PvP Part of GW2 Should Go Free

in PvP

Posted by: Forgietto.9453

Forgietto.9453

I am saying this very seriously.

The PvP part of this game is now in an awkward situation. Hardcore players and teams are so skilled while the community is so small. This makes beginners very difficult to join into it, as they are unlikely to win any game. The only solution I believe is to introduce more people to join into it – as many as possible. That’s why I suggest to release the PvP part for free.

And, at the same time, the community needs a reasonable ranking system, to differ skilled plays from beginners, so they can match to their comparable opponents. Elo rating system, for example, is a pretty simple and practical system can be used.

I am really looking forward to a gw2 pvp championship or something.

====

sorry, i just realized I didn’t make it clear enough. My idea is to make the pvp part f2p, with free players have limited access to the game, and combine with some PvP related services in Black Lion Store. For example, they can only pick from a few premoded appearances for each class but fully customize their characters. And they don’t have access to honor vendors until they pay some gem to unlock it. And Anet can add some features for fully purchased players only, for example, titles, or, weapon models which are available for them only.

Some of the services can be introduced into Black Lion Store include new skill skins, costumes, finishers, and other toys that doesn’t effect on the actual fights. Think about it, pay for 5 dollars and your ele will be able to throw blue or dark purple fire balls. I believe it’s pretty attractive even for the players who bought the game already.

Still, the games need to be totally fair despite if you bought the game or not. That’s the spirit of Esport games. But upon that, there are lots of things that people are willing to pay for. Just look at League of Legend, a f2p pvp game, which is the most profitable game all over the world nowadays.

(edited by Forgietto.9453)

in PvP

Posted by: Hammerheart.1426

Hammerheart.1426

I agree, the treatment that spvp gets feels like a f2p already.

Hell, Dota2 is free and is an actual esport.

in PvP

Posted by: docMed.7692

docMed.7692

Dota 2 is in beta…

in PvP

Forgietto.9453

Dota 2 is in beta…

but I am pretty sure that it will go free to play after release. Or it won’t match League of Legend.

Still, as I said, the size of the community is essential to esport games.

in PvP

Posted by: Davinci.8027

Davinci.8027

Agree and co-sign.

in PvP

Posted by: SAtaarcoeny.8476

SAtaarcoeny.8476

bad idea IMO if the pond was bigger i might not be the best fish?

all this would do is bring in way to many ppl. there would be more games all day better ppl would be discovered and teams might be made in NA.

nothing about this idea is good except for everything

URTFC.COM

BIG GW2 TOURNAMENT INC SPONSORED BY URTFC.COM

in PvP

Posted by: dejay.2598

dejay.2598

Dota 2 is in beta…

gw2 spvp is also in beta

in PvP

Posted by: waka.9826

waka.9826

Dota 2 is in beta…

gw2 spvp is also in beta

ahahahahahahaha

in PvP

Forgietto.9453

bad idea IMO if the pond was bigger i might not be the best fish?

all this would do is bring in way to many ppl. there would be more games all day better ppl would be discovered and teams might be made in NA.

nothing about this idea is good except for everything

It’s not about being a better player. It’s just that you need so many people playing to make the game competitive. Not only players but the ones watching the games, and even the screaming fans in such big championship events. You just need more people to make it like an esport game.

in PvP

Posted by: BLU.8961

BLU.8961

I disagree, at least for the time being. I dont think you guys realize how much of an effort would be required on anets part to make this happen. They have a lot of other things to worry about (like getting things that WOULD make this game an esport) before anything like this could be done

Want your Games Casted, Hit me up in game!

My Stream: http://www.twitch.tv/blu42

in PvP

Posted by: felivear.1536

felivear.1536

This idea is the silliest idea that people come up with (no offense, it’s my opinion).

When you say that this game mode should be free to play you are implying that PvP would thrive if only there were more people to play it. I’m going to put 2 sentences together and you tell me what they add up to.

• GW2 is being touted by Anet and media outlets as “The Fastest Selling MMO of all-time”. Some saying well over 3 million copies
  • PvP in this game is on the verge of extinction

Do I think they need to do something to get people playing? Yes. But those things need to be ways of incentivising PvP and KEEPING players in here once they try it. Currently, the problem isn’t that they aren’t trying it, it’s that they are, and hating it.

feLIVEar: Your resident forum king.

in PvP

Posted by: Gwaiyn.4395

Gwaiyn.4395

i’d have to disagree with this idea too, sorry

there’s a number of people that bought this game for pvp, no matter what state it’s in, to make the pvp aspect free would cause alot of anger not only in the pvp community, but to the community in general because it would have allowed many people to “test run” the game before they bought it

Gwaiyn – 80 Thief
Ryfaul – 80 Warrior
Fluene – 80 Mesmer

in PvP

Forgietto.9453

i’d have to disagree with this idea too, sorry

there’s a number of people that bought this game for pvp, no matter what state it’s in, to make the pvp aspect free would cause alot of anger not only in the pvp community, but to the community in general because it would have allowed many people to “test run” the game before they bought it

there are some easy solutions to this problem. for example free players can only pick from a few pre-moded appearances for each profession but fully customize their characters. And they don’t have access to honor vendors until they pay some gem to unlock it. And Anet can add some features for fully purchased players only, for example, titles, or, weapon models which are available for them only.

