Problems with Solo Q builds

in PvP

Posted by: Tasty Kiwi.6837

Tasty Kiwi.6837

After playing Solo Q for a while now I have come across some issues that happen game after game. Basically the team with the most Engineers/Rangers will win most of the time. Warriors not running Hammer/Bow will have a hard time. If you aren’t running a cheap build, such as MM Necro & Turret Engi . . . etc, then you won’t win or rather you will have a very hard time in winning. A team with 2 or more Mesmers is another broken thing because the spam of clones is just a little bit too much for some players, so the match results in a loss.

- So I want to ask, does playing SoloQ define whether you are a good player or not, considering the match-ups are so random in regards to which classes you are matched with/against.

I know i’m not the best pvp’r, however when I do tpvp with an organized group I tend to do good and win more than I do in SoloQ.

in PvP

Posted by: eleshazar.6902

eleshazar.6902

Solo Queue is affectionately called YOLO queue for a reason. It is almost as toxic as Hotjoin. People run the cheap builds: Condi PU mesmer, Turrent or condi spam engi, decap engi, spirit ranger, p/d SA thief, condi warrior, MM necro, d/d ele (most are condi based). I’m sure I’m missing some but you get the point.

The reason people run those builds in Solo Queue is because there isn’t the level of coordination that keeps those builds out of good Team Queue matches. Those builds (for the most part) suffer against a good team. They tend to have weaknesses that a coordinated team can exploit. Condi PU mesmer at mid? Send someone with condi cleanse since a pu mesmer can’t hold a point for long with all the stealth. Spirit ranger or MM necro nearby? Send your guy with AoE to hit them. Etc.

While the game is balanced the way that it is (i.e. toxic builds can stay as long as they don’t impact top tier competitive play) then Solo Queue being uncoordinated will always be a mess of only OP builds.

I personally play a zerk guardian most of the time now, and love playing him. But I’m frequently one of the only people in Solo Queue matches that is using a non condi build. I actually had a match yesterday where I asked if anyone in the map was using direct damage besides me. Everyone that answered said no. You will be hard pressed to find someone in Yolo Q not running some toxic cookie cutter build.

Unfortunately Anet’s attitude is: if you don’t like it, don’t play it. Find a coordinated team and play team queue instead.

All professions level 80| Champion Paragon, Phantom, Genius
Phoenix Ascendant [ASH] | Rank 80

in PvP

Posted by: muscarine.5136

muscarine.5136

This is actually gw1 all over again : it’s broken in RA but it’s not in TA, so let’s pretend everything is fine.

in PvP

Posted by: Anton.1769

Anton.1769

Solo Queue is affectionately called YOLO queue for a reason. It is almost as toxic as Hotjoin. People run the cheap builds: Condi PU mesmer,

Saw noone of condie PU mesmer in last ~50 soloQ.

in PvP

Posted by: Anton.1769

Anton.1769

A team with 2 or more Mesmers is another broken thing because the spam of clones is just a little bit too much for some players, so the match results in a loss.

2 mesmer OP??? What? More then 1 mesmer in team almost mean autoloss

Did you guys mean SoloQ? or probably hotjoin?

in PvP

Posted by: Simon.3794

Simon.3794

A team with 2 or more Mesmers is another broken thing because the spam of clones is just a little bit too much for some players, so the match results in a loss.

2 mesmer OP??? What? More then 1 mesmer in team almost mean autoloss

Did you guys mean SoloQ? or probably hotjoin?

or they had no thief, just saying.

in PvP

Posted by: dylan.5409

dylan.5409

There is a big difference in coordinated vs uncoordinated play as eleshazar pointed out.
In the latter, you want a build that is self sustaining and good vs the greatest amount of proff’s/builds as possible as the likelihood of getting a rez, even in mid team fight, is not guaranteed lol.
In hotjoin this usually translates as 75% warriors, thieves and mesmers. I havent played solo q for ages, but im guessing you could add engineer and ele for slighly more team oriented builds.

in PvP

Posted by: jportell.2197

jportell.2197

You wanna know the problems with soloque builds? People think that their UBER L33T 1v1 build will carry all matches. Then they think that as an SA thief they can push far and keep the point decapped. If you want to do well in soloque then run a build that is team friendly.

• Bunker/shout/virtues guard
  • Might stacking and battle standard warrior
  • Triple kit engi,
  • Some form of necro outside of MM (most useless team fight build in this flipping game)
  • s/d acro or d/p crit strikes thief with shadow refuge
  • If you run mesmer run portal,
  • d/d ele or bunker staff if you can make it work
  • spirit ranger

If people stopped running silly builds that bring nothing to a team besides a little bit of dps and focused on a little more team utility you would be surprised how much better your soloque will be.

The more people think about what a build they make will bring to a team or team fight the more likely you are to win. Selfish builds or uber leet 1v1 builds are generally useless to a team and should not be used in a team format game period.

Johnny The Gray
GASM’s Bunker Mesmer

in PvP

Posted by: Charak.9761

Charak.9761

If you’re not playing an Engi, you can’t pvp.

