Opinion about sword thief?

in PvP

Posted by: SpecterMAT.7306

SpecterMAT.7306

What is your opinion about sword insta teleporting Thieves?

Tell me, fellow player.

in PvP

Posted by: Jesiah.2457

Jesiah.2457

I think Sword Dagger thieves are incredibly annoying to fight against … all the evades on top of infiltrator strike is quite … annoying. I wonder if Sword mainhand would be better or worse if it simply didn’t have the shadow return feature, but then again lololol … no one could run away from you if that were the case, but at the same time … they wouldn’t have more than too many options to disengage from a fight.

I don’t think infiltrator strike is really an issue aside from shadow return allowing for such an easy disengage, followed by evasive attacks with Sword / Dagger or even Sword / Pistol, the only difference is that S/P gets crushed by retaliation and only evades after the stun and can be much more easily shut down due to that.

There is no window to shut down Flanking Strike from S/D, it’s instant evasion, and gives them plenty of room to go “Hmm, I need to get out after this” so they just shadow return and can simply infil strike back in and go for Larcenous Strike, and disengage again.

I can’t say it’s really OP … but I will say it again, it’s pretty annoying.

in PvP

Posted by: hooma.9642

hooma.9642

answer is simple how risk has a s/d s/d thief who spams evades and how much rewards. if u go to thiefforum and watch the duelvids of s/d u will hopefully see that s/d s/d is op atm. dont now if iniativecost isnt high enough, regen to high, permavigor false or maybe rune of lyssa should be nerfed. that is a battle for anet to choose how higher up the risk for the amount of reward s/d thief gets.

in PvP

Posted by: TheOneNOnlyGeneralBama.9586

TheOneNOnlyGeneralBama.9586

Well my opinion is they are balanced …they have to make up for the lack of teleports with evasion and they ARE more susceptible to CC since they lack stealth / blinds. The daze can be pretty game changing in the right hands , and their dmg is strong but not over the top.

Verdict: Balanced

I never expect to lose. Even when I’m the Engineer , I still prepare a victory speech.

in PvP

Posted by: Amaterasu.6280

Amaterasu.6280

I main a thief and I can tell you that Sword #2 needs a nerf – and I don’t mean the bootleg nerf that it got a few patches ago making it “not” a stunbreak.

It was nothing but a joke…you can still teleport right back at 1200r via shadow return and by the time anyone gets to you, your cc would already be over thus making the change pointless.

With the popular s/d thieves running withdraw + sig of agility, it’s pretty much impossible to kill them unless you are a thief yourself. Now, that being said, I don’t have much problems killing s/d thieves, but that’s because I AM a thief. But when I play any other class, it’s extremely frustrating to play against.

A suggestion is they could try to put a CD on shadow return on sword #2 so that they can’t just disengage whenever then rinse and repeat.

Withdraw is another problem. I think the CD needs to go up…15s for a 1200r evade/stunbreak which heals you for 4k + gives you vigor (via vigorous recovery) is a lot. That along with signet of agility + feline grace trait + energy sigils, you get pretty much perma dodge when you need it. It’s a combination of these things that make the current s/d thieves so over the top.

I just hope whatever the near-future nerf/fix would be, that it won’t mess up other builds with different weapon sets.

Kuro – Thief – NA
Undercoverism [UC]

(edited by Amaterasu.6280)

in PvP

hooma.9642

Well my opinion is they are balanced …they have to make up for the lack of teleports with evasion and they ARE more susceptible to CC since they lack stealth / blinds. The daze can be pretty game changing in the right hands , and their dmg is strong but not over the top.

Verdict: Balanced

lack of teleports?? u sir should clearly watch the skills that brings s/d again and then revise ur answer. u know that a s/d can run berserker without the risks a d/d thief would go?

in PvP

Posted by: Brutal Arts.6307

Brutal Arts.6307

When fighting one, it depends on my class and build. If I’m running anything boon heavy I’ll just hit him a few times and run towards my team. No sense trying to hit someone while they’re evading and while they can’t be punished with a CC/aoe since they can teleport away at will.

