PSA: Off-season Ladder Starts Saturday

in PvP

Posted by: Justin ODell.9517

Justin ODell.9517

PvP Server Programmer

Next

We will be putting the ranked arena into off-season ladder configuration on Saturday at 1am PST. All ladder aggregates (points, wins, losses) will be reset, and the leaderboard cleared, shortly before the ladder begins. This will not reset your account aggregates.

There are no rule or scoring changes, but we may make changes at some point.

Also, effective immediately, the disconnect grace period has been increased from 30 seconds to one minute.

Server Programmer (sPvP)
Isle of Janthir: Flux, Latch, Aegir

(edited by Justin ODell.9517)

in PvP

Posted by: Solstice.1097

Solstice.1097

And no penalty for profession swapping either? (assuming it doesn’t take you more than 1 minute to log back in) ?

Also, is the 1 minute cumulative or consecutive? Example someone swaps toons and it takes them 35 seconds, then they swap in match again later and it takes them 35 seconds. Deserter?

in PvP

Posted by: klarkc.3754

klarkc.3754

The LB will be reseted?

in PvP

Previous

Justin ODell.9517

PvP Server Programmer

Next

And no penalty for profession swapping either? (assuming it doesn’t take you more than 1 minute to log back in) ?

Profession swapping is allowed, with no penalties. This isn’t a policy change, we just don’t feel we can enforce it at a quality level we are comfortable right now. No ETA on its return.

Also, is the 1 minute cumulative or consecutive? Example someone swaps toons and it takes them 35 seconds, then they swap in match again later and it takes them 35 seconds. Deserter?

Cumulative. One disconnect for 1 minute is treated the same as 3 disconnects that are 20 seconds long.

Server Programmer (sPvP)

in PvP

Previous

Justin ODell.9517

PvP Server Programmer

Next

The LB will be reseted?

Yes. I will add that to the post.

Server Programmer (sPvP)

in PvP

Solstice.1097

And to clarify, the grace period starts from loading into the map, correct? The ‘waiting for players’ segment is not exempt?

in PvP

Previous

Justin ODell.9517

PvP Server Programmer

Next

And to clarify, the grace period starts from loading into the map, correct? The ‘waiting for players’ segment is not exempt?

The time it takes you to connect the first time will not be included in the cumulative disconnection time. However, if you haven’t connected to the game at all within 1 minute grace period you will be marked as a deserter.

If you disconnect at any point, include the “waiting for players” segment, it will be included in the cumulative disconnection time.

Server Programmer (sPvP)

(edited by Justin ODell.9517)

in PvP

Posted by: Lordrosicky.5813

Lordrosicky.5813

Justin for president

Character: Henry rank million/Duke Henry
Necromancer/Casual Warrior
[Team] Best WvW guild of all time. EASILY.

in PvP

Solstice.1097

So it sounds like you can only swap classes with no penalty if you do it before you go into the match, which means you can’t see comps yet. After you load the match and see “oh we have 2 other bunker guardians, great I need to swap” then that swap will count towards your 1 minute deserter.

Which will rarely matter I suppose. Only in a situation where you swapped and then had a short DC later that combined put you over the 1 minute…

in PvP

Posted by: Archaon.9524

Archaon.9524

Profession swapping is allowed, with no penalties. This isn’t a policy change, we just don’t feel we can enforce it at a quality level we are comfortable right now. No ETA on its return.

Cumulative. One disconnect for 1 minute is treated the same as 3 disconnects that are 20 seconds long.

aka go double ssd raid0 enjoy your char swap

Ark 2nd Account

in PvP

Posted by: Amstel Steel.2058

Amstel Steel.2058

The one clear advantage gw2 has over gw1 is character swapping. If only gw1 RA allowed me to swap in or out of my healer it would have been the best qol upgrade ever. As a rough idea, to generate topic discussion, what would be the benefits and disadvantages of queuing directly from the character select screen for the people who just want to play to their teams disadvantages?

Edit: ah ha I just remembered profession mmr so add that to the disadvantages. Probably a scrap idea at that point. Hope if I play thief there isn’t 2 others on my team.

(edited by Amstel Steel.2058)

in PvP

Posted by: Microsoft Xp.9438

Microsoft Xp.9438

For the professions swapping does the 1 min timer count for the time allotted before the match? Some of us are still running old O.S. =D and it takes a lil longer then a min to swap but typically I can be in at match start or slightly before.

in PvP

Previous

Justin ODell.9517

PvP Server Programmer

Next

For the professions swapping does the 1 min timer count for the time allotted before the match? Some of us are still running old O.S. =D and it takes a lil longer then a min to swap but typically I can be in at match start or slightly before.

