Please give us spvp gear progression. 10% difference from baseline-best.

in PvP

Posted by: Anders.6425

Anders.6425

10% difference from baseline-best.

This will not break balance.

in PvP

Posted by: DoubleUnder.9052

DoubleUnder.9052

Well if everyone gets 10% more than baseline you are back to where you are now.

Even Steven. And I am thankful all the gear for sPvP is cosmetic without any “pvp stat”.

in PvP

Anders.6425

Well if everyone gets 10% more than baseline you are back to where you are now.

Even Steven. And I am thankful all the gear for sPvP is cosmetic without any “pvp stat”.

everyone won’t or at least nor until they “progress” i don’t see why this would be a problem. a good newbie could still beat an average “decked out” toon.

in PvP

Posted by: ilJumperMT.4871

ilJumperMT.4871

go back to wow if you want gear based pvp.

I’m nearly rank 40 myself, and I don’t want my gear to have advantage over rank 1 person. Skill> Gear

You know why WvW Fails? Gears matters too much there

in PvP

Posted by: Arc.9374

Arc.9374

The pvp progression is the drive to improve your play, not getting gear to make you think you’re improving your play.

Potaters!

in PvP

Posted by: GankSinatra.2653

GankSinatra.2653

Would you guys mind if there are eventually rings added, some for free, but some with a required rank? Not giving more stats, but being like Amulets, giving different stats that work best for your build. Same thing with a few other items mayhaps.

in PvP

Posted by: Allarius.5670

Allarius.5670

No, no, no …. and no. This is the first time I’ve signed on to reply to a thread since release. The whole appeal of GW2 PvP was that there was no stat progression, it was all cosmetic. Deterring from this, in any way, regardless of how small, violates the very concept upon which it was built. Any and all rewards for sPvP should be strictly cosmetic. Even things like accessories being limited in type to rank is against this idea. It is supposed to be about skill, about how well you play your profession, and how it fits into the meta … it is not supposed to be about how often you can play or grind.

in PvP

Posted by: Disconnected.9253

Disconnected.9253

I’m against having any overall numerical advantage via gear. The presets exist for a reason.
Unlocking new stat combinations with rank… I guess I’m not against the idea.
And I assume rings and such will be added eventually.

if you want to stroke your kitten with better gear, play wvw, or wow-clones.

in PvP

GankSinatra.2653

More to give an illusion of progression, and an illusion of choice.
Not that i really want stat differences, no matter how small, but its just an idea that popped in my head as i read this thread.
Because tbh, i hear way more whining about not getting stats when ranking up than i should.

And yeah Disconnected, i mainly thought of it as an addition for an expansion. Thinking of how they might eventually add different items, and if they will, im guessing this is how, right? Adding more incentive to play does not necessarily have to be a bad thing when done right.

(edited by GankSinatra.2653)

in PvP

Posted by: JonathanSharp.7094

JonathanSharp.7094

Game Design Lead

Short answer – no.

The reason is that we are working towards an esport based on skill. I realize some of you want your items to matter, and if you want that, WvW gives you that feeling.

But we feel it’s very important that you are on equal footing with your opponents when in sPvP. We want skill to be the single largest determinant in who wins in sPvP.

We may add more aesthetic choices down the road, and maybe the stats on the amulets can change, but overall we want to stay w/ the “no power grind” system that we have established.

Hope that makes sense!

IGN: Chaplan
“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.”
-Arthur Schopenhauer

in PvP

Posted by: Sanis.1096

Sanis.1096

no thx… that was one of the reasons why i play gw2 pvp vs all other mmorpg pvps

-Apinamies-
-rank 41 guardian-
-Desolation EU-

in PvP

GankSinatra.2653

I never ever do WvW so i completely forgot about that lol. Its a fair point even if many people dont personally enjoy WvW.

And i appreciate the ‘work in progress’ feel of your post. As personally i feel there are certain mechanics that are more disruptive to your goal than a bit more toughness here and there. Its unfortunate that people are quitting over this..but its what’s best for the game. Maybe we’re better off without them (bye little bro).

Cheers for the Amulet part, guess we’ll be sticking to those instead of adding rings and such. Good to know! Oh I would like to suggest to add some more amulet combinations already.. I believe that Condition users have inferior choices to others. Maybe this is intentional, but its weird not seeing certain obvious combination over precision+condition Amulets.

(edited by GankSinatra.2653)

in PvP

Posted by: DoubleUnder.9052

DoubleUnder.9052

go back to wow if you want gear based pvp.

