Only one reason for stunbreak

in PvP

Posted by: Twenynge.8520

Twenynge.8520

Hundred blades. There is nothing else out there that scares me enough to warrant carrying a stun break. Pistol whip is annoying, sure, but it isn’t going to do 10,062 damage on a character with 3513 defense (just happened to me).

Is it dodgeable? Sure. So is everything else. Is it easily avoidable? For arguments sake, let’s say yes. But when you get nailed with a bull’s rush from behind, from a warrior you didn’t see, you’d better have a stun break.

And that’s the rub. A single skill by a single class dictates that everyone carry a stun break in one of their utility slots. That’s why it isn’t balanced. No other skill can punish a mistake so severely. I, as a matter of principle, don’t carry a stun break because I feel I shouldn’t have to. One skill shouldn’t dictate the metagame the way HB currently does.

(edited by Twenynge.8520)

in PvP

Posted by: Payneful.7934

Payneful.7934

Ever had a rifle warrior knock you down and burst you down before you get up?

What about a mesmer who stuns you then blurred frenzy+mind wracks you before you get out of the stun?

and believe me…. two hasted pistol whips do far more than 10k damage. If you don’t have a stun break, you will eat both of them.

Payne [PTC] Thief
Pancakes To Celebrate

in PvP

Twenynge.8520

Ever had a rifle warrior knock you down and burst you down before you get up?

What about a mesmer who stuns you then blurred frenzy+mind wracks you before you get out of the stun?

and believe me…. two hasted pistol whips do far more than 10k damage. If you don’t have a stun break, you will eat both of them.

Nope. That hasn’t happened to me. Or if it has, I’ve never seen my health go down as precipitously as when I get knocked down by a HB warrior. Assuming what you said is true, and I’m not sure it is, the fact that a stun break is a necessity severely limits ALL OF OUR BUILDS. What if a knock back were required? Or a push? Or a pull? Or a burn? If Arenanet wanted us to have 2 utility skills plus a stunbreak, they would have set skill 7 to “stunbreak”. They didn’t.

A stun break shouldn’t be required any more than a skill to grant might. Or swiftness. Or anything else, for that matter. That is my point.

(edited by Twenynge.8520)

in PvP

Payneful.7934

Every stun break in the game has some other function as well. So it serves two purposes. For example, I’m a thief. I always have “roll for initiative”. Not only does it break me out of every CC in the game, but it gives me 6 initiative.

Another example is engi’s utility goggles. It’s a stun break and it gives fury.

Payne [PTC] Thief
Pancakes To Celebrate

in PvP

Posted by: aleiro.8521

aleiro.8521

Could you please stop whining about 100 blades mate, it’s a melee ability and warriors that run that spec are extremely fragile. Stunbreaks are necessary because all the freaking classes in the game have CC not because some burst skill that can be used once every 48 seconds or so (cd for frenzy traited) maybe the warrior will get one kill. Once they notice his build he will get zerged down every time, end of story. it’s not op, and please this is getting old. It’s good that people die in pvp otherwise it would be completely stupid.
Anyone remember when they tried to make people invincible in RIFT?
it was completely pointless to do pvp then…

in PvP

Twenynge.8520

I, as a matter of principle, don’t carry a stun break because I feel I shouldn’t have to.

you are every thief’s wet dream
be more bad, please

I don’t have a problem with thieves. I eat them for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. But to that end, yes, I am intentionally “bad”, because I don’t think that one skill from one class should dictate my build. One skill from one class and you. You’re obviously very good.

in PvP

Posted by: Detahmaio.2014

Detahmaio.2014

Could you please stop whining about 100 blades mate, it’s a melee ability and warriors that run that spec are extremely fragile. Stunbreaks are necessary because all the freaking classes in the game have CC not because some burst skill that can be used once every 48 seconds or so (cd for frenzy traited) maybe the warrior will get one kill. Once they notice his build he will get zerged down every time, end of story. it’s not op, and please this is getting old. It’s good that people die in pvp otherwise it would be completely stupid.

A frail warrior? Where can I find one.

in PvP

Twenynge.8520

Stunbreaks are necessary because all the freaking classes in the game have CC not because some burst skill that can be used once every 48 seconds or so (cd for frenzy traited) maybe the warrior will get one kill.

