Opinion on ~3v3?

Opinion on ~3v3?

in PvP

Posted by: Phadde.7362

Phadde.7362

Q:

As stated in the “Collaborative Development Topic- Game Modes” -thread, you would rather not interrupt the communities flow of ideas, so I though I would ask you here instead (assuming that you might reply)

I think 5 is the biggest team size we’d want for organized play, and we could try smaller teams, but due to multiple reasons, teams greater than 5 would probably be too large for GW2.

What is your opinion on a 2v2, 3v3 (etc.) Arena-style game mode? The combat-design in GW2 seems perfect for this, and some fair dueling is basically all that I personally miss from sPvP (without having the opponent either flee or have one side outnumbered)

(Two small teams fights to the death on a fairly small arena, about a few times bigger than the Graveyard node on LotF, possibly with a few obstacles or maybe some platforms or a bridge.)

Edit: Needless to say, Grouch’s answer is just as sufficient.

Vote for/against <dueling>: http://strawpoll.me/1650018/
Cred to Latinkuro
Gw2 is a masterpiece at it’s foundation. Content-wise however…

(edited by Phadde.7362)

Opinion on ~3v3?

in PvP

Posted by: Josh Davis.6015

Josh Davis.6015

A:

Arena is definitely something that gets brought up quite often in the office. I watched the FML 2v2 Tournament this weekend and it was a heck of a lot of fun. Some of the most exciting fights in conquest is when you’re doing small skirmishes on side points and the tournament on Saturday emulated those situations extremely well.

The good news is that players can create psuedo-2v2/3v3 Custom Arenas already, and there’s already a few rooms setup like that. I’d like to see more 2v2 type tournaments with prizes pop up in the future, and I’ve had a few people approach me saying they’d be interesting in organizing something like that.

Opinion on ~3v3?

in PvP

Posted by: Scarlett.1549

Scarlett.1549

I’m all for this, I won’t be up there in the top 200, but I’d play these game modes religiously. I have friends waiting for 2v2 and 3v3 to release before they come back to play and I’m sure it will garner a load of attention since it is more smaller scaled, and easier to organise teams for.

Just so long as you cannot use instant rez’s it should be okay. Or give the option to every profession.

Opinion on ~3v3?

in PvP

Phadde.7362

I’m all for this, I won’t be up there in the top 200, but I’d play these game modes religiously. I have friends waiting for 2v2 and 3v3 to release before they come back to play and I’m sure it will garner a load of attention since it is more smaller scaled, and easier to organise teams for.

Just so long as you cannot use instant rez’s it should be okay. Or give the option to every profession.

It feels like something that a lot of people would enjoy a lot!

About “instant rez’s”… The idea is that once you die, you’re dead, which would probably encourage a ton of team-support. Unless you mean like “Toss Elixir R” which I find like an exciting utility here!

Cred to Latinkuro

Opinion on ~3v3?

in PvP

Posted by: Romek.4201

Romek.4201

he will not answer this cause he dont like pvp/fighting ppl – hes all bout objectives and stuff

Opinion on ~3v3?

in PvP

Phadde.7362

he will not answer this cause he dont like pvp/fighting ppl – hes all bout objectives and stuff

I don’t think that’s all true, I just think that they’re really, really careful about what game modes to add and the quality of them. This could absolutely be a thing if they manages to figure out how to fit it in sPvP =)

Cred to Latinkuro

Opinion on ~3v3?

in PvP

Posted by: Scarlett.1549

Scarlett.1549

Doesn’t take 1 year+ to plan though.. come on.

Opinion on ~3v3?

in PvP

Posted by: Wintel.4873

Wintel.4873

Seems like a nice idea as an optional mode.
But I personally wouldn’t play it because it puts far too much focus/importance on individual performance, resulting in people using only their most powerful 1v1 builds.

Matches will often boil down to which class/build counters the other class/build….I mean what happens when you run into a guardian super-bunker, how are you supposed to capture the point on your own if he gets there first? The better ones can tank 2 people at once for extended periods of time.
Also if you end up with even 1 newbie (or inexperienced player) on your team then you’re in trouble, that’s 33% of your team.

