PvP Tier List for New Players and Devs

in PvP

Posted by: Luclinraider.2317

Luclinraider.2317

Hey guys,

With the current reworks, as well as finally seeing all of the elite’s coming in the expansion, I think it’s time for a more up to date Tier list.

Note: These are from what I see every day. As a PvP’r who plays generally around 20-50 games a day, and plays all classes except Engineer and Warrior, but am in constant play with Engi/War teammates.

Tier S (Holy Moly! Unbeatable 1v1):

Necromancer: Now before everyone starts going insane. Let’s look at their steady flow of buffs. They have been continually buffed over the last several balance patches, and are receiving the Reaper….arguably the strongest Elite spec in the game. These changes have made them monsters in SPvP. With the bunker capability only rivaled by a Guard, DPS that auto targets for AOE damage, and possibly the greatest sustain in game, they are not the kitten class they used to be. I have personally won multiple 3v1’s on my Necro, even more 2v1’s, and when it comes to 1v1…..I don’t think I’ve ever lost one in the last 3 months. Let me rephrase that, we have become a class that CANNOT be killed 1v1 unless Skype minimizes me out of my game lol. Our current state along with the Reaper coming…..they deserve to be up here.

Tier A (Has some aspect that seem a little to strong, but pretty balanced):

Guardian: Arguably the best bunker in the game, the last few patches have not only secured this role, but given them in many cases more burst than I put out on my hunter or thief……just….with burn >.>. Guardian are receiving DH as their elite spec….and although it’s a bit underwhelming when compared to the others, it does, in my opinion, secure them as the best bunker class in the game by giving them traps. The main reason they are up here is that I can apply so much burn so fast that I am downing 12k health targets in under a second…..that’s faster than my DPS classes, and I have the bunker capability of…well….a guard. I think their role is not evolving quite as much as other….but they are just becoming even better at what they already do well.

Ele: If this had been written 2 days ago, they would be up there with Necro’s….but having played a bunch of my Ele the last two days, they are still very strong….but not 3v1 strong anymore. We kept all of our sustain and escapes, while having our DPS beat down a little, mainly, our burning. Ele’s elite is giving them access to a few more support options, while giving them supercharged stances, allowing them to unleash large AOE affects. I think Ele is in a good place right now….maybe a little strong….but its a good step from where it was last week.

Mesmer: I know….Mesmer and Ele have been at the far end of the beating stick these last 3 months with everyone hating them. But truthfully, Mesmers are still really strong. Yes…we cant stealth around the map for 2 minutes at a time anymore. But really, we still have all of our damage. PU took a hit, but still remains strong, and still allows us to dish out tons of burst, with the ability to escape when needed. However, as a side note to both Mesmer and Thiefs, with all of the reveal coming out in the expansion, I feel that stealth itself will be less useful…..

Tier B (This is the balanced Tier):

Warrior: Lets make something clear….if you’re new to the game, don’t know what projections to looks for, or don’t know when to dodge what, Warriors are Tier SSS for you :P. Warriors still stand out at some of the most brutal damage in the game. If you don’t dodge at the right time they will punish you for it….and I mean you’re dead punish. They have tons of mobility, tons of damage, tons of control, and tons of escape/sustain……well that makes them sound pretty SSS right? Warriors are strong as heck, yes, but their moves are also all very predictable, and have projections. This means well timed dodges and experienced players who know those projections are able to handle them much more successfully. Like I said, I don’t have a Warrior, but from the looks of it and from what my War teammate tells me, the Zerker Elite is very strong, giving him access to plenty of new damage. So it seems that Warrior is still in a very good place.

Engineer:

Engineer is truthfully on the fence of Tier B and A….but it’s not their fault. Engineer’s are great bunkers, and provide TONS of utility to any team. Their elite spec, “The Scrapper”, is also looking like it’s going to be pretty mean. What put’s them on the fence of being Tier A is their ability to apply lots of Burn. Like I said before, this is not due to Engineer….this is due to how strong Burn is right now. All in all I think Engineer’s are a pretty balanced class, they have lots of bunker potential along with the ability to dish out really mean damage…..especially those bombs 0.0….