I’d gladly eat any other skill due to CC besides a frenzied HB if it means I can bring another kit. Or my own KD. No Problem! The only skill I CAN’T eat is HB.

in PvP

Twenynge.8520

Stunbreaks are necessary because all the freaking classes in the game have CC not because some burst skill that can be used once every 48 seconds or so (cd for frenzy traited) maybe the warrior will get one kill.

I’d gladly eat any other skill due to CC besides a frenzied HB if it means I can bring another kit. Or my own KD. No Problem! The only skill I CAN’T eat is HB.

Edit: I’m not saying HB is great. It isn’t. It just isn’t good enough when your opponent has mobility and is too good when they don’t.

in PvP

aleiro.8521

But if you don’t have mobility you get owned by everything not just 100b…you need mobility in pvp….you can’t play like a freaking turret especially in GW2.

in PvP

aleiro.8521

A frail warrior? Where can I find one.

MAke your own 100b warrior and tell me if you have any survivability…

in PvP

Posted by: Streaks.5076

Streaks.5076

I, as a matter of principle, don’t carry a stun break because I feel I shouldn’t have to.

you are every thief’s wet dream
be more bad, please

I don’t carry stun break because there’s no room for it.

Noob – Revanent

Looking for a good guild for PoF

in PvP

Posted by: Psychrome.9281

Psychrome.9281

hundred blades is the most obvious ability and easy to avoid, and aside from that if you dont carry a stun break or condition removal you are really doing it wrong backstab is the really annoying op ability at least you can avoid hundred blades

in PvP

Posted by: Red Falcon.8257

Red Falcon.8257

Other players don’t care about your “principles”, players can and will spec into CC just as they do any other game.
If you sit there for 3 full seconds getting HB in your face it’s your own problem, not the game’s or the players’.

If you don’t feel anti-CC should be mandatory for PvP then I don’t even know what other MMO to redirect you to since all of them rely on control for PvP.

in PvP

Posted by: Animosity.5231

Animosity.5231

Red Falcon pretty much hit it on the head. Only difference between GW2 and other MMOs is you have access to almost all of your abilities at any given time (unless it’s on CD), but GW2 only allows a limited number of skills to be taken for any given build – that’s the main issue. If you want a utility focused build, you have to sacrifice CC removal for utility.

And yeah, 2 hasted Pistol Whips will do around 10k if not more. As a general rule, I bring a stun-break, 2 if at all possible, and when I see a Thief or Warrior coming at me, I let them blow their quickness and hit the air a bit before I kill them.

Biggest problem, I think, is the lack of diminishing returns for CC, and quickness. Nerf quickness, implement DR for CC, and suddenly PW and 100B become a little more manageable. When a Warrior can Bull’s Charge, 100B, immobilize, and finish you off with time to spare on quickness for a half-time stomp, it gets frustrating.

in PvP

Posted by: LanceHavenbay.2067

LanceHavenbay.2067

A stun break shouldn’t be required any more than a skill to grant might. Or swiftness. Or anything else, for that matter. That is my point.

Yesyesyes!!! I do not carry stun break either. I also feel like it is just… bad… to force someone to use a slot specifically for stun break. If you are going to make it such a requirement, at least give us another slot on our skill-bar specifically for breaking stun…

Even with 8 skills in Guild Wars 1, you have ways to prevent crowd control effectively without completely wasting your slot. That same skill could be used to block, etc.

In Guild Wars 2, that is no longer true.

in PvP

Posted by: Nargaroth.1482

Nargaroth.1482

So, you can counter an entire class by bringing one skill and you still complain about it?
Tell me more about your balance arguments.

By the way, you can change your skill in the middle of the arena. It’s not locked down like in guild wars 2. So, no warriors? Change build. But if you are that bad, well…

(edited by Nargaroth.1482)

in PvP

Posted by: Kalar Meadia.8439

Kalar Meadia.8439

You can easily adjust your weapons and utility skills any time out of combat to fit the particular needs of the team compositions.

For a Mesmer, many of our abilities come with built in stun-breaks. Our sealth, our Blink and Mirror Images are all stun-breaks. They’re good to have along because they have other utilities too.