5v5 is a good balance between individual player skill and having the leeway to carry newbies or use sub-optimal/support-based builds.

(edited by Wintel.4873)

Opinion on ~3v3?

in PvP

Romek.4201

he wrote 3v3 arenastyle so i think deathmatch like wow arena – than your so called super bunker guardian would not be viable cause your team would play 2v3 – enemy team will ignore the bunker and destroy him later 3v1

Opinion on ~3v3?

in PvP

Posted by: NevirSayDie.6235

NevirSayDie.6235

The FML 2v2 tourney is a good place to look at what a mode like this would entail.

It was a great tourney, but the huge emphasis on downed state control (read: nature spirit) in a mode like that would be a turnoff to a lot of people. Each fight would also be defined in a very large part by elite skills. There’s no reason to save them in a deathmatch so you may as well pop everything right off the bat.

I think 3v3 deathmatch could be fantastic in this game—however, I also understand why it’s not an official mode yet. As much as people think they dislike it, conquest allows for way more build/comp/role variety than a 3v3 deathmatch.

Opinion on ~3v3?

in PvP

Posted by: a t s e.9614

a t s e.9614

I would like to see 3v3 but they need to make smaller maps . Because quite frankly I don’t like the idea of holding a poi.t . It’s time for survival mode when you die you can’t respawn .

Opinion on ~3v3?

in PvP

Posted by: ronpierce.2760

ronpierce.2760

I think 2v2 should hit before 3v3. (Just to be honest) It’s easier to organize, fights don’t last forever, pretty decent balance right off the bat for what we’ve seen. Its just good fun. Adding 1 more tends to start to feel like a party, and it’s not as easy to personally organize (especially if its only limited to quing as a team if/when they do add it). Point in case; the 3v3 tourney had to be cancelled due to lack of signups. 2v2 felt very “right” for this game, and the rezzing vs stomping ratio/difficulty felt very right.

High Warlord Sikari (80 Reaper) / Lord Siekron (80 DH)
Warlord Sikari (80 Scrapper)

Opinion on ~3v3?

in PvP

Phadde.7362

~

Great to hear! It means a lot, really =)

Cred to Latinkuro

Opinion on ~3v3?

in PvP

Posted by: Jamais vu.5284

Jamais vu.5284

The good news is that players can create psuedo-2v2/3v3 Custom Arenas already, and there’s already a few rooms setup like that. I’d like to see more 2v2 type tournaments with prizes pop up in the future, and I’ve had a few people approach me saying they’d be interesting in organizing something like that.

Well it’s possible for players to create their own 2v2/3v3 tournaments, that’s true, but you can’t have proper (i.e. randomized) matchmaking with a custom arena.

Opinion on ~3v3?

in PvP

Posted by: MarkPhilips.5169

MarkPhilips.5169

Arena is definitely something that gets brought up quite often in the office. I watched the FML 2v2 Tournament this weekend and it was a heck of a lot of fun. Some of the most exciting fights in conquest is when you’re doing small skirmishes on side points and the tournament on Saturday emulated those situations extremely well.

I think a good step to start is to improve options in custom arena.

.Like disable capture points
.Use portions of the map (example center of foefire)

and other stuff

I think DM 2vs2 and 3vs2 is really good in this game.

Opinion on ~3v3?

in PvP

Posted by: robocafaz.9017

robocafaz.9017

Small team skirmishes are a lot of fun. I’d love to see them officially supported.

Deany Kong – #magswag
Head Deany Kong of Deany and the Kongs [Kong]
http://www.youtube.com/user/RoboCafaz

Opinion on ~3v3?

in PvP

Posted by: Sol.4310

Sol.4310

If they did release a 3v3 DM game mode here is list of MUST DO.

- Team Ladder (Seasoned with playoff).
- New map to go with the game mode.
- Matchmaking.

Having them 3 options would make it perfect. Everyone would play it, SPvP would grow rather rabidly.

