Paid Tournaments are Live

in PvP

Posted by: JonPeters.5630

JonPeters.5630

Game Design Lead

We have pressed the magic button and paid tournaments should be live within 5 minutes. Thank you all for your patience and enjoy.

Jon

in PvP

Posted by: Trickyg.8752

Trickyg.8752

Wooooooo! Party time!

in PvP

Posted by: EvilDoll.3846

EvilDoll.3846

this is for US timezone only?

in PvP

Posted by: Mog.1589

Mog.1589

Awesome thanks! Guildies will be happy tonight.

[LGN] Legion For We Are Many – a Blackgate guild

in PvP

Posted by: Rectifyer.1804

Rectifyer.1804

Time to start training for real!

in PvP

Posted by: Gliese.4317

Gliese.4317

What about custom games/arenas for practicing or training purposes any word on when that will be available?

Gliese – Mesmer
Team Focus [ADHD]

in PvP

Posted by: riverrunsred.3140

riverrunsred.3140

what is a paid tournament? I mean real money or game money, like gold?

in PvP

Posted by: Soylent.4197

Soylent.4197

@riverrunsred.3140

Paid tournaments need tournament tickets to take part in. You either buy them in the gem store or sometimes get them from a reward box.

in PvP

Posted by: Crapgame.6519

Crapgame.6519

@ Soylent.4197
I hate to ask this but per your answer above why would anyone want to buy them or such via ingame gold, real money, or gems (or any combination thereof)?

I mean – what does the paid torunament(s) do for players vs. that of what is available now?

Sorry for a newb question. I’m new to the whole GW thing and having come from other MMO’s this is new. Even so far back as DaOC.

Thanks.

Main – Laaz Rocket – Guardian (Ehmry Bay)
Johnny Johnny – Ranger (Ehmry Bay)
Hárvey Wallbanger – Alt Warrior (Ehmry Bay)

in PvP

Posted by: TGSlasher.1458

TGSlasher.1458

@ Crapgame

Paid tourneys are the next lvl. sPvP is up to 8v8 pick up group. Free Tourney is 5v5 pug / organized and rewards a chest and glory for 1 win, if you win all 3 match ups then you get a ticket and some glory and a gold chest.

Paid tourneys come after that, they are all premade vs premade, no pugs and require tickets to enter. When you play Paid Tourneys you get qualifying points which advance your team / person and will be used in some way for monthly tournaments. Wining monthly tournaments will put you in the running for yearly tournaments and if you win the yearly tournament your name will go on the wall of victors (to the back and to the left of the spvp game browser if you are facing him).

Not sure if monthly and yearly tourneys are implemented yet though

Slasher Sladorian – Charr Warrior – [DECM] | Sea of Sorrows
Sophea Sladorian – Charr Ranger – [DECM] | Sea of Sorrows
Sophea Of Elements – Human Elementalist – [DECM] | Sea of Sorrows

in PvP

Crapgame.6519

Thanks TGSlasher. Appreciate the information.

I guess I’m not getting the bigger picture here then which is probably due to how other games of this type addressed this. To me, when I see gems or paid, I default to “real money” and that isn’t the case 100% of the time. That is, if this is paid for by gems for tickets or whatever.

I can see some initial rush for this but over time I think it will self weed out a group of people which only leaves the top competitive people. Depending on whatever rewards there are of course like win vs. loss vs. ticket or whatever entry things are called upon performing well.

I guess I would have rather liked a bigger picture or portal if you will related to player vs. player. That is composed of people who participate in WvWvW or other forms of PvP. Then break it down by name, class, weekly, monthly, guild, and other various stats. You could add weakest hit, highest hit, most wins, losses, win vs. loss, etc. Then roll up that data to servers and beyond and maybe then tie in to this wall of victors, etc.

For whatever reason I’m really making too much of this I think when I hear paid. Then again, I don’t really engage in the spvp stuff. It realy is only WvWvW for me.

Thank you again. I think this is one of those things that is my ignorance or how I’m used to and not A.nets

in PvP

Posted by: Rainfall.4017

Rainfall.4017

@Crapgame. It should be noted that winning a paid tournament or coming second i believe rewards you with gems as well as the other rewards so the ticket somewhat pay for themselves. Also tickets drop freely from even free tournament chests, i know this because i have some. So it’s easy to assume tickets will drop from paid chests too.

EDIT: Probably not relevant that they drop from chests due to chests being received on level up but still. You receive gems for winning so it may soften the blow.

Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken.

in PvP

Crapgame.6519

@Rainfall – thanks.

