New to PvP - desperatly want to improve

in PvP

Posted by: Auntie.7864

Auntie.7864

I haven’t done much pvp. I’m participating in current tournament. I like the rating system as it provides me an insight to how well I play. Problem is, I am pretty embarrassed at how low my rating is and I am not getting better. With each match I feel I am failing my team.

I want to improve my play. I read posts but the jargon is over my head – I’m noob. I’ve been using a Mesmer with a build of my own. I think I should drop Mesmer altogether and try another profession. Any advice? Is there a better starting prof/build?

I predominantly play pve. At this point I feel I should just not play pvp. I don’t want to walk away from it yet. I’d appreciate positive suggestions.

in PvP

Posted by: alemfi.5107

alemfi.5107

The best way we can give direct advice is probably if you were to record a game and present it for critique. “Any advice? Is there a better starting prof/build?”

In order from the lowest skill floor to obtain decent success to the greatest difficulty (in my opinion) are:

1: Guardian
2: Warrior
3: Scrapper
4: Necro
5: Elementalist
6: Ranger
7: Mesmer
8: Thief

There was a ninth class, but anet deleted them from pvp. Kappa

But in all honesty, you chose a class that has more elements that you need to understand about than most to obtain decent success.

When ground-targetted bone minion explosions become a thing, I will change this signature.- 2013
http://twitch.tv/alemfi/

in PvP

Posted by: Saurrec.6402

Saurrec.6402

OK first things first.
Mesmer is hard to pull off well in PvP, there are many guides on them if you want.
Within the forum there are many tips/tricks threads for PvP (I made one a few days ago)

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/pvp/Tips-Tricks-for-pvp-how-to-be-better-at-it/first#post6471303

Some simple tips I would throw out to a “hardcore” PvP newcomer is go into one of the hotjoin 1v1 or practice servers.
Simple thing to do is simply run a meta mesmer build and follow another teammate (you won’t get an impressive score this way but you won’t be a complete liability.)
Also alert your team at the pregame (you may get a couple cross words) but often A more experienced player will take you under their wing for the match.
Don’t be shy, ask in mapchat if someone will team up with you or duel you on a empty server.

A physical disability hasn’t stopped me from being a Polite, Helpful, & Badkitten player.

(edited by Saurrec.6402)

in PvP

Posted by: Vicariuz.1605

Vicariuz.1605

One of the better advices I heard was, this game plays much more like a fighting game in pvp than like you remember WoW pvp. It’s true, this game is combo based not skill rotation based (though there are defensive rotations), but in a different way. Instead of a straight up healer topping you off, you have invulnerability frames, evade frames, dodge frames etc; akin to Smash Bros invuln frames.

To get better at PvP, you need to keybind well, whatever they are they need to be good binds. Example, on Mesmer, you are going to need to be able to use every single ability within the span of F5 Chontinuum Split. And not just in any order, you are going to need to use all of those abilities, in combos, while maintaining clone clount. Good keybinds make it easier to play any class more effectively, but especially those with somewhat complex mechanics.

What else makes you better at the game? Learning the maps, and the ways to use the terrain to your advantage, this means using movement abilities and jumping puzzles to create space between you and your target, or close that space. There are many videos on youtube about all the different ways to kite on each map, they are worth the watch.

After you set up your keybinds and learn the maps, it would be a good idea to start dueling people you know. 1v1 you will begin to understand match ups, the crux of every pvp match, is the match ups that are chosen; you want to rotate into favorable match ups, and the only way to do that is to learn the fights. Duel as much as you possibly can, you are going to need the muscle memory and spamming duels with a friend for an even just an hour will help with acknowledging patterns in the fight and reacting appropriately to them.

I’ll provide some helpful links.

Here is the best Mesmer in the world’s guide to keybinds: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yw9wwjGH6j0
Here are some tips and tricks by him as well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qipMu_1-oYk
Here is his twitch stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thelordhelseth

Another great player to learn from is ROM, if u learn the habits of good players and try to emulate that you will perform better. I suggest watching his vods (last broadcast), he does not play Mesmer, but perhaps seeing other classes played well may interest you in them.

Here is his twitch stream: https://www.twitch.tv/romoncoke

This link provides you with meta builds, I suggest running exactly what is on the site until you become skilled enough to deviate. These are guide-lines, and at a certain level need to be tweaked based upon your enemy teams composition, but over all are the most effective archtypes.

http://metabattle.com/wiki/Conquest

(edited by Vicariuz.1605)

in PvP

Posted by: HeadCrowned.6834

HeadCrowned.6834

To become a better mechanical player, dueling is the best practice. Play normal matches to get better in terms of rotation/where to go, etc. Mesmer is a good class in PvP, you can stick with it. Although I would recommend to pick the metabuild from metabattle.com
It is harder to play well with a non-metabuild if you are a beginner at pvp. For now I would say: focus on dueling to be able to win your 1v1’s. If you are good at this, good rotation will be the next step.

(edited by HeadCrowned.6834)

in PvP

Posted by: Wargameur.6950

Wargameur.6950

I would say practise, breather and knowledge are the 3 things you need to get better.

- Practise, because you will understand better some situations as you encounter them. It allows you to identify your weakness and where you are doing good. First hand experience also gives you a sense of timing, you will get used to the timing of vulnerability of your enemy.

- Breather : Playing always the same class and mechanics in pvp can be stressful, even more when you don’t do very well. As a main thief (dagger/pistol) I’m sometimes tired of looking out for +1, be extra careful during team fight and no condi access. I play my mesmer during those moments (aoe, nice survavibility,etc.). It allows you to see another perspective of the game that is useful once you get back to your main.

- Knowledge : I would say join an official class forum guild. In my case joining [Teef] was really nice, I got to know a lot of thieves that were better than me and always ready to give pointers. You can easily find people to train with, explain you why this sigil is better than this one and so on. I didn’t stay long in [OMFG] but the official mesmer forum guild have nice people, you should give it a try.

main ~ Esper Jace (Thief )/ Ellundril Jiluan
(mesmer ) – EU [Teef]

in PvP

Posted by: steelheart.7386

steelheart.7386

The best way we can give direct advice is probably if you were to record a game and present it for critique. “Any advice? Is there a better starting prof/build?”

In order from the lowest skill floor to obtain decent success to the greatest difficulty (in my opinion) are:

1: Guardian
2: Warrior
3: Scrapper
4: Necro
5: Elementalist
6: Ranger
7: Mesmer
8: Thief

There was a ninth class, but anet deleted them from pvp. Kappa

But in all honesty, you chose a class that has more elements that you need to understand about than most to obtain decent success.

Elementalist and especially not Ranger are not harder to play well then Necro. A strong argument can be made for Necro as the hardest to play at least in a mostly solo queue environment. You are always targeted first and have very little in the way of defense except for shroud which takes time to build up enough life force to stay in it for more then a few seconds. Support Ele and Druid are more popular classes in my experience which tells me that the average player feels they are easier as well.

(edited by steelheart.7386)