Pistol thieves counter guardians

in PvP

Posted by: EremiteAngel.9765

EremiteAngel.9765

I don’t know why people think guards counter thieves.
Thieves have the tools to fight guards.
They just need to go pistol pistol.
Range and kite the guard.
I’ve seen many skilled pistol thieves kill guards.

Scourge Demo Weekend Roaming Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsby6rYkxS8

in PvP

Posted by: Xanctus The Dragonslayer.2318

Xanctus The Dragonslayer.2318

Nah they don’t.

in PvP

Posted by: EremiteAngel.9765

EremiteAngel.9765

Nah they don’t.

you have not fought Sizer before then.

Scourge Demo Weekend Roaming Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsby6rYkxS8

in PvP

Posted by: BlaqueFyre.5678

BlaqueFyre.5678

I don’t know why people think guards counter thieves.
Thieves have the tools to fight guards.
They just need to go pistol pistol.
Range and kite the guard.
I’ve seen many skilled pistol thieves kill guards.

Problem is only that one spec can counter guards if the Thieve is skilled while all other guards specs hard counter Every other Thief spec.
And P/P are weak/countered by all other meta class builds, they have to give up quite a bit to do any damage which is negated by all of the low CD projectile hate, i.e. Engine reflects, war blocks, ele Reflects/ projectile Destruction, Mesmer Distortion reflect, rev blocks and Glint heal, Druid Sublime Conversion and so on and Guards have quite a few projectile hate abilities built into the meta build so no it isn’t a hard counter it just allows thieves to counter the aoe spam that guards push out.

It takes the thief having to be better than the DH to make P/P counter DHs but be weaker to every other meta build use in spvp

in PvP

BlaqueFyre.5678

Nah they don’t.

You do realize Sizer could probably beat the majority of the DHs in ranked and Unranked pvp with D/D right?

Skill trumps everything but Guards still hard counter Thieves, P/P just allows Thieves to negate one facet of the current Guard/DH hardcounter.

in PvP

Posted by: Yasi.9065

Yasi.9065

Sorry, but the words “skilled” and “pistol pistol thief” dont go well in the same sentence.

in PvP

BlaqueFyre.5678

Sorry, but the words “skilled” and “pistol pistol thief” dont go well in the same sentence.

They do it takes a Skilled player to not waste all Initiative on Unload and to swap to either D/P or SB and kite. But the majority of P/P thieves use it to spam 3 and die its funny really.

in PvP

Posted by: Mr Godlike.6098

Mr Godlike.6098

nah maybe on lower tier…DH with brain will force p/p to eat damage…and that build kinda wastes a LOT of inactive on spam

Was depressed ele…now depressed druid
Kawaleria (KW)

in PvP

Posted by: Yasi.9065

Yasi.9065

Your definition of “skilled” and mine seem to be on two different planets…

Scrap that, its more like two different galaxies.

in PvP

Posted by: cyberzombie.7348

cyberzombie.7348

Well in general, long-ranged dps counters area denial builds.

What good is a medic w/o a patient?

in PvP

BlaqueFyre.5678

Your definition of “skilled” and mine seem to be on two different planets…

Scrap that, its more like two different galaxies.

It seems like you think running P/P in general means unskilled, but that’s not true players scan run it and be skilled it’s just a very under tuned weaponset that is countered by the majority of the meta, it takes more skill to use it effectively than to run d/p in all honesty.

in PvP

Posted by: Vagrant.7206

Vagrant.7206

This topic is funny. I’ve never lost to a pistol thief on my guard. D/P thieves and staff thieves? Sure. But not pistol thieves.

The great god Lagki demands sacrifice.

in PvP

Posted by: Ubik.8315

Ubik.8315

Dies to everything else though.

in PvP

Posted by: ArthurDent.9538

ArthurDent.9538

PP thief is a solid duelist build and has great burst for +1’s. The issue with it is that it lacks cleave, so it doesn’t do much in a team fight oriented meta like we currently have.

14 Dungeon paths soloed
Lupi solos on 9/9 professions
Wost Engi NA

in PvP

BlaqueFyre.5678

PP thief is a solid duelist build and has great burst for +1’s. The issue with it is that it lacks cleave, so it doesn’t do much in a team fight oriented meta like we currently have.

You also forget to mention all of the reflects/projectile hate almost all meta builds have .

in PvP

Posted by: Hendrix.9763

Hendrix.9763

“Pistol thieves counter guardians”
Yeah until they:
1. Throw their spear at you while you’re unloading and insta kill you by yanking you into their traps (which will happen, because to be even slightly effective with PP you better be traiting into damage and not vitality/toughness)
2. Pop Shield of Courage and negate your entire build with one utility
3. Pull out their longbow and out-damage you until you run or die
4. Literally ignore you because they can out-sustain your damage with their ridiculous amounts of blocks and healing (I’m looking at you, shelter and purification), and smaller yet still noticeable amounts of invuln and blinds.

in PvP

Posted by: SneakyTouchy.6043

SneakyTouchy.6043

Fighting guards as a thief is best with acrobat staff, just run the valk gimmick if your timing and mechanics need work.

in PvP

Posted by: Xanctus The Dragonslayer.2318

Xanctus The Dragonslayer.2318

Nah they don’t.

Just like I haven’t fought Helseth on a power shatter chronomancer, Or Drazeh on great axe.

Put two equally skilled players and u can barely call this a soft counter. It evens the odds more then it bieng anything close to a counter.

A dragonhunter that isn’t braindead. wont just stay in LOS the entire time and chase the thief across the map. They too will kite and go out LOS. Pop their shield of courage at the right time rinse and repeat if needed with renewed focus. Pull with spear of justice. Take in account the thiefs iniative spend when to burst.

in PvP

Posted by: abaddon.3290

abaddon.3290

pls do run more p/p on thief. my warrior loves letting you kill yourself or your allie with my shield reflect.

im bad at sarcasm

in PvP

Posted by: Wargameur.6950

Wargameur.6950

you know you can also play p/p with a bit of awareness and stow weapons ( yea guys you can cancel skills and stow weapons ) when you see a reflect. And yea, p/p is nice against DH, it doesn’t mean you have to stand in one place, spam unoad without thinking and you win.

you know just like you don’t braindead attack a revenant that uses it’s heal on brill legend….

main ~ Esper Jace (Thief )/ Ellundril Jiluan
(mesmer ) – EU [Teef]