Tier C (Needs some work, but has potential):

Ranger:

My ranger was my first character ever back at launch and thus I have tons of playtime on her. Rangers received a little bit of love just two days ago, but quickly had it revoked. Now….lets be honest fellow rangers….HaO was insane…it needed it. However, I feel like they are moving us up in the world. To be honest, the only think that made me separate Ranger from Thief in the Tier list was the recent show of their elite spec, “Druid”. This form looks INSANE. Yes, some of the community is complaining that they don’t apply boons and they JUST heal…….JUST!!! I’m not sure what stream the rest of you were watching, but the Druid was healing on a 0 second CD for 2k AOE, a 6 second CD for 4k AOE, along with the plant that exploded for 3k AOE healing and Condi removal……this is adding up to thousands of life on one person healed every few seconds…and potentially hundreds of thousand of life every transformation…..that’s game changing right there. I for one am very excited to be playing my ranger at HoT launch and think they will likely be around Tier A just for their healing capability come post launch.

Tier D (Needs an overhaul/Is this still a class?)

Thief: As said before fellow Rangers, your current state is right down here with us, but your elite puts you over the top. On the other foot we have Thief…..our specialization is…..we can….dodge once more >.>….yay? Thief has been continually nerfed into a state of almost uselessness. They are currently not the best at….well….anything except taking a dirt nap…..OK that isn’t true….we do one thing better than other, but lets take a look at that.

Thief currently is not the best stealth class, which was taken over by Mesmer, is not the best at sustain/survival, is not the best bunker, not the best Burst, not the best sustained DPS, not the best 1v1, not the best group fighter…..and to top it all off, our class mechanic is stealth…..a mechanic that half the other classes get on top of their special class mechanics. The current patch buffed our Pistol damage….but this doesn’t help us in any way in PvP, and is strictly a PvE buff. Anyone with a dodge (All classes), a knockdown (Half the classes), a stun/daze (All classes), a reflect (Half the classes), a knock back (Half the classes)…you get the picture. There are 3 seconds of unload to either dodge or interrupt…once that’s done, P/P thief has no mobility, escape, or stealth entry. The only time you should ever lose to a P/P thief in PvP is if you’re 80% of the way through another fight and don’t have any control/dodges up atm. It’s gotten so bad that the Pro’s have openly said that if any other class ever achieves the mobility of thief, they will drop their thief’s in a heartbeat….which brings us to our one little thing we do excel at….running!

More specifically mobility in general. We can get around the map fast…and I mean FAST with Short bow and Shadow step. This has made us key in decapping points. However, they have nerfed us to the point that we can’t actually 1v1 anyone….and with DD as our specialization….which is pretty pathetic compared to others, I feel as though Thief will become even more pathetic in combat scenarios.

The way I feel is if Anet wants Thief to be super mobile sneaky back cappers, then they need to focus our class around movement, and not fighting. We need to be given things that increase our movement speed. Our new elite skill should be a signet something along the lines of “Passive: Combat does not slow your movement speed. Active: Gain super speed for 6 seconds”. The 25% movement speed from our signet should be somewhere in our spec. If they want us to be non combative back cappers, then they need to make sure we excel at that much like Guards do at bunkering. Not making us just a tiny bit better than Ele’s to the point where one more blink skill and thief’s would officially be deleted from the game and no one would notice lol.

In conclusion: Everything is going to change with the expansion. I think Necro’s will move up even higher to an SS Tier, and I think Thief’s will fall even lower to an F Tier….but we will all have to wait and see.

Hope this helped some new players choose their classes, and maybe helped dev’s see some of the issues in game in it’s current state!

See you in game!

