranger, Mesmer
Trash Tier: Thief, Necro

-Teef Teef Teef Teef former SD thief

Best Multiclass NA. RIP my beautiful Necromancer, such a shame. Retired, April 2015. GG Anet,
I’m not coming back, not that you care.

in PvP

Posted by: Elegie.3620

Elegie.3620

Hi,

I think that all classes have a fair chance in doing good in some team compositions, albeit not at any role. You should therefore also take into account what role you’d prefer to play (bunker, support, bruiser, offtank, roamer…).

Note that you can create and use many classes right away in PvP, so you could start and play all of them, experiment each role, until you find yourself in a position where you want to master a class.

The elementalist is versatile, it can attack as well as defend and provide good support. D/D celestial elementalists are common, but to have them work make sure to check how you make combos (to gain might, to heal and so forth…). Celestial gear have indeed balanced stats, but their level is average, and they must be complemented with boon stacking. Other elementalists builds are possible: for instance, using a staff gives you more area control, using berserker gear gives you high burst damage.

Welcome on the GW2 PvP, and on these forums. Have fun playing!

in PvP

Posted by: Demonts.4593

Demonts.4593

Don’t take the best class at the moment because it always changes. Play what you think fills the role you want to play

in PvP

Posted by: Sifu.9745

Sifu.9745

Thanks guys,

Will go Ele and see how I go!

NO! Avoid elementalist. It is so frustrating. It’s the hardest prof to master in PvP. Survivability is very very very very very poor (if you don’t play staff cleric), Warrior can easily kill you, with no effort just with his longbow for example, dmg is everage and playstyle is probably the most difficult in the game. You have TEN more buttons to handle than other profs, with exception of bomb/grenade Engineer. Friendly prof for beginners my kitten

Mesmer is much much much easier and way more effective and a lot of fun, if you want a mage type of proff. Take Staff and Scepter or GS and you will have a lot of fun.
Warrior is also very easy with nice survivability and great dmg and Ranger with Longbow is not far behind. Just avoid ele: this profession is completely broken.

in PvP

Posted by: Neko.9021

Neko.9021

Ele is super strong and a great choice in the current meta. http://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Elementalist_-_Dagger/Dagger

in PvP

Posted by: Neptune.2570

Neptune.2570

1. Engi
2. Ele, Guard
3. Warrior, Ranger
4. Mesmer, Thief, Necro

There’s only a small gap between 3 and 4

Daliriant, Dr Octogon [Champion Illusionist]
Mellowpuff [Champion Hunter]

in PvP

Posted by: Frenk.5917

Frenk.5917

Tier 1: Guardian, Warrior, Ele
Tier 2: Ele, Engineer, Necro
Tier 3: Necro, Thief, Mesmer
Tier 4: Thief, Mesmer, Ranger

I put some classes twice because I feel like sometimes the definition of “how good a class is” depends on the player’s skill. For example, I’d certainly pick Sizer in a team over a top 100 Necro.

Frenk – EU
All is vain

in PvP

Posted by: Blackjack.5621

Blackjack.5621

Ele
Warrior
Engi
Mesmer
Guardian
Thief
Necro
Ranger

But this is a team game and you shouldnt see classes that isolated. They fill specific roles and even if they are not on top they might be the best for their role.

I Zapdos I
WTS Boston winner
Esl profile: http://play.eslgaming.com/player/7930634/

(edited by Blackjack.5621)