Please Explain This MMR Scenario

in PvP

Posted by: Decimus.1829

Decimus.1829

Preliminary info: 2800 total matches played; 1378 matches won (49% win rate). Regular, casual play since launch. Starting with S1, I significantly increased play frequency and skill level (I know, subjective, but true). Made T5 Diamond in Season 2. I solo queue 99%.

According to my reading, the more you win, your MMR should rise, and you should be more inclined to have teammates with high MMR. However, in my experience, whenever I get on a nice 3-5 game win streak, I get punished! For at least a couple of games, I’ll get placed in VERY lopsided losses.

I try to play at least 10 matches per night. After a 4 or 5 nights of 7-3 or 6-4, I’ve now had a vicious streak of 3 nights of 2-8 or 3-7, and I fear I am now on the “low MMR team” consistently! Consistently poor teammates, IE 4 rubies and 1 diamond on my team, vs. 4 diamonds and 1 ruby on the other team.

So, my questions:
-Am I doomed to forever be on the “low mmr team” now?
-When I was winning and MMR was rising, why was I “punished” instead of getting teammates of similar skill, if that’s what is supposedly happening currently?
-I have noticed, when I take a few days off from pvp, my first night back I always win more than I lose, almost like my MMR improved by taking 48+ hrs off!?!?!?
-Or, am I forever going to hover around a 50% win rate over the course of a season, no matter how much I play or improve? It’s honestly tempting to buy a new account, just to have a “fresh” MMR, but I refuse to do that.

I know there has been a ton of matchmaking posts already, and for that I apologize. I’m just trying to wrap my head around what I’m experiencing, as alot of my recent games don’t feel like they ever had a chance to be close, competitive games.

in PvP

Posted by: Yasi.9065

Yasi.9065

(…)
According to my reading, the more you win, your MMR should rise, and you should be more inclined to have teammates with high MMR.
(…)

Every win will increase your mmr, however… if you win against a team with way lower mmr, that increase is basically non-existent. If you loose against a very much higher mmr team, your decrease is also barely noticable. However, if you win against a team with higher mmr, your mmr increases quite nicely… if you loose against a team with lower mmr, your mmr gets downadjusted more.
So winrate per se doesnt say much about mmr, which is why I was utterly disappointed when they showed only won matches and praised this as “new season statistics”.

Also, we do not know how big the mmr bracket is from which the matchmaker chooses teammates. If you are placed on a team as highest, you might notice that. If you are placed on a team as lowest, you probably wont because you think you just did everything right. Subjectivitiy at its best. Which brings me to my next comment….

(…)
However, in my experience, whenever I get on a nice 3-5 game win streak, I get punished! For at least a couple of games, I’ll get placed in VERY lopsided losses.

I try to play at least 10 matches per night. After a 4 or 5 nights of 7-3 or 6-4, I’ve now had a vicious streak of 3 nights of 2-8 or 3-7, and I fear I am now on the “low MMR team” consistently! Consistently poor teammates, IE 4 rubies and 1 diamond on my team, vs. 4 diamonds and 1 ruby on the other team.
(…)

Now, imagine this scenario… you got placed on the slightly better team 3 matches. After loosing a few times, some of the not so good team give up. Now a new team of not quite as good players is formed, with you in it this time. Thats what being “average” mmr means. You can end up on both sides. Either as the worst on a good team… or the best on a bad team.

Of course, you can end all of this by getting your mmr above average. A winrate of > 65% should be sufficiently wins to place you more likely onto good teams.

in PvP

Posted by: Synosius.9876

Synosius.9876

this season i had a 80% win rate until i was 1 win away from crossing into legendary division. now i have lost 8 of my past 10 games.

it seems theres sort of like check points, that once you reach the half way and end points of a division it does something to your mmr. once you hit those bridges you dont go back and have to push on with lower ranked team mates.

if you win those check point games you get to continue being matched with equally ranked players. if you lose that game your mmr sticks and lower ranked players get pulled up into your games for balance. basically a higher player is paired with lower team mates to face an average team.

pretty much your only options are get a full premade team or stop playing to let mmr decay.

in PvP

Posted by: XGhoul.7426

XGhoul.7426

Post a video of your gameplay.

in PvP

Posted by: Jourdelune.7456

Jourdelune.7456

So, my questions:
1-Am I doomed to forever be on the “low mmr team” now?
2-When I was winning and MMR was rising, why was I “punished” instead of getting teammates of similar skill, if that’s what is supposedly happening currently?
3-I have noticed, when I take a few days off from pvp, my first night back I always win more than I lose, almost like my MMR improved by taking 48+ hrs off!?!?!?
4-Or, am I forever going to hover around a 50% win rate over the course of a season, no matter how much I play or improve? It’s honestly tempting to buy a new account, just to have a “fresh” MMR, but I refuse to do that.

1- No, bring your friends that have a better MMR and play with them.
2- There is always someone with better MMR than you, unless you play with a pro team.
3- There is a decay into MMR rating. Some negative hits will decay has the positive hit over your real MMR. There is MMR and there is Volatibility. So, for bad nights, the system help you come back to where you were before it.
4- Probably, to have high winstreak you need to be on top of the MMR curve. Don’t buy a new account, just create a F2P vanilla build. Many will let you have winstreak from amber to ruby. From there, your MMR should be on top of the curve for your divisions and bring you into the Legendary in approx 80 matches.

Dal Aï Lhama (Tempest), Dal Lahu Akbar (DH), Lord Dhal of Dharma (Scrapper) 12k+ spvp games.
Former Team Captain of ggwp (ESL weekly), GLHF (AG), MIST[CORE] spvp alliance guild.
https://www.reddit.com/r/GuildWars2PvPTeams/