Profs are locked, prof stacking not solved?

in PvP

Posted by: Cynz.9437

Cynz.9437

So i am sitting in match with 3 thieves on my team vs stacked DH team but if you try to switch character, it say error due to character being locked in the match. So i can only log in match on the character i am in match with.

What is the point of prof locking when teams still have stacked professions???

All is Vain~
[Teef] guild :>

in PvP

Posted by: Otokomae.9356

Otokomae.9356

It’s pretty bad. I mentioned in another thread that I’ve had 4 matches since S6 started that had 3 Thieves vs 3 Guards. Those matches are completely lopsided, of course. We had one match where the Thieves were able to out-rotate the other team, & we ended up winning, with 2 of us tied for Top Kills with just 1 kill each. But the other 3 matches went very differently…

Bakuon/Bakuon Thief [MAS]/ ex-[ATac]

in PvP

Cynz.9437

It’s pretty bad. I mentioned in another thread that I’ve had 4 matches since S6 started that had 3 Thieves vs 3 Guards. Those matches are completely lopsided, of course. We had one match where the Thieves were able to out-rotate the other team, & we ended up winning, with 2 of us tied for Top Kills with just 1 kill each. But the other 3 matches went very differently…

My problem is game doesn’t allow me to switch characters in match. So i am stuck with 3 thieves vs 3 DHs…. WHO THOUGHT THIS WAS A GOOD IDEA????

All is Vain~

(edited by Cynz.9437)

in PvP

Posted by: Azure The Heartless.3261

Azure The Heartless.3261

My problem is i can’t switch classes mid of match. So i am stuck with 3 thieves vs 3 DHs…. WHO THOUGHT THIS WAS A GOOD IDEA????

More than half of the community who took the time to vote on the poll that Arenanet put out, asking them if they want it, despite many of us protesting the idea for this specific purpose.

Get ready for DH stack matches. At least Arenanet will know what classes the players feel most confident playing so they can add that to their metrics.

As for right now, though, nobody wants to deal with the elephant in the room called “you’re bad at the game. until you put in the time to get better at it asking for random changes to pvp matches will not help your ego”. Esq.

Resident Disgruntled, Coffee-drinking Charr.
Zarin Mistcloak(THF) Valkyrie Mistblade(WAR) Kossori Mistwalker(REV) Durendal Mistward(GRD)
I used to think (build op, pls nerf) like you, but then I took a nerf to the knee.

(edited by Azure The Heartless.3261)

in PvP

Posted by: Altie.4571

Altie.4571

the profession is ONLY locked if the match has started or is (I believe) 10s from starting. So you have over a minute to swap.

Please don’t spread misinformation. If you started a match with that comp, you lose the right to complain. And the poll didn’t pass, people didn’t want profession based ranking so there is no profession based matchmaking!

When scientists discover the center of the universe,
a lot of people will be disappointed they are not it.

in PvP

Cynz.9437

My problem is i can’t switch classes mid of match. So i am stuck with 3 thieves vs 3 DHs…. WHO THOUGHT THIS WAS A GOOD IDEA????

More than half of the community who took the time to vote on the poll that Arenanet put out, asking them if they want it, despite many of us protesting the idea for this specific purpose.

Get ready for DH stack matches. At least Arenanet will know what classes the players feel most confident playing so they can add that to their metrics.

As for right now, though, nobody wants to deal with the elephant in the room called “you’re bad at the game. until you put in the time to get better at it asking for random changes to pvp matches will not help your ego”. Esq.

I don’t mind prof locking, but it was supposed to reduce chance for stacked profs in matches which it didn’t. They just locked professions but did absolutely nothing to algo that stacks profs.

All is Vain~

in PvP

Azure The Heartless.3261

I don’t mind prof locking, but it was supposed to reduce chance for stacked profs in matches which it didn’t. They just locked professions but did absolutely nothing to algo that stacks profs.

I dont think anyone ever said they were going to reduce the chance that classes be stacked / enforce class locking/ matchmaking. Afaik, that was wishful thinking on the part of the community without any solid evidence that it would take place.

If I’m wrong though, please correct me.

