PVP is too unresponsive

PVP is too unresponsive

in PvP

Posted by: Lighthammer.3280

Lighthammer.3280

Tighten that kitten up.

For some reason it laggs like hell in pvp, which makes it hard to play, and even harder to play good. In wvw it is not that big of a deal, but in pvp it makes a lot of problems.

Swapping weapons takes ages, and on top of that it has an aftercast that is even more annoying. It would be nice if whole time on weapon swap would be eliminated so combos could be more fluent.

Most skills have too long animations and aftercast that simply kills the play. Warrior is best example of it where every single skill he uses takes ages to connect, and once it does he has to wait for aftercast to go away before he can even move.

Some skills and their animation break/evade other skills even if they are not evade skills simply because character doesn’t rotate and follow target at all. Thief can evade attacks, and being stunned with shield bash simply because shield bash takes to long to connect and thief just gets away with regular skill even thou he didn’t dodge or used an evade skill.

Whole thing just feels like playing on drugs, its just too slow and kitten and it doesn’t do things I press keys to do.

PVP is too unresponsive

in PvP

Posted by: Neare.9703

Neare.9703

Invest in a better ISP?

PVP is too unresponsive

in PvP

Posted by: Resouled.5614

Resouled.5614

Do agree that there’s too much casting time. Just makes it feel slower and less responsive.

[vE] Visceral Effect – Blue

PVP is too unresponsive

in PvP

Posted by: Punkins.2087

Punkins.2087

Interestingly, I find GW2 combat to be tighter than other mmos. And I played em all..

Did you take a look at your net stats?

PVP is too unresponsive

in PvP

Posted by: Lighthammer.3280

Lighthammer.3280

Anyone played League of legends or any other moba game? Now that is tight pvp, when i press button kitten happens, and i know exactly what to expect from my actions.

Here it feels all random and sometimes it works sometimes it doesn’t.

And it has nothing to with ISP because every other game works perfectly.

PVP is too unresponsive

in PvP

Posted by: KrisHQ.4719

KrisHQ.4719

GW2’s pvp is imo very responsive, but a lot of skills have a unnecessary cast-time and aftercast which is probably why you feel it being clunky and unresponsive.

Lysis Kawahara – D/D Elementalist
Zaphiel Faires – DPS Guardian

PVP is too unresponsive

in PvP

Posted by: Demon.5082

Demon.5082

It is not his ISP. I constantly run ping tests when I experience this “unresponsiveness” and expect my ISP to be the cause but it never is.

As mentioned, the warrior (sadly) is the worst bearer of this burden. Weapon swap delays and bulls charge/savage leap delays are very darn frequent.

I also sometimes experience a skill “not being used”. The skill icon gets pushed (as if I was using the skill) but nothing more happens unless I press the skill again.

Weird I know, but it does happen sometimes :-(

Cevinian (elementalist), Gesmia Romirr (mesmer), Zerkarr (warrior) Devona’s Rest – US.
Breakdown of class roles in tpvp
Suggestions for improving/fixing elementalists

PVP is too unresponsive

in PvP

Posted by: Zenyoga.6910

Zenyoga.6910

It is not his ISP. I constantly run ping tests when I experience this “unresponsiveness” and expect my ISP to be the cause but it never is.

As mentioned, the warrior (sadly) is the worst bearer of this burden. Weapon swap delays and bulls charge/savage leap delays are very darn frequent.

I also sometimes experience a skill “not being used”. The skill icon gets pushed (as if I was using the skill) but nothing more happens unless I press the skill again.

Weird I know, but it does happen sometimes :-(

Skills not queing is the main reason I decided to invest time in this game. From what I could gather it has to do with server checking before a skill will be qued. So for example, you hit a key such as heal or weapon swap, and if there is a inability for your game to connect to the server in that split second ( lag, which happens in all games) the skill will not que. This is the worse choice they could of done, because in almost any other game I’ve played, if you hit a key to do something and say in that micro-second you lagged, it would just go off a micro second later, instead GW2 just doesn’t even trigger the skill period, which means, when your in the mid of a intense battle, and you click one skill and then another expecting them to go off “eventually” it just won’t, and you waste your time. The only way to play this way, is you have to look at all skills you’ve used, AFTER you use them to make sure they worked, and this is a waste of time.

PVP is too unresponsive

in PvP

Posted by: ronpierce.2760

ronpierce.2760

No he actually has a good point. Some skills with animation times and after cast just don’t allow for fluid game play. Some good examples are:
Corrupt boon (instant but still doesn’t trigger for about 1/4-1/2 sec later and it causes it to miss a lot.
Enfeebling blood and necro scepter 2, both are ground targeted small radius, they have a long cast time 1/2 – 3/4 sec and then an animation for about 1/2 sec. There’s just no way to reliably hit with that.
Warriors GS charge also has a strange thing about only “swinging” of its in a proper line up. I’ve seen it get to the enemy, them move, and the charge then continuing when it should have gone off ages ago and then ends up doing nothing. Plus the after cast on it is terrible for a gap closer.
Those are just off top of my head, but I know there are a lot more too that have a hard time. (Also look at any minion abilities for necro)

High Warlord Sikari (80 Reaper) / Lord Siekron (80 DH)
Warlord Sikari (80 Scrapper)

PVP is too unresponsive

in PvP

Posted by: Proven.2854

Proven.2854

A great example is also the Warrior’s Flurry and a number of other skills that cause Immobilize. A person can still dodge roll as it’s being applied.

