PvP development is Painfully Slow, Why...?

in PvP

Posted by: Phantom Master.9582

Phantom Master.9582

The PvP forums are incredibly dreadful, you can feel the rage in the air just by oppening 90% of the threads in here, it suprises me that the Devs don’t crack at the players. They got tough skin! Unless they don’t really read that often. But i’m sure we all agree that after one year, very little support was shown in the development of SPvP.
But yet the Devs didn’t really fundamentally explain why. I would enjoy knowing if its the lack of money the PvP teams gets, or is it the lack of members in the team, or… something!

Taking huge amounts of time in testing is great and all, but i beleive players have expire dates and PvP might eventually die off, and we end up blaming the PvP Devs, but is it really thier fault? I would enjoy a dev response about this.

R80 Mesmer- Inquisitor Amena
Eternity~!

in PvP

Posted by: zone.1073

zone.1073

If you’ve ever cooked, you’d know that the most efficient way to prepare an elaborate meal for the family is to start working on multiple things at once and let them simmer. Triage between the sauce, the meat, the noodles and vegetables until everything’s ready, then put it all together and enjoy the fantastic meal.

If you only worked on one thing at a time, like the sauce, great, you now have amazing sauce YUMMY…but no noodles or meat and veggies to go along with it. You could sip on that sauce all day but it probably won’t be very filling.

in PvP

Phantom Master.9582

If you’ve ever cooked, you’d know that the most efficient way to prepare an elaborate meal for the family is to start working on multiple things at once and let them simmer. Triage between the sauce, the meat, the noodles and vegetables until everything’s ready, then put it all together and enjoy the fantastic meal.

If you only worked on one thing at a time, like the sauce, great, you now have amazing sauce YUMMY…but no noodles or meat and veggies to go along with it. You could sip on that sauce all day but it probably won’t be very filling.

Then Anet must be cooking over a candle, because we’re starving.

Eternity~!

in PvP

Posted by: Evan Lesh

Evan Lesh

PvP Gameplay Programmer

This forum loves analogies :P

PvP is not currently designed to have extensible content. There are maps, which we do make. There are runes and sigils, but there are already an overabundance of them. Finally there are skins, which are added usually with every other update, but how you obtain those skins stem from PvE.

There are no features we can just ‘throw people at’ to give you guys more content. We need more infrastructure and more extensible systems, but those are the hardest to design and take the most time to implement. An example would be a completely reworked reward system. Those are the things we’re working on. It’s taking a lot of time and hard work to get there, but the payoff will be worth it.

Bluxgore (80 Warr), Xilz (80 Necro), Ivo (80 Eng)
Bra (80 Guard), Fixie Bow (80 Ranger), Wcharr (80 Ele)
Xdragonshadowninjax (80 Thief)

in PvP

Posted by: Romek.4201

Romek.4201

Hi Evan

I have 2 questions for you

1. Is it we cant get a new gamemode cause there is no “infrastructure and more extensible systems” made for this in first hand BUT you work on something like this and we can see in future somehow more modes and more often?

2. Can you describe us how much work it is for you guyz (the steps) to make a new map from idea till implementation?
Maby than we have a idea how much work you guyz have to do^^
Or i realy realy realy wanna know how you arenanet guyz make armorskins and how much work it is.

plz tell^^

in PvP

Posted by: Nary Why Irk.8150

Nary Why Irk.8150

PvP is not currently designed to have extensible content. There are maps, which we do make. There are runes and sigils, but there are already an overabundance of them. Finally there are skins, which are added usually with every other update, but how you obtain those skins stem from PvE.

There are no features we can just ‘throw people at’ to give you guys more content. We need more infrastructure and more extensible systems, but those are the hardest to design and take the most time to implement. An example would be a completely reworked reward system. Those are the things we’re working on. It’s taking a lot of time and hard work to get there, but the payoff will be worth it.

