Open World PvP

Open World PvP

in PvP

Posted by: Zuko.7132

Zuko.7132

Is anyone else interested in a voluntary flagging system for open world pvp? Both players would have to be flagged so there would be no griefing. I know it’s unlikely to happen, but I don’t see a reason why it can’t. It would be really simple to implement, just a line of code that allows you to attack other players if their status is flagged. I know I would enjoy pve a lot more if there was the occasional player to fight.

The Elementalist Dual Dagger Legend – Rest in Peace

Open World PvP

in PvP

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

i can imagine that working well mixed with a merged WvW…. faction system.
Guilds could set hostile/allied guilds as well to avoid players adding alot of players.l

but i assume pve is ment to be another thing… for theplayers that dispise figthing other players and prefer scripted mobs :P

Still theres another way to implement limited zone pvp in pve with a pve reward:
An arena with prizes on the main cities would be interesting tho, at least that, there could be a tournament every day in one of the cities randomly.

top prize would be access to a dungeon of champions, something like that, where the players who won the tournaments could gather together and fight strong ascalonian ghosts on steroids .. really hard mission

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

(edited by Aeolus.3615)

Open World PvP

in PvP

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

Anything that would revolutionize PvP gameplay won’t happen. Their competitive team is very small. It take years for something like simple rewards to happen in WvW. In PvP they can’t even produce more than 1 map when they make an expansion, and this time they’ve done nothing at all…

Open World PvP

in PvP

Posted by: kdaddy.5431

kdaddy.5431

Plus they even ruined battle of kylo, i hate the new kylo. Like it was already my least favorite of temple, capricorn, forests but now i think its even worse the other 2 maps in ranked, like wow.

Open World PvP

in PvP

Posted by: flog.3485

flog.3485

Why not go WvW ? In some places you even have dedicated places where people duel. Why even bring PvP to PvE if they designed huge maps for players to fight each other ?

Open World PvP

in PvP

Posted by: Bigpapasmurf.5623

Bigpapasmurf.5623

Imo this is what WvW is for. This is one game that I believe doesn’t need Open World PvP.

If you were looking into something like WoW, Anet will need to get more servers and make them Open World vP servers, which takes time and money. They should just focus on making what they have now better before introducing a new game mode.

- Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/MC_Celestia
- I am currently a main thief roamer for SF in WvW. LOVE ME!
- {SOAP} Solo/Havoc roamer, lover of good fights

Open World PvP

in PvP

Zuko.7132

Imo this is what WvW is for. This is one game that I believe doesn’t need Open World PvP.

If you were looking into something like WoW, Anet will need to get more servers and make them Open World vP servers, which takes time and money. They should just focus on making what they have now better before introducing a new game mode.

No new servers. Literally just implement a flagging system, so that if both players want to fight they can. No time or money necessary. Wouldn’t take the focus away from any other development. It’s just a few lines of code. It’s fun to pvp in new places especially in cool maps from expansions. No griefing, has to be mutual. I don’t see a reason not to add it as an optional feature.

Open World PvP

in PvP

Posted by: Bigpapasmurf.5623

Bigpapasmurf.5623

No new servers. Literally just implement a flagging system, so that if both players want to fight they can. No time or money necessary. Wouldn’t take the focus away from any other development. It’s just a few lines of code. It’s fun to pvp in new places especially in cool maps from expansions. No griefing, has to be mutual. I don’t see a reason not to add it as an optional feature.

Tbh, it would probably be easier and/or cheaper to either adjust the WvW maps they have now, or create another WvW map. I respect your idea, however its not something I can see gw2 having (maybe gw3?)

- Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/MC_Celestia
- I am currently a main thief roamer for SF in WvW. LOVE ME!
- {SOAP} Solo/Havoc roamer, lover of good fights

Open World PvP

in PvP

Posted by: duster.7013

duster.7013

This has been suggested a lot of times in the past, or better yet making wvw occur in the real world as a mist invasion (it won’t ever happen due to bandwidth)

For some reason pver’s have lots of objections to the open world being interesting.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/How-to-make-the-game-world-more-interesting/first

Rift and eve have much more immersive open world pvp. I would consider even bothering leveling on the maps if I got to see wvw battles taking place via a mist war or something. Flagging for pvp in open world is a waste of time imo. There’s no point by then.