P.S. It should be noted that I main a Thief in PvP. However, I hold no biased opinions since I play almost all of the classes. The only reason I main Thief is for the back capping for my team since that’s my role.

(edited by Luclinraider.2317)

in PvP

Posted by: ArthurDent.9538

ArthurDent.9538

Too early after a large patch to really make a list like this, and pointless to judge the elite specs with their performance levels in such a highly volatile prerelease state.

14 Dungeon paths soloed
Lupi solos on 9/9 professions
Wost Engi NA

in PvP

Posted by: RedDeadFred.1256

RedDeadFred.1256

I take it this is for actual fighting only. Are thieves still the best for getting around the map to decap?

I haven’t played the Elite spec, but I saw a video where the thief had almost 100% up time of dodges while also doing damage with those dodges. Granted, the damage wasn’t huge, but couldn’t that make for an amazing bunker build?

Feel free to correct me since I’m not really knowledgeable about this at all. For those wondering, it was one of Brazil’s videos that showed this.

Also, this is assuming that the dodge skills will become a lot smoother.

in PvP

Posted by: philheat.3956

philheat.3956

Well, if we’re valuating this patch i think it is a reasonable list.

With HoT i think Ranger (druid) has good chance to move to higher tier, same Engi has scrapped traits really strong and a Reveal AoE could be really impactful.

Necro i think it will be always A tier (not sure for S but honestly he’s really tanky and Reaper is amazing). Mesmer pretty good always with Chronomancer too.

Thief probably is in the worst state ever.

We’ll see.

in PvP

Posted by: D I V A.6018

D I V A.6018

Looking at your message history, this makes sense. You write from the perspective of a meta thief. This is probably the reason why you placed your favourite class in the “worst” spot balance-wise.
I lol’d @ Nec o top tier. Play necro in good MMR PvP. Team Fights are absolute ping pong matches with you as the ball. Eles are still strong, Rangers DO have their place and bunker guards are often too slowly paced to compete with others.

I do agree with some points, but you shouldn’t assume your subjektive views as th ultimate truth.

D I V A

in PvP

Posted by: Chaith.8256

Chaith.8256

I think your PvP tier list is too subjective, not conservative enough in your assumptions, and not based on conquest.

Forum Lord Chaith
Twitch.tv/chaithh
New Twitter: @chaithhh

in PvP

Posted by: mistsim.2748

mistsim.2748

not sure who you are, but your list is extremely inaccurate. u cant really create these lists unless you’ve made a name for yourself in conquest. given that this thread is kinda silly, i’ll chime in with my impressions that nobody will care about

from my limited playtime in top mmr, it looks like engies are making a really strong comeback. this is the only profession that caught my attention post patch. signet necros are the same more or less. d/d eles are on that same level, but theyre no longer top dog.

guards are probably bottom of the barrel. i honestly don’t know what there is for these guys to do in the current meta, other than cheese burn or bunker. lots of warriors experimenting with shield but its unremarkable. zerker warriors still doing their thing. I’m seeing lots of staff eles, theyre certainly solid bunkers and imo better than guards, but nothing different from pre-patch. scepter eles most definitely did not receive anything significant which is sad. thieves are also in the same spot as before, and it’s not very good. these guys are now getting wrecked by good power rangers.

other than engies making a solid comeback, I noticed something else – mesmers, with their reduced stealth, are definitely not the force they were pre-patch. in turn, this has given power rangers some breathing room (along with thieves not receiving any significant buffs). so with the ele and Mesmer getting their adjustments, the environment is definitely a little more appropriate for power rangers. we should see them being more effective compared to pre-patch, at least until HoT hits.

(edited by mistsim.2748)

in PvP

Luclinraider.2317

I did say I main a Thief for my team…..

For example though. My last 10 games…of which I am in que right now while writing this, are on my Necro.

Until my team gets on it’s all I play is my Necro. I realize this list is my opinion, and not law. I’m writing it as what I’ve seen, I even said that at the top.