Please Evan, give us some spotlight on how will the new reward system look like.
Will that change modify the current rank system ?

in PvP

Posted by: Killthehealersffs.8940

Killthehealersffs.8940

2. Can you describe us how much work it is for you guyz (the steps) to make a new map from idea till implementation?
Maby than we have a idea how much work you guyz have to do^^

I would love to know that too :P

in PvP

Posted by: ensoriki.5789

ensoriki.5789

Best dev NA.
“Currently” so how much infrastructure changes are on the drawing board right now beyond Rewards and I believe tournaments?

The great forum duppy.

in PvP

Posted by: Empathetic Fighter.2065

Empathetic Fighter.2065

I read through the forums and for 12 months I see the same sentence: “We are working on it.” You announced back in November you want to revamp the reward-structure. Such a system takes 10 months for you while it takes 1 for others?

Read It Backwards [BooN]

in PvP

Posted by: Volrath.1473

Volrath.1473

Thanks Evan!!

Can you tell us if you are planing on adding at least 1 more game mode for sPvP like CTF or something? we know you guys tested stuff like that internally so it should not be so hard and time consuming to implement (I guess).

in PvP

Posted by: Vena.8436

Vena.8436

Best dev NA.
“Currently” so how much infrastructure changes are on the drawing board right now beyond Rewards and I believe tournaments?

Of what we know:

• Rewards
  • Templates
  • Fixing the SoloQ roster idiocy.
  • Targeting fixes (Oct patch)
  • Tournies
  • Visual Noise → Animation clean up (not really an infrastructure thing after they added Effects LOD)

I feel like there are other things I am forgetting that have been mentioned on TV.

Vena/Var – Guardian/Thief
[Eon] – Blackgate

in PvP

Posted by: Enio.1682

Enio.1682

If devs. are making new map like skyhammer than please just stop.

Give me back old confusion anet :(

in PvP

Posted by: anzenketh.3759

anzenketh.3759

Part of the reason why ArenaNet is able to put PvE content out so fast is a lot of times there is little programing involved. Especially if they are using existing maps.

We need more infrastructure and more extensible systems, but those are the hardest to design and take the most time to implement. An example would be a completely reworked reward system.

I think what Evan Lesh means is the game developer tools like the Starcraft MAP creator. Are just not there for sPvP especially for things like new game modes or fixing other features. So they take longer. I don’t necessarily think he is talking about server hardware.

To give you an idea on how different programing some PvP content vs programing a non-existing feature might want to take a look at the following:

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/180776/Video_Guild_Wars_2s_programming_tricks_revealed.php

In Game: Storm Bluff Isle — Anzz, Anzenketh Kyoto

in PvP

Posted by: Hugs.1856

Hugs.1856

I guess the real question is why you guys didn’t plan out the necessary architecture to deliver pvp updates quicker?

I remember a dev saying that in order to not disrupt the flow of connections during an update you guys planned the “update architecture” right from the start and this is thanks to this early preparation that it was possible.

Now, why didn’t you do the same for pvp?

Or maybe you are actually happy with the pace of development, and you think it’s ok to have made all these silly claims about esport and still have no competititive infrastructure 1 year later.

Your pvp population may be growing but I’d be very surprised if the number of full 5-man teams was actually on the rise:p :p :p :p

in PvP

Posted by: MarkPhilips.5169

MarkPhilips.5169

I don’t think real problems are new contents but real problem is that what we have now doesn’t work properly (leaderboards problems, soloqueue afk+leavers problem) and a terrible, really terrible, meta.

So pvp it’s in an open alpha status with many problems.

in PvP

Posted by: SuperHaze.4210

SuperHaze.4210

Imbalances, leaderboards, rewards aside, I really just want to see more game modes. Don’t care about esports if there isn’t any competitive maps and game modes anyway. TDM arena was the only competitive part of wow and the rest was just for fun. Cross server battlegrounds was where it was at and that’s all I’ve wished for. I’ve lived through the imbalances of wow but still had a lot of fun in WSG, AV, and AB. Large maps made for great battles and spaced out enough that you could have 1v1’s without getting interrupted all the kitten time. If Anet was so concerned about making money off PVP all they had to do was sell PVE skins in the gem store.

