Paid Tournament Queue Queue

in PvP

Posted by: Prince.3682

Prince.3682

QQ – Paid q’s are waaaay too long even during prime time.

Devs: is there any chance of a hotfix adjusting admission price until a long term solution is available? Winning a free tournament = 1 ticket and 1 ticket for admission, I feel that’s sufficient.

Now, I really do like the idea of people buying gems to spend them on tickets., that way anet has some financial incentive to keep development going for pvp… But I don’t think people are ever going to spend gems consistently on a fundamental game function. Its too recurring and if they don’t have tickets they are already demotivated from losing anyway.

in PvP

Posted by: Coopers.4376

Coopers.4376

I’ve got to agree. Currently even in prime time your forced to wait 15-20 minutes.

God help you if you try queuing at any other time, ie. 40+ minutes or no pops at all.

in PvP

Posted by: Jony.6815

Jony.6815

This is something you devs must fix soon. The few stable teams are being forced back to free tournaments due to the long q’s wait, therefore our progression is being shot down and the people in free tournaments are already complaining about the match-make system and the “hate” anet has about casual players.

i think this should be top priority for the gw2 PvP team. Keep the teams willing for the e-sport as much as you on your side. Regards.

Sadcleric(TNT)

in PvP

Posted by: offence.4726

offence.4726

Yes this is a big issue , fact is people are scared to sign for paid tournaments because they know they will face only the best teams ( hard to get into a decent pvp guild , grp these days) , the ticket price for entry is too big imho atm this is why ppl still avoid them. Que has gone up to 40 mins in the evening on EU kinda sad.

play hard , go pro.

in PvP

Posted by: Aragiel.6132

Aragiel.6132

Yesterday i meet Onibawan one of the best teams outthere in Free tournaments. They do it because paid tournaments simply do not pop at all.

There are two issues actually comming from one root cause.

Issues:
- teams are scary to loose, their tickets, their morale, their game.
- every paid tournament its generating negative billance in term of tickets. Therefore tickets needs to be donated from Free tournaments. Problem is, you need to spend 3-4 hours at least and win every single free tournament in order to get 5 tickets for your next paid tournament.

root cause:
- price and rewards not being balanced.

Possible solutions
1) decrease the entry free for paid tournaments. I Personally believe its bad idea. 5 tickets its fine.
2) Increase the rewards in free tournaments. Because the goal of free tournaments its that they should be free and PUG friendly. Any organized team even a bad one should be fighting in paid. That way PUG and groups are separated in different queues. So for example
Free tournaments rewards:
1st place = 3 tickets for each member of team
2st place = 2 tickets for each member of team
3-8 = 0 tickets.

With this – you need only 2 tournaments if you are worth it and you have your 5 tickets for paid tournament.

in PvP

Posted by: Shadow Dragon Ad.2409

Shadow Dragon Ad.2409

The main problem (as i see it) with the current paid tournament system is a lack of sustainability, if you come 5-8th you have to win 5 free tournaments to get back into doing paid tournaments, there is of course the chance you’ll get a tournament ticket from chests or craft one/buy with gems bu as a general rule it takes too many free tournaments to get back into paid tournaments.

There should of course be a limiing factor on who can actually get into a paid tournament so it doesn’t dilute the quality of the teams participating too much however right now there aren’t enough teams queueing which leads to the extended queue times.

What I would like to see is an increase in the rewards for winning a free tournament boosted to 2 tickets along with getting second place giving 1 ticket, so it would lok like this:

• 1st – 2 Tickets
  • 2nd – 1 Ticket
  • 3rd-8th – No Tickets

Following this I would like to see the rewards for the lower tiers of paid tournaments increased:

• 1st – 180 gems
  • 2nd – 120 gems
  • 3rd/4th – 5 Tickets
  • 5th-8th – 3 Tickets

This means that if you get to legacy you’re guaranteed to be able to enter the queue again, however you don’t get the freedom to use your rewards how you wish (as you do with gems). This also means that if you lose on forest it requires you to get 1st place in a free tournament once or second place 2 times.

I feel this is fair because if you are consistenly getting first place in a free tournament then you only have to do 1 free tournament to enter the paid tournaments again. It also rewards those that get to the final map with more than just a chest, this means that if pugs face an organised team on khylo they can start earning rewards towards getting into a 5 man team to do paids. This is all opinion ofc feel free to criticise it.

Shadowplasm – Thief
Daphne Laureola – Necromancer

in PvP

Posted by: PetricaKerempuh.7958

PetricaKerempuh.7958

The main problem (as i see it) with the current paid tournament system is a lack of sustainability, if you come 5-8th you have to win 5 free tournaments to get back into doing paid tournaments, there is of course the chance you’ll get a tournament ticket from chests or craft one/buy with gems bu as a general rule it takes too many free tournaments to get back into paid tournaments.

