PvP doesn't need soloQueue to be an Esport

in PvP

Posted by: Interpretor.3091

Interpretor.3091

I don’t know where the notion came from that soloQueue is needed for then game to be popular and an Esport. This game especially. GuildWars2 is an MMO (massively multiplayer online) platform. The main appeal for a large majority of players is playing with friends and guildies…why should PvP be any different? It’s not like you’re going to get better as a solo queue player anyways. There is no communication, no rotation call-outs or bursting targets. You SHOULD be punished for not playing with a team. It’s a part of the game. SoloQueue is what it is and you should know that going into it. If it doesn’t please you, unranked queues are available. Teams won’t queue into unranked games anymore because they are actually trying to get better as a team instead of crying about things on the forums.
Games like CSGO and LoL thrive as very popular eSports games and have generally the same Matchmaking as Guildwars2. In fact, CSGO Match making puts you against full enemy teams all of the time and that game has absolutely sky rocketed in terms of popularity this last year and a half. Their last major had over like 1.2million real time views on the stream of the grand finals. Only 2 years ago that number was only like 50k maybe.
Just make some friends, stop being nasty and elitist to everyone you meet and just have fun with the game. Ranked is ranked for a reason after all.

Warrior

in PvP

Posted by: UBcktieDL.5318

UBcktieDL.5318

To make it short:

People should get punished for having friends that play other games than gw2? I believe you are just worried about not being able to farm pugs to gain ranks in the league.

in PvP

Posted by: Nova Stiker.8396

Nova Stiker.8396

It’s not about why solo Q isn’t needed, it’s more along the lines of why not?

In League of Legends you can be Diamond in SoloQ yet be stuck at Gold rank in TeamQ, the dynamics and challenge of the game changes completely.

in PvP

Posted by: hackks.3687

hackks.3687

After the first instantiation of SoloQ team play and overall skill level in the player base took a perceptible nose dive, while toxicity and selfish-play aka solo Q tactics grew in prominence. There was nothing good that came out of the SoloQ. We don’t need it.

Hackkz/Riggamaroll
I’ve stayed at this party entirely too long

in PvP

Posted by: dank.3680

dank.3680

As a solo player I agree with the topic, we had soloQ once and it was trash. Besides that we don’t have the population to support separate queues.

#MAGSWAG: All class player. XOXO

in PvP

Posted by: Schurge.5194

Schurge.5194

@UBcktieDL

Nothing is preventing you from making new PvP related relationships in this game.

Champion Phantom
We are not friends.

in PvP

Posted by: MAN.9046

MAN.9046

SMITE and DoTA 2 dont have soloq, but wht they do have is a system that ensures that the majority of the time, both teams have an equal amount of premades, sooo 2+2 on a team and 2+2 on the other, sometimes its 3 on one and two on the other, VERY rarely its full premade vs pugs, its certainly not that way here, pug vs pug are rare, while full teamspeaak ratsquad vs pugs or just a duo q are too common

RIP
FeelsBadMan

in PvP

Posted by: Mogar.9216

Mogar.9216

because people have lives and can`t wait for team to show up. If you want esports you need to have a LARGE player base and like it or not solo casual players who will never play in the pro league ARE your player base.

in PvP

Posted by: Israel.7056

Israel.7056

What a beautiful rationalization post. Whether or not an esports game requires solo queue is irrelevant. I don’t care about esports. I care about what’s fun and what isn’t fun. It isn’t fun fighting premades. Sometimes I beat them but it’s an uphill battle every time.

I’m not going to try to make a team because that’s not what I find fun. I prefer playing by myself most of the time. I really enjoyed the old solo queue it was my main reason for playing this game before they got rid of it. I wish they’d bring it back.

Arenanet is lucky that the MMO market is so bad right now and that no game is offering what GW2 has but with a proper solo queue or else I wouldn’t be playing this game.

in PvP

Interpretor.3091

To make it short:

People should get punished for having friends that play other games than gw2? I believe you are just worried about not being able to farm pugs to gain ranks in the league.

This actually made me laugh out loud. I honestly can’t tell if it’s a troll post of not…honestly, I will have no problem farming you in leagues. ; )

Warrior

in PvP

Interpretor.3091

because people have lives and can`t wait for team to show up. If you want esports you need to have a LARGE player base and like it or not solo casual players who will never play in the pro league ARE your player base.

Which is exactly why unranked queues and custom made servers exist. Thank you for proving my point.

Warrior

in PvP

Posted by: Cam Ron.4170

Cam Ron.4170

It’s not about why solo Q isn’t needed, it’s more along the lines of why not?

In League of Legends you can be Diamond in SoloQ yet be stuck at Gold rank in TeamQ, the dynamics and challenge of the game changes completely.

The reason why not is the same reason LoL lumps in solo Q + duo Q (and starting season 6- even 5 man queues into ranked)

queue times.

GW2 does NOT have a pvp population to support 2 different ranked queues while maintaining consistent sub 5 minute queue times.

I never play on a team and only play solo, but I understood why Anet removed solo Q 2 years ago and understand why it remains non-existent.

