Pregame copypasta

Pregame copypasta

in PvP

Posted by: Huskyboy.1053

Huskyboy.1053

Usually when I load into a match, I’ll say something to the effect of “focus target, focus necro” etc. General advice that you’d think most people know, but many don’t remember. Since Anet won’t give us a sPvP tutorial, and people often don’t remember things even if they “already know” it, can we brainstorm an all-purpose, 2-sentence copypasta to use before matches? It’s not relevant in high-plat, but judging from all the posts from good players on this forum, basic conquest advice is needed from bronze to mid-plat.

I’d start with “Focus the target always, 2-cap not 3-cap, defend points after capture (don’t leave it open), kite off-point if you would die on-point.”

It won’t solve all bad behaviors, but if the same good advice were passed around constantly then at least 5% of people I see regularly would improve a bit. People can improve their dueling skills in hotjoin by asking “what did I do wrong” and having a single, knowledgeable person say exactly what. With conquest it’s a lot harder to figure out what your mistakes were over a 12-minute match, and teammates tend to blame each other.

Pregame copypasta

in PvP

Posted by: martin.1653

martin.1653

Oh I think majority of people already have some of those ready. For example: “Thief close.” is pretty common one.

I’m and idealist so sometimes I type: “Pls don’t wipe mid at start.”
Sometimes they listen.

In all seriousness, I don’t think writing a tip at the start of match will help that much. If you get team that needs to be told that it’s better to leave point than die on it, then you’ve already lost the game.

Pregame copypasta

in PvP

Huskyboy.1053

Well that’s what I mean, just because you generally “know” something doesn’t mean you’re going to remember it when you need to. Source

If you say it at the beginning of the match then it will be top-of-mind for everyone on your team (that reads chat). Like I said it won’t solve all bad behaviors, but it will be a small improvement. Covering the basics increases the chances that your teammates will make basic smart decisions.

Pregame copypasta

in PvP

Posted by: Magnito.6187

Magnito.6187

Oh I think majority of people already have some of those ready. For example: “Thief close.” is pretty common one.

Sometimes they listen.

In all seriousness, I don’t think writing a tip at the start of match will help that much. If you get team that needs to be told that it’s better to leave point than die on it, then you’ve already lost the game.

“Thief close” is a pretty dumb one as well. As soon as your home point gets pushed and your thief is capping it, you either have to give up the cap, or your thief fights a fight that takes way too long. I’m really done hearing ‘thief close’ at the start of a match. Instantly dumbs down the one who wrote it.

Pregame copypasta

in PvP

Posted by: marceline.8163

marceline.8163

That link was great!!

I tend to listen to each bit of advice given during a match (unless the advice is something like “thief, go lord”), i just assume the person had more experience than me so probably is able to read the game better. I’m stuck in bronze , so i guess that’s where i belong, and sometimes i’ll have a really good run of people all listening to each other and using the mini map but then other times, like last night, i end up on teams that run around all over the place, wiping constantly in team fights, running into a 4v1 fight (probably screaming YOLO at their screen), and good god does it kitten me off. Simple common sense should dictate that leaving your team weakened in any way is not going to help for a win.
Anyways, yeah a simple copypasta would be nice… doubt it’ll happen but nice all the same.

Pregame copypasta

in PvP

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

Everyone already knows to target necros, but you call the target that messed up. Called targets all over the place means no one pays attention to them.

Pregame copypasta

in PvP

Huskyboy.1053

Everyone already knows to target necros, but you call the target that messed up. Called targets all over the place means no one pays attention to them.

Very true. Occasionally I remember to say something like “attack the target that’s called, don’t retarget randomly,” but I think that goes over people’s heads. I don’t often find that this is an issue though, usually the problem is that I’m the only person who calls and follows targets. As to the “everyone knows to target necros” yeah they do, but if the necro is off-point and a guard is on-point then oftentimes people will just attack the guard because they’re nearer. Again, just because people “know” something doesn’t mean that they’ll remember that piece of information or act on it when they need to.

Pregame copypasta

in PvP

Huskyboy.1053

Sometimes they listen.

Yeah my point was to come up with a copypasta, i.e. something that various people can just copy/paste. It would standardize this advice rather than having people try and come up with a good one individually.

Pregame copypasta

in PvP

Posted by: Pyriall.1683

Pyriall.1683

You attack the target period. I generally call targets in the matches for my team. I pay attention to health and cd’s, so I’ll swap depending on what is being used and the health of our team and the opposing team.

Pregame copypasta

in PvP

Posted by: Darknicrofia.2604

Darknicrofia.2604

thief to close is one of the worst “meta” strats ever, don’t know how it ever caught on.

the only instance where it works is if both teams are cookie cutter 4 1 splitting, and you’re only shaving like 5 seconds of capping time.

Darknicrofia Sage – Bad Gerdian, Merciless Legend, Platinum NA Solo Que

Pregame copypasta

in PvP

Posted by: Crusader.5497

Crusader.5497

“Focus the target always, 2-cap not 3-cap, defend points after capture (don’t leave it open), kite off-point if you would die on-point.”