I keep trying to hang on in the hopes that this will happen, but with every new map, I’m disappointed every time. I just don’t understand why they don’t put out new game modes and let the community decide which ones they want to play. WSG never had a big following, but those that played it were the most hardcore so there was enough of a following to merit it’s existence. The fear of a split player base because of different game modes doesn’t make sense because it’s always gonna happen if you offer different game modes, but let the players have their choice. Players will always favor one map over another just like how I refuse to play the Capricorn map. When I get rotated in, I end up leaving the match and joining another just to avoid it.

in PvP

Posted by: Israel.7056

Israel.7056

I think the thing I’m most looking forward to now is the revamped rewards. But I also know that if the new system isn’t fun that I will probably feel more negative about the game than I do currently. I was really looking forward to solo arena before it launched but now that I’ve had time to play it I have to say that I’m more turned off from tpvp than I was before solo arena was released. So if the devs say they need time then I say give them time because the last thing I want is another disappointment.

in PvP

Posted by: Knote.2904

Knote.2904

I would say you should really try to find a way to monetize spvp in a non-obtrusive way, it will really help get more resources for it assuming the higher ups are neglecting it.

Maybe include a way to shortcut your way to certain rewards/special skins through gems? Which can alternatively be grinded for with glory or w/e new pvp currency?

It’s a shoddy idea, but monetizing of spvp is going to be necessary eventually.

in PvP

Posted by: Diage.6451

Diage.6451

Please for the love of god don’t tell me you’re wasting resources on a better reward system…………………………..

in PvP

SuperHaze.4210

Please for the love of god don’t tell me you’re wasting resources on a better reward system…………………………..

Agreed. What good is a better reward system when the game itself is the problem. Better rewards doesn’t motivate me to stand in a circle all day.

in PvP

Posted by: ryston.7640

ryston.7640

I guess the problem is thus:

PvP would have it’s own evolving meta and very little changes would be needed by the devs.

But the PvP game is boring and bad, with bad maps, bad traits, bad abilities, and bad gameplay. Launched with no ladder and no spectator.

So some extra effort on providing us a fun game, so we could have a meta we cared about, would have been nice.

But instead were given a slow trickle. Which is frustrating.

Edit: I got a little caught up in being mean, sorry. The maps aren’t all bad. Some are kinda neat.

in PvP

Posted by: swinsk.6410

swinsk.6410

Evan, can’t you throw us build templates? I know it’s not a super easy feature to implement but it ought to be less thinking and more coding. Not like reworking a reward system which requires a lot more thinking than coding IMO.

Just another noob thief…

in PvP

Posted by: mistsim.2748

mistsim.2748

Evan, can’t you throw us build templates? I know it’s not a super easy feature to implement but it ought to be less thinking and more coding. Not like reworking a reward system which requires a lot more thinking than coding IMO.

they said theyre working on build templates.

in PvP

Posted by: Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

how bout you give us a world editor?

i want to have the ability to:

take any map in the game.
draw boundary lines,
set own rules etc.
make a custom game room out of that.

for example,

i can take divinity’s reach.
set boundary lines to be the whole of the upper city.
remove downed state.
use pve gear
make it free for all death match.
disable all skills 1 – 0
disable all traits
set a fixed health
set a fixed movement speed increase or variable it, i.e. +1% movement speed for every second not in combat etc
fill up the level with water up to a certain level.
change the gravity to make it much ligher, people can jump higher.
allow using of skills in the air
give a pool of default skills to players
spawn power ups in the arena
spawn weapons in the arena

i want something like this.
let us make our own arenas.

sand box, please.

