Player vs. Player in Guild Wars 2 is an exciting game-type that pits you against other players from across the world in the ultimate test of skill. Whether you’re looking for casual skull-cracking or competitive domination – we’ve got you covered. While you play you’ll earn ranks, gold, and if you’re playing during a league season – you’ll earn prestige!
There are three main avenues to choose from to participate in PvP in Guild Wars 2:
- Custom Arenas – Duel your friends or setup scrimmages with competing teams! With the customizable settings, you’ll have your very own playground to make your own. Custom Arena owners are also able to play on an exclusive death-match style map – Courtyard.
- Unranked Arena – The perfect place for getting your feet wet in structured PvP – this is the main arena we recommend for new and veteran players. All conquest maps are available in this queue.
- Ranked Arena – During PvP League Seasons, jump into the most competitive version of Guild Wars 2 PvP. Those who perservere and conquer can join the elite few in the Legendary division.
In the Conquest game-type, two teams of five players each are matched up against each other. The objective is to be the first team to reach 500 points. Points are awarded through holding capture points and kills. There are 3 capture points on the map, and when captured, each location grants one point every two seconds. Each player kill grants five points. If neither team reaches 500 points, the team with the most points will be declared the winner after the 15 minute time limit. In the event of a tie, the team with the highest total player score wins.
Each PvP map (listed below) also has a secondary objective:
- Forest of Niflhel – NPC monsters spawn after some time and then after every 3 minutes in the north-western and north-eastern corner. Defeating them grants your team 25 points and a short-time buff (+50 to all stats).
- Legacy of the Foefire – NPC guards and ‘guild lords’ spawn at the beginning of each match in the starting zones of their respective team. In order to get to the guild lord, the enemy team has to take down a wall first. Walls can only be damaged by direct damage. Defeating the Lord grants 150 points.
- Battle of Khylo – Each team has access to a trebuchet which can bombard any enemy or area on the battlefield. It causes massive damage to enemy players and causes knockback to players who get caught in the area of effect. It does no friendly-fire damage or knockback.
- Temple of the Silent Storm – Four ‘meditations’ spawn periodically through the map. After completing the channelling for each meditation, the respective team acquires the buff granted by that meditation.
- Spirit Watch – Capture the Orb of Ascension and bring it to any of the three shrines for bonus points.
- Skyhammer – Calibrate the Skyhammer to your team to do massive damage to the areas you select.
- Your personal score doesn’t correspond to the amount of rank you gain. You get fixed amounts of rank for winning and losing. Play to win!
- You only need one person to stand on a point to capture it.
- You cannot capture a point if you’re stealthed or invulnerable.
- Try not to take part in uneven fights. Use numbers in your favor.
- Watch your mini-map! You can see the location of your teammates and any enemies that they can see.
- Each capture point has a unique name. Learn them! Players will often refer to the specific name rather than the location of the point.
- Home is the closest capture point to your spawn, mid (or middle) is the capture point nearest to the center of the map, and far is the enemy team’s home point.
Rewards and Leagues
For information on PvP Reward tracks, please visit this Wiki page.
For information on the PvP League system, please visit this Wiki page.
How do I participate?
The Heart of the Mists is the central-hub for all things PvP-related.
- To access Heart of the Mists, click the crossed-sword icon in the top left-hand corner of your in-game interface.
- In the top left-hand corner of the PvP panel, select “Go to Heart of the Mists”.
(edited by Josh Davis.6015)