PvP Community Involvment

PvP Community Involvment

in PvP

Posted by: Benjamin.7893

Benjamin.7893

With the interest in PvP dropping by the month, stale tournaments and dropping viewers don’t you think it’s time to switch things up?

Instead of trying to reinvent the wheel, why don’t you just copy what other games are doing?

If we take a look at Dota 2:

- Good visible MMR system
- Community involment in price pools. Buy compendium that allows players to get unique skins, predict tournaments, interesting challenges, etc.
- Betting items on tournaments
- Community tutorials on builds

All these things would be perfect in gw2. Why try to be different when it’s all there to be copied?

PvP Community Involvment

in PvP

Posted by: Saiyan.1704

Saiyan.1704

GW2 doesn’t work like a MOBA and in certain aspects, like the matchmaking algorithm, it shouldn’t for obvious reasons.

I support a visual MMR or at least a -1 or +1 point notification so you don’t have to stop and manually look at the leaderboards for results.

We had tournament prizes that were based on donations. We do have community tutorials on build variations. Some tutorials is on Ready Up but people either don’t know or it’s simply not as advertised like Dota2’s startup client is. So it’s kind of what’s already happening, it just isn’t on a grander scale.

ArenaNet isn’t going to spend the resources to advertise these items especially when the community isn’t there just yet. We’ve seen a huge PvP HotM facelift, so it’s very possible that we could see similiar work done after expansion but that’s only if the PvP community takes off.

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

PvP Community Involvment

in PvP

Benjamin.7893

GW2 doesn’t work like a MOBA and in certain aspects, like the matchmaking algorithm, it shouldn’t for obvious reasons.

True, GW2 matchmaking sucks a MOBA’s doesnt. As for it being different in other “obvious” area’s? Where may that be then?

We had tournament prizes that were based on donations. We do have community tutorials on build variations. Some tutorials is on Ready Up but people either don’t know or it’s simply not as advertised like Dota2’s startup client is. So it’s kind of what’s already happening, it just isn’t on a grander scale.

How is this even in the slightest comparable to a compendium, ingame tutorial?

ArenaNet isn’t going to spend the resources to advertise these items especially when the community isn’t there just yet. We’ve seen a huge PvP HotM facelift, so it’s very possible that we could see similiar work done after expansion but that’s only if the PvP community takes off.

Heart of the Mist facelift… What?

That’s the spirit just keep waiting untill players magicly appear and then start working on PvP. Not like it takes Anet 10 months to implement a feature and another 10 to have it finally work properly, by which time every1 is already gone again.

And it’s not like there’s people coming back for this lackluster expansion either.

PvP Community Involvment

in PvP

Benjamin.7893

Forum even more dead than the actual game it seems.

PvP Community Involvment

in PvP

Posted by: Saiyan.1704

Saiyan.1704

True, GW2 matchmaking sucks a MOBA’s doesnt. As for it being different in other “obvious” area’s? Where may that be then?

Opinionated. I’ve played 3 different moba’s and their matchmaking wasn’t all that better. Smite’s being the worse of them and that game has a higher population.

As “GW2 being different in obvious areas”, I was refering to class stacking, class switching and the game’s overall class diversity with 0 specific roles? compared to Moba. Moba has each position filled to a T for each team but GW2 doesn’t work that way.
The algorithm is different because it has to be. It’s a different game entirely and its matchmaking can’t work like a Moba game.

How is this even in the slightest comparable to a compendium, ingame tutorial?

I’m telling you why it’s not… attach my above quote to the bottom. The population isn’t there for Arenanet to spend the resources on. The first Moba games (Warcraft UMS and Starcraft BW UMS maps) didn’t even have detailed totorials, videos, and tournaments when it first came out but they were quickly growing in population.

Dota’s stand-alone Moba finally appeard and it didn’t offer much other than maybe a tutorial as it was a complex game to anyone entering it for the first time. The Moba genre had 1 thing to focus on, it’s 1 map with 1 PvP style with 3-4 different character roles.

If GW2 started off as a PvP game like a Moba and didn’t have to worry about a whole PvE structured world environment then yea, it would have been represented as such and we would have a more detailed totorial about things. Not to mention the game’s PvP will scream at you the moment the game loads up. Sadly, that’s not the case.

ArenaNet isn’t going to spend the resources to advertise these items when it wasn’t all that popular to begin with. We’ve seen a PvP HotM facelift, so it’s very possible that we could see similiar work done after expansion but that’s only if the PvP community takes off.

Heart of the Mist facelift… What?

That’s the spirit just keep waiting untill players magicly appear and then start working on PvP. Not like it takes Anet 10 months to implement a feature and another 10 to have it finally work properly, by which time every1 is already gone again.

And it’s not like there’s people coming back for this lackluster expansion either.

I was refering to the new UI they put in PvP. Yes, it was a big deal because they haven’t spent resources like that in PvP before, prior to the upcoming xpansion patch. Maybe other MMO’s or Moba games get an update like that every other day but GW2 is like a fostered child who doesn’t have the same resources, nor do they intend to spend more resources, than their PvE counterpart.

I wish GW2 was a pure PvP game like those other game comparisons but it isn’t. I also wish it was as popular as Dota was on Warcraft 3 so Arenanet can invest more money in it, but it isn’t. It’s not even a fraction as popular as a Moba game. In fact, Blizzard’s moba just started and will likely be a hit simply because of its genre.

Edit
Also want to add that GW2 has sold, in total, about 4.6 million copies. GW2 probably had a peek of 460,000. Average concurrent players varies around 40,000-50,000 but that has changed drastically since the announced of the xpansion and will grow at release. This is a similiar population of Smite and it’s only a fraction compared to LoL and Dota. Dota can spend $$$ (literally, millions) on their detailed pvp focused game and tournament plays. In fact, they have so many players that donations is what makes up their prizes. You simply can’t compare these games to GW2. At all.

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

(edited by Saiyan.1704)

PvP Community Involvment

in PvP

Posted by: Volrath.1473

Volrath.1473

wait, wait, wait, wait…..

there’s a PvP community?! pls tell me the nicknames of all 3 of them!

PvP Community Involvment

in PvP

Posted by: SlayerSixx.5763

SlayerSixx.5763

Forum even more dead than the actual game it seems.

My friend, our lord rosicky has gone to great lengths to keep it alive. Respect the effort.