Zarin Mistcloak(THF) Valkyrie Mistblade(WAR) Kossori Mistwalker(REV) Durendal Mistward(GRD)
I used to think (build op, pls nerf) like you, but then I took a nerf to the knee.

in PvP

Cynz.9437

I dont think anyone ever said they were going to reduce the chance that classes be stacked / enforce class locking/ matchmaking. Afaik, that was wishful thinking on the part of the community without any solid evidence that it would take place.

It doesn’t matter whether it was wishful thinking or not, whole reason why locking profs came in picture is BECAUSE devs said they can’t do anything about prof stacking unless they lock profs. Instead of addressing stacking issue they just locked profs.

All is Vain~

in PvP

Posted by: Natto.5819

Natto.5819

You can still switch characters.

in PvP

Azure The Heartless.3261

It doesn’t matter whether it was wishful thinking or not, whole reason why locking profs came in picture is BECAUSE devs said they can’t do anything about prof stacking unless they lock profs. Instead of addressing stacking issue they just locked profs.

… ?

It does matter because we’re dealing with profession locking without team balance right now.

This is in fact the only situation where a quote of a dev saying they intended to balance the profession spread along with locking would matter.

You can still switch characters.

Can you? In a match?

in PvP

Natto.5819

Yes. When teams is selected, you can switch. If match is started, then you can’t. So if your team argue too long on who will switch, you stuck.

in PvP

Azure The Heartless.3261

Yes. When teams is selected, you can switch. If match is started, then you can’t. So if your team argue too long on who will switch, you stuck.

Oh. I guess this can be mitigated by just..building faster?
Maybe some allowance for preset builds can be given to make class switching less painful on a time limit, but other than that figure out what you need and press buttons.

in PvP

Posted by: Lord Hammer Hand.4815

Lord Hammer Hand.4815

switched before match starts, problem solved

Pacific Islander Legion [NoyP]
Black Gate
Ruthless Legend

in PvP

Posted by: Vicky.4563

Vicky.4563

There’s this button you can press. It’s default is [B] I believe. When you press that button, it lets you see what your opponent’s team comp is.

Before you start the match, you have about a minute to spare. This is known as the “Warm up”. You can run around the map to familiarize yourself with it, or spend that time strategizing with your team. You can also use that time to press B and see your opponents team and switch as needed.

Once the gates close and the 10 second timer begins, you can no longer swap characters.

I hope that helps, feel free to ask me any more questions if you need. I’m always happy to help newcomers to the game and PvP

in PvP

Cynz.9437

There’s this button you can press. It’s default is [B] I believe. When you press that button, it lets you see what your opponent’s team comp is.

Before you start the match, you have about a minute to spare. This is known as the “Warm up”. You can run around the map to familiarize yourself with it, or spend that time strategizing with your team. You can also use that time to press B and see your opponents team and switch as needed.

Once the gates close and the 10 second timer begins, you can no longer swap characters.

I hope that helps, feel free to ask me any more questions if you need. I’m always happy to help newcomers to the game and PvP

Once again, why lock profs when prof stacking is not addressed? Give me one good reason since you are so smart and like to help “newcomers”.

All is Vain~

(edited by Cynz.9437)

in PvP

Vicky.4563

Once again, why lock profs when prof stacking is not addressed?

But professions aren’t locked. Or at least, they’re not locked before the game starts. So why would they care about professions stacking when everyone is free to swap classes?

If you want to be a cheating cheater who swaps midgame, that’s another story.

in PvP

Natto.5819

I think GM say you can’t switch character in the middle of a match now to prevent easy achievement with characters you didn’t play with. So if you’re strong on Warrior, you can’t use that to score a lot, then switch to Thief and get credits.

So you need to switch before match starts.

in PvP

Cynz.9437

But professions aren’t locked. Or at least, they’re not locked before the game starts. So why would they care about professions stacking when everyone is free to swap classes?

Because you don’t know what builds enemy runs or your own team sometimes. If swapping mid match is cheating why didn’t whole pvp community not get banned for “cheating” since we all have been doing it for years now?
Once again, give me one good reason why profs should be locked during the match when prof stacking is not addressed.

