Please Learn how to Counter Bunkers

in PvP

Posted by: bhagwad.4281

bhagwad.4281

I’m tired of being in teams where no one knows how to take down a single bunker (usually at mid). Discuss your strategy in advance and have at least 3 bunkers of your own or someone like a decap engi (maybe even two) who will be able to neutralize a bunker’s effectiveness.

It’s ridiculous the way some teams will just not contest mid because they feel it’s a waste of time to try and get the bunker off. Trust me – you’ll save a lot of time and lose fewer matches if you can counter them yourself.

in PvP

Posted by: BlackBeard.2873

BlackBeard.2873

If they have a bunker that is just going to stand on mid and not help out in any other fights, its usually better to just leave them and then win 5v4 on all the other points. Eventually you can either 2v1 and take down the bunker, or force him somewhere else and get the free-cap after he leaves.

in PvP

Posted by: BryBry.8409

BryBry.8409

This thread is calling out a specific group of players, thread termination incoming.

in PvP

Posted by: XacTactX.6709

XacTactX.6709

This drives me crazy too, it’s part of a bigger problem where the teammates don’t fight as a team and focus fire. They think “Well I can’t kill the bunker or any of his teammates by myself, might as well play sides now”. No bro, no, call some targets maintain some poison score some kills.

Anet likely didn’t want to remove the armor stats entirely because…well,
we’ve all seen what happens in games where there’s no disadvantage to taking your pants off.

in PvP

bhagwad.4281

If they have a bunker that is just going to stand on mid and not help out in any other fights, its usually better to just leave them and then win 5v4 on all the other points. Eventually you can either 2v1 and take down the bunker, or force him somewhere else and get the free-cap after he leaves.

The mid point is usually centrally located with easy access to the other two (like on kyhlo or foefire for example). Holding or having people on it it gives the team a mobility advantage to redeploy forces to wherever necessary.

Just ignoring mid and letting the enemy sit on it all day is giving up a valuable piece of real estate.

in PvP

Posted by: Amplifier.1704

Amplifier.1704

The mid point is usually centrally located with easy access to the other two (like on kyhlo or foefire for example). Holding or having people on it it gives the team a mobility advantage to redeploy forces to wherever necessary.

Just ignoring mid and letting the enemy sit on it all day is giving up a valuable piece of real estate.

It depends entirely on you team composition. Even 1 thief is enough to hold 2 side nodes. You only need 1 class that is fast, and keeps eye on your enemy. Imagine you started a fight on their node and they are getting wiped (mostly due to their lack of guardian who is sitting on mid). As soon as the first one of the enemy team dies, a good player will have the eyes to watch where he will be heading out of the spawn. If you spot someone crossing, send someone who can catch him. Finish the fight quickly on their node (you are still outnumbering them because of the guardian even if you just sent one to your node) and send more to reinforce your point if needed. The thief just needs to stay on the point for sometime until more reinforcements show up. And this tactic gets ridiculously effective with a team of at least 3 semibunkers (warriors, rangers etc.) They can just keep dying on the point, and when he’s running low on hp the next guy steps on the point.

in PvP

Posted by: Spooko.5436

Spooko.5436

I wish I knew about the elite builds that completely counter a bunker 1v1, everytime allday erryday.

must be some next level stuff

in PvP

bhagwad.4281

I wish I knew about the elite builds that completely counter a bunker 1v1, everytime allday erryday.

must be some next level stuff

In my opinion, a terror necro that can convert boons into conditions (especially stability into fear) and a decap engi are two of the best counters to bunkers. Also, some thieves might just be able to DPS them down…

in PvP

Posted by: Spooko.5436

Spooko.5436

decap engis are bunkers, and those other things u mentioned only have a chance at working, sooooooooooooooooooo

in PvP

bhagwad.4281

decap engis are bunkers, and those other things u mentioned only have a chance at working, sooooooooooooooooooo

Sorry what?

Decap engis are the kings of…well, decapping! With minefield also removing 5 boons (6 actually) every 20 seconds or so, it’s the best build for removing a bunker from position.

In fact, a decap engi is a pretty bad bunker due to the complete lack of stability. And necros usually eat guardians for breakfast. But anyway, run a decap engi if you want to displace stuff and get irritating guys off points.

in PvP

Posted by: Chicago Jack.5647

Chicago Jack.5647

The typical bunker is a guardian bunker/support with more emphasis on support than bunkering. Outside of this, any team running an abundance amount of bunkers usually can’t do any significant damage. The typical counter to this is to push all points.

