PSA: Matchmaking Changes

in PvP

Posted by: Justin ODell.9517

Justin ODell.9517

PvP Server Programmer

Next

The back-end servers have been updated in preparation for tomorrow’s build. This means we get all the matchmaking fixes early!

I’ll update the wiki page with the details shortly, but the tl;dr of it is this.

We are now targeting a 2 minute queue time average, with an 8 minute maximum. Queue times will vary around those numbers based on population, but please let me know if you are stuck in the queue for longer than 8 minutes.

Please let me know if you notice any changes in quality (good or bad).

Server Programmer (sPvP)
Isle of Janthir: Flux, Latch, Aegir

in PvP

Posted by: Chase.8415

Chase.8415

Please aim for 5 minter average, I much rather wait for more even matches.

in PvP

Posted by: Laserbolt.6731

Laserbolt.6731

This is good news. Thanks.

Scrapper: “Frank from Research”

in PvP

Posted by: Saiyan.1704

Saiyan.1704

I prefer quicker queue times actually. In which case, if there isn’t a match it (should?) take longer for even matches.

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

in PvP

Posted by: avan.2803

avan.2803

i understand not wanting long queues but this is really ruining pvp experience. i dont know who likes playing games to lose? i surely do not. getting matched with someone twice my skill and getting stomped on a regular basis because it’s ok to lose if my points go up is NOT fun. getting stomped repeatedly is NOT fun. i dont know how else to word this. and its is truly disappointing as i was just beginning to like pvp for once. sad…

in PvP

Posted by: uberkingkong.8041

uberkingkong.8041

I like shorter que’s because you cant really do anything in hotm anyways.
There should be a playerbase rating system added tho. Like if the entire losing team knows they lost because of that one or two players on the enemy team, they should be able to flag them or give them stars like 5 stars, indicating don’t put me against that player because I’m a 2 star playing and shouldn’t be facing any 5 star players.

Be a good way to show skill level too by having the community rank players based off there skills.

Obviously if you have someone hating on you and give you 1 star and your good… Guess what your going to be owning newbs and if they know any better they’d give you 5 stars so you stop owning them and go back facing good players. Each person should only be able influence your rating once and they should be able to change it too. Playerbase rating should be some portion of the MMR decision. Good way to promote PvP too, especially if you let PvE and WvW’ers see your rating.

You know how PvE you get a star by your name for world completion?
How about some type of skill indicator by the community on your name tag as well?
How about for WvW a skill indicator by the community on your name tag as well?

Obviously if you got all 3 you a master of GW2, if they do something like this and this would be something people would strive for. Because PvP’ers that PvE star does have some meaning to them so obviously if you have other things like a 5 star PvP indicator on your name tag PvE and WvW’ers will get jealous and play PvP.

Be cool to see who rated you as well. Like if a good player rates you good than it’ll make you feel good inside, or if they rate you bad it means you got to try harder. Creates rivalries.

(edited by uberkingkong.8041)

in PvP

Previous

Justin ODell.9517

PvP Server Programmer

Next

There should be a playerbase rating system added tho. Like if the entire losing team knows they lost because of that one or two players on the enemy team, they should be able to flag them or give them stars like 5 stars, indicating don’t put me against that player because I’m a 2 star playing and shouldn’t be facing any 5 star players.

This might be a very interesting metric for us (ArenaNet) to have. Maybe correlate perceptions with other pieces of data. I can’t imagine ever sharing that information in-game.

Something like “Community Awards” at the end of a season might be interesting though, assuming it wasn’t being gamed.

I’d rather see it be a generic vote, something like “How would you rate the other players on your team?”. We could still tease individual ratings out of that, without worrying about individual bias against particular players.

Server Programmer (sPvP)

in PvP

Laserbolt.6731

“don’t put me against that player because I’m a 2 star playing and shouldn’t be facing any 5 star players”

Well, yeah, but strict matchmaking does that already. Right?

in PvP

Previous

Justin ODell.9517

PvP Server Programmer

“don’t put me against that player because I’m a 2 star playing and shouldn’t be facing any 5 star players”

Well, yeah, but strict matchmaking does that already. Right?

If the star rating implied skill, matchmaking should already be doing that through MMR. Could probably correlate star rating to MMR, either validating it or pointing out issues. Could also be matched with professions to see which need looking at.

Like I said, would be a very interesting metric for us.

Server Programmer (sPvP)

in PvP

Posted by: Aereniel.7356

Aereniel.7356

Like I said, would be a very interesting metric for us.

PvP games in the past have used a voting system similar to this. Sure, it can be gamed to a certain degree, but given a big enough sample size it can be taken as an indicator of perceived performance, or at least name recognition. I like the idea and it would be cool to see it implemented, just as long as the attached reward is not disproportionate. A title would be sweet. Still, on the list of priorities I would much rather have build templates than this.