I think GM say you can’t switch character in the middle of a match now to prevent easy achievement with characters you didn’t play with. So if you’re strong on Warrior, you can’t use that to score a lot, then switch to Thief and get credits.

Let’s assume it is true, it would force players to play classes they don’t know for achieves and ruin matches for other players? Great solution…. it just provides easy wins for enemy team /facepalm.

All is Vain~

(edited by Cynz.9437)

in PvP

Vicky.4563

Because you don’t know what builds enemy runs or your own team sometimes. If swapping mid match is cheating why didn’t whole pvp community not get banned for “cheating” since we all have been doing it for years now?
Once again, give me one good reason why profs should be locked during the match when prof stacking is not addressed.

Because people used it to cheese the dailies and especially the achievements. That was not as intended and Anet doesn’t ban every cheater; especially when it’s so prevalent. They just change things up to prevent exploits.

Same reason why they didn’t ban every ranger who abused the unblockable SoW bug or Guards who abused the damage modifier bug.

in PvP

Cynz.9437

Because people used it to cheese the dailies and especially the achievements. That was not as intended and Anet doesn’t ban every cheater; especially when it’s so prevalent. They just change things up to prevent exploits.

Same reason why they didn’t ban every ranger who abused the unblockable SoW bug or Guards who abused the damage modifier bug.

Ok, then i think prof stacking is exploiting and should be fixed. Why is Anet not addressing it?

All is Vain~

in PvP

Natto.5819

Ok, then i think prof stacking is exploiting and should be fixed. Why is Anet not addressing it?

Somewhere GM said they won’t fix that, since you can switch character before match.

in PvP

Posted by: Shaogin.2679

Shaogin.2679

Let’s assume it is true, it would force players to play classes they don’t know for achieves and ruin matches for other players? Great solution…. it just provides easy wins for enemy team /facepalm.

As mentioned above, one of the main reasons for this happening was due to players playing the majority of the match with their main, then swapping to a class they don’t play well right before the win to get the achievement.

Also, really not good gameplay at all to be able to swap in the middle of a match just so you can counter someone’s specific build. If your team fails to swap at the start to give your team a decent comp to play with, then that is all on your team.

Anet wanted to lock class swapping completely and open up the door for class stacking limitations and class specific mmrs, but you guys didn’t want that. Anet also made it very clear that despite the poll results, they would not allow class swapping mid game or during the 10 second countdown. So stop complaining and enjoy what you asked for.

Doc Von Doom – Asuran Necromancer
Gate of Madness
Contribute to the Wiki MetaBattle Builds

in PvP

Cynz.9437

As mentioned above, one of the main reasons for this happening was due to players playing the majority of the match with their main, then swapping to a class they don’t play well right before the win to get the achievement.

Also, really not good gameplay at all to be able to swap in the middle of a match just so you can counter someone’s specific build. If your team fails to swap at the start to give your team a decent comp to play with, then that is all on your team.

Anet wanted to lock class swapping completely and open up the door for class stacking limitations and class specific mmrs, but you guys didn’t want that. Anet also made it very clear that despite the poll results, they would not allow class swapping mid game or during the 10 second countdown. So stop complaining and enjoy what you asked for.

How do you know what i asked for? Assuming much?

Once again, the change didn’t do anything but profit teams that face players forced into profs they don’t play. One way or another, it is in a sense exploiting/abuse by Anet’s defintion. They didn’t fix anything but just made it worse.

All is Vain~

in PvP

Vicky.4563

Ok. First you should be a player that actually matters, like a streamer or a tournament player. Second, you need to make a loud public post, maybe somewhere on reddit and get lots of people to agree with your point of view. Then you should threaten to quit the game unless they fix it.

That will produce the results you desire!

in PvP

Posted by: Ithilwen.1529

Ithilwen.1529

Sadly, folks voted that way. Had it gone the other way, we could also have had profession MMR.

So, people choose the easiest/most likely to succeed profs knowing they’ll be locked in. It’s gonna be another long season of exploiting and farming.

I question the wisdom of that.. and of messing with a major balance change in the form of sigils. The current suggestions will allow heavy dps power builds to also stack condis. This will effectively narrow the “meta” even further.

