Parallel custom arena/flood of "Play now" ppl

in PvP

Posted by: Pilami.7123

Pilami.7123

Hey,

This has been happening in my arena since I bought it yesterday. Sometimes after the match ends, it kicks everyone to lobby for no reason, and when I rejoin the game there is already another match going on, often with teams having 300+ points and players who have been there for several minutes. How is it possible that my custom arena has 2 different matches simultaneously?

And another thing I’ve been wondering. Sometimes I want to play with my guild in my own arena, or just chill out with friends in peace. However, the game keeps constantly getting full of people who click “Play now” and it is impossible to do anything since they don’t read map chat or whispers. I’ve tried kicking people who don’t listen to me, but the game instantly fills up with more “Play now” people when someone goes out. Is this intended?

in PvP

Posted by: EverythingEnds.4261

EverythingEnds.4261

According to Anet, if all Hot Join Servers are full, new ones should be created, when sb uses “Join now”.. At least, I think, that’s what I read somewhere.
However, this doesn’t work (surprise!) and ppl get directed into Custom Arenas.

May I suggest you to use a password?
I think, disableing progress in your arena might (I’m not sure) prevent players to get there via “Join Now”

in PvP

Posted by: Justin ODell.9517

Justin ODell.9517

PvP Server Programmer

Next

It tries to use player run custom arenas by design. The hot-join arenas are just custom arenas that we run, and are not treated any differently.

If we can’t find a custom arena with available slots, we will spin up another one and start placing players there as well.

If you want to keep people out of your arena, password protect it. If you want to exclude it from play now, then disable progression. If you want progression, you have to accept other players coming in.

Server Programmer (sPvP)
Isle of Janthir: Flux, Latch, Aegir

in PvP

Posted by: Sulecen.4937

Sulecen.4937

Justin, there is the “issue” of our custom arenas having two instances sometimes, and it seems like a bug. Such as I’ve been skirmishing with my guild at times in my own arena and I’ve left to switch characters. When I come back in I’m on a totally different map then my guildies, such as when this happened a few days ago they were playing on Forest of Nifhel and I loaded into Battle of Khylo. The room was not full, and even when I left the room and attempted to “Join friend in PvP” it sent me right back to Khylo rather than Forest where everyone else was playing.

in PvP

Previous

Justin ODell.9517

PvP Server Programmer

Next

Justin, there is the “issue” of our custom arenas having two instances sometimes, and it seems like a bug. Such as I’ve been skirmishing with my guild at times in my own arena and I’ve left to switch characters. When I come back in I’m on a totally different map then my guildies, such as when this happened a few days ago they were playing on Forest of Nifhel and I loaded into Battle of Khylo. The room was not full, and even when I left the room and attempted to “Join friend in PvP” it sent me right back to Khylo rather than Forest where everyone else was playing.

Did this happen after a build?

Server Programmer (sPvP)

in PvP

EverythingEnds.4261

It tries to use player run custom arenas by design. The hot-join arenas are just custom arenas that we run, and are not treated any differently.

If we can’t find a custom arena with available slots, we will spin up another one and start placing players there as well.

If you want to keep people out of your arena, password protect it. If you want to exclude it from play now, then disable progression. If you want progression, you have to accept other players coming in.

But can’t you jast add some more “anet” custom arenas or maybe a “creat new default Hot Join Arena”-Button to the PvP browser.

What I also would rly like to know is:
If HotJoin Arenas basicly are Custom Arenas, doesn’t this mean, the only thing you had to create, when you introduced Custom Arenas was a more player-friendly Interface for creating your Custom Arena?
If that’s true, it took you pretty long to do so.

in PvP

Posted by: Sulecen.4937

Sulecen.4937

Yes this happened 2 days ago, so it was after the feature patch but in between hotfixes.

in PvP

Previous

Justin ODell.9517

PvP Server Programmer

Next

Yes this happened 2 days ago, so it was after the feature patch but in between hotfixes.

That sounds normal, your friends were in one instance that belongs to the old build, and you were put in a new instance for the new build. There is no way around that as builds may not be compatible with each other.

The only alternative would be to not create a new instance until the old one is closed. This would still mean people in the new build wouldn’t be able to play in the old one.

Server Programmer (sPvP)

(edited by Justin ODell.9517)

in PvP

Previous

Justin ODell.9517

PvP Server Programmer

Next

If HotJoin Arenas basicly are Custom Arenas, doesn’t this mean, the only thing you had to create, when you introduced Custom Arenas was a more player-friendly Interface for creating your Custom Arena?
If that’s true, it took you pretty long to do so.

No, the old “Play Now” functionality was replaced with new code that uses custom arenas.

