Please Make Refractor Effects Work In sPvP

in PvP

Posted by: Roquen.5406

Roquen.5406

Hello All,

So after a long time debating whether or not I should get a Refractor, I finally broke down and bought the orange one. Much to my dismay…it does not actually work in sPvP…please change this. That’s the only reason I bought it.

I’m quite disappointed with this and really hope this can be changed. Thanks in advance.

in PvP

Posted by: Friggarn.9451

Friggarn.9451

After all that time, you didn’t wiki search it and find that out? 400-500G is a lot to spend without researching the item first!

in PvP

Roquen.5406

After all that time, you didn’t wiki search it and find that out? 400-500G is a lot to spend without researching the item first!

I looked at pictures and Youtube videos of the items being used and for whatever reason it didn’t register to check and see if it did work in sPvP. Seeing as it’s a vanity item I didn’t think they would stop you from using it.

No one buys it for the stats as you have to downgrade your gear to use it (can’t slot into ascended). It’s used for the unique color/glow it brings about.

Imagine if you could only use your legendary skin in PvE only, you wouldn’t be upset? There is no good reason why they can’t be used in sPvP. Thus, I am asking for it to be visible while pvping.

in PvP

Posted by: Cyninja.2954

Cyninja.2954

I looked at pictures and Youtube videos of the items being used and for whatever reason it didn’t register to check and see if it did work in sPvP. Seeing as it’s a vanity item I didn’t think they would stop you from using it.

No one buys it for the stats as you have to downgrade your gear to use it (can’t slot into ascended). It’s used for the unique color/glow it brings about.

Imagine if you could only use your legendary skin in PvE only, you wouldn’t be upset? There is no good reason why they can’t be used in sPvP. Thus, I am asking for it to be visible while pvping.

Actually there is.

Refractors make animations harder to read (especially the black one). This would give players with refractors an advantage, especially on asura where the animations are already hard to read.

I wouldn’t expect them to change this.

in PvP

Posted by: Redenaz.8631

Redenaz.8631

Perhaps they should make a note on the refractors’ descriptions warning that they don’t work in PvP.

It’s not a problem that affects a lot of people, but it can be really problematic for the people it does affect, and it’s not like there’s a well-established pattern of cosmetic items not working in PvP.

~The Storyteller – Elementalist – Jade Quarry~

in PvP

Posted by: Xbon.9086

Xbon.9086

This should be a given, A refractor is an item you slot into an accessory/ring/etc, think long and hard about this one; you don’t use your regular slots in PvP, you use a single amulet, and two sigils per weapons… This will not change, I can almost assure you.

in PvP

Posted by: Redenaz.8631

Redenaz.8631

…Oh, right, you don’t use your regular equipment. That does make sense.

<—-Guess who never does PvP!

~The Storyteller – Elementalist – Jade Quarry~

in PvP

Roquen.5406

Actually there is.

Refractors make animations harder to read (especially the black one). This would give players with refractors an advantage, especially on asura where the animations are already hard to read.

By your logic:

Legendaries should not be usable as their particle effects in some cases block the player’s view and cause an unfair advantage.
The wing backpieces should not be usable as they are very large and skew the player’s view.
Players should all have to be the same style/race/gender as that would cause an unfair advantage.
Legendary armor should not be visible in spvp (assuming legendary armor will have shiny pieces to it).

This should be a given, A refractor is an item you slot into an accessory/ring/etc, think long and hard about this one; you don’t use your regular slots in PvP, you use a single amulet, and two sigils per weapons… This will not change, I can almost assure you.

You can place it into your backpiece which is a slot you use for a skin…I want the skin not the stats.

in PvP

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

There’s no slot for the refractors in ascended gear, let alone in PvP. Plus, if you add one to an exotic, you can’t move it to another toon unless you destroy the original item (and if you add it to an unsalvageable trinket, you’re completely out of luck).

tl;dr refractors aren’t very user-friendly in all sorts of ways

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

in PvP

Roquen.5406

There’s no slot for the refractors in ascended gear, let alone in PvP. Plus, if you add one to an exotic, you can’t move it to another toon unless you destroy the original item (and if you add it to an unsalvageable trinket, you’re completely out of luck).

tl;dr refractors aren’t very user-friendly in all sorts of ways

You can put them into exotic gear plus the link below to extract them. If you use a cheap exotic (since stats don’t matter) then you don’t lose much gold. Hell if you just use any backpiece it can be even cheaper.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Upgrade_Extractor

But yes they aren’t very user friendly and it is quite disappointing, the effects are quite fun…

(edited by Roquen.5406)

in PvP

Cyninja.2954

Actually there is.

By your logic:

Legendaries should not be usable as their particle effects in some cases block the player’s view and cause an unfair advantage.
The wing backpieces should not be usable as they are very large and skew the player’s view.
Players should all have to be the same style/race/gender as that would cause an unfair advantage.
Legendary armor should not be visible in spvp (assuming legendary armor will have shiny pieces to it).