Same for pretty much ever stun breaker in this game. “Shake it Off” removes debuffs from people surrounding you while breaking stun, etc.

So no, there’s more to stun-breakers than simply countering a burst combo, they’re utility in them too.

in PvP

Posted by: aydenunited.5729

aydenunited.5729

Saying you shouldn’t “have” to bring a stun lock in PvP in any MMO is like saying I shouldn’t “have” to wear weapons and armor if I don’t want to.

You pretty much know what’s going to happen to you.

Jumzi (Ranger), Tarnished Coast

in PvP

Posted by: Arcane.4950

Arcane.4950

There are many reasons to carry stunbreaks besides just the 100 blades kitten warriors.

in PvP

Posted by: Proeliator.8740

Proeliator.8740

Twenynge is this your first game to PVP?

crowd control (CC) and anti CC are the backbone of PVP

You have a heal and 4 other skills including an elite. I believe most classes have at least four ways to break stuns. Do you think they put all those stun breakers in just to counter one ability? Anti CC is the backbone of a well rounded PVP character. Defense is just as important as offense unless you want to die constantly. Stun breakers work on a wide range of things across many characters that immobilize or incapacitate you.

You say you don’t have room on your skill bar or that you don’t want to take it out of principle well what exactly are you putting in its place that’s so important? You really only have a few choices in terms of function. DPS, defense, or CC. I would expect a person would generally take one skill from each category or be expected to compensate for it somehow. If you’re taking all DPS and CC skills it’s your own fault.

Oh yeah and just fyi 100 blades is something like a 4-5 sec animation without frenzy so you need 100 blades + a stun + frenzy. That’s three skills with a 40+ sec cooldown all countered by 1 skill ( a stun breaker). Not to mention that warrior is going to be taking a lot more damage during that window frenzy is up.

Wait until you start getting gibbed by thieves constantly and we’ll see if you still think 100 blade is the only reason to take a stun breaker.

in PvP

Posted by: Angry Flying Squirrel.3041

Angry Flying Squirrel.3041

Every single person that says 100b is easy to avoid, clearly never plays tpvp.

This is not a 1v1 game, its a team game. And dispite what all of you are saying playing do not get unlimited stun breaks and dodges. Smart 100b warriors will land it, and will land it all the time. Lots of tpvp teams are running that set up. Have fun avoiding 100b in a 3v3 fight were the other team is using a hammer Guardian or knockdown Eng. You will get knocked down at some point, and as soon as that happens expect a 10k hit from that warrior (and that’s if you run full toughness, its higher if you build your Prof for Vitality).

Setnnex-Necro

in PvP

Twenynge is this your first game to PVP?

crowd control (CC) and anti CC are the backbone of PVP

You have a heal and 4 other skills including an elite. I believe most classes have at least four ways to break stuns. Do you think they put all those stun breakers in just to counter one ability? Anti CC is the backbone of a well rounded PVP character. Defense is just as important as offense unless you want to die constantly. Stun breakers work on a wide range of things across many characters that immobilize or incapacitate you.

You say you don’t have room on your skill bar or that you don’t want to take it out of principle well what exactly are you putting in its place that’s so important? You really only have a few choices in terms of function. DPS, defense, or CC. I would expect a person would generally take one skill from each category or be expected to compensate for it somehow. If you’re taking all DPS and CC skills it’s your own fault.

Oh yeah and just fyi 100 blades is something like a 4-5 sec animation without frenzy so you need 100 blades + a stun + frenzy. That’s three skills with a 40+ sec cooldown all countered by 1 skill ( a stun breaker). Not to mention that warrior is going to be taking a lot more damage during that window frenzy is up.

Wait until you start getting gibbed by thieves constantly and we’ll see if you still think 100 blade is the only reason to take a stun breaker.

You act like we get all 4 of those in a single build, we don’t. CC removers are a long CD and stuns are on much shorter CD. You also act like we always have our stun break off CD? 100b is what 10CD, vs most stun breaks are on 60sec?

And Again you think that all fights are 1v1, the warrior does not have to bring a stun, they don’t have to be the one that lands the stun. Also they only have to wait until your fighting another player and than they charge you. Good look dodging a warrior you never saw.