Server Programmer (sPvP)

in PvP

EverythingEnds.4261

^
Ok, that was the other possibility.
But still, can you add some more Hot Join Servers plz?
I’m tired of having to play some awfull 10 vs 10 stuff, or get kicked because the owner of the CA has other plans.
I know there are the arenas, but somtimes, I just want to play some games of Hot Join.

in PvP

Posted by: Terrorsquad.2349

Terrorsquad.2349

With no “available slots” do you mean servers need to be 20/20? Who goes spectating a hotjoin match 5v5 with 10 ppl.. Or does it start another server when Anet’s custom arena’s are 10/20 full? because in theory, it’s full aswel because we can’t play..

Denied | 5.9k PvP Games | PvP Rank: 236 | 8.6k hours | 9 Legendaries | Still Bad.

in PvP

Previous

Justin ODell.9517

PvP Server Programmer

With no “available slots” do you mean servers need to be 20/20? Who goes spectating a hotjoin match 5v5 with 10 ppl.. Or does it start another server when Anet’s custom arena’s are 10/20 full? because in theory, it’s full aswel because we can’t play..

By “available slots”, I mean that if its a 5v5 and there are less than 10 players (including spectators) in the game.

I’m not 100% sure why they’re always full.

Some times when multiple players hit "play now " at nearly the same time they will get the same arena. This happens because we don’t increment the player count until a player actually joins.

It will also happen because people are just going to the arenas that have the most players. This could be fixed by showing spectator count separately, but we don’t currently have a reliable way to do that and it’s a lower priority.

Server Programmer (sPvP)

(edited by Justin ODell.9517)

in PvP

Posted by: Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

By “available slots”, I mean that if its a 5v5 and there are less than 10 players (including spectators) in the game.

Some times when multiple players hit "play now " at nearly the same time they will get the same arena. This happens because we don’t increment the player count until a player actually joins.

It will also happen because people are just going to the arenas that have the most players. This could be fixed by showing spectator count separately, but we don’t currently have a reliable way to do that and it’s a lower priority.

how about, you remove the “play now” button completely?
since it creates more problems than solves them.

let players use the game browser if they wish to play in custom arenas.

maybe i should start a new topic for that.

in PvP

Posted by: Sciva.4865

Sciva.4865

They’re always full because you capped it at 50 Anet servers. It isn’t fun at all constantly server hopping because you decided to pool the custom servers with your own. The only time I can get a game without trouble is during the early hours of the morning, but these games often end up one sided because of the lack of players.

Either I play during the early morning and slog out the bad matchups or play during the evening and spend most of my time server hopping through custom/full games till I get in. Both arn’t fun at all and I am not going to go into sPvP/tPvP and let my teamdown because I’m playing classes I’m not great at yet. (I’m rusty on my Guardian which I haven’t pvped on in awhile)

The problem is you created this awesome new reward system thats super popular right now but didn’t back it up by adding in a proper tutorial for the infulx of new players aswell as not adding in enough hotjoin servers. Great ideas, but terrible execution and foresight.

I love this game, I love the PvP but things like this are just super fustrating to see and deal with as a player.

in PvP

Posted by: Liewec.2896

Liewec.2896

it was so much better when there were 8v8 servers, you wouldn’t need to rely on play now sticking you where it wants to stick you (mostly skyhammer farms and 10v10 courtyard)

we could simply click the server we wanted and then play.

in PvP

Posted by: Sciva.4865

Sciva.4865

it was so much better when there were 8v8 servers, you wouldn’t need to rely on play now sticking you where it wants to stick you (mostly skyhammer farms and 10v10 courtyard)

we could simply click the server we wanted and then play.

Exactly, why break somthing that wasn’t broken in the first place.

in PvP

Posted by: kito.1827

kito.1827

how about, you remove the “play now” button completely?
since it creates more problems than solves them.

let players use the game browser if they wish to play in custom arenas.

maybe i should start a new topic for that.

NO! NO! NO!

don’t do that.
i am a full 100% user of the play now button. i love it.
i love it a little less since it puts me into custom arenas now, but that is my usual way to play. my interwebs is really bad right now so i won’t bother arenas.
hotjoin is the only way for me now. since the change into 5v5 only there are even some really good matches. except if it puts me into a custom arena, most of the time thats zergfest/farming/10v10/daily/crap/kitten.

play now is the way to casually pvp for me. if this button wasn’t there it would be too complicated to seek out for free spaces through all the custom arenas, so i would find me probably not pvping at all.

vote for consistency of ‘play now’!

Karl Otik
no gutz no glory
“Tranquility has a beard.”