Passive play and ai destroying the game.

in PvP

Posted by: Holler.7053

Holler.7053

I’m not one to generally make a thread, let alone one out of frustration, but I feel completely let down. I’ve played the game since beta, I enjoy playing all classes and roles in pvp, but due to real life priorities I’ve never been able to play very competitively so i stick to solo queue, this is where the problem starts, My favorite classes are ele(mainly s/d i fell in love the first time i saw phantaram play) and mesmer, I enjoy high risk high reward and truly feel that how every build that can put out significant damage should be but it isn’t. As it stands mesmer can be played well and ele is alright but constantly the builds that require less and less skill shine. MM necros, spirit rangers, warriors passive healing(yes i occasionally play warrior and in the screens I’m playing one gs/lb healing signet just because its the best heal in the game outside consume conditions). But I’m finding it harder and harder to be compelled to even log on between mm/ warrior stacked teams and people leaving before matches even start because of the enemy composition. I love this game and feel it has the most potential out of any I’ve ever played but it’s dying. All you have to do is look at the recent tournaments top teams being pugs, MLG will be hilarious when they say the teams been playing together since 2 pm yesterday. Anyways I’m frustrated and I’m sure many others are as well this is what the game is coming to…. edit removed final 3v5 picture realized i forgot to blur the other 2 names sorry.

Attachments:

(edited by Holler.7053)

in PvP

Posted by: PizzaSHARK.2741

PizzaSHARK.2741

I feel like the game needs a better, more detailed UI than anything else. I’m trying to get into PvP right now, and the biggest stumbling block for me is having to fight with the UI.

With the Necromancer example there – why do we need to see names and stuff for the pets without clicking on them? I’m new to PvP, but I haven’t run into a situation where I felt like I really needed to be able to pay close attention to enemy pets – more often, it’s the Ranger or Necromancer I’m after, not their pets.

And at any rate, if ArenaNet do want to curry favor with the whole “esports” thing, the best way of having a successful esports game is to make it as newbie-friendly as possible. League of Legends and Dota 2 would not be where they are now if they weren’t both very welcoming to new players.

I feel like GW2’s PvP is pretty close to being that kind of welcoming, but as a newcomer to PvP… the UI is just awful and really makes understanding what’s going on difficult.

in PvP

Holler.7053

The thing with those 2 mms is they don’t even really have to attack me if I’m playing ele or mesmer because the pets can kill me before I can make it through death shroud and their health bar. Ive literally had instances on mesmer where the necro auto attacks my clones maybe hit me a couple times with scepter(yes scepter on an mm build gg) and still was able to kill me. Making the game newb friendly doesn’t mean making it easier to play but so far that seems to be the path it’s been taken in.

in PvP

Posted by: Valentin.2073

Valentin.2073

warriors destroy the game. if anything that should be complained about there’s nothing but OP warriors. nobody likes them at all.

PVP Ranger: Prince Valentine, PVP Warrior: Prince of Hearts I, and PVP Mesmer: Prince Valentine I

in PvP

Posted by: Rednik.3809

Rednik.3809

warriors destroy the game. if anything that should be complained about there’s nothing but OP warriors. nobody likes them at all.

Thats why tPvP meta is all about warriors, 2+ warriors in team is absolutely required, right? True story, bro.

Kiijna, Xast, Satis Ironwail, Sekhaina, Shira Forgesparkle, Sfeno, Nasibi, Tegeira, Rhonwe…
25 charracters

in PvP

Posted by: Dee Jay.2460

Dee Jay.2460

Yeah, GW2 is by far the worst offender when it comes to visual clutter or visual “noise”.

Only GW2 gives you 2 enemies but 12 targets on your screen.

I’m sure this adds to skill-lag in WvW too as every minion is another viable target that needs to be calculated.

I’m sure GW2 would perform much better if Rangers, Necros…and to a lesser extent, Mesmers were more limited with the amount of AI they can spam.

Buff the minions, make their role more significant and meaningful, but reduce the total amount.

in PvP

Posted by: Zeon.8239

Zeon.8239

mms is they don’t even really have to attack me if I’m playing ele or mesmer because the pets can kill me before I can make it through death shroud and their health bar.

Making the game newb friendly doesn’t mean making it easier to play but so far that seems to be the path it’s been taken in.

^^^^^^

I don’t mind builds with AI, but currently they’re just too much. Too much in the sense that they do too much even without interaction from the player, and too much in the sense of visual clutter.

The prior is the more important problem, however. It’s extremely discouraging when you (as someone with a lot of hours invested into PvP and with a lot of experience) kill an minion necro or ranger who is fairly new to the game, and has almost no experience, and you find yourself nearly dead; not only because some builds are WAY too rewarding for the skill (or lack thereof; this doesn’t just apply to AI reliant builds) it takes to play them, but because while you were fighting you took 7-10k damage just from their pets autoattacking you.