Any last game I fought a 4v1 on Wolf, and was able to kill 2 of them before they could stomp me. Sorry, but I can’t do that on any of my other characters. As long as I can 2v1, 3v1, and 4v1 and walk out of it will kills and/or alive on my Necro, they will be Tier S in my opnion :P

in PvP

Posted by: Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

I did say I main a Thief for my team…..

For example though. My last 10 games…of which I am in que right now while writing this, are on my Necro.

Until my team gets on it’s all I play is my Necro. I realize this list is my opinion, and not law. I’m writing it as what I’ve seen, I even said that at the top.

Any last game I fought a 4v1 on Wolf, and was able to kill 2 of them before they could stomp me. Sorry, but I can’t do that on any of my other characters. As long as I can 2v1, 3v1, and 4v1 and walk out of it will kills and/or alive on my Necro, they will be Tier S in my opnion :P

good for you! could you share with us the exact build your necro used for the 4 vs 1 ?
imma try it out in hotjoin and see how it goes.

in PvP

Luclinraider.2317

I don’t really run anything special.

D/W or D/D with Staff

Signets with Spec armor and Plague.

Celestial Ammy. Runes and Sigils are your pref…

It’s not the build…it’s the Necro’s ability to dish our massive damage while sustaining itself. If you haven’t played a Necro yet give it a try. Alot of fun.

in PvP

Posted by: December.3946

December.3946

You must be new here.

Physicks [The Dankening]

in PvP

Posted by: OlrunTheBlade.1486

OlrunTheBlade.1486

Necromancer is too high. Guardian is too high. Ranger is too low. Thief is too low.

Captain of Never Lucky [NL]
Competitive Warrior, Ele, Mesmer, Ranger, Engineer, Thief

in PvP

Posted by: ronpierce.2760

ronpierce.2760

You should start streaming on your Necro. I could use some tips.

High Warlord Sikari (80 Reaper) / Lord Siekron (80 DH)
Warlord Sikari (80 Scrapper)

in PvP

Luclinraider.2317

I respect all of your opinions. These are just mine from what I see everyday while playing.

You guys should write out a list too. I like seeing other people’s opinions :P

in PvP

Posted by: OlrunTheBlade.1486

OlrunTheBlade.1486

No point in making a list before stuff balances out. And people will criticize your list because of the title: “For New Players and Devs.” It’s quite a statement.

Captain of Never Lucky [NL]
Competitive Warrior, Ele, Mesmer, Ranger, Engineer, Thief

in PvP

Posted by: Leodon.1564

Leodon.1564

Looking at your message history, this makes sense. You write from the perspective of a meta thief. This is probably the reason why you placed your favourite class in the “worst” spot balance-wise.

That’s pretty much the standard formula for these “scientific” lists.

Faye Oren – Mesmer
Lee Oren – Ranger
Eve Oren – Revenant

(edited by Leodon.1564)

in PvP

Posted by: Leodon.1564

Leodon.1564

I respect all of your opinions. These are just mine from what I see everyday while playing.

You guys should write out a list too. I like seeing other people’s opinions :P

1) Your profession
2) I don’t care
3) Santa Clause
4) SBD farts
5) Kitten videos
6) Ham sandwiches
7) Republicans
8) My profession

Faye Oren – Mesmer
Lee Oren – Ranger
Eve Oren – Revenant

in PvP

Posted by: sinject.4607

sinject.4607

a better tier list would look somewhat like this:

S-Tier:

• Elementalist
  • Necro

A-Tier

• Mesmer
  • Guardian/Thief
  • Ranger/Engineer
  • Warrior

there really isn’t an “unusable profession” despite what people will tell you, but that being said, elementalist/necro/mesmer are probably limiting meta viability for a good amount of potential builds and there’s often plenty of overlap between the three in terms of counter strength which only compounds how badly these builds get shut out of the meta. elementalist/necro, being overpowered, are effectively working to push everything out of the meta to varying degrees but they also have specific instances where their counter strength is acutely harsh; celestial necro for example is a condition-spec/boon-spec wall. mesmer on the otherhand is primarily doing this to most professions’ power-specs, like power engineer/warrior/necro/guardian/elementalist. the only power-specs that can actually compete with mesmer are power thief and power ranger. don’t get me wrong, thief and ranger aren’t helping the viability of other power-specs either but they don’t shut them out as much as mesmer does:

http://battlefy.com/academy-gaming/na-ag-1v1-cup-1/55d9f83372e7d54700566e82/info

that was a 1v1 tournament restricted to power oriented specs only and even with multiple trait bans in place (PU, namely) mesmer still dominated the bracket. same with power ranger to a lesser degree, despite Beastly Warden being banned as well as the combination of Wilderness Survival and Nature Magic being also banned, ranger was the second most successful profession in an all power tournament. i wish i could say the same for thief, but there wasn’t even one that finished within reward placing range.

in PvP

mistsim.2748

^well said, I agree mostly. from my experience so far though, mesmers are much more manageable after the stealth nerf. resultantly, power rangers are in a pretty good spot because previously there wasn’t really a reason to bring one over the Mesmer. post-patch, I actually prefer power ranger’s survivability.

I haven’t seen any successful guards since June 23rd, burn cheese aside. staff eles make better bunkers actually.

(edited by mistsim.2748)

in PvP

Posted by: nacario.9417

nacario.9417

It’s great to see that you are an eager and optimistic fellow, but generally if you want your arguements to be taken more seriously you may want to look at their credibility. For instance a 4v1 and killing two to tell the tale isnt possible vs competent foes with sharpened blades. If you truly did a 4v1 and killed two it means you enemies were newcomers and not representative to the points you’re trying to make, I also wonder where your teammates where since you were alone long enough to kill two, which could also indicate hotboin or lower bracket!
Anyway, as others have said, it’s way to early to speculate since stuff is getting tweaked now till HoT, though we have indicators on which classes that may be stronk.

Power Ranger PvP
I used to be a power ranger, now not sure anymore

in PvP

Posted by: Holl.3109

Holl.3109

Lol necro is ’’OP’’ X)

All 80’s – PvP/WvW
My YouTube channel
Reapers gonna reap ¯\(°_°)/¯

in PvP

Posted by: Erindriel.2351

Erindriel.2351

This thread…

Everyone else: “Necro is op”

Necros: “get gud scrubs”

hmmmmmm…!

I’ll just leave this here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrQQ9BHEstI

in PvP

Posted by: Serdoc.7261

Serdoc.7261

Horrible and inaccurate tier list that is a poorly disguised ‘i think thieves are UP’ balance whine.

I’m not sure, can you, umm…. do that again? ROM – 2015
#allisvain

in PvP

Posted by: Josh Davis.6015

Josh Davis.6015

Just want to make sure the “devs” part of this thread was complete.

S Tier
Josh “Grouch” Davis

D Tier
Hugh “Nightmare” Norfolk

in PvP

Posted by: Chaith.8256

Chaith.8256

S Tier
Josh “Grouch” Davis

D Tier
Hugh “Nightmare” Norfolk

So cold.

Attachments:

Forum Lord Chaith
Twitch.tv/chaithh
New Twitter: @chaithhh

in PvP

Posted by: Garrisyl.7402

Garrisyl.7402

Necro players have such a highly developed victim complex after years of mediocrity, that they can’t acknowledge their class being alone at the top of the food chain, no matter how strong they are.

in PvP

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

One small ray of humor sunshine…then back to the typical stereotyping of people based on the class that they play and sweeping accusations based on game balance.

Well…it was nice while it lasted.