I’m nearly rank 40 myself, and I don’t want my gear to have advantage over rank 1 person. Skill> Gear

You know why WvW Fails? Gears matters too much there

This ^^^^^^

Gear progression is earning valor and getting better looking gear from valor vendors. PvP gear stats ruin PvP.

in PvP

Posted by: Sky.9347

Sky.9347

@ Jonathan Sharp

Your team’s consistent stand on this issue has reinforced my loyalty to GW2.
As long as you continue to leave sPvP 100% even footing, I will continue to buy all of your product.

PvP stats are only about customization and tweaking, trade-off and sacrifice. It should never EVER be the determining factor for any fight in sPvP.

Thanks.

Sky – [tSA] – Stormbluff Isle
November 15, 2012 – The day a dream died.

in PvP

Anders.6425

Aesthetics? You’re either all red or all blue. The one carrot on the stick is “cool looking gear” but when its dumped with all red or all blue paint I think the cool factor is greatly diminished.

ps. I’m not all hate I do have a great time in pvp but I just feel it will get stale without some help.

in PvP

Posted by: Josh.6931

Josh.6931

Short answer – no.

The reason is that we are working towards an esport based on skill. I realize some of you want your items to matter, and if you want that, WvW gives you that feeling.

But we feel it’s very important that you are on equal footing with your opponents when in sPvP. We want skill to be the single largest determinant in who wins in sPvP.

We may add more aesthetic choices down the road, and maybe the stats on the amulets can change, but overall we want to stay w/ the “no power grind” system that we have established.

Hope that makes sense!

I agree with no gear progression in spvp, but please don’t suggest it matters in WvW. Just look at queue charts in comparison to the server rank. It’s pretty clear what matters the most. Number of players.

in PvP

Posted by: Vandal.8029

Vandal.8029

Agreed, Arc. But there needs to be some really awesome looking gear that is not easy to get. So when you see a good player in the mists, you will know they are good just by looking at their gear. And others will strive to get better so they can look like that too. Most of the gear right now is obtained by farming glory. Hopefully paid tourneys will change this.

in PvP

Posted by: Zogyark.4597

Zogyark.4597

@ Josh – It does actually, Lvl 80 with good gear here and some skill pts and vistas I wouldn’t have gotten if my gear didn’t matter as much in 1vs1s and 2vs1. I just killed my enemies with ease and went ahead into enemy territory like a boss and got what I needed for my 100% map completion.

Necromancer Lupicus Solo – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWkSkhmWiDU

Retired Until Expansion or Meaningful Content is Released.

in PvP

Posted by: Redscope.6215

Redscope.6215

@Josh

To some extent, yes, WvW is a numbers game. But once you’ve become a level 80 exotic-laden character your effectiveness in whichever realm you decide to build increases dramatically.

I’d rather have 10 geared-out 80s than 30 undergeared sidekicked characters regardless of class and player skill (Edit…yeah so long as the level 80s are not monkies with laptops…you know what I mean).

Don’t get me wrong, numbers are important…but in context. As they usually are

(edited by Redscope.6215)

in PvP

Posted by: Emoqt.1853

Emoqt.1853

Thank the lord

this is a good thing

www.youtube.com/emoqtguildwars2

www.getstomped.com (GandaraEU)

in PvP

Posted by: Bahamzero.6783

Bahamzero.6783

aaah the esport dream…

in PvP

Posted by: Strongfort.2451

Strongfort.2451

Short answer – no.

(snip) we feel it’s very important that you are on equal footing with your opponents when in sPvP. We want skill to be the single largest determinant in who wins in sPvP.

And that’s why this game’s PvP is amazing.

Please don’t ever change this stance Arenanet!

in PvP

Posted by: Kneru.8014

Kneru.8014

Short answer – no.

(snip) we feel it’s very important that you are on equal footing with your opponents when in sPvP. We want skill to be the single largest determinant in who wins in sPvP.

And that’s why this game’s PvP is amazing.

Please don’t ever change this stance Arenanet!

^This. Ever grinded your butt off and had the best gear? Ever had a patch come out or take a break after getting that gear? Guess what? All of your previous hard work meant nothing. Less than nothing. You’re current gear can now be obtained within 1/4th of the time it took you to achieve originally. Dont feel competitive anymore? Too bad, get back on that gear treadmill and run. Run little hamser, run!

in PvP

Posted by: Colton Bole.7015

Colton Bole.7015

I get the distinct feeling that “someone” in this thread is a little butt-hurt that they got beaten by a player who didn’t look as bad kitten as them.

in PvP

Posted by: Cribbage.2056

Cribbage.2056

As much as some of the decisions by Anet disappoint or frustrate me, commitment to the level playing field in PvP really makes me like them.