Honestly, the back-end server that powers matchmaking also tracks disconnect time but is ignorant about the game’s actual state. It doesn’t know when the game goes from that ready-pending state to actually playing. We could add that, or we could have it implied through other data sent from the game server to the back-end, so I guess it doesn’t really matter.

I’ll run it by the team about not counting disconnection time until the game starts.

Server Programmer (sPvP)

in PvP

Solstice.1097

Honestly, the back-end server that powers matchmaking also tracks disconnect time but is ignorant about the game’s actual state. It doesn’t know when the game goes from that ready-pending state to actually playing. We could add that, or we could have it implied through other data sent from the game server to the back-end, so I guess it doesn’t really matter.

I’ll run it by the team about not counting disconnection time until the game starts.

One argument to be used when bringing it up is that I know several players who play one class, but have multiple toons for that class, because each one is preset with a different build. The argument I would personally position in this scenario is we need either:

A) build templates/saved presets
or desertion timer does not count until 10 seconds before match begins.

(edited by Solstice.1097)

in PvP

Posted by: Silence Re.8729

Silence Re.8729

may be wrong topic but: is it true that if some1 of 5 player team dc more than for 1 minute(restart client, exc) he would be claimed dishonor and each player of team gonna take penalty, so every1 need to know what net connection have other players, so if u lose u take not only lost game of your partner – you got full penalty on lb, even u win 4 vs 5 u take it anyway(it is rlly seems like joke), just example after some patch on ESL (i think it was MiM vs TCG) all players got lags, include streamers, 3 full dc from players, and what would be in situation like this?
p.s. sorry for bad english

in PvP

Posted by: style.6173

style.6173

Nicely done. I am glad to see that there will be a reset for the offseason.

in PvP

Posted by: robertul.3679

robertul.3679

Will the stupid maps(skyham,spirit,courtyard) still be unranked only?

in PvP

Posted by: brannigan.9831

brannigan.9831

We will be putting the ranked arena into off-season ladder configuration on Saturday at 1am PST. All ladder aggregates (points, wins, losses) will be reset, and the leaderboard cleared, shortly before the ladder begins. This will not reset your account aggregates.

There are no rule or scoring changes, but we may make changes at some point.

Also, effective immediately, the disconnect grace period has been increased from 30 seconds to one minute.

Surely you will be making changes to the rules and scoring at some point if you don’t want this to continue to be a bad joke. You can’t have people having to play 800 ranked matches in a month just to be able to have a decent chance of getting in the top 20-50 of the leaderboard. I don’t consider myself more then an average player that tries to play the right way but I got high enough on the leaderboard to consistently get a lot of matches with some of the clown shoes that grinded there way to the top 100 by playing an over-whelming amount of games and they were some of the worst players I have ever been forced to play with quite a few of them.

in PvP

Previous

Justin ODell.9517

PvP Server Programmer

Next

Surely you will be making changes to the rules and scoring at some point if you don’t want this to continue to be a bad joke. You can’t have people having to play 800 ranked matches in a month just to be able to have a decent chance of getting in the top 20-50 of the leaderboard. I don’t consider myself more then an average player that tries to play the right way but I got high enough on the leaderboard to consistently get a lot of matches with some of the clown shoes that grinded there way to the top 100 by playing an over-whelming amount of games and they were some of the worst players I have ever been forced to play with quite a few of them.

Yes, it is very likely we will be making changes and running another test season.

I’m busy crunching numbers right now and writing a ladder simulator so we can see what the results would have been with different rules. We won’t be making any changes until this is done and the team has time to go over possibilities.

I have no timetable for you.

Server Programmer (sPvP)

in PvP

Posted by: Laserbolt.6731

Laserbolt.6731

Yes, it is very likely we will be making changes and running another test season.

I’m busy crunching numbers right now and writing a ladder simulator so we can see what the results would have been with different rules.

That is SO cool. Great job.

Scrapper: “Frank from Research”

(edited by Laserbolt.6731)

in PvP

Posted by: tichorum.2415

tichorum.2415

So we had a test season. Now we’re having an “off-season”. What exactly is the difference?

Former PvP commentator for ESL & Arenanet.