Been here since launch
Legend S1-S3 with 100% solo queue 100% conquest
Filthy casual, 6k sPvP games

in PvP

Posted by: Skady.5916

Skady.5916

Negative awards? No thank you! If you dont like other player for whatever reason you should not be able to affect his gaming experience and his matchmaking – this is the road to grieving.

But MVP system would be nice!

A man of knowledge lives by acting, not by thinking about acting.
-Carlos Castaneda
Skady Valda

in PvP

Posted by: MarkPhilips.5169

MarkPhilips.5169

Negative awards? No thank you! If you dont like other player for whatever reason you should not be able to affect his gaming experience and his matchmaking – this is the road to grieving.

But MVP system would be nice!

Completely agree.

+1 for MvP system too (=i really liked how a my team mate/enemy played)

in PvP

Laserbolt.6731

Yes, it would be nice to be recognized by teammates for a job well done.

in PvP

Posted by: brannigan.9831

brannigan.9831

I think its questionable that longer queue will improve the quality of matches in any meaningful way because you can’t be matched with what is not there.

in PvP

Laserbolt.6731

I think its questionable that longer queue will improve the quality of matches in any meaningful way because you can’t be matched with what is not there.

Yes, true. But lets just say that 2 or 3 minutes is better than 21 seconds and a blowout.

in PvP

Posted by: Silence Re.8729

Silence Re.8729

“leave queue” still not work,.. it gonna search match anyway

in PvP

Posted by: Reiven.2543

Reiven.2543

New matchmaking seems pretty good. I played some matches with some friends and we won and lost at a near equal amount. All of them were all quite close games regardless of win or lose which was very enjoyable.

Interestingly, all the matches i lost were in unranked queue, while all the matches i won were in ranked queue O.o (was alternating arenas due to queue times)

Fort Aspenwood GW1 Bittervet….
Reiven Kloak-Warrior / Pizza Pirate-Engineer
Charr Grilled Fish-Ranger

in PvP

Posted by: lindstroem.3601

lindstroem.3601

This matchmaking system is a absolute joke, at least for soloqers. On the old leaderboards, it was no problem getting into soloq top50. Now iam sitting on 0 points with 3 wins, 11 losses. Every loss was more or less a blowout. And the best thing is, that ill still getting matched with other soloqers against premades from TCG and other top teams after a queue time of only 1 minute even though my MMR should be kittened up completely after my last games.
Seems its the right time to quit this joke of a pvp system.

(edited by lindstroem.3601)

in PvP

Posted by: SobeSoul.6910

SobeSoul.6910

I broke the top twenty five solo q’ing. Have a very nice win/loss ratio.

Your mmr was too good coming in to the new system. #get-rekt (j/k)

in PvP

Posted by: uberkingkong.8041

uberkingkong.8041

This might be a very interesting metric for us (ArenaNet) to have. Maybe correlate perceptions with other pieces of data. I can’t imagine ever sharing that information in-game.

Something like “Community Awards” at the end of a season might be interesting though, assuming it wasn’t being gamed.

I’d rather see it be a generic vote, something like “How would you rate the other players on your team?”. We could still tease individual ratings out of that, without worrying about individual bias against particular players.

You guys should implement a star rating, should be a community rating, you shouldn’t be forced to rate someone but if someone thinks your too good and shouldn’t be playing against them then you give them high rating so the game acknowledges that your good and the community agrees. Also vice versa if your playing with a bunch of 4 or 5 star players and they think your the reason why the game wasn’t any good, they’d give you a 1 star or 2 stars to get you out of there games.

So if I played a game, my team sucked I give them 1 stars because they all sucked, and some engineer wrecked them 1v3 1v2, I’d give that engineer 4 or 5 stars indicating my team sucked but that engineer was really good so don’t put me with those teammates because I’m a 3 star and they 1 stars but I shouldn’t be playing with that engineer because hes good.

You should be able to change your rating of someone as well, maybe one day they bad, but another game you seen them improve so, you change there star rating from 1 star to 3 star.

Not that the game will make it so you don’t play with those people period because theres a limit amount of people, but it would help with matchmaking.

Also would give the community something to do, and have a unique style leaderboard, like a community style which is how many times you been rated and where your at in rating.

Perhaps add some space for people to comment on you as well.

I think you should be able to see who rated you too because its nice to see that good players are rating you good, or if they rate you bad it gives you incentive to get better and get them to change there rating/thought of you.

Maybe have two ratings, skill rating and person rating, as in hes a good player, but he’s really bossy in games and doesn’t listen. So 4 stars in skill 1 star in person.

(edited by uberkingkong.8041)