You can place it into your backpiece which is a slot you use for a skin…I want the skin not the stats.

Yes, unfortunately Anet can hardly ban certain races from pvp. Trust me, they would have done quite a few things differently at release in hindsight.

The point about legendarys is moot, only few have that strong particle effects, and even those do not come close to how much the black refractor for example hinders view on movement and animations.

Legendary armor I don’t even know how to respond to. I’ve not had visions of the future allowing me to see how it gets implemented, let alone how it might or might not affect visuals of animations.

You can complain all you want, It’s doubtful at best that Anet will change this with the amount of actual things that need addressing.

in PvP

Posted by: Saiyan.1704

Saiyan.1704

Actually there is.

By your logic:

I can’t think of an item that’s as ‘hard to read’ like the Refractor. In fact, no Legendary item makes animations hard to read…

Options menu > General Options > Standard Enemy Models > Enable
“Enemy players will appear as standard characters in the following formats:

• Custom Arena
  • Ranked Arena
aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

in PvP

Posted by: Aktium.9506

Aktium.9506

By your logic:

You realize there’s an option for this right? Standard enemy models option makes everyone humans with a class specific set of armor and weapon set.

in PvP

Roquen.5406

Cyninja – If you are going to argue that particle effects get in the way of player interaction. Then you have to ban throughout, you can’t go, “Oh no these are slightly less irritating so they are a-okay”. That’s the only way to be fair on all fronts. By your argument legendaries should be removed as well.

Saiyan – In your second point you kind of defeat your own argument… You state the effects get in the way but then link an option that you can apply so you wouldn’t even see them. I am well-aware that those options exist and wasn’t asking for them to be implemented but was stating that those should be mandatory by your standards.

Aktium – Please reread what you quoted. As mentioned above I was not asking for those features but mentioning if we went by the previous posters logic… Then those things should be mandatory.

You are trying to tell me that this would throw things out of wack and make things unfair? But things such as…

Class balance being broken
Stacked teams still being paired against hot joins
Poor matchmaking group comps
Certain builds completely outclassing any level of skill
1 condition doing 10 times more damage than any other condition combined
Etc…are fine?

If Anet really cared about balancing everything then they would be patching every few weeks and constantly tweaking and fine tuning to keep everything competitive and fair, much like any other major e-sport does.

Instead you have the same maps for 3 years, the same builds still overpowering everything else (d/d cele ele), the same game modes and on and on. Please stop acting as if this is a finely tuned competitive game mode and something like the refractor would shatter the non-existent, perfect balance that you speak of. Afterall, this is a very casual game where the end game is essentially cosmetic collection.

(Reposted without the first line because a mod deleted my initial post…)

in PvP

Cyninja.2954

Some people can’t be argued with. People even tell you that Anet goes out of their way to keep unbalance due to grafiks to a minimum, yet here you are still not getting it. I doubt many others will care for your plight, especially not on the pvp forums.

in PvP

Roquen.5406

Some people can’t be argued with. People even tell you that Anet goes out of their way to keep unbalance due to grafiks to a minimum, yet here you are still not getting it. I doubt many others will care for your plight, especially not on the pvp forums.

I am not quite sure what you are saying here, as that’s not what I was talking about at all. Also, you didn’t address a single one of my valid points. Finally, I didn’t post this on the pvp subforum, it was posted under general and a moderator moved it here.

in PvP

Cyninja.2954

I am not quite sure what you are saying here, as that’s not what I was talking about at all. Also, you didn’t address a single one of my valid points. Finally, I didn’t post this on the pvp subforum, it was posted under general and a moderator moved it here.

You have no valid points. Your only argument as to why the refractors should be allowed is:

- they would not impact pvp

Everything after that is grasping at straws or basically stating “two wrongs make a right”. People invalidated that point by showing that Anet is going out of their way to keep balance due to grafiks to a minimum by providing option settings to remove all clutter etc.

Train of thought, what if legendaries are making things harder to see? Does not mean Anet needs to add even more thing to make pvp visiables overcluttered.

Done here. Thick skull is thick skull.

in PvP

Roquen.5406

You have no valid points. Your only argument as to why the refractors should be allowed is:

- they would not impact pvp

Everything after that is grasping at straws or basically stating “two wrongs make a right”. People invalidated that point by showing that Anet is going out of their way to keep balance due to grafiks to a minimum by providing option settings to remove all clutter etc.

Train of thought, what if legendaries are making things harder to see? Does not mean Anet needs to add even more thing to make pvp visiables overcluttered.

Done here. Thick skull is thick skull.

Funny coming from you…you just stated they provide an option to remove all clutter…as in if you select it you wouldn’t even see the skin. Then you complain that allowing it to show would ruin the game for you. Make up your mind…

Second…you act as if pvp is balanced when it is FAR FROM IT…so please read everything before throwing insults at people.