I’ll have to step out of the box a bit more and give it a try and see how it goes I guess. Just trying to imagine how a casual / hardcore casual player fits in Meaing I’m no pro by anymeans but then again I’m not terrible. Somewhere in the middle to lower side is all

in PvP

Posted by: TGSlasher.1458

TGSlasher.1458

You can also craft tourney tickets in the mystic forge at the mists. You can get a pvp salvage kit and get components from the items in the reward chests, chuck em in, in a combination that makes a ticket (not sure of the top of my head) and out pops a ticket. Paid tourney will reward everyone attending with a copper chest, or higher grade if you win battles. Getting to the final round rewards 180 gems on win and 120? on 2nd place.

At any rate, those in paid tourneys will be good teams and a higher lvl of pvp

I should also mention that they are called paid tourneys because they require an item to enter, you don’t need to pay real money unless you run out of tickets. But even then there are ways of getting them (first place in free tourney = 1 ticket + a chance to get more in the chest). Also each pvp lvl you achieve you earn a chest of that rank and I believe they have a chance for tickets as well. And finally, you can go to the glory vendors and buy the same reward chests for glory you have earned. And did I mention the rewards you don’t need can be broken down to make tickets?, same goes for these chests.

Slasher Sladorian – Charr Warrior – [DECM] | Sea of Sorrows
Sophea Sladorian – Charr Ranger – [DECM] | Sea of Sorrows
Sophea Of Elements – Human Elementalist – [DECM] | Sea of Sorrows

in PvP

Posted by: genowefapigwa.5769

genowefapigwa.5769

no balance, moa, animals in water ?
no thanx

Goraca Mariola
INC&Garaz Runkaraki
Ele from Piken Square

in PvP

Posted by: merry.3247

merry.3247

any other pvp modes planned soon? getting bored of those spvp maps and their objectives…

in PvP

Posted by: KaMiKaZe PiG.2590

KaMiKaZe PiG.2590

I’m sure that this is a nice addition and thanks, team, for working on it.

However, as mentioned above, it’s not a real substitute for a ladder/elo system with teams and whatnot, so let’s hope that comes out soon!

in PvP

Posted by: krojack.4920

krojack.4920

I’m curious what classes (er professions) people are seeing the most of in these?

80 Sylvari Ranger – Jade Quarry
» My current Guild Wars 2 game annoyances

in PvP

Posted by: Daays.4317

Daays.4317

Almost every game: Guardian/Thief/Mesmer/Engie/Ele

Less than average every game: War/Necro

Rarely: Ranger

in PvP

Posted by: miracle.4216

miracle.4216

any other pvp modes planned soon? getting bored of those spvp maps and their objectives…

This.

I don’t really care anymore for “sPvP”, or this game in general, until TDM or Capture the Leader objectives are implemented.

in PvP

Posted by: zolth.8160

zolth.8160

Paid tournaments prevent hardcore teams from facing casual or PU teams. Fine, they are alone in their world. But the casual teams still have to face the farming hardcore teams in free tournaments and they cannot learn and progress.

in PvP

Posted by: Aragiel.6132

Aragiel.6132

is there any change comming in the 15th patch ?

speaking about long queue times mainly…

in PvP

Posted by: Warmage Timeraider.5861

Warmage Timeraider.5861

Well, that was an disappointment, instead of paid tournaments with 30 minutes of Q.. free tournaments now have an 30 minutes Q and paid tournaments take 4 hours to start :S

Timeraider- 80 Norn Elementalist – 80 Norn Engineer
epic-timeraider.weebly.com

in PvP

Posted by: Aragiel.6132

Aragiel.6132

Well, that was an disappointment, instead of paid tournaments with 30 minutes of Q.. free tournaments now have an 30 minutes Q and paid tournaments take 4 hours to start :S

where do you live? free are still insta pop in Europe

in PvP

Posted by: glennyrd.1308

glennyrd.1308

Paid tournaments aren’t worth the 30+ minute wait. I’ll stick to free, and keep banking these lame tournament tickets.

in PvP

Posted by: EaGrimdarK.7849

EaGrimdarK.7849

How about revitalizing the paid tournament scene? Theres a lot of interest from the general spvp public now, less so from the hardcore pvp’ers, but something is halting all tpvp.

Its taking a lot longer to deliver spvp than it did to woo all of us into it with pretty promises. Guess its back to the waiting game.

If you are that upset at GW2 then you just look like an idiot for sticking around. -Bongwizard Slubs

in PvP

Posted by: papaganoosh.7908

papaganoosh.7908

Can we please lower the cost of a paid tournament to 3 tickets? Or something like that. For a more casual player who wants to test themselves at a higher level it is just NOT feasible to grind for four hours in order to play one TPvP game….

(and no I don’t want to buy them on the online shop)

Papaganoosh (SPvP Officer, The Unnamed EU)

http://www.the-unnamed.com/spvpapp – recruiting skilled players for TPvP