(edited by Deimos Tel Arin.7391)

in PvP

Posted by: waka.9826

waka.9826

draw boundary lines,
set own rules etc.

for example,

remove downed state.
use pve gear
disable all skills 1 – 0
disable all traits
set a fixed health
set a fixed movement speed increase or variable it, i.e. +1% movement speed for every second not in combat etc

sand box, please.

It took them a whole year to add a broken solo q system, do you honestly think they can provide us with this?

in PvP

Posted by: garethh.3518

garethh.3518

An example would be a completely reworked reward system. Those are the things we’re working on. It’s taking a lot of time and hard work to get there, but the payoff will be worth it.

I get it, its not slap together simple… but you’re in a company.
You guys work 40~ hour weeks.
It shouldn’t take a year for a team of devs to finally get around to starting to work on a real rewards system…

Something in the cogs of GW2 PvP is broken… and people are really curious as to what.

Rewards systems are the foundation of any F2P/B2P game, its where the companies tend to make their money… its usually always the first thing thought up and the most polished…
GW2’s is next to non-existant and you even hired on a real world economist to help…
Seriously, what is wrong with the game?
Why is there a hitch in literally everything you guys do???

in PvP

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

draw boundary lines,
set own rules etc.

for example,

remove downed state.
use pve gear
disable all skills 1 – 0
disable all traits
set a fixed health

sand box, please.

It took them a whole year to add a broken solo q system, do you honestly think they can provide us with this?

hmmm one can always dream right?

you can’t deny my rights to dream!

in PvP

Posted by: Atiar.5469

Atiar.5469

draw boundary lines,
set own rules etc.

for example,

remove downed state.
use pve gear
disable all skills 1 – 0
disable all traits
set a fixed health

sand box, please.

I think it would be easier for you if you played an old school fps , rather than try and turn guild wars into one.

I mean remove all proffesion skills? Have low gravity? Do you want guns with that too?
I want to play a mmo, not an fps.

I think allowing custom maps to be played publicly with modifications like the ones above would incredibly cheapen the combat .

If this is what people are hoping happens to gw2 , you guys will never be happy!

I never really played those types of fps’s but I’m sure people could reccomend good ones to you?

in PvP

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

draw boundary lines,
set own rules etc.

for example,

remove downed state.
use pve gear
disable all skills 1 – 0
disable all traits
set a fixed health

sand box, please.

I think it would be easier for you if you played an old school fps , rather than try and turn guild wars into one.

I mean remove all proffesion skills? Have low gravity? Do you want guns with that too?
I want to play a mmo, not an fps.

I think allowing custom maps to be played publicly with modifications like the ones above would incredibly cheapen the combat .

If this is what people are hoping happens to gw2 , you guys will never be happy!

I never really played those types of fps’s but I’m sure people could reccomend good ones to you?

it will be a custom game.

u dun have to play in it if you do not like it.

in PvP

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

besides, anet will make monies when people spend gems on these custom games editor.

the current custom arena kit is pathetic.

in PvP

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

besides, with a true flexible custom game editor, people can create their own southsun survival etc.

lions arch free for all death match etc.

in PvP

Posted by: GankSinatra.2653

GankSinatra.2653

Its because the game launched with a huge part of pvp infrastructure missing. They could have pretty much developed the game for another year pvp-wise, but hey, pve was ready and they wanted the moneez. Though i guess the game now has a good basis, some spectator mode issues and lack of game modes withstanding, and leaderboard issues that is..lol.

in PvP

Posted by: Zinwrath.2049

Zinwrath.2049

Honestly, the players who love playing CCG’s (aka want 2000 options going into a match to customize thus creating a never near balanced scenario) are a minority, and this is obvious and who is left.

Creating a more simple to dive into game like League, TF2, smite etc. Would have been a better choice. I think shrinking down the runes considerably would have/still is an incredibly smart decision. Also shrinking down the sigils and possibly even creating fewer more generic (evenly split stat) amulets with the option of which gem do you want in it to push your stats into the direction of your play style vs the MASS stats in a certain area creating the unstoppable force/immovable object builds that plague every game that does this.