Call me Smith.

PVP is too unresponsive

in PvP

Posted by: OGDeadHead.8326

OGDeadHead.8326

Skills not queing is the main reason I decided to invest time in this game. From what I could gather it has to do with server checking before a skill will be qued. So for example, you hit a key such as heal or weapon swap, and if there is a inability for your game to connect to the server in that split second ( lag, which happens in all games) the skill will not que. This is the worse choice they could of done, because in almost any other game I’ve played, if you hit a key to do something and say in that micro-second you lagged, it would just go off a micro second later, instead GW2 just doesn’t even trigger the skill period, which means, when your in the mid of a intense battle, and you click one skill and then another expecting them to go off “eventually” it just won’t, and you waste your time. The only way to play this way, is you have to look at all skills you’ve used, AFTER you use them to make sure they worked, and this is a waste of time.

+1 – This. So many times when u press a skill, like your heal or whatever, only to realize it didn’t go off. Who have the time to constantly monitor the skill bar, when full focus normally is on whatever happens on screen?

On many occasions, playing this game feels like walking through syrup – at times it’s simply so unresponsive you wanna hammer the keyboard to bits…

Win10 pro | Xeon 5650 @ 4 GHz | R9 280x toxic | 24 Gig Ram | Process Lasso user

PVP is too unresponsive

in PvP

Posted by: Harbinger.8637

Harbinger.8637

Guard and Warrior mace comes to mind. So slow, especially the third part of the auto chain. Yeah I understand it’s suppose to be powerful, but it takes way too long. Look at the GS auto chain. Nice, fluid, and fast.

Guardian WvW Guide!
Heavens Rage

PVP is too unresponsive

in PvP

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

Do agree that there’s too much casting time. Just makes it feel slower and less responsive.

Eh, what? Compared to any other MMO I played before, GW2 actually makes reactive play difficult as hell because there’s so little casting time and tells. There’s not even an enemy cast bar.

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

PVP is too unresponsive

in PvP

Posted by: Kharr.5746

Kharr.5746

I agree that PvP is way too unresponsive. Each skill (except shouts/stunbreakers/stances) has a cast-time, an animation, and an after-cast delay (animation time + after-cast delay are not listed on tool-tip). A lot of the skills with 1/2 to 3/4 cast times really take 1.5-2s to actually finish, making the entire thing feel clunky.

Part of the problem is that skills get queued and there’s no way to cancel your skill mid-cast without dodging/weapon swapping (doesn’t always work). Other mmos have more responsive skills and ways to cancel them mid cast (e.g. WoW had the /stopcasting command you could bind to a keypress)

PVP is too unresponsive

in PvP

Posted by: Pandabro.8743

Pandabro.8743

What is this “After-cast” everyone is referring to?

Also I agree, it’s very frustrating to hit a few skills in a row and then look down a few seconds later and realize that one of them didn’t even go off. When you are relying on key abilities to gain the upper hand and they don’t even execute properly it’s very frustrating.

PVP is too unresponsive

in PvP

Posted by: Kharr.5746

Kharr.5746

What is this “After-cast” everyone is referring to?

Also I agree, it’s very frustrating to hit a few skills in a row and then look down a few seconds later and realize that one of them didn’t even go off. When you are relying on key abilities to gain the upper hand and they don’t even execute properly it’s very frustrating.

I couldn’t find it on the gw2 wiki, so here it is from the gw1 wiki. http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Aftercast_delay

PVP is too unresponsive

in PvP

Posted by: Demon.5082

Demon.5082

Eh, what? Compared to any other MMO I played before, GW2 actually makes reactive play difficult as hell because there’s so little casting time and tells. There’s not even an enemy cast bar.

Reactive combat and Combat response are two different things my friend.

Reactive combat (combat pace/speed as its commonly called) is the time you get to react to situations like cast timers and animations. GW2 combat is fast paced so yes this is difficult (but not impossible when you get good at it)

Combat response or the response of skill usage is linked to queing of skills and as a post stated the chance of skills “not” getting used due to minor lag spikes (which has nothing to do with ISPs). This makes you feel “clunky” and “slow” in a “fast pace” combat system which just sucks kitten.

Another valid point mentioned here is the que system breaking every so often.
Example : My ele starts casting earthquake (0.75 sec cast, aoe knockdown) and gets dazed midcast, after my daze wears off I automatically cast EQ since it gets qued and even spamming escape (my cancel cast keybind) does not remove the que and behold… My character uses EQ in the middle of nowhere, wasting it.

Cevinian (elementalist), Gesmia Romirr (mesmer), Zerkarr (warrior) Devona’s Rest – US.
Breakdown of class roles in tpvp
Suggestions for improving/fixing elementalists

PVP is too unresponsive

in PvP

Posted by: Copenhagen.7015

Copenhagen.7015

I notice this with Thief and Warrior mostly. Thief game play is very fast paced, but sometimes the game cannot keep up with your actions. You end up missing a key stroke because of after cast, and it throws off your rhythm. Now play a Hammer Warrior, and you will see how the flaws in the fluidity of this game. It feels counter intuitive to have to slow down your reaction time in order to perform actions quickly.