Of course, I’m certain the balance team would have an easier time if Thief, Mesmer, Ele and Necro were pretty much relegated to t3 at best. In effect, I see us heading that way.. with power burst warrior also stacking bleed (for example.)

Mesmerising Girl

in PvP

Cynz.9437

Ok. First you should be a player that actually matters, like a streamer or a tournament player. Second, you need to make a loud public post, maybe somewhere on reddit and get lots of people to agree with your point of view. Then you should threaten to quit the game unless they fix it.

That will produce the results you desire!

But random DH was complaining about bs breaking aegis and next thing Anet adds CD on all stealth spells.
Random no name asks for revealed sigil and Anet is eager to implement it.
I don’t think your formula is absolute.

All is Vain~

in PvP

Vicky.4563

But random DH was complaining about bs breaking aegis and next thing Anet adds CD on all stealth spells.
Random no name asks for revealed sigil and Anet is eager to implement it.
I don’t think your formula is absolute.

Contrary to popular belief, I do think Anet occasionally comes up with balance ideas on their own. Whether they’re good ideas or not is another story.

in PvP

Shaogin.2679

Once again, the change didn’t do anything but profit teams that face players forced into profs they don’t play. One way or another, it is in a sense exploiting/abuse by Anet’s defintion. They didn’t fix anything but just made it worse.

I don’t assume anything, but maybe I should have been more clear. The last comment was direct more in a “you all” manner, being that the majority of players that I am not a part of voted against restricting class swapping.

And the system isn’t worse at all. It is still basically the same, as the players asked for, but now you can’t swap mid game to counter another player’s build, which you shouldn’t be allowed to do anyways. If your team can’t put together a decent comp to fight against the enemy’s comp (which you can clearly see aside from specific build) then that is a failure of the team. You can’t really blame anet for this. They explicitly stated what they were going to do, asked for player input, and followed through. None of this is Anet’s fault.

Gate of Madness

in PvP

Posted by: Reaper Alim.4176

Reaper Alim.4176

I don’t assume anything, but maybe I should have been more clear. The last comment was direct more in a “you all” manner, being that the majority of players that I am not a part of voted against restricting class swapping.

And the system isn’t worse at all. It is still basically the same, as the players asked for, but now you can’t swap mid game to counter another player’s build, which you shouldn’t be allowed to do anyways. If your team can’t put together a decent comp to fight against the enemy’s comp (which you can clearly see aside from specific build) then that is a failure of the team. You can’t really blame anet for this. They explicitly stated what they were going to do, asked for player input, and followed through. None of this is Anet’s fault.

So GW2 is no longer being developed by the developers? Ok fine how about ANet release private servers to the game. So the players and modders then develop the game on their own servers. More then likely would do a million times better then ANet.

I maybe a troll with class.
But at least I admit it!
PoF guys get ready for PvE joys

in PvP

Shaogin.2679

So GW2 is no longer being developed by the developers? Ok fine how about ANet release private servers to the game. So the players and modders then develop the game on their own servers. More then likely would do a million times better then ANet.

How do you go from, “Anet asked for player input” to “GW2 is no longer being developed by the devlopers”? You don’t have to really answer that, I get it already, doom and gloom, game dying, go play something else yadda yadda yadda your normal little speach right?

Also, the majority of “balance” suggestions in the pvp forums are just horrible, often due to a lack of knowledge or selfish motivations. So, no, I have no faith that a community-ran server would be much better.

Gate of Madness

in PvP

Posted by: Vicariuz.1605

Vicariuz.1605

I would just like to point out that if the Poll thread wasn’t destroyed it would be very simple to cite a MULTITUDE of posts regarding these exact issues and why Anet’s current development strategy is not going to work. But, conveniently, that’s not possible.

Dev response was that they would “consider” “soft stack prevention” which means there would still be stacked classes, had the poll gone “yes.” That means that Anet has NO INTENTION on preventing the stacking, plain and simple.

In the deleted thread, there were several posts, that identified the consequences of a “No switch” system coupled with negligible frequency of balance patches with historically poor PvP development. One of those consequences would be; queuing dh/war/druid (though now nerfed slightly) when solo, as these classes have the best overall match ups and ambiguous roles; leading to higher winrates and quicker rewards. The ease of use and, due to sophomoric levels of balance, varying impact levels of professions should also be clearly noted.