If you can win PvP before you even load into the instance, by equipping better gear or choosing an IWIN spec, then the game is failing. Players who want it to be that way clearly do not understand the joy to be had from a fair fight.

As it stands, GW2 gets it spot on for me on the gear front. A lot fo diversity, so experimentation is still fun, but no progression or balance effecting upgrades.

Now sort the class balance out (i.e. nerf mesmers) and we’ll be looking at truly fair combat.

in PvP

Posted by: Varyag.3751

Varyag.3751

Short answer – no.

Hope that makes sense!

THIS right here is why Guild Wars and it’s successor are good PvP games.

I play Warrior, Guardian, Elementalist and Thief.

in PvP

Posted by: AnubisXy.5713

AnubisXy.5713

I’d like to see a couple of more stat combinations on amulets, but other than that I am extremely happy with the sPvP system in Guild Wars 2, and the lack of gear grind.

in PvP

Posted by: Untouch.2541

Untouch.2541

10% in the long run would matter much more than you think it would.

in PvP

Posted by: labotimy.2439

labotimy.2439

aaah the esport dream…

not to be a naysayer but i dont see this game going e-sport and heres why.
to be an e-sport a game has to have a great deal of balance, something that is currently not in gw2 considering the vast amount of REACTIONARY nerfs on anets part.
the second factor and arguably most important is popularity, which unfortunately i doubt gw2 will maintain considering its complete lack of pve endgame, and absolutely no varied pvp content at all.

simply put gw2 needs better class balance/bug fixes FASTER, and more pvp/pve content to keep the player base interested.

here is an example http://i.imgur.com/YFo3V.jpg
notice madman hiba asking jon peters a dev during a QA session about a seriously bugged engineer ability that has remained bugged since beta, and how his question goes unanswered. this is the current standard of dev that anet is employing and pretty much sums up many peoples dissatisfaction with the game currently.

class balance, major class bugs, lack of content across the board, lack of progression incentive whether gear(not spvp gear, before the fanboys go for the jugular) or elo, all for the sake of balancing for e-sport? what a joke.

valve releases games that go e-sport instantly, anet you should take notes.

in PvP

Posted by: QSpec.4298

QSpec.4298

This has probably been mentioned, but I think the bigger problem would be power creep.

Sure now, 10% might not be a huge deal initially. Eventually though most everyone would have it. Then there would be another forum post asking for say another 10%.

Enough of these you eventually end up with older toons doing 1.5 or even 2 times the amount of damage of a new toon.

I think this seems more of an issue than it is. We have been taught (by WoW et al) that end game is about doing the same thing over and over until you ahve gear only to do it again for more gear.

Once GW2 becomes more established with more to do in the end game, I hope this will be less of an issue and more of a relic.

in PvP

Posted by: Kneru.8014

Kneru.8014

aaah the esport dream…

to be an e-sport a game has to have a great deal of balance, something that is currently not in gw2 considering the vast amount of REACTIONARY nerfs on anets part.
the second factor and arguably most important is popularity, which unfortunately i doubt gw2 will maintain considering its complete lack of pve endgame, and absolutely no varied pvp content at all.

simply put gw2 needs better class balance/bug fixes FASTER, and more pvp/pve content to keep the player base interested.

notice madman hiba asking jon peters a dev during a QA session about a seriously bugged engineer ability that has remained bugged since beta, and how his question goes unanswered. this is the current standard of dev that anet is employing and pretty much sums up many peoples dissatisfaction with the game currently.

class balance, major class bugs, lack of content across the board, lack of progression incentive whether gear(not spvp gear, before the fanboys go for the jugular) or elo, all for the sake of balancing for e-sport? what a joke.

They already have been taking notes. They recently said that first they want to give players the tools to make the game an E-Sport, before jumping the gun and then failing. Even LoL didnt launch as an E-Sport, first all of the tools and neccessities were put into place. It became an E-Sport ~1 yr. after it’s launch. GW2 has only been out for a month. Sheesh…

As for your first sentence, that’s exactly what you are…

in PvP

labotimy.2439

This has probably been mentioned, but I think the bigger problem would be power creep.

Sure now, 10% might not be a huge deal initially. Eventually though most everyone would have it. Then there would be another forum post asking for say another 10%.

Enough of these you eventually end up with older toons doing 1.5 or even 2 times the amount of damage of a new toon.

I think this seems more of an issue than it is. We have been taught (by WoW et al) that end game is about doing the same thing over and over until you ahve gear only to do it again for more gear.