There should of course be a limiing factor on who can actually get into a paid tournament so it doesn’t dilute the quality of the teams participating too much however right now there aren’t enough teams queueing which leads to the extended queue times.

What I would like to see is an increase in the rewards for winning a free tournament boosted to 2 tickets along with getting second place giving 1 ticket, so it would lok like this:

• 1st – 2 Tickets
  • 2nd – 1 Ticket
  • 3rd-8th – No Tickets

Following this I would like to see the rewards for the lower tiers of paid tournaments increased:

• 1st – 180 gems
  • 2nd – 120 gems
  • 3rd/4th – 5 Tickets
  • 5th-8th – 3 Tickets

This means that if you get to legacy you’re guaranteed to be able to enter the queue again, however you don’t get the freedom to use your rewards how you wish (as you do with gems). This also means that if you lose on forest it requires you to get 1st place in a free tournament once or second place 2 times.

I feel this is fair because if you are consistenly getting first place in a free tournament then you only have to do 1 free tournament to enter the paid tournaments again. It also rewards those that get to the final map with more than just a chest, this means that if pugs face an organised team on khylo they can start earning rewards towards getting into a 5 man team to do paids. This is all opinion ofc feel free to criticise it.

this sounds well thought through

in PvP

Aragiel.6132

I dont agree with rewards for 5-8th place in paid.. if you dont pass first round constantly you should not be there. But in general as i said before.. increasing rewards (tickets) in free tournaments its the way to go i believe.

However i hope Anet will do any adjustment fast enough. I really dont want to wait till 15 Nov for next patch. Since we see even top teams now going back to free…i think just small hotfix should do the trick and we will be happy again.

in PvP

Posted by: PetricaKerempuh.7958

PetricaKerempuh.7958

whatever the case, maybe the biggest problem is what “paid” means. i dnt think we have the same definition as anet. for me paid means i use ingame currency (tickets) to get into tournament. for anet it means i buy gems with real money and then pay for tickets to enter tournament.

this is unfortunately the way they decided to earn money and the best evidence is the gem store.

question is: loose the profit (or possible profit) or let ppl enjoy the game? i think we all know the answer:)

hope im wrong

in PvP

Posted by: Hopeless.8195

Hopeless.8195

I think people are over estimating the amount of organized teams that are present in the game.

in PvP

Posted by: Daays.4317

Daays.4317

I dont agree with rewards for 5-8th place in paid.. if you dont pass first round constantly you should not be there. But in general as i said before.. increasing rewards (tickets) in free tournaments its the way to go i believe.

However i hope Anet will do any adjustment fast enough. I really dont want to wait till 15 Nov for next patch. Since we see even top teams now going back to free…i think just small hotfix should do the trick and we will be happy again.

Fixing Free tournies to award more tickets won’t fix paid queue times.

People will still be playing Free over Paid to get tickets.

But say only 24 teams playing paids. Enough for 3 tournies. If half of them don’t belong there because they can’t make it past the first round, then they will stop playing.

That leaves us with 12 teams. Now these teams may rotate, but since it requires 8, you only have enough for 1 tourny at a time. Another once the first round takes place if those losing teams instantly queue back up. If one of those teams is constantly losing, then they will eventually stop queueing.

This system eats away at the bottom, to the point that eventually there will only be 8 teams playing paid tournies. In which case, if they’re not all on, paid tournies won’t exist at all.

There is no interim transition for players to grow. There is no online ladder system for people. There are no private servers with a league setup by Anet to foster games (similar to that of CAL & CEVO).

Basically paid tournies were a terrible decision to make regarding competitive game play and do not even work with their goal of players buying tickets. I’ve only purchased tickets so far with gems I’ve won. And I know very few people who have actually spent money on gems to purchase tickets.

They could have made far more money by spending time of private servers, charging people for them, and creating an online league similar to CAL.

(edited by Daays.4317)

in PvP

Posted by: Shadow Dragon Ad.2409

Shadow Dragon Ad.2409

This is why you aren’t able to queue for them straight away again, it gets the teams who keep on losing are consistently removed from the queue however as the teams start getting more and more even then they can still sustainably play in paid.

Right now the problem as stated above is that teams could be very close in skill however if they get 5-8th they need to get another 5 tickets until eventually you can only sustain 4 teams in paid which isn’t enough for a queue to pop

Shadowplasm – Thief
Daphne Laureola – Necromancer

in PvP

Posted by: Jacobin.8509

Jacobin.8509

Excellent post Daays, my thoughts exactly.

There is pretty much zero incentive for people to try to start a new team because they will just be steamrolled by the 5 or so teams that have put in hundreds of hours which means they lose all their tickets, or motivation to play because they can’t improve without paying a steep price.

Honestly, what newer tpvp player is going to spend money on gems just to get farmed by the power-gamers? That’s like asking low elo players in LOL to pay with time / money for the privilege of losing to higher rated players.

Then we are just back to the mess that is free tournaments where its premades vs randoms which is pointless and has little lasting value.