(edited by Forgietto.9453)

in PvP

Posted by: Raaka.9784

Raaka.9784

PvP Part of GW2 Should Go Free… we need players and its best solution for that…. so its best idea what Anet can do

TEAM MAJAVA – Majava U Bi
Stream: http://www.twitch.tv/ubi0
Come to say hi!

in PvP

Posted by: Darnis.4056

Darnis.4056

I disagree, this will only bring in gold spammers to the mists.
SpVp should be the crown jewel of this game, why people stay to play for longer then a month(in which they max their pve char and get bored.) Not F2P Br?br? paradise.

Will it expand the player base? Sure for a while it might work.. but it’s just a bandaid fix Arenanet needs to concentrate on making the best pvp game they can with more modes custum arenas ladders etc which by itself brings people in.

Second we need to deal with these forum dwellers who just QQ all day, many of them don’t even play the game anymore, get out already no one cares about your dead guild and the times of yesteryear, anyone reading these forums who wants to buy the game will think the game is a joke because QQPlayedfrombetapants quit. These players should be ridiculed and their arguments should be rebuked.

Most importantly we’ve got a huge untapped player base in the pve/pve+ crowd you could just as easily bring in by offering daily/laurel rewards for people who only care about pixels. Steadily the pvp population will grow because of people who want to pvp having tons of competition, and they’ll stay the course even after the pveers go back after getting their daily done.

Will the Real Pink Puma Please stand up?

in PvP

Posted by: Vpulse.2195

Vpulse.2195

Should go free with a limit class selection (The Less Popular Classes), so players that want to be competitive will buy the game eventually.

Or something like….

But i kind agree with Darnis…..SPvP just need a Better Reward to introduce PvE/WvW only players into Tourny.

(edited by Vpulse.2195)

in PvP

Posted by: Darnis.4056

Darnis.4056

if they were hell bent on making it free, maybe 1 charslot limit, no custum armors no mail no whispers no map 1 say per minute 4 class limit which changes per month.

Will the Real Pink Puma Please stand up?

in PvP

Posted by: Fernling.1729

Fernling.1729

PvP free with a rebuilt cash shop would greatly benefit them. Increase revenue, so they could afford to hire more people to build the PvP side of the game.

in PvP

Posted by: Raaka.9784

Raaka.9784

Should go free with a limit class selection (The Less Popular Classes), so players that want to be competitive will buy the game eventually.

Thas would be great and we get more players :/ PvP is really dying and its fact!

TEAM MAJAVA – Majava U Bi
Stream: http://www.twitch.tv/ubi0
Come to say hi!

in PvP

Posted by: Tasty Kiwi.6837

Tasty Kiwi.6837

you can’t have an elo system when there is few players. In league of Legends the ranking is perfect because of the amount of players it has.

in PvP

Posted by: Killthehealersffs.8940

Killthehealersffs.8940

anyone reading these forums who wants to buy the game will think the game is a joke because QQPlayedfrombetapants quit.

If u do the same , with the stupid ppl that spout <<L2P>> in any section of the game , (even in the Enginners) , in order to protect their beloved character without offering any valid argument (their character wont be nerfed with some forum QQs) , and forcing the low-mid skill existing skill players to quit , then we have a deal :P

in PvP

Posted by: FourthVariety.5463

FourthVariety.5463

I agree, GW2 sPvP → f2p rather sooner than later.

you could have the best featureset in the world, you would still be annihilated by f2p right now.

If franchises were well established in the past (CS, SC), they seem to make it, but up and coming competitive PvP titles are all f2p. A few years back, Blizzard was by far the most overrun booth at conventions, in 2012 it was League of Legends. While floors where relatively empty, they were already bursting from the seams.

ArenaNet will have to decide if PvP is a checkbox that makes players reasonably happy for a while, or whether serious effort is being sunk into GW2 PvP, complete with financial risks and everything. Go full f2p with skins as microtransactions, use the sPvP as marketing platform for PvE. PvP needs a critical mass to succeed, f2p provides that far better than anything else.