Once GW2 becomes more established with more to do in the end game, I hope this will be less of an issue and more of a relic.

after playing many other pvp mmo’s i can honestly say i dont care about gear progression in regards to spvp, assuming of course there is something cough content cough to keep me interested. currently i get bored of gw2 pvp in about 10 minutes since it is exactly the same crap ive been doing since beta with just about 0 variance other then a new toon.

in PvP

labotimy.2439

aaah the esport dream…

They already have been taking notes. They recently said that first they want to give players the tools to make the game an E-Sport, before jumping the gun and then failing. Even LoL didnt launch as an E-Sport, first all of the tools and neccessities were put into place. It became an E-Sport ~1 yr. after it’s launch. GW2 has only been out for a month. Sheesh…

As for your first sentence, that’s exactly what you are…

LOL that is not recent, anet has been using the “e-sport crutch” since beta it seems to justify releasing a game with half the pvp content it SHOULD have had.

i used valves latest release cs go as an example simply because it had two of the essential e-sport requirements down at launch, balance and popularity.
http://www.dreamhack.se/dhs12/2012/08/13/major-counter-strike-global-offensive-tournament-at-dhw12/

in PvP

Posted by: ZNICK.8537

ZNICK.8537

I AGREE with the “NO”!" stand 100%…

BUT please let us wear the PvP gear (looks only w/trans) outside of the Mists!

Most of my friends aren’t into PvP and have lev 80 PvE characters. I hardly leave the Mists and am low character level. Occasionally I leave to go to a guild meeting or run a dungeon and I look like crap because I have level 10 gear, and all of my friends are sporting great looking stuff.

It’s depressing. (and I’ve put a lot more time into my char!)

Why can’t people have the “looks” of their gear anywhere? Let the people who have high level PvE gear wear it in the Mists (cosmetic only) and let us have the looks of our high level PvE gear outside.

What makes it even worse is that we’re turned red/blue when we’re in a game anyway, so even IN the Mists all of our work to earn great looking stuff is wasted unless we want to hang around outside of the game maps doing nothing showing off our kittens.

No stats change, just looks… we work hard for it, let us wear it anywhere.

Z

in PvP

Posted by: Elthurien.8356

Elthurien.8356

I just wish WvW had the same equalised gear as sPvP and a glory progression.
The grass is always greener I suppose.

in PvP

Posted by: Xolo.3580

Xolo.3580

Good to hear about potential additions to amulets. Sometimes the available stat combinations on amulets prevent me from making a certain build effective

in PvP

Posted by: Pimpslapper.2047

Pimpslapper.2047

Yeah, keep the system like it is but:

1. Don’t show everyone as level 80 in Spvp, show their SPVP Ranks instead!!!
2. Give us some decent skins!! Make the armor for the higher levels really stand out. The higher levels should be feared on the killing grounds, not just based on skill, but on how intimidating they look!

Otherwise, please do not change a thing!

in PvP

Posted by: Yasha.5963

Yasha.5963

There are so many things I love about the pvp in this game, but one of the best things is the lack of gear gap between players in spvp. Even the gear gap in WvW isn’t that bad compared to some games.

in PvP

Posted by: aleiro.8521

aleiro.8521

Short answer – no.

Hope that makes sense!

Nais, give them bragging rights, all they want, just not difference in gear.

Great Answer Jonathan

in PvP

Posted by: Arvin.3124

Arvin.3124

I love you Jonathan!

Finally a company that understands that the true appeal of any proper PvP is skill, not a gearcheck.

I love getting my merely cosmetic new gear as I move up in rank, and every kill or play you make is solely because of your skill and setup within a level playing field.

in PvP

Posted by: Lumines.3916

Lumines.3916

Re-re-re-rejected~~~

In other games like WoW, sometimes when I’d get beaten these things would go through my head.

-“That guy is decked in full season arena gear! I had no chance.”
-“WTF Warglaives, you expect me to survive!?”

Now it’s

-“Ok, I kittened up my CDs there, nothing else to it.”
-“kitten mesmers..”

in PvP

Posted by: Tom Chesterson.6905

Tom Chesterson.6905

As much as some of the decisions by Anet disappoint or frustrate me, commitment to the level playing field in PvP really makes me like them.

If you can win PvP before you even load into the instance, by equipping better gear or choosing an IWIN spec, then the game is failing. Players who want it to be that way clearly do not understand the joy to be had from a fair fight.

As it stands, GW2 gets it spot on for me on the gear front. A lot fo diversity, so experimentation is still fun, but no progression or balance effecting upgrades.

Now sort the class balance out (i.e. nerf mesmers) and we’ll be looking at truly fair combat.

You speak my thoughts.