PSA: Courtyard Rule Changes

in PvP

Posted by: Justin ODell.9517

Justin ODell.9517

PvP Server Programmer

Next

As some of you may have found by now, we’re shifting the rules for Courtyard a bit in hopes it improves the playing experience.

We’ve changed respawn time to 5 seconds, and the total time limit to 8 minutes.

Please let me know if that makes the map more competitive.

Also, as a reminder, this map, along with Skyhammer and Spirit Watch, will not be available during the beta ladder in ranked arena. These maps will still be available in unranked arena.

Server Programmer (sPvP)
Isle of Janthir: Flux, Latch, Aegir

(edited by Justin ODell.9517)

in PvP

Posted by: dday.9532

dday.9532

How about no respawn?

in PvP

Posted by: Impact.2780

Impact.2780

Brilliant!

EU | Ímpáct / Impact Warlock / Impact Illusions
http://www.twitch.tv/impact2780

(edited by Impact.2780)

in PvP

Posted by: Zuldar.5093

Zuldar.5093

How about not having it at all in Arena?
With the map often being 500-0 or 0-500, the impact would be time gain only for everyone.

in PvP

Posted by: Saiyan.1704

Saiyan.1704

I like the map. It’s finally a TDM/new game type that’s a change of pace for everyone. It’s not even included in rank matches.
Some awesome changes guys!

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

in PvP

Posted by: Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

try

5 minutes
0 seconds respawn

and respawn away from battle.

for example, if blue team is camping red team spawn, red team members respawns in blue base instead.

i.e. you will respawn away from the battle.

in PvP

Posted by: mistsim.2748

mistsim.2748

hey Justin. what makes the map not competitive is that spawn camping is possible and rampant! have you thought about adding multiple spawn points to the map?

it’s a fun map if youre with a team. consider adding more DM maps.

in PvP

Posted by: Justin ODell.9517

Previous

Justin ODell.9517

PvP Server Programmer

hey Justin. what makes the map not competitive is that spawn camping is possible and rampant! have you thought about adding multiple spawn points to the map?

I joked with Hugh that we should put a big burning oil siege at the main exit.

We’re looking into serious ways to improve things, but it isn’t as high of a priority as the new game mode.

Server Programmer (sPvP)
Isle of Janthir: Flux, Latch, Aegir

in PvP

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

yup, multiple spawn points will help.

giving some kind of stealth / protection to respawned players may help as well perhaps.

in PvP

Posted by: mistsim.2748

mistsim.2748

We’re looking into serious ways to improve things, but it isn’t as high of a priority as the new game mode.

=O

in PvP

Posted by: Zoso.8279

Zoso.8279

lol Justin your going to spark hysteria my friend. Thanks for being so active on the forums! We all really appreciate it!

Necromancer Main

in PvP

Posted by: crunchyraisin.6054

crunchyraisin.6054

Remember fetid river from gw1? Had a great mechanic where a priest npc would res the whole team at the same time unless the enemy made a push to kill it.

The team that lost the first team fight was not immediately out of it. It allowed for some great comebacks.

(edited by crunchyraisin.6054)

in PvP

Posted by: Ekelon.7041

Ekelon.7041

It’s going to be a lot harder in balancing both conquest and death match. Good luck if y’all decide to add it permanently.

in PvP

Posted by: Arewn.2368

Arewn.2368

I personally don’t like courtyard. I feel DM has its place as a quick and dirty team-fight pick-up match type game mode, but it being mixed in with the other maps is getting increasingly annoying.
While I appreciate and think the current “vote on the map you want from this pool of 3” system is great, I unavoidably end up on court yard occasionally and can’t help but feel like I’m wasting my time on it (do to my personal dislike of it).
While trying to make it more competitive is great (though I’m doubtful 5v5 deathmatch with no objectives of any sort will grow to be any kind of interesting), it is a different game mode and pooling it in with the conquest maps puts players in an awkward position.
Is there any chance it can be moved to its own separate queue, for those who actually want to play this(DM) game mode? Or could we at least get a way to “downvote” maps? Because when I see courtyard, it’s immediately the case that I will automatically prefer the other two maps, regardless of what they are. In such a case, being able to use my vote on reducing a map would be much more effective.

Also, having 2 exits from your base would be great. The spawn camping can be really painful.

in PvP

Posted by: Kicast.1459

Kicast.1459

Just put 5 canons at spawn to avoid camping (with limited range)

in PvP

Posted by: Dondarrion.2748

Dondarrion.2748

Can you make this map available for guilds to challenge each other?

Lord Sazed / Hasla the Huntress / Seaguard Hala
Seamarshal Belit / Initiate Xun Tsu / Mistwarden Roshone
Seafarer’s Rest | Northerner @ Dragon Season

in PvP

Kicast.1459

Or make it successive real deatmatchs…no respawn as long as one guy still lives in each team…once a team is defeated…respawn all with 50 pts to victorious team…repeat.

