People cant speak English in Ranked

in PvP

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

but I was under the impression I joined a NA English speaking server

No, you joined a server where people type letters and numbers in the chatbox, sometimes creating coherent words and sentences you can understand. English was not specified.

in PvP

Posted by: Lucius.2140

Lucius.2140

Personally i will edit the: “its not like they can help it”.

The first reply in the thread its totally on point.

However something needs to be done to address this issue. I honestly don’t even think many of them can even read what the abilities description says.

Game its also in Spanish.

From my experience in game (can be biased): 25% of we latinoamericans know how to communicate in English (with grammar and ortographics errors, but still what a person with average reading comprehension can understand).

However you need to considerate some points, depending of their raiting:

• A lot of people will not mind or ignore the chatt, some even dont have team chatt on (English speakers included).
  • Its posible people its less communicative in the morning, its not an hour for competitive (low population will create bad match ups), as such people will not mind strategy, etc. so much. (English speakers included).

Plus in that kind of hour you will probable get a wider distribution of skill rating in teams.

Another point, just in case:

Never put in team chatt something like whining for probably not been capable of communicate because theres a high chance you will get trolled or ignored.

Edit (to clarificate for thirds guy reply) Take in consideration that some will just prefer to speak in spanish if they are mayority, meaning you are doomed xd, except if:

Also take it philosophically, the world its telling you its time to learn a new language!(one of my aunts learned French in a week reading the newspaper, as long as you are very smart you can do it fast!).

Pd: Thanks didnt know languages were in capital letters in English.

(edited by Lucius.2140)

in PvP

Posted by: Wargameur.6950

Wargameur.6950

In that case use targetting, map ping and drawing and hope it works

main ~ Esper Jace (Thief )/ Ellundril Jiluan
(mesmer ) – EU [Teef]

in PvP

Posted by: megilandil.7506

megilandil.7506

So.. I mostly play all day, everyday and I can confirm that the mornings are completely plagued by non English speaking players.

Its extremely hard to strategically communicate with individuals that cant even speak English. I don’t hold where these people were born against them or anything, its not like they can help it.

However something needs to be done to address this issue. I honestly don’t even think many of them can even read what the abilities description says. I’ve noticed the vast majority of the non English speaking players are South American, and Brazilian, so it would make sense for those guy to get their own server, or at least add some sort of automatic translator into the chat box.

I know this might seem like a minuscule issue but its becoming more and more common. Most guilds I see advertising in chat now are for non English speaking PvX guilds. And that’s totally cool, but I was under the impression I joined a NA English speaking server, right now I feel like I was abducted and taken hostage in foreign country. In ranked its like being in a jail where no one speaks your language in the morning hours all the way up through lunch time.

1) english is not the earth language, is one of the most talked but only it
2) PVP is not server linked, is region linked amd there are 2(3 whith china) regions: america(english,spanish,portuguese, and some french) and europe (with much much more languages)
the problem is also you dont talk/read/write their language, they had the same obligation of knowing english than you of knowing their language, none

in PvP

Posted by: Moonsinn.5382

Moonsinn.5382

I understand the frustration with not being able (or knowing if you can) communicate with your team. The matches where I am literally the only one in team chat I often lose. However, this happens even with people who speak English, like another posted, and all you can do is ping and draw on map and watch their movements to try to coordinate with them.

Aethelweard Rex – Guard
Trist Lockwood – Thief
Aelius Swift – Warrior

in PvP

Posted by: Faux Play.6104

Faux Play.6104

I suggest playing ele. They can “build a wall”.

On a more serious note, I only look at map pings. Most of what is said in chat is worthless. If you have a lot of time to chat during a match you are either dead a lot, camping a node no one is attacking, or an afk troll.

in PvP

Posted by: Moonsinn.5382

Moonsinn.5382

On a more serious note, I only look at map pings. Most of what is said in chat is worthless. If you have a lot of time to chat during a match you are either dead a lot, camping a node no one is attacking, or an afk troll.