Setnnex-Necro

in PvP

Posted by: phaeris.7604

phaeris.7604

You really have a problem with the Hb combo.

It takes 3 skills to be up for it to happen. If frenzy isn’t up HB is a dreadful skill.

If you were to remove frenzy/HB the Greatsword line would be so incredibly lackluster it would be up their with longbow in spvp effectiveness.

I stopped using the combo simply because it was so avoidable, and if the person avoided it, you stood there swinging at air and took 50 percent extra damage. So ultimately even if you did get someone down you went down straight afterwards. If you didn’t kill them in one burst you would go down in the blink of an eye.

I’d be more concerned about the thief version of frenzy + pistol whip/HS spam.

Or how about pick the warrior out at the start of the fight and moa him. Now he has no defence for 10 seconds and can do less than nothing. Fight won.

in PvP

lol so your answer is to use an even more op ability to counter it? And what counters moa? What if your the one moa’ed and than charged by a 100b warrior? No stun breaker for you.

Setnnex-Necro

in PvP

Posted by: Zogyark.4597

Zogyark.4597

lol so your answer is to use an even more op ability to counter it? And what counters moa? What if your the one moa’ed and than charged by a 100b warrior? No stun breaker for you.

Problem there is Moa, which is a skill that indeed needs some tweaking at least allowing stunbreaks and not overriding other elites. Moa is a skill that counters everything and can’t be countered.

Necromancer Lupicus Solo – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWkSkhmWiDU

Retired Until Expansion or Meaningful Content is Released.

(edited by Zogyark.4597)

in PvP

Problem there is Moa, which is a skill that indeed needs some tweaking at least allowing stunbreaks and not overriding other elites. Moa is a skill that counters everything and can’t be countered.

It would have been better if they had just made you immune to damage when moe’ed. Than you still get the effect of removing a player from play for 10 sec, and yet its not an i-win button. Or if not immune than take 50% less damage or something.

Setnnex-Necro

in PvP

Payneful.7934

Yesyesyes!!! I do not carry stun break either. I also feel like it is just… bad… to force someone to use a slot specifically for stun break. If you are going to make it such a requirement, at least give us another slot on our skill-bar specifically for breaking stun…

Even with 8 skills in Guild Wars 1, you have ways to prevent crowd control effectively without completely wasting your slot. That same skill could be used to block, etc.

In Guild Wars 2, that is no longer true.

Nice fake quote. Foo to you sir. Quaggan signing out

Payne [PTC] Thief
Pancakes To Celebrate

in PvP

phaeris.7604

Dude, if your moad, soemone throwings stones from a downed state will kill you, never mind 100bs…

If you don’t have stun breaks/teleports etc/ abilities which shift you or do something defensive when you lose a ceratin amount of life quickly chances are you have access to stability.

When i’m entering a fight/facing a GS warrior i’ll usually pop stability. I pop it when I enter a big fight because chances are someone iwll try and knock you over and you’ll be the recipient of a big damage ability (thief/guardian fire breath thing/mesmer multishatter/ dragons tooth….the list goes on….)

in PvP

Dude, if your moad, soemone throwings stones from a downed state will kill you, never mind 100bs…

If you don’t have stun breaks/teleports etc/ abilities which shift you or do something defensive when you lose a ceratin amount of life quickly chances are you have access to stability.

When i’m entering a fight/facing a GS warrior i’ll usually pop stability. I pop it when I enter a big fight because chances are someone iwll try and knock you over and you’ll be the recipient of a big damage ability (thief/guardian fire breath thing/mesmer multishatter/ dragons tooth….the list goes on….)

Nope, —-——-> necro.

Only access to stability is 30 points into a trait line. It’s stun breakers are on 60-90 sec cd (unless you take the worm in that case its 40sec). But the worm is the only stun break in the game that can be killed.

While that’s great for your Prof, it needs to apply to all Prof, not just the one your playing.

Setnnex-Necro

in PvP

Posted by: Pimpslapper.2047

Pimpslapper.2047

As a thief, my favorite thing to do is steal 100B and then kill them with it.

in PvP

phaeris.7604

Reapers protection?