If private servers come out there is a small chance competitive GW2 could grow, but for now the system is just hollowing itself out from the inside. Any competitive system that isn’t constantly bringing in new people will slowly die out —> case in point = GW1.

At least GW1 was competitive for several years. TPvP is showing very concerning signs of decline after a few weeks.

(edited by Jacobin.8509)

in PvP

Aragiel.6132

Well, whatever Anet will do, i hope they do it fast.

I really canĀ“t stand in mist and wait for the tournament to POP ! i want to play.

in PvP

Posted by: DragonM.2170

DragonM.2170

Its all about $$ whana play paids go buy tickets from cash shop for what you think they do it a 1 ticket for free tournament win and – 5 for lose ?

in PvP

Posted by: Migo.2154

Migo.2154

honestly, a ladder will solved all the problem and it wont took anet long time to implement. Even only two teams are playing, they can still fight eath other in the ladder. The reason they won do it, I think, mainly b/c they want some extra money for paid. This is reasonable. But the currently sPvP environment is broken and people are leaving pvp in gw2. what they can do is implement a ladder for causal player and rented servers (cost gem maybe) for pros and big guilds.

in PvP

Posted by: Plushanubka.7280

Plushanubka.7280

Ladder will not solve anything becouse number of teams playing paids is extemely low.

And Anet, why game support cant do anything with missed rewards for paids? I’ve lost my tickets and didn’t get anything becouse of gamebug, and support says they can do nothing with it.

(edited by Plushanubka.7280)

in PvP

Posted by: ShRNA.4376

ShRNA.4376

Ladder will not solve anything becouse number of teams playing paids is extemely low.

And Anet, why game support cant do anything with missed rewards for paids? I’ve lost my tickets and didn’t get anything becouse of gamebug, and support says they can do nothing with it.

Ladder will not solve anything because the whole idea of PAY to join a pvp game is just not appealing to the vast majority of people.
If GW2 tPvP ever wants to be a popular eSport, they need to make ladder games without requiring ppl to PAY. And then invite the top 100 ranked teams for Tournament at the end of every season.

in PvP

Posted by: Jacobin.8509

Jacobin.8509

^ Exactly.

A ladder means nothing if nobody is playing. SWTOR is a prime example – rated pvp was added like 5 months after launch but by that time competitive pvp was on life support.

These days most games only have a month or 2 to hook people in, otherwise they will all leave for the next big thing. I am very worried that GW2 has already passed this point.

in PvP

Posted by: kagemitsu.3657

kagemitsu.3657

Remove the tickets thing and add a ladder, then divide the tournaments in:

- Ranked Game
- Free Game

So good teams will finally stop pubstomping and will gtfo into the Ranked Games while leaving us casuals, or people who need to learn the game, play with like minded people.

(class stronger than mine) is OP. (my class) is underpowered. (classes I beat easily) are fine.

in PvP

Posted by: Sprawl.3891

Sprawl.3891

Ladder will not solve anything because the whole idea of PAY to join a pvp game is just not appealing to the vast majority of people.
If GW2 tPvP ever wants to be a popular eSport, they need to make ladder games without requiring ppl to PAY. And then invite the top 100 ranked teams for Tournament at the end of every season.

at least a ladder will make free tournaments fun. I don’t really know anyone, aside from the masochists who enjoy 8v8, who is enjoying pvp at the moment. With most free tourney matches being premade vs pug, nobody on either side is having fun.

I think if they add a ladder to free tournament and/or split premade and pug queues AND add small amount of xp for s/t pvp, we would really see an influx in pvp populations.

Sprawl – Necro – Eredon Terrace

in PvP

Posted by: Mammoth.1975

Mammoth.1975

Something people probably overlook is that paid tournaments have to be a ticket sink to counter the ticket influx from free. If it was a zero sum or positive game, there would be no point to playing free. If you can queue with 39 friends and come out ahead, you can bet people would be doing exactly that.

If you’re not playing to win, don’t complain when you lose.

(edited by Mammoth.1975)

in PvP

Posted by: Project Shrine Maiden.9623

Project Shrine Maiden.9623

Something people probably overlook is that paid tournaments have to be a ticket sink to counter the ticket influx from free. If it was a zero sum or positive game, there would be no point to playing free. If you can queue with 39 friends and come out ahead, you can bet people would be doing exactly that.

unless the rewards system is fundamentally flawed. which is what some people are arguing. using a “rare” resource to pay to play as opposed to just playing. wtb a ladder. change to ranked games and free games. tourny tickets are used to access a high end tournament that happens every month (or week, but lower ticket req then). 50 tickets per team to enter. big rewards, but nothing for the losers. can only get tickets from playing ranked games.

Team Shanghai Alice

in PvP

Posted by: merry.3247

merry.3247

no one wants to play that kitteny bunker mode, no wonder why paid tournament are empty.