(Also, lmao @ hugh)

in PvP

Posted by: Azure The Heartless.3261

Azure The Heartless.3261

Two things

D Tier
Hugh “Nightmare” Norfolk

Savage

Tier list is accurate, but I dont want to talk about it anymore. I’ll just try 3x as hard.

Resident Disgruntled, Coffee-drinking Charr.
Zarin Mistcloak(THF) Valkyrie Mistblade(WAR) Kossori Mistwalker(REV) Durendal Mistward(GRD)
I used to think (build op, pls nerf) like you, but then I took a nerf to the knee.

in PvP

Posted by: abc.5790

abc.5790

Dev Tier in terms of how they influence our gaming experience

S Tier
The one responsible for balancing elementalists
[This spot is reserved for Robert Gee]

A Tier
Evan Lesh and his team for caring and putting the effort to fix matchmaking for solo queue pvpers

Josh Davis
Branding guy. Should consider being more aggressive with creating affiliate partners and hit up influential gaming personalities so that lots of people buy your game and thus increase the pvp population further so that SOLO QUEUE can stand on its own without having to feed the low population TEAM QUEUE.

[Star] In My Prono
EU Scrub

in PvP

Posted by: trytonianYeti.4389

trytonianYeti.4389

Dev Tier in terms of how they influence our gaming experience

S Tier
The one responsible for balancing elementalists
[This spot is reserved for Robert Gee]

A Tier
Evan Lesh and his team for caring and putting the effort to fix matchmaking for solo queue pvpers

Josh Davis
Branding guy. Should consider being more aggressive with creating affiliate partners and hit up influential gaming personalities so that lots of people buy your game and thus increase the pvp population further so that SOLO QUEUE can stand on its own without having to feed the low population TEAM QUEUE.

Best comment on this thread

in PvP

Posted by: brannigan.9831

brannigan.9831

Your guardian section is complete garbage. For one thing althought I doubt you meant it (just bad writing) you seem to indicate that Guardian Bunkers got increased damage over the last few patches. The current meta bunker guardian build is at an all time low damage wise. Besides burning Guardians in general have taken a damage nerf because no one can run glacial heart anymore. Also, to say a thief does less damage then a guardian of any type is stoopid. To be honest I stopped reading after guardian because it sucked so bad.

in PvP

mistsim.2748

^yea guards are in a really rough shape atm in this meta

in PvP

Posted by: LunacyPolish.4602

LunacyPolish.4602

I don’t feel like I can really produce a truly accurate list this soon after a balance patch, but there’s no way Necro is in a better spot than Ellie or Mesmer even after that patch.

Yes the necro has some very strong meta builds, but they still suck at condi pressure (their intended role), they still lack escapes, mobility, etc., they are easily negated with simple juking to make them waste key abilities, hard CC owns them all day long, moa them and burst them and they’re done, etc.

A lot of their abilities are very, very strong, however if they miss the timing they get rekt.

I agree they’re hard to kill at the moment, but a necro should be hard to kill because they can’t quit the fight.

in PvP

Posted by: Xanctus The Dragonslayer.2318

Xanctus The Dragonslayer.2318

S Tier
Josh “Grouch” Davis

D Tier
Hugh “Nightmare” Norfolk

So cold.

hmmpf, Nightmare, quite an interesting nickname, so much hype lol. But then again Developer Hax. And he’s one of the pvp game designers if I’m not mistaken so i wager he’s actually a nigthmare to duel againsts and have teamfights with. I wonder if this name really means anything or if it’s just a mere tough name. tough he could be one of those developers that just creates al the stuff and leaves the testing to his colleagues?

in PvP

Posted by: Avigrus.2871

Avigrus.2871

Too funny.

Necro is too stronk, that’s why everyone’s running multiple Necros in tourneys.

80 Necro (5), 80 Guard (4), 80 Mesmer (3)
80 Ranger (3), 80 Warrior (3), 80 Thief (3)
80 Ele (2), 80 Engi (3), 80 Rev (2)