There’s a lot of truth there. Only exception is when I’m capping or decapping and have a moment to type something, but even then I usually ping map. Oh, and when I /dance on corpses.

Aethelweard Rex – Guard
Trist Lockwood – Thief
Aelius Swift – Warrior

in PvP

Posted by: martin.1653

martin.1653

If you speak a single language you have zero rights to complain. Most of the GW community needs to speak english to be able to understand the game in the first place, that includes the whole Europe where people speak bajillion of languages. They can adjust and learn 2-3 languages.
Why can’t you speak spanish/portuguese at least? I know english is international language and everyone should be able to at least understand basics, but it’s mighty ignorant of you (op) to bash people for not speaking english while you can’t speak any second language yourself (I apologise if you do, but I’m willing to bet majority of north Americans can’t).

Just like it’s expected of every young European to speak english and/or german as their second and third language it should be expected of NA people to speak spanish and/or maybe portuguese since you’re kinda neighbours and you got a big connections with areas where those languages matter.

in PvP

Posted by: Crinn.7864

Crinn.7864

Last time I checked both Mexico and Canada are in North America.

Sanity is for the weak minded.
YouTube

in PvP

Posted by: MethaneGas.8357

MethaneGas.8357

I’ve got bad news for you. Even if they did speak English, 90% chance they wouldn’t understand what to do anyway. The majority of people you’ll meet in ranked are trash players regardless of what language they speak.

And 95% of players don’t even communicate. The 5% that DO communicate rage and QQ in map chat. gg

Necro, Ele, Mesmer, Guardian and Warrior, DR[OHai]
YouTube Channel

in PvP

Posted by: Justine.6351

Justine.6351

Seems like to improve your game you will need to learn a couple new words. I’d guess maybe 10ish.

In wvw I was linked with a server that had a Spanish speaking guild and I learned what the word vigia means. Just the little things that help win the day.

(edited by Justine.6351)

in PvP

Posted by: Ross Biddle.2367

Ross Biddle.2367

I don’t see the OP as bashing non-english speakers. If anything he’s taking exception with Anet. Let’s be honest, it’s their game, they make the grand decisions that effect players everywhere, and the OP is just one customer with a customer concern. There’s a reason why online MMO’s (and other games) have language specified servers.

Is that to say there’s a fix? Nope. Might as well get over it. And let’s face it, 32 million (14%) of american adults can’t read. Hell, from what I deduce from map chat pretty much everyone is illiterate XD

Attachments:

in PvP

Posted by: Ivakis Solo.4807

Ivakis Solo.4807

It’s so frustrating when ppl can’t speak Bulgarian in sPvP, how am I suppose to communicate with such ppl.

in PvP

Posted by: apharma.3741

apharma.3741

God help you if you ever play in EU.

Map pings and drawing is one of the best ways to communicate.

in PvP

Posted by: Archon.6480

Archon.6480

We need to build a fire wall to keep foreign speakers out of our games!

…that, or learn to draw on the map!!!

Jade Quarry – Esparie
Illustrious Exhausted Primordial Legendary Druid, and Mesmer for fun
PvE | PvP (1500)| WvW | Fractals | Dungeons

in PvP

Posted by: phokus.8934

phokus.8934

This forum, good lord. Can’t even make a simple joke without it being infracted.

In any event, call targets. Everyone knows a big target over something means to kill.

I post from a phone so please excuse any references to ducks or any other auto corrections.

in PvP

Posted by: Archon.6480

Archon.6480

^ I know, right.

Drawing, and using the symbols they added are really the best way to communicate, and they cut through language barriers as well.

Many times people type essays into chat and get mad when Others don’t follow. Some 1v1 or 2v2 battles are so intense it’s hard to read, where a simple arrow on the map would have sufficed.

Jade Quarry – Esparie
Illustrious Exhausted Primordial Legendary Druid, and Mesmer for fun
PvE | PvP (1500)| WvW | Fractals | Dungeons