This would work if you finally accept to nerf spammy perma stealth (which is mandatory in tdm … so if you want it competitive…you will have to do it in the end)

in PvP

Posted by: Static.2853

Static.2853

[…] but it isn’t as high of a priority as the new game mode.

There is a new game mode ?!

in PvP

Posted by: runeblade.7514

runeblade.7514

Which can also lead to spawn hugging.

Which happens right now. Most of my Courtyard matches wins are because of it. We wait for the enemy to come in and destroy them.

Anyways Spawn camping has never been a problem. The lack of knowing how to avoid spawn camping is. To avoid spawn camping, use another entrance.

5x Warrior, 5x Ranger, 4x Elementalist, 4x Engineer,
4x Necromancer, 3x Mesmer, 4x Guardian, 4x Thief, 4 Revenant

in PvP

Kicast.1459

[…] but it isn’t as high of a priority as the new game mode.

There is a new game mode ?!

yes …coming soon…let’s cross fingers ;-)

Seriously it has been for more than 1 year that new mode is coming…you’d better not count too much on it and play with what you have now.

Promises only hold those who believe in them.

in PvP

Posted by: TainoFuerte.8136

TainoFuerte.8136

What I want to know is why TDM is in the same queue as Conquest.

in PvP

Posted by: Morwath.9817

Morwath.9817

What I want to know is why TDM is in the same queue as Conquest.

I agree, remove Conquest from que.

in PvP

Posted by: Prysin.8542

Prysin.8542

How about adding portals that dump you in random locations on the map. Inconvenient for the ones seeking to stick toghether, but it would eliminate the ability to spawn camp

Lv 80 Guard, Ranger, Ele, Thief, warr, engi
Currently @ some T1 server in EU

in PvP

Posted by: Antara.3189

Antara.3189

As some of you may have found by now, we’re shifting the rules for Courtyard a bit in hopes it improves the playing experience.

We’ve changed respawn time to 5 seconds, and the total time limit to 8 minutes.

Please let me know if that makes the map more competitive.

Also, as a reminder, this map, along with Skyhammer and Spirit Watch, will not be available during the beta ladder in ranked arena. These maps will still be available in unranked arena.

With a five second re-spawn, I believe this will only increase the gap between the two teams, especially amongst the solo-que players.

If there are five seconds between each re-spawn and the opposing team kills each player within 10 second intervals, the team will now be spread thin and the opposing team will now have 5 vs. 1 or 2.

Currently if the team dies >10 apart they will be able to regroup quickly, though it hasn’t historically improved the odds the team making a comeback.

I believe the 5 second re-spawn should only be in place if the 8 minutes is not a true value since the outcome of a match on Courtyard is generally determined fairly quickly.

Without proper synergy and team composition on this map, it’s quickly lopsided.

in PvP

Posted by: Erwin.5603

Erwin.5603

Justin, if you want to improve Courtyard you will have to change Stealth.

The best strategy is to stealth, and restealth till your opponents arent stealthed anymore and just instantkill 1-2 ppl. With just 1 pistol offhand thief its possible to restealth infinitely with almost any setup (5ppl running together have enough blasts).
If both Teams use this optimal strategy the game would end 0-0 90% of the time.
It isn’t/wasn’t happening right now, because noone plays this map seriously enough, it’s either pugs without coordination or just4fun zerging with groups, but since you used the word “competitively” I just wanted to let you know of this.

I suggest either permanent revealed on everyone, revealed even if you don’t hit anything while stealthed, or something similar. Each option obviously has downsides like indirectly nerfing thief and those changes would need to be exclusive to the Courtyard map.

Apart from that you’ll probably want to force regroups with pug groups, aka turn deathmatch into no respawn and then multiple rounds and a Best Of X System including a change to deal with e.g. a s/d thief running around, delaying the match end after his teammates died (something like a shorter round timer as soon as its 3v2 or 3v1 and auto win for the team with more people at the end of the timer).

Furthermore I don’t think this whole thing works with 5v5, because the whole downstate mechanic becomes obsolet with 5 ppl cleaving. If possible a 3v3 Queue would probably be best, together with the other changes.

I’m available for follow up questions.

Fixi

(edited by Erwin.5603)

in PvP

Posted by: Zanthrax.6538

Zanthrax.6538

Personally I’d rather deathmatch be a 5v5 perma death with 5 minute max time. It would be quick matches and a great test ground for actually implementing arena style game mode in the future, should it be a success ( Yes I’m well aware conquest would remain the competitive gamemode for balancing purposes etc )

in PvP

Posted by: Jim Hunter.6821

Jim Hunter.6821

Best map yet. I hope you have more deathmatch maps coming soon.