I write that, but people don’t even listen. Playing silver is like a coin-toss.

Pregame copypasta

in PvP

Posted by: Ramoth.9064

Ramoth.9064

thief to close is one of the worst “meta” strats ever, don’t know how it ever caught on.

the only instance where it works is if both teams are cookie cutter 4 1 splitting, and you’re only shaving like 5 seconds of capping time.

It used to be necro to close.

Pregame copypasta

in PvP

Posted by: Rukia.9860

Rukia.9860

Sometimes they listen.

“Thief close” is a pretty dumb one as well. As soon as your home point gets pushed and your thief is capping it, you either have to give up the cap, or your thief fights a fight that takes way too long. I’m really done hearing ‘thief close’ at the start of a match. Instantly dumbs down the one who wrote it.

Agree’d but when my team full of DH, Druid, Necro, etc. ask ME of all people to take home I simply say NO and go far lol imbeciles.

Pregame copypasta

in PvP

Posted by: DaShi.1368

DaShi.1368

In solo/duo queue, thief close is a good choice because it’s not a team fighter and has the most mobility. If you’re afraid of 1v1ing, then leave and support your team by +1ing. You can do it quickly with your mobility. Then swing back for the recap or decap far. If not engaged at close, then the thief is setup with its best options after capping: go +1 somewhere or decap. This is a far better scenario for a thief to be in than any other class.

The another option is to send the thief far, but this is a guaranteed 1v1 at best. If your thief can handle it, great. But it’s riskier than taking close. And if you’re afraid of 1v1ing on close, then far isn’t necessarily a better option. Plus, you risk your team being outnumbered on mid. So going far at start and dying…yes, the loss of the match is your fault.

Sending your thief to mid at the opening is the worst choice. It will die to the AoE fest that mid becomes. It’s also risks the thief not doing the two things it is best at: decapping and +1ing. DH, Druid, Necro, ect. all contribute more to the initial mid fight than a thief could.

The only exceptions are if you have multiple thieves or mesmers. Mesmers can fill in the thief’s role, but I’d still rather have a Mesmer at initial mid than a thief any day.

Finally, unfortunately, there’s a real risk of when letting other classes take close, they will never leave it. Necros, DHs, and Druids for some reason get obsessed with camping close the whole match.

Pregame copypasta

in PvP

Posted by: Highlie.7641

Highlie.7641

Send the thief far or mid, never home.

Go Mid, blast someone into the downstate (or impact strike) Target and disengage, take the long way to far, IF it’s foefire there home defender is cresting the slope close to mid, (he won’t turn around if he’s smart), you get a decap while your team is fighting 4vs4 on mid. If your team is tanky you get a 3 cap. that’s about 150 point lead by the time there off re spawn.

Now it’s possible to send the thief home on maps like SKyhammer, Temple and Khlyo. but that is entirely do to map size / layout. and it’s still a horrible idea.

Pregame copypasta

in PvP

Huskyboy.1053

Ohhhhhk these responses have gotten really off-topic, if you want to debate the popular “thief goes close at start” strategy then start your own thread. If anybody has anything to contribute to the copypasta then please do so.

Pregame copypasta

in PvP

Posted by: Wargameur.6950

Wargameur.6950

best copy paste to make is “hi”.

main ~ Esper Jace (Thief )/ Ellundril Jiluan
(mesmer ) – EU [Teef]

Pregame copypasta

in PvP

Posted by: Rodzynald.5897

Rodzynald.5897

I use: “If we start to lose mid, go play side nodes” and it turns out to be quite efficient. Rotation is cruicial if the enemy team’s combat capabilities are greater.

Guardian is meant for jolly crusading.

Pregame copypasta

in PvP

Huskyboy.1053

I use: “If we start to lose mid, go play side nodes” and it turns out to be quite efficient. Rotation is cruicial if the enemy team’s combat capabilities are greater.

Winner winner chicken dinner. I’ll be using this.

Pregame copypasta

in PvP

Posted by: Mutaatti.2789

Mutaatti.2789

Send the thief far or mid, never home.

Go Mid, blast someone into the downstate (or impact strike) Target and disengage, take the long way to far, IF it’s foefire there home defender is cresting the slope close to mid, (he won’t turn around if he’s smart), you get a decap while your team is fighting 4vs4 on mid. If your team is tanky you get a 3 cap. that’s about 150 point lead by the time there off re spawn.

Now it’s possible to send the thief home on maps like SKyhammer, Temple and Khlyo. but that is entirely do to map size / layout. and it’s still a horrible idea.

Just ask thief to reroll. Ggwp ez match and 90% guaranteed win if enemy has thief. Dont tell to Sind.

Pregame copypasta

in PvP

Posted by: SaltAndLight.4652

SaltAndLight.4652

Thief home is generally not a good idea. Mesmer should take home if you have one.

To that end, I always greet my team and call the point I am going to at the start.

Example: “Hi team, I’ll take home”
“Please call targets and focus them down”

(edited by SaltAndLight.4652)