Now this doesn’t mean that the top 100 is going to be only dh/war/druid. It means that for the MAJORITY of players, you will see those classes stacked more often then not. On the ends of the spectrum you wont see this as much, or to an effective degree as to be negligible. The top players will swap to what is manageable or favored for their comp vs enemy comp. The bottom players will play whatever they want because they are not playing to win. Neither is better or worse, that’s just how it is. Now, the entire center section of the spectrum, is going to find themselves in matches with and against people who “understand” builds, “know” what meta is, etc. They’ve played a few matches before and have an average understanding of the game. What’s the most logical choice for these players? Play something that does high damage with long periods of invulnerability, or “damage off,” sub-consciously or not, without a doubt, that will be their choice. It’s the “right” choice.

And in regards to people saying that swapping mid match is untenable, impossible, the worst…. Overwatch seems to do pretty well with it, but they also have some semblance/direction of balance.

in PvP

Posted by: Saiyan.1704

Saiyan.1704

The whole reason that came into the picture was because players would swap mid game, changing statistics, as well as other debilitating issues to in-game quality.

If a YES vote won, Anet could have improved the Class-Stacking issue more in depth, with numerous other Matchmaking algorithms to choose from…

Oh but look what we have here, people are not swapping; we’re still experiencing stacked classes.

…. A Yes vote would have at least given us a brand new profession leaderboard to satisfy our groins.

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

in PvP

Posted by: Mirrodin.8729

Mirrodin.8729

I would just like to point out that if the Poll thread wasn’t destroyed it would be very simple to cite a MULTITUDE of posts regarding these exact issues and why Anet’s current development strategy is not going to work. But, conveniently, that’s not possible.

Dev response was that they would “consider” “soft stack prevention” which means there would still be stacked classes, had the poll gone “yes.” That means that Anet has NO INTENTION on preventing the stacking, plain and simple.

In the deleted thread, there were several posts, that identified the consequences of a “No switch” system coupled with negligible frequency of balance patches with historically poor PvP development. One of those consequences would be; queuing dh/war/druid (though now nerfed slightly) when solo, as these classes have the best overall match ups and ambiguous roles; leading to higher winrates and quicker rewards. The ease of use and, due to sophomoric levels of balance, varying impact levels of professions should also be clearly noted.

Now this doesn’t mean that the top 100 is going to be only dh/war/druid. It means that for the MAJORITY of players, you will see those classes stacked more often then not. On the ends of the spectrum you wont see this as much, or to an effective degree as to be negligible. The top players will swap to what is manageable or favored for their comp vs enemy comp. The bottom players will play whatever they want because they are not playing to win. Neither is better or worse, that’s just how it is. Now, the entire center section of the spectrum, is going to find themselves in matches with and against people who “understand” builds, “know” what meta is, etc. They’ve played a few matches before and have an average understanding of the game. What’s the most logical choice for these players? Play something that does high damage with long periods of invulnerability, or “damage off,” sub-consciously or not, without a doubt, that will be their choice. It’s the “right” choice.

And in regards to people saying that swapping mid match is untenable, impossible, the worst….* Overwatch seems to do pretty well with it, but they also have some semblance/direction of balance.*

unlike overwatch, gw2 has builds, also you can not STACK THE SAME HERO which is very important (unless you play arcade which is out of the question since is not competitive), also the downside of constant switch is everytime you do that stuff, your ultime goes to 0% meaning a bad switch or constant mindless switching can do more damage than good for your team in the end, to make it to good implementation, something to balance should be like all the skills are on cd when the switch is done or something like that, just a random idea

in PvP

Posted by: steelheart.7386

steelheart.7386

Give me a break what a load. So we are supposed to believe you log out in the middle of matches to change classes based on what you think people are running after watching them play a bit? First of all to do that you would be putting your team at a -1 for upwards of 30-40 seconds. Seriously professions are not “locked” almost every class has only a couple viable builds if that. You have plenty of time at the start of the match to see what the other team is running and change if you feel like you need to. There are good reasons why they made this change.