I used to run the Academy Gaming tournaments for GW2.

in PvP

Solstice.1097

So we had a test season. Now we’re having an “off-season”. What exactly is the difference?

the test season had rewards. the off-season is just a leaderboard for our own enjoyment (those of us who care).

at least that’s my take

in PvP

Previous

Justin ODell.9517

PvP Server Programmer

Next

the test season had rewards. the off-season is just a leaderboard for our own enjoyment (those of us who care).

at least that’s my take

Basically this. After we look at the data we may change some things, without notice, just to watch how the resulting data changes.

Server Programmer (sPvP)

in PvP

Posted by: Flumek.9043

Flumek.9043

If you can talk about it, do you think the point scoring system itself is flawed, that it produces mostly + points , or that it was more the matchmakings fault, facing premades against pugs?

PvP guild [YUM] -apply- (EU) http://muffinspvp.shivtr.com/

in PvP

Previous

Justin ODell.9517

PvP Server Programmer

Next

Sorry for the delayed start. I had technical problems last night and couldn’t do the work as scheduled.

Both leaderboards have been cleared and new data should begin being submitted in less than 4 minutes at 2:30 PM PST.

Server Programmer (sPvP)

in PvP

Posted by: uFail.1587

uFail.1587

Well, shouldnt it be the other way round?
Like first having a non rewarding test season, to check out if things are goin like they should and if its based on a fine-working system and THEN going to start with a serious season havin’ smexy rewards? Just wondering tbh

in PvP

Solstice.1097

Like first having a non rewarding test season, to check out if things are goin like they should and if its based on a fine-working system and THEN going to start with a serious season havin’ smexy rewards? Just wondering tbh

wat? this is off season. it basically is the test season you speak of. there are no rewards and justin is working on changes that can be implemented at any time as well as doing calculations of how those changes would have played out.

in PvP

Posted by: insanemaniac.2456

insanemaniac.2456

no, you haf to offer rewords for the test season cuz udderwize ppl no tryhard

bad data

JQ: Rikkity
head here to discuss wvw without fear of infractions

in PvP

Previous

Justin ODell.9517

PvP Server Programmer

no, you haf to offer rewords for the test season cuz udderwize ppl no tryhard

bad data

We aren’t doing anything with the data collected during the off-season, other than to maybe short-term spot checking of changes we may include in the next test season.

Server Programmer (sPvP)

in PvP

Posted by: Slyfer.6478

Slyfer.6478

Hoping to see changes in scoring. Having a turret engineer be nr. 1 on LB just because of the sheer amount of games he played does in no way make the PvP seem competitive, if anything it has been encouraging unranked games.

in PvP

Posted by: uberkingkong.8041

uberkingkong.8041

I actually like how they reset the leaderboard, I get a feeling they will do it more often now too. Because it shows you whose actively playing and not, some dude that won 3000+ games months ago as the most active player but they retired.

Also, OFF season ladder?
What are they waiting for, another season to happen?
GW2 is doing it wrong, they should have a season that promotes PvP, nothing but PvP updates, gets those PvE’ers and WvW’ers to do PvP because its all PvP hype, than do WvW season and get people to do WvW, than do PvE season.

Why you do all 3 PvP, WvW, PvE at same time? Some of us don’t have plenty of hours to do all that kitten at once. Space it kittening out and make it feel like something is always going on.

More productive and better quality too if people focus on one theme rather than WvW PvE and PvP at the same time.

Also, when do actual seasons start? For PvP and WvW? The marketing team should have a schedule calendar shown to community. Like predict season 3 starts on such and such day, can be scheduled to change. I missed season 1 and 2 because, AINT GOT NO CLUE when they were going on.

Like I tell everyone, if I aint got a clue, than nobody got clue.
Your marketing efforts failed, because I wanted to be apart of those seasons.

you need to serious add a short, straight to the point announcement type thing on the top of the forums, and in game a, “WHAT THE kitten IS GOING ON OR COMING” type tab in the game, calendar of events too.

I really feel that I try hard to know whats going on, but most of time I have no clue what’s happening.

Having some silly announcement show once and then disappear, nah, those are normally too long to catch my attention, and I got straight to the forums.

Need to do some research on how to get peoples attention, probably get more people involved in your tournaments and such if you’d get there attention and make it known to them something is going on.

(edited by uberkingkong.8041)

in PvP

Posted by: Pinkunicorn of Dethecus.3217

Pinkunicorn of Dethecus.3217

Justin, you guys have to do something about team comps. This is ridiculous.

http://i.imgur.com/r6egfoQ.jpg