Regarding the guardian bunker/support, it’s really only effective in team fights, and just an afk deadweight when it is not.

Fighting a lone bunker in a 1v1 is simply too risky and ultimately a waste of your team’s time. At the very least, they will be able to hold you off until more help comes. At the very worst, you will be making yourself essentially as much of a deadweight afk’er as a bunker sitting on mid not supporting the team.

This being said, if an enemy bunker is just afk’ing on a point, it’s far more effective/less risky to just push the nodes that the bunker is not on. As you can most likely get a numbers advantage, which is far more effective than trying to fight a bunker in a 1v1 to prove how “manly” you are.

In soloque, however, communication is pathetic. So even the simplest strats can go awry.

(edited by Chicago Jack.5647)

in PvP

Posted by: Hype.8032

Hype.8032

If this is a whining thread about PUGs then really dude… it’s a PUG go smash some skulls and have fun. If it’s a coordinated team with voice-chat then you should be yelling at them instead of making random forum threads.

I’ve had much more success with outside point strats when the opponent team bunkers down mid hard anyways.

Tualek & F I Monk / Thief —-- Tk E / Engineer
Highest Solo Queue Rank Achieved: 40
Highest solo-join Team Queue Rank Achieved: 198

in PvP

bhagwad.4281

If this is a whining thread about PUGs then really dude… it’s a PUG go smash some skulls and have fun. If it’s a coordinated team with voice-chat then you should be yelling at them instead of making random forum threads.

I’ve had much more success with outside point strats when the opponent team bunkers down mid hard anyways.

And what if they have a bunker on their close as well as mid? We can’t design our play to tip toe around bunkers only taking the scraps they deign not to stand not. We should be able to counter them. And there are builds for that.

in PvP

Posted by: Chicago Jack.5647

Chicago Jack.5647

And what if they have a bunker on their close as well as mid?

If they have a bunker afk on their home, then you can get a numbers advantage at mid – assuming your home defender knows how to rotate.

in PvP

bhagwad.4281

And what if they have a bunker on their close as well as mid?

If they have a bunker afk on their home, then you can get a numbers advantage at mid – assuming your home defender knows how to rotate.

But that’s what I’m saying. I repeatedly get people on my team who can’t take down bunkers even with a numerical advantage. They just say “Forget mid. There’s a bunker there”. As if that gives the enemy a god given right to permanently claim a spot.

It doesn’t. And there are builds that can take bunkers down or decap the point. All I’m saying is that people should familiarize themselves with those builds.

in PvP

Posted by: gesho.9468

gesho.9468

how do you rotate home: when someone on your side goes down in the mid, you move mid (if no incoming on home)? hoping downed player will respawn shortly and take your home def spot?

in PvP

Posted by: Abazigal.3679

Abazigal.3679

It’s easy to deal with pure bunkers, but it gets too hard to deal with parties having 3 semi bunkers that can hold a shrine and kill people ( i.e hambow , spirit ranger,..). It’s quite common in TA to see guilds running 3 warriors or 2 warriors + 1 guard + 1 engi.

There surely are builds that can deal with them( necro or thief you mentionned), but you can still die quite easily. There’s in my opinion no real counter other than running these builds yourself

in PvP

Posted by: redslion.9675

redslion.9675

It should work something like…

We focus down a squishy target → Guard bunker tries to ress → We burst guardian bunker down while ressing, cleaving the downed in the process?

You will never be able to know what an engineer is going to do next…

because he doesn’t know it himself

in PvP

Posted by: style.6173

style.6173

I’m tired of being in teams where no one knows how to take down a single bunker (usually at mid). Discuss your strategy in advance and have at least 3 bunkers of your own or someone like a decap engi (maybe even two) who will be able to neutralize a bunker’s effectiveness.

It’s ridiculous the way some teams will just not contest mid because they feel it’s a waste of time to try and get the bunker off. Trust me – you’ll save a lot of time and lose fewer matches if you can counter them yourself.

Your post would make a lot more sense if there were not certain OP bunker specs right now. Also, depending on the other team’s strategy, there are plenty of times where it makes sense to only minimally fight for mid. I’ve seen teams sit 2 bunkers on that point the entire game, while we held both far nodes.

Protip: there is not one best solution. You have to adapt during the game.