Primer into competitive PvP? (ESL, WTS, etc).

in PvP

Posted by: Midi.8359

Midi.8359

Q:

So I wanted to get into following competitive PvP but don’t know where to start. Could someone give me a introduction to the current scene? Or let me know where I could find one? Stuff like what teams (maybe players?) are good at the moment, where I can find tourney brackets/rankings, and what sites track the competitive PvP scene would be nice to know. Have tried following the ESL website but it seems like a bit much for me to understand without knowing what teams are favored at the moment or who’s playing in them.

Side note is that I hear about someone named Sizer a lot. Seems to be a s/d thief? Does Sizer still play/play on a competitive team? A lot of people seem to follow him and he never seems to be online whenever I try to catch his stream.

in PvP

Posted by: xemplifi.3524

xemplifi.3524

A:

I spoke with Sizer a number of weeks ago and he said he’s looking at slowly getting back into the competitive scene.

Teams to watch are currently TCG (The Civilized Gentlemen), oRNG (Orange Logo) and the Abjured. There are number of other great teams but these are quite often seen as the top 3, oRNG is possibly the best team currently. ESL, Academy Gaming and AspectGG all offer platforms for competitive tournaments and there are probably a number of more obscure 3rd party organisers.

If you want to start following the competitive scene I’d suggest catching up with the past WTS (World Tournament Series) matches on youtube as well as any of the other tournaments that have been recorded. Other than that keep an eye on the websites of the aforementioned organisers for when tournaments are scheduled, stream details etc…

in PvP

Posted by: Aeroxe.8140

Aeroxe.8140

Some tournies and useful posts are stickied up in the forums, and those might be a good start.

I personally think the best way to enjoy gw2esports is to first understand the game, and then play the game, integrating what you see in esports into your own play. Watch some live streams or vods of previous tournaments, taking note of things that casters emphasis. Follow a team you like, and maybe even ask them in game for tips to improve your own play.

Thief (main), ele, guard
Past member of most teams NA. Retired proleague season 1+2.
http://www.twitch.tv/aeroxe

in PvP

Posted by: Midi.8359

Midi.8359

Ah I see, didn’t notice the competitive tourneys were under the community ones. Also I already play PvP a decent amount, looking into following competitive to do as you suggested.

I’ll check out WTS. Probably focusing on finals/semi’s if the format is like that. Thanks for listing out the teams. I saw TCG under ESL’s website and The Abjured sounds familiar. Will keep an eye out for them.