Punishing the "Better" player

in PvP

Posted by: Carrera.9016

Carrera.9016

This is a true story.

Sometimes when we roll a pvp match, we get placed with other people that arent exactly the best teammates ever…

They die in seconds, they have bad twitch skill, bad templates characters, etc.

You all rush middle, 4 at middle die, the one who went home get killed by one guy from opposite team and you end with that classic score of:

Enemy team 50-100 and your team – 0-10 points in like the 1st minute of the match.

If you have a lot of experience in pvp you know that the match is lost.

People dont change skill in middle game, people dont evolve and became better players in middle game, people dont change templates, skills, weapons and go Meta in middle game.

When you get a score like that and realize that the other team is way more powerful than yours, you know its a sure loss and you accept it.

“…..you know its a sure loss and you accept it…”

Or not.

Someone instead of just sitting out or instead of heading mid and dieing many times until the score hit 500 they may just cry, yell, and logout, close the game client, etc.

That guy will be punished and will lose RATE and will earn a dishoror time.

The other 4 guys won’t since that one disconnected and they will get the benefits since they had a “DC”.

Instead of realizing that they are far inferior to the other team, they will keep trying and instead of letting it end fast and hope for a better placement on next battle they will keep dieing over and over, prolonging the match duration which will in turn harming both teams.

And the “Better” player, the guy who did the “Right Thing” is the only one who will lose time, rating and earn dishonor.

This is wrong. Very wrong.

in PvP

Posted by: UmbraNoctis.1907

UmbraNoctis.1907

Having a bad start and being behind 100 or even more points doesn’t equal a guaranteed loss. Unless somebody quits and makes the game 4vs5. In this case the quitting player is the only one to blame and therefore he should be the one who gets punished.
Without punishing quitting/afking players a lot more winnable games would turn into unwinnable 4vs5.

in PvP

Posted by: Struct.7453

Struct.7453

or some players just farm spvp so that they can move on to other games modes with modified ascended pieces, enough to make that 1% difference.

in PvP

Posted by: Jitsuryoku.9038

Jitsuryoku.9038

I’m not sure what you are suggesting here, but I’ve seen a few matches that started out 30-150 and then ended up 500-300 (about 5-10% of my matches have a team that flips the starting score).

That often happens because people are caught by surprise (for insntace, you go mid, burst a necro and then suddenly you’ve got 20 stacks of burn, because there was a burn guardian), but are able to realize what went wrong and adjust to that.

On the flip side, stop caring about the “better” players sacrificing themselves and focus on dragging the “bad” ones down. I rarely see people leave games to save other people score of other players (in fact, over 400+ games it happened twice and I’m not so sure it was intentional), but I see bad players getting carried all the time. If bad players dropped ranks for being bad, the “good” players wouldn’t have to sacrifice themselves.

in PvP

Posted by: Wolfric.9380

Wolfric.9380

never give up … OK mostly ^^.
I have seen games swing after a disaster start. I imidiatley adapt and i have seen it yesterday where i were concerned that two thiefs on our side are bad (asked for swap). And we for shure could not hold mid in the beginning but the thiefs adapted and disengaged realy well and we zommed over the map. It was a great match. Necro and ele (me) could win anny 2:2 and hold long enough 2:3 to the thiefs to join. So great when i fight over a point for 30 seconds 1:2 seeing i im going down on 10, 9, 8.. bam oponent down the thiefs are here and off again leting me the stomp … We got behind but totaly outrotated and basically anihilated them … And even with not optimal comp at least four of us were competent with their class.
But shure you need the team for that ….
And yes maybe we carried our Nr.5 and maybe he even did´t know what happened.

(edited by Wolfric.9380)

in PvP

Posted by: draxynnic.3719

draxynnic.3719

As other people have said…

That 0-100 opener puts your team at a big disadvantage, but it isn’t necessarily a certain loss. It can happen from one or two people misjudging what the enemy team is capable of (or just generally kittening up their opening) but after getting burned, they do adjust their tactics. Or the other team might be really good at winning that big fight at center, but when the match settles into the rotation and they can’t afford to have 4 or even 3 players on any point at once, that lead gets eroded away.

I’ve seen games start like that turn around by the end quite a few times, on both sides. Sometimes I’m the one who kittened up at the start, then I adjust my tactics and we win from there.

To those who think Scarlet hate means she’s succeeded as a villain:
People don’t hate Scarlet like Game of Thrones fans hate Joffrey.
They hate her the way Star Wars fans hate Jar Jar Binks.

in PvP

Posted by: Nightshade.2570

Nightshade.2570

Yes you are punishing your team mates who by trying, by that simple fact, are the “better players” because they are at least learning something.