Stand inside a reapers mark?

Spectral walk?

Lich form?

Retaliation counters?

I’d say that’s a pretty good setup.

in PvP

Zogyark.4597

Necros actually have plenty of stunbreaks, HB rarely works on me, when using a deathshroud build I have 3 stunbreaks on me which are spectral armor, spectral walk and plague signet. I wasn’t using signet but dam rangers always be stacking me with bleeds so I figure I’d send them back to them.

+ The DS line has a spectral armor at 50% health, I believe this stunbreaks.

And you can death shroud while stunned and fear your enemy which is a nice save unless they bring stability, then you want to hope you have enough life force to tank the hit until you are unstunned.

in PvP

Posted by: Sprawl.3891

Sprawl.3891

I love the people that say you’re bad if you get hit by HB. Wrong. You’re a bad warrior (or your team is bad) if you can’t hit people with HB. Bad warriors don’t track stun breaks and OPEN fights with stun/hb/frenzy. Those bad warriors are the ones saying HB isn’t good it’s easily avoidable. Good warriors let a fight develop (and i’m not talking about 1v1) and time HB with combined CC of them AND their team mates to almost guarantee it lands.

TLDR:
Bad Warrior – “omg i always open with stun/HB and i rarely ever land, warriros are just debufed guardians”

Good Warrior “ok HB/Frenzy are off CD”
Thief team mate #1: “target already blew stun break”
Guardian team mate: “knocking target down, go”
pops frenzy/hb
Target Dead

Sprawl – Necro – Eredon Terrace

(edited by Sprawl.3891)

in PvP

Sprawl.3891

Necros actually have plenty of stunbreaks, HB rarely works on me, when using a deathshroud build I have 3 stunbreaks on me which are spectral armor, spectral walk and plague signet. I wasn’t using signet but dam rangers always be stacking me with bleeds so I figure I’d send them back to them.

And you can death shroud while stunned and fear your enemy which is a nice save unless they bring stability, then you want to hope you have enough life force to tank the hit until you are unstunned.

Using spectral walk, spectral armor and plague signet is pretty bad utility bar unless you are spec’d for 1v1 only.

in PvP

phaeris.7604

Or..the opposing team go ‘Lets hit the GS warrior first, he’ll go down super easy’.

Of all the targets to pick why wouldn’t you go after the gw warrior.

Mesmer- I’m not spending 5 minutes chasing someone
Engineer- amazing kiting running through mines not worth it first.
Necro – Need to go through 2 health bars and a slew of conditions
Guardian – enough said.
Thief – again…it’s not happening with stealth and shadowstep etc..
Elementalist – Correctly specced amazing escape abilities/mist form, not worth it first
Ranger – maybe…but they’re not really a threat.

So warrior becomes first target. He can’t escape, he has no ranged damage, he has low toughness if he’s HB spec, if he hasn’t hit got stability as his 3rd slot he’s falling over to everything. If he has so what, it means he has no stun breaker.

This is where the GS warrior is so weak. This is why no one runs warriors in decent tpvp teams.

in PvP

Posted by: Redscope.6215

Redscope.6215

Main issue is quickness.

All quickness abilities need to be removed.

Now watch as they lock this thread….for whatever reason…

in PvP

Zogyark.4597

Using spectral walk, spectral armor and plague signet is pretty bad utility bar unless you are spec’d for 1v1 only.

Not everyone specs for conditions/wells. I use a power/death shrould build. I’ve done up to 5k damage to light armor classes from a single life blast and usually finish in the top 2 in games with my team winning. Don’t judge the way I use my skills without knowing why I use them and how they aid my build and my team.

in PvP

Sprawl.3891

Not everyone specs for conditions/wells. I use a power/death shrould build. I’ve done up to 5k damage to light armor classes from a single life blast and usually finish in the top 2 in games with my team winning. Don’t judge the way I use my skills without knowing why I use them and how they aid my build and my team.

finishing “top” means absolutely nothing except you weren’t bunkering and tagged people before they died.

I’m assuming you are just a pug spvper, in which case stick with the 1v1, zero team support, utility bar.

in PvP

Sprawl.3891

Or..the opposing team go ‘Lets hit the GS warrior first, he’ll go down super easy’.