AI either needs to be made more active with a reduction to passive benefits, or it needs to be nerfed to the point where it’s distinguishably subpar in comparison to non-AI builds, but still easy to play.

#ELEtism

(edited by Zeon.8239)

in PvP

Posted by: Loco.4561

Loco.4561

I play a MM Bunker Necro, I’d love NOT to play this build but others just aren’t viable and as you have said passive builds don’t require much skill at all, including condition builds.

Why am I playing this build that you despise so much? Warriors. Pure and simple, without any kind of significant tank/bunker they would just walk all over me, I can’t play zerk builds/spectral builds because they would just CC me to death and there is very little you can do about it. How aNet is still leaving warriors in there current state is quite frankly insane. D/D Ele’s were quickly nerfed down, but warriors are still left un-touched?

Professions like warriors that are quite frankly OP are FORCING players to use cheap bunker builds, like MM Necros. I occasionally log in a warrior, when I get fed up enough of facing 3+ per team and I’m still staggered by how OP it feels, I’ve only played maybe 10 games and I am literally walking all over people, I even feel sorry for them, especially the one’s who are trying non-gimmick builds.

Mashup Bootleg ~ WvW Mesmer
Cyrus Glitch – sPvP/tPvP Mesmer
Doctor Loki – sPvP/tPvP/WvW Power Necro

in PvP

Posted by: mini.6018

mini.6018

I play a MM Bunker Necro, I’d love NOT to play this build but others just aren’t viable and as you have said passive builds don’t require much skill at all, including condition builds.

Why am I playing this build that you despise so much? Warriors. Pure and simple, without any kind of significant tank/bunker they would just walk all over me, I can’t play zerk builds/spectral builds because they would just CC me to death and there is very little you can do about it. How aNet is still leaving warriors in there current state is quite frankly insane. D/D Ele’s were quickly nerfed down, but warriors are still left un-touched?

Professions like warriors that are quite frankly OP are FORCING players to use cheap bunker builds, like MM Necros. I occasionally log in a warrior, when I get fed up enough of facing 3+ per team and I’m still staggered by how OP it feels, I’ve only played maybe 10 games and I am literally walking all over people, I even feel sorry for them, especially the one’s who are trying non-gimmick builds.

Yes bro because minion mancers and zoopet rangers didn’t exist until warrior came along.Cool story though always enjoy a good ol excuse.

in PvP

Posted by: Master of Timespace.2548

Master of Timespace.2548

I feel like the game needs a better, more detailed UI than anything else. I’m trying to get into PvP right now, and the biggest stumbling block for me is having to fight with the UI.

With the Necromancer example there – why do we need to see names and stuff for the pets without clicking on them? I’m new to PvP, but I haven’t run into a situation where I felt like I really needed to be able to pay close attention to enemy pets – more often, it’s the Ranger or Necromancer I’m after, not their pets.

And at any rate, if ArenaNet do want to curry favor with the whole “esports” thing, the best way of having a successful esports game is to make it as newbie-friendly as possible. League of Legends and Dota 2 would not be where they are now if they weren’t both very welcoming to new players.

I feel like GW2’s PvP is pretty close to being that kind of welcoming, but as a newcomer to PvP… the UI is just awful and really makes understanding what’s going on difficult.

They are welcoming yes, but dota 2 for example, still has a steep learning curve.

? <(^-^><)>^-^)> <(^-^)> ?

in PvP

Posted by: Wombat.3510

Wombat.3510

My advice is to bunker up and enjoy the fun!

With the current meta of small point conquest, AOE spamming, perma-stealth thieves, perma-stun warriors, etc., it only makes sense to run a bunker build if you want to survive for any length of time.

Unlike wvw and no matter the AI, charging on top of someone and unloading everything with a glassy build is going to do one thing; get you killed easily!

in PvP

Posted by: Ryan.9387

Ryan.9387

If you die to spirits that don’t attack and only have 1 skill then good luck against a player.

Ranger | Elementalist

in PvP

Holler.7053

http://www.twitch.tv/teamparadigmnet/b/414251920

an old team paradigm invitational this is how that game should be they are focusing targets very little splash damage, 1000x less clutter and infinitely more enjoyable to watch than the passive regen, aoe spam, and passive boon spam we call gw2 today. Its hard to believe there was once a time where a team saved cds/skills to use them together to try to spike rather than just spam one target. If you watch any old tourney footage its it vastly superior to what we have today, i can remember the first tournament i watched being on the edge of my seat the plays were fantastic, the game was fluid. Yes back then some things needed to be toned down but instead of toning it was either killed or something buffed so incredibly much that it was stupid to take anything but that class/spec.