(edited by steelheart.7386)

in PvP

Posted by: Daishi.6027

Daishi.6027

My problem is game doesn’t allow me to switch characters in match. So i am stuck with 3 thieves vs 3 DHs…. WHO THOUGHT THIS WAS A GOOD IDEA????

The solution is to make the DH and thief matchup (among many others) more even.

“I control time and space; you can’t break free.~”
“Maybe I was the illusion all along!”

(edited by Daishi.6027)

in PvP

Posted by: Ithilwen.1529

Ithilwen.1529

The solution is to make the DH and thief matchup (among many others) more even.

That would be the solution. ANET hasn’t accomplished that.There are two basic paths to making even matches:

Careful balancing of the classes, taking special care to leave out personal biases.

Making all classes similar. We’ve been seeing a strong trend of simplifying and making the classes more and more alike. I think this is to the detriment of the game.

Mesmerising Girl

(edited by Ithilwen.1529)

in PvP

Posted by: SlimChance.6593

SlimChance.6593

Only played 3 matches tonight… out of those 3 matches with a total of 30 players…

16 – Guardians/DH’s
&
7 – Thief/DD’s

yeah.. doesn’t really make me to want to keep playing.

Eccho, Echo Oread – Mesmers (Yak’s Bend)
My EchoRupt Build - Forum Post

in PvP

Posted by: Daishi.6027

Daishi.6027

The funny thing is, A-net is just going to take the easy way out and just re-enable it, instead of making it a staple and balancing around it.

Wish we had a PTR right about now.

“I control time and space; you can’t break free.~”
“Maybe I was the illusion all along!”

in PvP

Posted by: Vicariuz.1605

Vicariuz.1605

unlike overwatch, gw2 has builds, also you can not STACK THE SAME HERO which is very important (unless you play arcade which is out of the question since is not competitive), also the downside of constant switch is everytime you do that stuff, your ultime goes to 0% meaning a bad switch or constant mindless switching can do more damage than good for your team in the end, to make it to good implementation, something to balance should be like all the skills are on cd when the switch is done or something like that, just a random idea

“Overwatch seems to do pretty well with it, but they also have some semblance/direction of balance.”
Bolded the last sentence of my post for visibility, you seem to have missed it. Currently, there are so few meta builds available for a class that they might as well be concrete, essentially no different than a hero kit from OW, it’s acceptable to assume that in plat+ the vast majority of players will be running meta, or very slightly tweaked meta. The risks of swapping are known to the person doing it, so if it’s a bad swap, that is a misplay on that person, not the system; it’s pretty vital to be able to distinguish that.

Give me a break what a load. So we are supposed to believe you log out in the middle of matches to change classes based on what you think people are running after watching them play a bit? First of all to do that you would be putting your team at a -1 for upwards of 30-40 seconds. Seriously professions are not “locked” almost every class has only a couple viable builds if that. You have plenty of time at the start of the match to see what the other team is running and change if you feel like you need to. There are good reasons why they made this change.

Yes, obviously in low skill divisions it can be very detrimental, you will have a higher chance to win, numerically, if the enemy team has 3+DH and you are a thief, or you have a Necro on your team with zero support, if you switch to an Ele; as one example. You cannot tell what traits/rune/sigils/utility skills your opponents take before you engage them. Once you find out that OH 2 of the enemy DH are burn and not power you should PROBABLY switch off your druid. Yet another example as to why having the choice to switch, is a good thing.

In other news, it does not take me more than 10 seconds to swap a character, because I don’t have a garbage computer, so your argument that you leave your team -1 for an extended period of time is false.

As for the last part, you completely misunderstand what “profession lock” actually means so I will refrain from commenting further; except to correct you regarding being able to see what the enemy team is running, which is also completely false, you can INFER or GUESS what they are running based on their class icon, but it is not currently possible to inspect enemy team players so I truly have zero idea how you came up with this.

in PvP

Posted by: Spartacus.3192

Spartacus.3192

You have over a minute to switch characters once map loads. If you haven’t swapped by then you got no one to blame but yourself.

Your typical average gamer -
“Buff my main class, nerf everything else. "