When playing one? Lolololol Infiltrators Strike, Larcenous Strike Larcenous Strike Shadow Step.

You have gotten what you paid for, all that remains is biweekly gemshop pushing.

in PvP

Posted by: ensoriki.5789

ensoriki.5789

S/P and S/D (well not as much since April patch) feel the most….assassin like?
Both sets are strong but S/D has higher general purpose. Fs becoming a chain skill reduced the opportunity cost to be effective drastically as I see it when your follow up can be used whenever you want in 5s for the unblock able harass.

The great forum duppy.

in PvP

Posted by: Arganthium.5638

Arganthium.5638

Really? I’ve written pages simply to give people advice on how to play against S/D S/D, my longest writeup being in an thread titled something like “Good S/D is not 3 Spam” a while back, over in the thief forums. I’ve written crazy amounts of material on the topic.

Honestly, if you or anybody else is worried about Jumper’s S/D S/D build being OP, or any other S/D build, just go to that thread. Granted, that doesn’t mean that S/D is inviable; there are always ways to patch up weaknesses in S/D. However, doing so often leaves other weaknesses in other places. The point is- the build isn’t perfect. In fact, I’d be willing to say that no build is perfect, or even has weaknesses that are difficult to spot.

Do your research, kids. And don’t forget to cite your sources. c:

Thief|Mesmer|
Theorycrafter

in PvP

hooma.9642

Really? I’ve written pages simply to give people advice on how to play against S/D S/D, my longest writeup being in an thread titled something like “Good S/D is not 3 Spam” a while back, over in the thief forums. I’ve written crazy amounts of material on the topic.

Honestly, if you or anybody else is worried about Jumper’s S/D S/D build being OP, or any other S/D build, just go to that thread. Granted, that doesn’t mean that S/D is inviable; there are always ways to patch up weaknesses in S/D. However, doing so often leaves other weaknesses in other places. The point is- the build isn’t perfect. In fact, I’d be willing to say that no build is perfect, or even has weaknesses that are difficult to spot.

nobody says its nr 3 spam. its evade spam throught different sources. nr3, heal and dodge.. and maybe that long cooldown stunbreakerthing that refills iniative.

if it isnt a problem and has weakspots, why u cant tell them in 2 maybe 3 sentences? its not possible mmh thats a indicator that the build is borderline or more.

in PvP

Posted by: Romek.4201

Romek.4201

Pure Faceroll

played it now abit for farming champion title and dont need rly read all this spells
this class/build is so braindead you can go sticky on everything and smash buttons and kill most time something

you dont even need positioning just beam in spam 3 and dodges when no initiative – foe dead

my main is engi and playing s/d thief now feels like playing engi with no utility spells/kits

this class need redesign and just more on everything – and first should be Damage “OR” Eveade – not both.
Something like a battlestance or evadestance and when on evadestance your #3 make no dmg but evades and on battlestance it make dmg but dont evade

in PvP

Posted by: Arganthium.5638

Arganthium.5638

nobody says its nr 3 spam. its evade spam throught different sources. nr3, heal and dodge.. and maybe that long cooldown stunbreakerthing that refills iniative.

if it isnt a problem and has weakspots, why u cant tell them in 2 maybe 3 sentences? its not possible mmh thats a indicator that the build is borderline or more.

Lucky for you, the thread covered all of those different things that you said as well.

Also, explaining why the build isn’t a problem isn’t something you can just do in 2-3 sentences. Anyhow, I’m not sure by what objective standard I should have to be able to describe the situation in such a small margin. It’s like saying that, if you can’t describe the economic problems of communist empires in 2-3 sentences, then those problems must not exist (or vice-versa, whatever you want to believe). It’s simply impossible to do- at least, to somebody that doesn’t have sufficient background knowledge to understand the situation, which, of course, would make the whole process of explanation pointless in the first place.

Thief|Mesmer|
Theorycrafter