We just gotta wait until games are just fully engi metas before anet fixes the problem.

in PvP

Posted by: Yasi.9065

Yasi.9065

If you’re not playing an Engi, you can’t pvp.

We just gotta wait until games are just fully engi metas before anet fixes the problem.

But engi is soooooooo under dog ! And soooooooooooooo difficult to play…. not.

in PvP

Posted by: NevirSayDie.6235

NevirSayDie.6235

Yeah, it would be really crazy if a staff ele dominated from the #1 position or something weird like that. Yup, definitely impossible.

In all seriousness, good solo queue builds come in a variety of shapes and sizes. There’s actually a lot of value in a pure teamfight-carry build like staff ele. Quickly turning teamfights can snowball an entire match instantly.

Of course, solo-artist type builds are more common as solo queue heroes, understandably so. And I do agree that ultra-low skill floor builds like full-cheese engineer or warrior are a problem.

in PvP

Posted by: NeXeD.3042

NeXeD.3042

Managed to get a powermancer into top 100.. now every game I get into is hambows and engineers with the odd spirit ranger or staff ele thrown in. I have a new hatred for engineers. And it’s not eve the turret ones. I had to make an engineer yesterday just to figure out what the hell I’m supposed to do since I keep getting told necro directly counters engineer.

Attention Moderators I am not
S P E E D Starr #0 Necro NA or
I Am NeXeD awful d/D ele NA

in PvP

Posted by: lunyboy.8672

lunyboy.8672

And I do agree that ultra-low skill floor builds like full-cheese engineer or warrior are a problem.

Ultra-low skill floor… on Engineer.

Riiiiight.

Miss Fisthammer – Engineer | Urgard Fistorsen – Guardian
Physti – Elementalist | Fistful of Blades – Thief
[WHIP] Quaggan Slavers – HoD

in PvP

Posted by: jportell.2197

jportell.2197

And I do agree that ultra-low skill floor builds like full-cheese engineer or warrior are a problem.

Riiiiight.

There are these things called turrets. That the engineer places then forgets.

Johnny The Gray
GASM’s Bunker Mesmer

in PvP

Posted by: NevirSayDie.6235

NevirSayDie.6235

Riiiiight.

Well, it used to be impossible to create a low-skill-floor engineer build, but then came balthazar runes, the current version of IP, and projectile-reflecting turrets. Hopefully, engineers will go back to being that profession that is hard, but fun and effective, soon. That’s more or less what they are in team queue, but team queue essentially doesn’t exist atm—just solo queue and solo/duo queue.

Granted, engineer’s super simple build options aren’t really top-tier like warrior’s super-simple builds are, but it’s still a bit more cheese than I’d like to see. And as I said, staff ele players have done extremely well in solo queue recently, along with plenty of other non-cheese builds.

in PvP

Posted by: Galsia.4102

Galsia.4102

Managed to get a powermancer into top 100.. now every game I get into is hambows and engineers with the odd spirit ranger or staff ele thrown in. I have a new hatred for engineers. And it’s not eve the turret ones. I had to make an engineer yesterday just to figure out what the hell I’m supposed to do since I keep getting told necro directly counters engineer.

Condi-necros counter Engineers due to condi-transfer skills coupled with weak removal access.

Thief | Warrior | Engineer
Galsia | Jäshin | Çyndelle
[KK] – Henge of Denravi

in PvP

Posted by: NeXeD.3042

NeXeD.3042

Yeah I get that, I just feel like deathly swarm is so predictable the engi just needs to watch for it and it’s gg. I know plague signet and the staff 4 are still there and I don’t have much trouble landing those. Although burning that stun break is hard.

Attention Moderators I am not
S P E E D Starr #0 Necro NA or
I Am NeXeD awful d/D ele NA

in PvP

Posted by: Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

It is almost as toxic as Hotjoin. People run the cheap builds:

errr no. people actually seldom complain, whine, rage in hotjoin nowadays. they fix the problems themselves with spectator mode and auto balance.

in PvP

Posted by: Romek.4201

Romek.4201

And as I said, staff ele players have done extremely well in solo queue recently, along with plenty of other non-cheese builds.

dont say stuff like this or all this champion legioneres play for the next weeks staff ele and make this game even worse^^

only some people can play this …..

in PvP

Posted by: Gorni.1764

Gorni.1764

And as I said, staff ele players have done extremely well in solo queue recently, along with plenty of other non-cheese builds.

dont say stuff like this or all this champion legioneres play for the next weeks staff ele and make this game even worse^^

only some people can play this …..

staff eles can kick kitten in team-Q but are usually unplayable in solo-Q because they simply can’t fight alone and everyone in your team will ignore this fact. People also rarely utilize your (water-)combo-fields which could be game-turning.
I’ve had some nice games where I was roaming together with a thief for example and engi/guard holding mid and close but usually I end up having to defend points on my own since nobody else cares and then I (as GC staff ele) get rofl-stomped by nearly every class.
One of the best games I’ve ever had was together with another staff-ele. Was one of my most glorious victories ^^. However as said before, coordination and teamplay is important when you want to run such builds… and it’s called SOLO-Q for a reason ..

Rachat – Elementalist (Abbadon’s Mouth)