Guardian – enough said.
Elementalist – Correctly specced amazing escape abilities/mist form, not worth it first

So warrior becomes first target. He can’t escape, he has no ranged damage, he has low toughness if he’s HB spec, if he hasn’t hit got stability as his 3rd slot he’s falling over to everything. If he has so what, it means he has no stun breaker.

This is where the GS warrior is so weak. This is why no one runs warriors in decent tpvp teams.

that’s where your team and strategy comes into play. Why are they downing your warrior before you down them? why is your warrior leading the way into the fight?

Rangers are squishy, necro has no life force at the start of a match, etc

I could go into more but my post was in regards to BAD warriors complaining about HB rarely landing. Because they open every fight the same way.

in PvP

Zogyark.4597

finishing “top” means absolutely nothing except you weren’t bunkering and tagged people before they died.

I’m assuming you are just a pug spvper, in which case stick with the 1v1, zero team support, utility bar.

Nah, full seer/armaggedon sets here. I do play the condition/well build. Corrupt boon/signet/epidemic utilities but it’s easily to get bored of. I guess some people just don’t understand that you can play different builds and also be a powerhouse as a necro when you want which is also pretty fun.

in PvP

Posted by: xloz.6280

xloz.6280

Guardian – enough said.

I think you need to work on your target logic.
I do agree that Warriors are on the list of first targets on a clash just to shutdown single cc and Hb burst but rangers and necros are people u want to drop fast in a team fight.

in PvP

Sprawl.3891

Nah, full seer/armaggedon sets here. I do play the condition/well build. Corrupt boon/signet/epidemic utilities but it’s easily to get bored of. I guess some people just don’t understand that you can play different builds and also be a powerhouse as a necro when you want which is also pretty fun.

what does your gear have anything to do with anything LOL, same with scoring high points, they mean nothing in regards to skill.

I don’t use wells with condition build, i use wells with power/crit build because they hit HARD. I wouldn’t use them in a condition build at all.

in PvP

Zogyark.4597

@ Sprawl – Well Sprawl if you knew anything really you’d know armaggedon/seer gear is gained through tournament reward chests and with tournament tokens.

You’re trying too hard at this really.

in PvP

Posted by: Detahmaio.2014

Detahmaio.2014

@xloz necros can’t even hurt themselves if they wanted to lol

in PvP

Posted by: xloz.6280

xloz.6280

@xloz necros can’t even hurt themselves if they wanted to lol

A condi+well necro can swing a team fight- lucky for a lot of people most necros are BAD and can just be ignored.

I play ranger/necro/warrior/Mesmer Competitive in Tpvp and Necro is underrated as hell.

xloz-ranger
Nasty nasty nasty-necro
Wo wo wo wo-warrior
no skill required x- Mesmer

in PvP

Posted by: MaXi.3642

MaXi.3642

lets make stun breakers to be movement imparing effect breakers (removes stun, cripple, chilled and immobilize) or at least placeholder breakers (removes only stun and immobilize) => that would counter much more skills and solve this problem

in PvP

Posted by: Hid.7890

Hid.7890

Hundred blades and pistol whip are just the tip of the iceberg. You need that stun break to get out of any form of immobilize or stun, especially if you get stunned in the middle of AOE. While I fully agree that I myself initially started using my stun break specifically to avoid hundred blades and pistol whip, I still use my stun break against any other profession that can stun/impair me. As a thief, if I’m locked down for more than a few seconds, I can drop from full hp, so it’s too important to have that stun break ready for any immobilize/stun.

GM of Pve is too hard

in PvP

Sprawl.3891

@ Sprawl – Well Sprawl if you knew anything really you’d know armaggedon/seer gear is gained through tournament reward chests and with tournament tokens.

You’re trying too hard at this really.

You can get tournament tokens from salvaging chest gear which any bad player can get from pugging tournaments, again, armor has no bearing on skill. Didn’t think I needed to clarify that.

in PvP

No the specral armor at 50% health does not break armor. And never said necro’s don’t have stun break they have 4 just like most other Prof.

Setnnex-Necro