Saizo Sol – Ranger
Twitch – Aussie Streamer

Opinion on ~3v3?

in PvP

Romek.4201

no Team ladder dont work or should be an extra
cause it suck to be locked in your team and cant play with others
personal mmr and ranking

but this sounds more like an exact wow copy^^

i would more love to see something like it is in WvW
1 week to play for points in a ladder and at weekend you get your position like gold silver bronce medal for top 100 and whatever rewards

and this sums up to an average ranking week per week + some statistics like personal top rank, how often, archievements, weeks played ….. things like this

and this mode should be open for solo players and teams

edit: and this weekly games should be from monday – saturday and on sunday should be special tournamet for best 10?

this would bring alot viewers cause all who palyed matches in this week would watch it – even the casuals

(edited by Romek.4201)

Opinion on ~3v3?

in PvP

a t s e.9614

It should be randomized , same team is beyond boring . Gw1 random 4v4. Arena was friggin awesome!

Opinion on ~3v3?

in PvP

Posted by: Eurantien.4632

Eurantien.4632

Personally, I LOVE small engagements. Back when Defektive was playing we would win EVERY 2 v 2 because we practiced them with our team between queues all the time. It got to the point where we just would hardly talk to each other and just knew what the other guy would do. A lot of clutch play can happen in 2 v 2 but I think 3 v 3 adds just enough players that you can’t realistically watch everyone but you still kind of can.

Opinion on ~3v3?

in PvP

Sol.4310

Have good think about 3v3 game mode, you want it to be team based. If you find teaming with your friends boring then that’s a personal problem. I do not want a game mode like Solo Que again, the QQ on forums as it is should be prove why its extremely bad idea to do it again.

I would rather team with friends then team with some random’s that abuse each other and 90% of the games are unbalanced.

I want SPvP to grow not die even more, they need to hold there players not cater for the casual player who comes and goes at random.

Saizo Sol – Ranger
Twitch – Aussie Streamer

Opinion on ~3v3?

in PvP

Posted by: Writetyper.1985

Writetyper.1985

I would play a 2v2 arena ALL DAY. Not even joking.

It would make my Christmas if anet were to add it as a proper mode.

Mortryde/Cold/Thugmentalist Bara
really bad engineer

Opinion on ~3v3?

in PvP

ronpierce.2760

Yes, 2s. Me and Fallou T are ready for more Petting Zoo domination! >:O

Opinion on ~3v3?

in PvP

Sol.4310

I think if they did make new mode like 2v2 3v3 maybe make it so you can solo que or team que. Keeps everyone happy, and it lets you team with your mates.

Saizo Sol – Ranger
Twitch – Aussie Streamer

Opinion on ~3v3?

in PvP

a t s e.9614

Who said soloQ is for casuals and teamQ is for hardcore? It dosent even makes any sense . If you always olay with the same team you won’t progress because you already know your own team . In GW1 , there was plenty of people doing the random 4v4 survival match . And if you like teamQ so much , you could simly say an option to group with friends . They could add both for the 3v3s.

Opinion on ~3v3?

in PvP

Sol.4310

Who said soloQ is for casuals and teamQ is for hardcore? It dosent even makes any sense . If you always olay with the same team you won’t progress because you already know your own team . In GW1 , there was plenty of people doing the random 4v4 survival match . And if you like teamQ so much , you could simly say an option to group with friends . They could add both for the 3v3s.

Doesn’t matter if your with mates or randoms you will still progress, you need to do your research a little better, solo que was made for the casual player base, players got sick of going solo into team que and getting destroy by a premade and that party due to conquest requires logic.

The hole idea I was trying to get at is merge them into one. So 3v3 you can take premade or solo into the que. Stop making garbage up in your head, really get sick of posts that flood the forums and crush all the good information. This is GW2 a completely different game with hole different style of combat. They had good modes in GW1 but it worked with the game style, half them modes wouldn’t stand a chance in GW2 due to how the combat works.

Saizo Sol – Ranger
Twitch – Aussie Streamer

Opinion on ~3v3?

in PvP

a t s e.9614

Said the “hardcore” spirit ranger . The irony

Opinion on ~3v3?

in PvP

ronpierce.2760

Don’t shame people for builds. People play what they enjoy. It doesn’t make your point any more correct.