(edited by duster.7013)

Open World PvP

in PvP

Posted by: Trigr.6481

Trigr.6481

The reason why it wont work in this game imo is because gw2 was designed to be as non conflicting as possible. There’s no opposing factions between the players, or conflict between the players either. When you have everyone playing for the same team you tend to get a really boring, casual experience. I just don’t see it happening.

Countless

Open World PvP

in PvP

Posted by: Crinn.7864

Crinn.7864

I’m sure thieves and mesmers would really enjoy open world pvp.

However the rest of us…..

Sanity is for the weak minded.
YouTube

Open World PvP

in PvP

Posted by: Curunen.8729

Curunen.8729

Yeah has been suggested many times before and yes I’m still in favour of it.

PvE Tyria has some beautiful maps, far more interesting to play in than the limits pvp arenas and monotonous wvw alpine/desert borderlands and ebg (not going to mention eotm because most players actively avoid fights there unless it’s going for an objective..).

Trouble is despite the beautiful zones in Tyria, the gameplay is soooo boring because enemy mobs are so dumb and predictable. Not only this but stomping as a mechanic also adds a lot of flavour to combat, and sadly the only pve enemies that had this were those elite toxic alliance folks – which can still be found in areas like south of Kessex Hills.

If pve mobs were somewhat unpredictable and veterans/elites had downed state, it would be more fun to play rather than smacking your face against bullet sponges with millions of hp trying to do as much “dps” as possible…

I mean even if they just copy pasted some core tyria zones into wvw/the mists as a “free for all” skirmish only map, it would be fun to play (could still have pve dynamic events running but almost like an alternate reality of the map in the mists so everything is weird with players fighting each other). That would be awesome.

Open World PvP

in PvP

Posted by: Ithilwen.1529

Ithilwen.1529

Not only no, but kitten no. The exploiting of new players would be rampant. The unpleasantness around the “Queensdale Train” would look like a party in comparison.

Mesmerising Girl

Open World PvP

in PvP

Trigr.6481

Not only no, but kitten no. The exploiting of new players would be rampant. The unpleasantness around the “Queensdale Train” would look like a party in comparison.

Use your head, it’s not like the majority of mmo’s with open world pvp has a level limit in which you need to be before said pvp happens.

Countless

(edited by Trigr.6481)

Open World PvP

in PvP

Zuko.7132

Did you not read that both players have to be flagged…. Their could be no griefing… If you don’t want to deal with it then don’t flag, and no one can touch you even if they are flagged… Pls ready before posting dumb complaints….

Open World PvP

in PvP

Posted by: Ithilwen.1529

Ithilwen.1529

We’ve seen with the pvp badges, ( and other items,) that newish players often miss mechanics like a “flag” completely. ANET finally put in dodge tutorials when it became clear that newer players often didn’t realize they could/should dodge.

Such a system would be a setup for very unpleasant confrontations and having players leave the game.

Mesmerising Girl

Open World PvP

in PvP

Trigr.6481

We’ve seen with the pvp badges, ( and other items,) that newish players often miss mechanics like a “flag” completely. ANET finally put in dodge tutorials when it became clear that newer players often didn’t realize they could/should dodge.

Such a system would be a setup for very unpleasant confrontations and having players leave the game.

Good idea & Implementation > Crappy tutorials

I’d rather have a fleshed out idea brought to light and them being completely lazy about how it works then a well thought out tutorial about how to use the “V” key. I’d be willing to lose a few players with a low patience span than the opposite.

Countless

Open World PvP

in PvP

Posted by: Shaogin.2679

Shaogin.2679

If the flag is disabled by default, then what would be the problem? New players wouldn’t even know how to enable the flag, this there would be no risk of unpleasant confrontations.

Doc Von Doom – Asuran Necromancer
Gate of Madness
Contribute to the Wiki MetaBattle Builds