Your trait system already offers tons of neat customizations, you really never needed much past that…if each class only had 5 tabs you could play for play styles, you’d still have 40 play styles to master in spvp.

So, right now..you need massive guides to know what sigil/trait/rune/mastertrait/utility/amulet/gem before you can even be competitive due to the high number of “nub traps” aka…options in the game that are vastly inferior and will create a huge handicap for the player furthering their upset at trying to learn the basic combat tactics of the game (which combat ALONE is a huge learning curve outside all this pre-build tactics).

I’m just saying what you should do if you REALLY want a larger player base, and more people funneling in to try it out/play it. Right now its just silly…and it also adds to your needing TONS of time to balance things dueing to having NO clue what the slightest change will do being as there are 1000 options between all the variables I just listed that it could effect.

in PvP

Posted by: Mr Mango.3504

Mr Mango.3504

People want buggy unfinished unQAed modes eh?

I’m Mango. Fight on!

in PvP

Knote.2904

Honestly, the players who love playing CCG’s (aka want 2000 options going into a match to customize thus creating a never near balanced scenario) are a minority, and this is obvious and who is left.

Creating a more simple to dive into game like League, TF2, smite etc. Would have been a better choice. I think shrinking down the runes considerably would have/still is an incredibly smart decision. Also shrinking down the sigils and possibly even creating fewer more generic (evenly split stat) amulets with the option of which gem do you want in it to push your stats into the direction of your play style vs the MASS stats in a certain area creating the unstoppable force/immovable object builds that plague every game that does this.

Your trait system already offers tons of neat customizations, you really never needed much past that…if each class only had 5 tabs you could play for play styles, you’d still have 40 play styles to master in spvp.

So, right now..you need massive guides to know what sigil/trait/rune/mastertrait/utility/amulet/gem before you can even be competitive due to the high number of “nub traps” aka…options in the game that are vastly inferior and will create a huge handicap for the player furthering their upset at trying to learn the basic combat tactics of the game (which combat ALONE is a huge learning curve outside all this pre-build tactics).

I’m just saying what you should do if you REALLY want a larger player base, and more people funneling in to try it out/play it. Right now its just silly…and it also adds to your needing TONS of time to balance things dueing to having NO clue what the slightest change will do being as there are 1000 options between all the variables I just listed that it could effect.

Yet Hearthstone is insanely popular and easy to understand and get into.

in PvP

Posted by: Shukran.4851

Shukran.4851

Deimos Tel Arin.7391 unreal tournament or quake should be your game. glhf

in PvP

Posted by: Xom.9264

Xom.9264

Just make deathmatch some leader boards for it team and solo and leave the community alone thats all it will take trust me.

Xomox ~Human Necro/Engineer ET

in PvP

Posted by: Zinwrath.2049

Zinwrath.2049

Yet Hearthstone is insanely popular and easy to understand and get into.

Great example!

Hearthstone was actually a game I was going to use as an example. Its an example of taking a more complicated game “Legends of Norrath” and simplifying it down so everyone can jump in easily.

I just didn’t think people would get the reference as Legends of Norraths not that huge of a hit anymore.

(edited by Zinwrath.2049)

in PvP

Posted by: Laiboch.4380

Laiboch.4380

Why not add some really simple base things such as gaining EXP from PVP? You already do this with Crafting. Allowing players to completely ignore all content to level a toon to 80. Why not give PVPers EXP for PVP. You might actually get more PVPers venturing out of the mist into WvW or PVE that way.

Zoe Pain [GASM]
DB Night Crew

in PvP

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

i want guild wars 2 quake style thanks

in PvP

Posted by: Coulter.2315

Coulter.2315

Dragon Bash Arena?

in PvP

Posted by: Seren.6850

Seren.6850

I’ve watched enough cooking shows to know people walk out when they get too hungry.

