No love for OTP ?

No love for OTP ?

in PvP

Posted by: Markus.9084

Markus.9084

Hi,

I play gw2 since the beginning of the beta. I’m not an hardcore player (like 2200h in 3.6 years, that’s not much). I main engineer, because i love the concept of this class, all the various builds possible, etc… So yes, I’m kind of an otp (one trick pony), because I can play decently only engineer (96% of my time spent is on ONE character)

It’s a long story, but in short I was playing mostly WvW before the DBL, and now i try pvp…

But here is my problem :
why can’t i unlock all the achievements by playing only my favorite class ?

I’m stuck at a point where I must play another class in order to unlock the Part II of PvP achievements….
Is A-net saying that you MUST play several class in order to be a “good” pvp-er ?

Attachments:

No love for OTP ?

in PvP

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

It does make you a better PvPer to play other classes, in a way that just reading about them doesn’t accomplish.

If someone was an expert at every single profession, that person would be an absolute nightmare to duel.

No love for OTP ?

in PvP

Posted by: GreenPhoenix.2943

GreenPhoenix.2943

It does make you a better PvPer to play other classes, in a way that just reading about them doesn’t accomplish.

If someone was an expert at every single profession, that person would be an absolute nightmare to duel.

This is very true, once you begin to play other classes, you can see what your opponent is doing and are able to counter much more easily

No love for OTP ?

in PvP

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

This is very true, once you begin to play other classes, you can see what your opponent is doing and are able to counter much more easily

It also makes you less likely to whine for nerfs on the official forums.

No love for OTP ?

in PvP

Posted by: Saiyan.1704

Saiyan.1704

I disagree that a multiclass player will be that much better at dueling to, say, some one whose mained a single class for 2200+ hours and has dueled for the majority.

I’m unconvinced you’ll automatically be a better duelist if you’re already good at it. That said, anyone who isn’t a veteran duelist WILL improve himself if he multiclasses.

Edited
I agree with OP. The Legendary piece shouldn’t be a multiclass requirement as if you’re suddenly a God Duelist for doing so. Experience i.e Time Spent & Games Played should be a bigger determinant.

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

(edited by Saiyan.1704)

No love for OTP ?

in PvP

Markus.9084

I usually ask my guildmates “How can i counter that ? — Use condi/it has a long cd, dodge it/pop your invu” and it’s fine…… OR I die, and die, and die until I learn how to counter it. Like in old games….
I’m not really a forum whiner asking for nerfs (you can check my forum account if you want).
And i’ve seen some kittenty meta in WvW (from the spamm 2 celestial thieves to the perplexity Warriors", and I’ve always chosen the right build to counter it….

Back on topic : I can understand your point of view : you say that the perfect pvp-er should play all class, in order to perfectly understand each one….. But then why should I play 2 of them to have the achievements ? Why not 9 ?

If you lower the number of class you must master from 9 to 2 to unlock the achivement, why not lower it again to 1 ?

(edited by Markus.9084)

No love for OTP ?

in PvP

Posted by: Varezenem.2813

Varezenem.2813

I usually ask my guildmates “How can i counter that ? — Use condi/it has a long cd, dodge it/pop your invu” and it’s fine…… OR I die, and die, and die until I learn how to counter it. Like in old games….
I’m not really a forum whiner asking for nerfs (you can check my forum account if you want).
And i’ve seen some kittenty meta in WvW (from the spamm 2 celestial thieves to the perplexity Warriors", and I’ve always chosen the right build to counter it….

Back on topic : I can understand your point of view : you say that the perfect pvp-er should play all class, in order to perfectly understand each one….. But then why should I play 2 of them to have the achievements ? Why not 9 ?

If you lower the number of class you must master from 9 to 2 to unlock the achivement, why not lower it again to 1 ?

The actual number is 3. If you want to do this achievement without playing another profession you can swap to another profession at the end of a match.

Senbu Ren[Wind]
Herald of Ventari

No love for OTP ?

in PvP

Posted by: Lettuce.2945

Lettuce.2945

I disagree that a multiclass player will be that much better at dueling to, say, some one whose mained a single class for 2200+ hours and has dueled for the majority.

I’m unconvinced you’ll automatically be a better duelist if you’re already good at it. That said, anyone who isn’t a veteran duelist WILL improve himself if he multiclasses.

Edited
I agree with OP. The Legendary piece shouldn’t be a multiclass requirement as if you’re suddenly a God Duelist for doing so. Experience i.e Time Spent & Games Played should be a bigger determinant.

Kind of surprising to hear you say that considering one of the guilds you’re in are full of pro multi classers and duelists. Hmmm?

No love for OTP ?

in PvP

Posted by: BurrTheKing.8571

BurrTheKing.8571

The one argument for this system is that ideally you should at least be familiar with other classes so that if you get teamed up with 2 other of the same class you can swap to round out the team comp. Now that I reached Legendary on just Warrior this season I’m going to probably be at least duo classing.

Playing every class for at least a few hours, even if just in PvE, will help you to understand how every skill works. Not to mention maxing out another class in this game is absurdly easy for most.

That being said, FORCING players to multiclass to get the achievements is debatable. Although, achievements are also totally optional.

Just an angry old man…

Old Man Burr (War), Bad Hat Ben (Engi), Manly Manny Manson (Guard)

No love for OTP ?

in PvP

Markus.9084

Playing every class for at least a few hours, even if just in PvE, will help you to understand how every skill works. Not to mention maxing out another class in this game is absurdly easy for most.

I did that. In fact I have all class and I’ve played with each of them several hours in PvE to see their gameplay. For example, I though thief was easy to play (2 years ago now it’s a bit different), so I spent most of my non-engineer gaming time on this class, and I even tried few PvP games with it (hence the 99% and not 100% games on engineer).
I have enough tomes to lvl up at least 2 other character.

But I think I don’t know these other class enough to use them in PvP. I’m 100% sure I’ll be a burden for my team…

The actual number is 3. If you want to do this achievement without playing another profession you can swap to another profession at the end of a match.

Can i swap to another profession in game, before we reach 500 points and not get a dishonor ?

Edit : I check it, and I must reconnect before the end of the match (so before 500) to not have the dishonor debuff… So I must change class when I’m 100% sure my team will win (so not too early), and not too late in order to have time to reconnect…
That’s a bit risky

(edited by Markus.9084)