Opinion on ~3v3?

in PvP

Posted by: NevirSayDie.6235

NevirSayDie.6235

Solo queues are pretty casual right now but with real matchmaking incoming on the 12th (probably) I think it may get more hardcore. There have been games where random vs. random has been very competitive; however, I think the nature of constant communication with five teammates you’ve spent a lot of time practicing with makes team queues always more hardcore than solos.

On the other hand, team queuing vs. random low-rank duo joiners isn’t exactly hardcore. So in a sense, teamqueue in off hours is often pretty much casual.

That got off topic quickly though… I think 2v2/3v3 would need separate solo/group queues like the current 5v5. Or it could all be one queue, but everyone would know better than to join solo. It would be a good in-between: if you’re playing alone, solo queue conquest. If you’re playing with a friend, do 2v2 deathmatch. If you’re playing with your team, team queue conquest.

Opinion on ~3v3?

in PvP

Phadde.7362

Well it’s possible for players to create their own 2v2/3v3 tournaments, that’s true, but you can’t have proper (i.e. randomized) matchmaking with a custom arena.

I was about to add this in my comment, but you explained it so well!

+1

Cred to Latinkuro

Opinion on ~3v3?

in PvP

Posted by: Lian Olsam.9541

Lian Olsam.9541

I d like 2v2 as tournamen every day, not only on custom….

Opinion on ~3v3?

in PvP

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

Personally, I’d rather see an 8v8 with larger maps added, similar to what GW1 had. I think this allows more diversity to be put into maps with alternate objectives and encourages more roles for players.

Opinion on ~3v3?

in PvP

Posted by: dday.9532

dday.9532

\

except not really. we need a que for 2v2/3v3. in the custom areas, they fill up with about 15 or 20 people, and all of them click join team and the lucky 2 get to vs the winners of the last game. what that means is you have to watch over 5 or so games before you get in. who wants to do that. custom arenas do work for tournaments, but not for anything else

Opinion on ~3v3?

in PvP

Posted by: dimyzuka.7051

dimyzuka.7051

The 2v2 tournament the other day proved just how well gw2 combat mechanics go with small scale deathmatch. Even the controversial res system provided so many clutch plays and the commentators and spectators were able to notice all of it. Unlike in 5v5 where unfortunately the commentators really have no idea whats happening in the combat among the aoe particle effects and petting zoos, as well as missing half the fights because the camera is focused on somewhere else to begin with.

+1 for dueling in the mists.
+1 for 3v3 or 2v2 deathmatch

Opinion on ~3v3?

in PvP

ronpierce.2760

They were even able to follow every bit of what Fallou T and I were doing as Petting Zoo. Its a good thing, ANet!

Opinion on ~3v3?

in PvP

Phadde.7362

The 2v2 tournament the other day proved just how well gw2 combat mechanics go with small scale deathmatch. Even the controversial res system provided so many clutch plays and the commentators and spectators were able to notice all of it. Unlike in 5v5 where unfortunately the commentators really have no idea whats happening in the combat among the aoe particle effects and petting zoos, as well as missing half the fights because the camera is focused on somewhere else to begin with.

Kinda wished that the streamer kept spectating just one player, or at least rarely switched players to spectate; I found it much more difficult to follow what was going on when he did that…

Cred to Latinkuro

Opinion on ~3v3?

in PvP

Posted by: RaynStargaze.6510

RaynStargaze.6510

dm arena would be really nice 2v2 or 3v3

2v2 could work with elites

3v3 elite skills would need to be adjusted

only issue i can think of with arena style pvp

Opinion on ~3v3?

in PvP

Posted by: Tarishian.9768

Tarishian.9768

I would play a 2v2 arena ALL DAY. Not even joking.

It would make my Christmas if anet were to add it as a proper mode.

Even if everyone runs spirit ranger and MM necro?

<witty and somewhat pretentious attempt to appear intelligent>

Opinion on ~3v3?

in PvP

ronpierce.2760

Hey, don’t hate on Petting Zoo, we built a team with high synergy, don’t be mad. :P Tany and Caed’s healing spring short bow blast healing was pretty ridic too! All about team synergy my friend! It isn’t like we just let our pets win, if you watch we worked out butts off for those wins.