My sis is a chef and she can cook 100’s of beautiful meals at an alarming rate.

Enough with that, I stopped playing a month or two ago, still pop on the forums to see if anythings changed (it hasnt, no new dungeons since fractals, classes havnt been balanced for months, if you’re not a fan of living story the games not for you. oh plus I need 30 ascended weapons to get all my alts up to date yey, I don’t even like crafting)

the reason arathi basin (wow) was so much better than spvp in gw2 is because you didnt have to stand in AOE spam to hold a point, you just had to interrupt anyone channeling the flag

SoS original -“They mostly come out at night … mostly”
[FIRE] Serene Snow, Warrior

in PvP

Knote.2904

I’ve watched enough cooking shows to know people walk out when they get too hungry.

My sis is a chef and she can cook 100’s of beautiful meals at an alarming rate.

Enough with that, I stopped playing a month or two ago, still pop on the forums to see if anythings changed (it hasnt, no new dungeons since fractals, classes havnt been balanced for months, if you’re not a fan of living story the games not for you. oh plus I need 30 ascended weapons to get all my alts up to date yey, I don’t even like crafting)

the reason arathi basin (wow) was so much better than spvp in gw2 is because you didnt have to stand in AOE spam to hold a point, you just had to interrupt anyone channeling the flag

Oooh they should really consider making point capping based on flag capturing instead.

Would love to see an arathi basin sized (flag capture) conquest map.

in PvP

Posted by: TheZeus.8617

TheZeus.8617

We will see… it already took on guy a year of grinding to get lvl 70 in spvp… the reward is skins. AND the skins you have to go to PVE for.. i am sorry but that is bs for those that dont want to. WHAT happened to ANets philosophy of if you want to pvp wvw or pve you can without having to do the other.. there was something for everyone now… it is not like that at all. I HAVE to BUY BL keys to open chests.. so my RL money b/c i dont have ANY gold to try and get a skin.. guess what After 200 keys not a single skin. So thats why you will never get a dime of my money again anet.. you need to FIX the system ASAP! Before MORE leave spvp… its already dead enough as it is.

Athena War Goddess
[TWIN] Anvil Rock

in PvP

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Dragon Bash Arena?

yes, but i want
to choose my own locations (any map in the game, then draw boundary lines to focus on a particular area)
make it free for all arena
use pve or pvp gear
additional custom rules etc
spawn weapons, power ups, etc.
custom skill sets etc
custom everything.

etc etc

the current custom arena is not much custom at all at the moment.

in PvP

Phantom Master.9582

Thank you very much for your answer, I see what you mean, in a world were meat is rare and fruits aren’t, the fruit lovers will have an easier time getting what they want while the meat lovers will have a harder time.

So they stand jealous of the simplicity awarded to others but not themselves. Are we looking at the new reward system being released the 15 of oct? We want our meat Evan! XD

Eternity~!

in PvP

Posted by: MaXi.3642

MaXi.3642

An example would be a completely reworked reward system. Those are the things we’re working on. It’s taking a lot of time and hard work to get there, but the payoff will be worth it.

i’m really happy you said it and i’m very excited to see the result of that work it would be awesome to have a PVP system which rewards skill instead of only time consuming glory farming

in PvP

Posted by: K U T M.4539

K U T M.4539

Dragon Bash Arena?

yes, but i want
to choose my own locations (any map in the game, then draw boundary lines to focus on a particular area)
make it free for all arena
use pve or pvp gear
additional custom rules etc
spawn weapons, power ups, etc.
custom skill sets etc
custom everything.

etc etc

the current custom arena is not much custom at all at the moment.

Yeah, that’s what the pvp community needs! More minigames!

Basic [BS] NSP/Mag

in PvP

SuperHaze.4210

The teamwork required to cap a flag in Arathi Basin was great. It required a lot of peeling of the the flag capper and there’s no incentive for 5 people to cap the flag at one time.