On a sidenote, I heard programmers try to popularize double domination PvP modes for fourteen years now. Kudos to ArenaNet for still trying, but historically speaking, it is not betting on a winning horse.

in PvP

Posted by: Shukran.4851

Shukran.4851

Dota 2 is in beta…

gw2 spvp is also in beta

ahahahahahahaha

open beta vs closed beta.
bet who wins

in PvP

Posted by: Myrmidian Eudoros.4671

Myrmidian Eudoros.4671

f2p is not a magic bullet. It will not make GW2 better, and will tax the resources that Anet has. Quality would plummet if you introduce a huge number of unpaying gamers to the systems, and it is not a reasonable approach at this point in time. Furthermore, the f2p types would not play this game in its current form. The PvP simply isn’t polished enough.

Expanding the sPvP player base is critical for the game to be a PvP success, but Anet needs the game to be a monetary success in order to pull this off. Frankly the serious PvP gaming public that gets attracted to f2P is fickle and unprofitable to address. My opinion on the issue is that Anet could make the PvP profitable and vastly improve the competetive environment by implementing some combination/permutation of the following ideas:

Cash Shop limited access game purchases – Don’t give anyone something for nothing, the product is frankly too costly to develop to throw around this way. If you want to ensnare the f2p types that can actually have a profitable existence then you CAN introduce a low dollar, limited access account type that you would need to publicize (using the existing PvP player base and viral marketing would probably yield decent results for very little cost). Something on the order of a $5-$10 transaction for access to hot join and free tourney only, no PvE and one to two rotating professions (a week or 2 between rotations).

A la Carte purchases in cash shop for increasing access – Cash only transactions or a huge price in gems to permenantly unlock a profession for sPvP. Another transaction to unlock paid tourneys, rare skins, etc.

Development. - The PvE portion of the game is polished and very appealing to the grinders that want to run the same dungeons over and over again, and while it is admirable that Anet is still putting out more content for the PvE crowd and keeping their word, the PvP has suffered for it. More game modes (deathmatch, KotH, relic runs, etc.) should be implemented in order to make the PvP more dynamic, and stuff like underwater combat and downed state blance still need to be fixed before this game can be considered seriously viable as a PvP title.

Targeted, free access to high level, popular PvP streamers – Go get the PvP big boys. Find the f2p gamers that have a large following, and recognize their value as influencers. The more highly skilled gamers are streaming the more sheeple will buy it to compete. As an additional side note LISTEN to the feedback that you get from these players, and gie their input more weight than the masses. They will make the game better faster, because they are better players. I know I said don’t give anyone something for nothing, but getting these types of players into the game brings value to Anet’s product and is a form of marketing. That is why this isn’t a something for nothing.

Find a way to make the PvP “sticky”. – Anet created a gear treadmill for PvE, and it increased the “sticky” factor for people that are into that kind of thing (I think they are sadists, but whatever). There needs to be a similar tactic employed for the PvP crowd, and the current ranking/glory/tourney reward system doesn’t get it done. This is perhaps the trickiest proposition that I am throwing out there at the moment. Maybe something more recognition based specific to Guilds (not to pummel the dead horse) akin to GvG. It promotes a “stickiness” that encourages the player base to introduce new players to PvP and train them up that is currently not a part of the game. The high level PvP community (which I clearly am not a part of) see eachother frequently enough and dont necessarily need this, but this is what drives the mid-level PvP experience that made GW so successful.

There is plenty more to say on the topic, but I have already been far too long winded.

in PvP

Posted by: houndmd.4360

houndmd.4360

Iron Legion Cubscouts crusade!

in PvP

Posted by: Pandabro.8743

Pandabro.8743

This idea is the silliest idea that people come up with (no offense, it’s my opinion).

When you say that this game mode should be free to play you are implying that PvP would thrive if only there were more people to play it. I’m going to put 2 sentences together and you tell me what they add up to.

• GW2 is being touted by Anet and media outlets as “The Fastest Selling MMO of all-time”. Some saying well over 3 million copies
  • PvP in this game is on the verge of extinction

Do I think they need to do something to get people playing? Yes. But those things need to be ways of incentivising PvP and KEEPING players in here once they try it. Currently, the problem isn’t that they aren’t trying it, it’s that they are, and hating it.

This.

It’s not the number of players that’s the problem. Plenty of games have a strong presence in the esports community and have a relatively small fan base (See Heroes of Newerth) because the systems are in place to make it happen (Simple MM system, great Observer mode, support for competitive coverage).

The player base is plenty large, but the PVP system is too complicated and unrewarding to keep players around so it’s simply hemorrhaging slowly.

in PvP

Posted by: Nerphez.3750

Nerphez.3750

wtb PvP package for 19.99?

that would be pretty cool