Also known as Puck when my account isn’t suspended
LGN

in PvP

Posted by: Sublimatio.6981

Sublimatio.6981

I’d rather have it as GW2 Random Arenas, really. You die – You won’t ress until somebody uses a ressing skill.

in PvP

Posted by: GhOst.4019

GhOst.4019

MUCH better. Thanks. I didn’t have to sit in the base long my last couple matches but does it still kick you out after so many seconds? If so I still suggest it only Kick, once all 5 members are in spawn for 10 (15) seconds. If they are letting 2 people bleed out the rest of us want to wait for them to die and re spawn. Instead, 3 of us get kicked out and slaughtered.

#1 Player Granada
#1 Player Comoros

in PvP

Posted by: GOSU.9574

GOSU.9574

I’d rather have it as GW2 Random Arenas, really. You die – You won’t ress until somebody uses a ressing skill.

I think you mean GW1?

I rather liked GW1 RA. However this game doesn’t have res signets and the hard resses are rather limited (Banner, Elixir, etc.).

Anyways if you remove respawns you will just end up with everyone playing a bunker build for this map.

Hey dude you are walking into a wall.

smack..Wut?…smack…smack…

in PvP

Posted by: Morwath.9817

Morwath.9817

I think you mean GW1?

I rather liked GW1 RA. However this game doesn’t have res signets and the hard resses are rather limited (Banner, Elixir, etc.).

Anyways if you remove respawns you will just end up with everyone playing a bunker build for this map.

I don’t think adding Res Signets for ‘old new’ game mode would be much effort for Anet

in PvP

Posted by: Flumek.9043

Flumek.9043

You guys should really consider making each kill worth 100 points and finding a way to ensure everyone gets points for participation.

Otherwise, these changes might be okay. But it kind of encourages the worst aspect of the map, which is respawn zergs.

Exactly.

The 100pt aka 5x kills for win is just match length.

But the total snowballing unbalance, to the point that almost always a whole team goes home empty handed – again whole team with zerooo – is just wow. It definetly needs something that encourages breaking away from zerg

PvP guild [YUM] -apply- (EU) http://muffinspvp.shivtr.com/

in PvP

Posted by: GOSU.9574

GOSU.9574

I think you mean GW1?

I don’t think adding Res Signets for ‘old new’ game mode would be much effort for Anet

Then I would have to reqeust Monks return. Don’t see that happening either.

Hey dude you are walking into a wall.

smack..Wut?…smack…smack…

in PvP

Posted by: Zietlogik.6208

Zietlogik.6208

@Justin

Is it possible to make the spawn areas neutral after match start?

• When a player dies they spawn at the base farthest from where they died
  • The “nudge” effect stays in place to remove players from spawn areas
  • Players can fight in the spawn areas, but will be nudged out, possibly with a buff that reduces damage players deal while in that area by 50%

-or-

Add 2-3 additional neutral spawn areas (north and south 1-2 split) splitting respawning players into areas that flank the location they died.

Zietlogik [Warrior] Chronologix [Ranger] Ziet The Dreaded [Necromancer] Zietlogic [Revenant]

in PvP

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

@Justin

Is it possible to make the spawn areas neutral after match start?

• When a player dies they spawn at the base farthest from where they died
  • The “nudge” effect stays in place to remove players from spawn areas
  • Players can fight in the spawn areas, but will be nudged out, possibly with a buff that reduces damage players deal while in that area by 50%

-or-

Add 2-3 additional neutral spawn areas (north and south 1-2 split) splitting respawning players into areas that flank the location they died.

having 2 fixed spawning locations will only work in annihilation mode, just like in guild wars 1 random arenas and team arenas. because the killed players do not respawn.

for team death match modes where the dead respawns, the spawn points needs to be away from the current battle.

just like in chivalry team death match, the players always respawn away from the battle. well, another reason is that the maps in chivalry are quite huge and players do not have various speed boosters and gap closers.

in PvP

Posted by: tsubus.8761

tsubus.8761

how about a totally separate queue for courtyard?

Radese Tagal [PUSH] on Aurora Glade

in PvP

Posted by: butch.8136

butch.8136

how about a totally separate queue for courtyard?

They are careful with separating queues, as it creates population issues. Even LoL doesn’t flood the game with gamemodes, instead they enable them temporarily.
But indeed, the situation with CY is suboptimal. Build templates might help solve the issue a bit, because you can change your builds quickly.

Razor xxxx (Desolation ; Off)
Bring back: ‘Gamer’ title + MAT’s!
Throw out: Hotjoin!

in PvP

Posted by: MarkusParkus.8467

MarkusParkus.8467

Am I the only one that misses courtyard and sky hammer on ranked?!
Also thanks Justin for being so active on the forums!

Furious Scumbag, Raging Scumbag & Geologist Greywind
[NOX] & [Coma] – Gunnar’s Hold.