There are very obvious times as pointed out by people above like 4v5’s when it is pointless to continue. However, the enemy team opening with a 50-100 lead is NOT one of them.

This shows your lack of knowledge of the game. In fact this kind of lead actually makes the enemy team lazy and it is more possible to take back the map from them.

The number one thing I see is enemy teams who have a solid lead who lose it because they got sloppy and stopped staying on top of the map because they thought they had a certain win. However if your team at that moment switches thier tactics and only holds sides or rotates and just decaps and basically changes thier game play you will absolutely have a shot at winning the game.

Going AFK at the beginning of the match is punishing people for not being up to your percieved standards. It is an assumption that you were the best player on the team. Sure people do dumb things sometimes but that doesnt mean they will always continue to do them.

Sometimes a bit of guidance, “lets play sides” or pinging where you need help can turn things around. Are there times when it doesnt matter and your team is out manned, yes! yes definitely! The matchmaker definitely sets up these matches however, you can not know this in the first fight of the game.

There are so many nuances for example, you may have a great rotational team but not able to hold thier own in a mid fight, this is not because of skill because of team comps. Or you may not be able to out rotate them but your team may be great at holding points you have to adjust on the fly and as you go.

Stop for a moment and reconsider, use the mistakes that your team makes as a learning curve, and in fact actually fight out some of these “hopeless” games so you can learn how to work with a team and in fact improve yourself as a PvPer.

(edited by Nightshade.2570)

in PvP

Posted by: Solstace.2514

Solstace.2514

Quitting out after the first 30 seconds is doing the right thing? How about having enough maturity to play the remaining 5 to 7 minutes of the game? Is it that hard? You’d be surprised how many matches flip if you actually stick around.

in PvP

Posted by: Najten.2418

Najten.2418

I’ve been on teams that managed to turn 210-420 “lost cause” to a 500-489 victory so yeah, never ever quit. You do your team a big disservice by even assuming you’re going to lose. If you immediately assume a negative attitude, DC on purpose, or start moaning about “nub players” in chat, after nothing but a bad opening, you probably shouldn’t be PvP:ing.

in PvP

Posted by: Bigpapasmurf.5623

Bigpapasmurf.5623

There have been matches where 2 of our players quit due to the opponents having a 100 – 400 score. Us 3 that were left dominated the other team thanks to our mobile chrono and their portal/skill. Was breathtaking win of 500-497. It can happen despite being down a lot and down 1-2 members…gotta keep trying and adapt to the situation.

- Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/MC_Celestia
- I am currently a main thief roamer for SF in WvW. LOVE ME!
- {SOAP} Solo/Havoc roamer, lover of good fights

in PvP

Posted by: Trevor Boyer.6524

Trevor Boyer.6524

Bad start with nuclear team wipe isn’t always a guarantee loss.
Only like a 90% chance of guaranteed loss.

I use the name Barbie on all of my characters.

in PvP

Wolfric.9380

I’ve been on teams that managed to turn 210-420 “lost cause” to a 500-489 victory so yeah, never ever quit. You do your team a big disservice by even assuming you’re going to lose. If you immediately assume a negative attitude, DC on purpose, or start moaning about “nub players” in chat, after nothing but a bad opening, you probably shouldn’t be PvP:ing.

If all players think and act like this the whole game would be much more fun and in a better shape. Reality seems diffrent ….

in PvP

Posted by: Bigpapasmurf.5623

Bigpapasmurf.5623

If all players think and act like this the whole game would be much more fun and in a better shape. Reality seems diffrent ….

Yeah…you humans are funny. They want change, but don’t want to change anything.

- Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/MC_Celestia
- I am currently a main thief roamer for SF in WvW. LOVE ME!
- {SOAP} Solo/Havoc roamer, lover of good fights

in PvP

Wolfric.9380

Maybe seems was the wrong word … It is ;-).

in PvP

Posted by: gebrechen.5643

gebrechen.5643

This season is so terrible.
I don’t even play much, because I get the absolute worst players every time I try to queue.
My team lost midfight 4v3 last match, the opposing team had two bases.
My 4 team mates all went afk “If we lose midfight, we can’t win this game”.
The match before I had two people disconnecting at start, coming back in the last 5 minutes of the game.
My third match of the day I won with 500:20something because the other team had two disconnects – both were in 2 man queue but not in the same group.. So without those disconnects it would have been most likely a loss because we had 5 single players.

Some people die on epidemic, other have skill.
- great warlord Waha of Sea 2981bc