Perhaps if they balanced it better or put ou more frequent balance changes, the population would grow naturally and we’d be able to have solo Q, but that is not the case

in PvP

Posted by: elainom.2918

elainom.2918

Make it simpler, you just cannot have a relevant league system if you mix up FULL premades against full soloers.

in PvP

Posted by: Ninjablob.9321

Ninjablob.9321

It’s not like you’re going to get better as a solo queue player anyways. There is no communication, no rotation call-outs or bursting targets
There is plenty of nonverbal communication going on. Apart from pings and map scribbles you need to watch your teammates, find out their build and role from how they play and pay attention to their skills and movement, that will give you indication whether they are going to defend, attack, or ambush.
Of course there is no place for any intricate plans that require precise cooperation, since you always have to assume a few braindead people who will cap close with 3 people at the beginning of the match (even in ranked league people want to get their daily RIGHT NOW). But a team with people who know what to do and can adapt even if others dont use #meta_build_Thief4b straight outta google, will have no problems against 90% of premade teams

Tldr: There is no need for you to speak what you are gonna do. Based on your class, weapons and everyone’s location, i know what you will do, because everyone has the same goal and tries to take the optimal route to get there

You should try solo queue, if you stop blaming everything on those pesky casuals you might learn a thing or two that will greatly benefit your teamplay

in PvP

Cam Ron.4170

Make it simpler, you just cannot have a relevant league system if you mix up FULL premades against full soloers.

And you cant have 2 separate queues, palatable queue times, AND a low sPvP population all at the same time.

Something has got to give- they chose separate queues had to give.

That’s coming from a solo only player…

What they should do is give a title/badge of distinction or something visible to players who queue up 75%+ (or some number) solo

in PvP

Posted by: Burtnik.5218

Burtnik.5218

Match premade vs premade olny.

Salt, salt, moar salt. So salty like fries from McDonald!
Playing Smite since mid s2, f broken gw2.

in PvP

Cam Ron.4170

While that would be ideal- queue times would be incredibly long and premades would just die out. The population of sPvPers is too low for this unfortunately.

in PvP

Posted by: Mogar.9216

Mogar.9216

Which is exactly why unranked queues and custom made servers exist. Thank you for proving my point.

if they made solo q unranked I`d be more than happy to play that. You know the reason they don`t is because if soloer all went solo q the premades would have 10 min que times like it was before they got rid of solo Q.

in PvP

Posted by: SlayerSixx.5763

SlayerSixx.5763

New players start in soloQ. If soloQ is remotely enjoyable, they’ll want to get better and better until they realize that the better players are waiting for them in teamQ. Then, with their above-soloQ-average skill, they make/join a team and eventually keep pushing till top tier. If the game isn’t enjoyable for newbies, there will never be new competition, quite simple. Sure, don’t balance around soloQ, but there needs to be better alternative for soloQers, lest the top tier matches remain static with the same dudes over and over.

Imagine if they threw a 12 year old Messi or Ronaldo against fully grown men at their peak without an option to at least practice against kids their age. I don’t know about you and I’m no fortune teller, but I’m certain they wouldn’t be where they are today if they were constantly farmed by older people. Sure, you could say that some of the guys at the top right now started at the bottom, in this crappy system, but are you completely convinced that you can’t foster a proper playing environment at all levels?

in PvP

Posted by: zinkz.7045

zinkz.7045

I don’t know where the notion came from that soloQueue is needed for then game to be popular and an Esport. This game especially. GuildWars2 is an MMO (massively multiplayer online) platform. The main appeal for a large majority of players is playing with friends and guildies…

Actually the large majority of players do both, at times they play with “friends” at other times they play solo, and yes it is a MMO, but playing with “friends” doesn’t equate to being any more “massively multiplayer” than playing solo as it were, some people play with 2 friends and basically play it like a co-op with zero interaction with the rest of the population, whilst there are some “solo” players that everyone knows because they interaxct far more with the “massively multiplayer” playerbase.

You SHOULD be punished for not playing with a team.

Not really, no one should be “punished”, if matchmaking is good then however people queue up should not matter, they should end up in a well matched game, however the matchmaking and population of GW2 PvP isn’t good, if you think trying to ‘force’ people into teams is goign to work then I suggest you go look at every other MMO practically where PvP has died, often in part because most people simply go play something else when the matchmaking is bad.

And that goes for both sides, unless you are a grade 1 noob then it is boring as hell queuing as a team then having some lopsided blowout of a match because you are up against 5 solo players.

Games like CSGO and LoL thrive as very popular eSports games and have generally the same Matchmaking as Guildwars2.

Nonsense, the first difference is they have huge populations, LoL for example has 65 million active players, terrible matchups are what they should be a rarity.

They are also much more favourable to random groups because they have much better tools for communication, CS:GO has buyilt in voice comms, and both CS:GO & LoL have in much more extensive in game commands/pings than GW2. In addition to that composition is much less of an issue, obviously in CS:GO, but also in LoL where you have selection part for certain roles beforehand, but also in that by the nature of the game people play many heroes, where as in MMOs like GW2 it is common for people to be far more attached to a single class, so is much more common to get bad comps.

CS:GO also has a much higher skill-cap, is less dependent on the type of teamwork in GW2 and is much easier for a good player to carry, so solo vs pre-made means less if the matchmaking is okay, because a very good player can carry hard in that game, unlike GW2 which is a low skilled joke in comparison and where skill largely consists of rotations which is greatly helped by being in a team on TS, even if the players are mechanically kitten and can’t recognize the most basic of animations.

(edited by zinkz.7045)

in PvP

Israel.7056

While that would be ideal- queue times would be incredibly long and premades would just die out. The population of sPvPers is too low for this unfortunately.

How do you know? Maybe people would flock to the game to play solo queue again with all the new features and queue times would be short.

in PvP

Cam Ron.4170

How do you know? Maybe people would flock to the game to play solo queue again with all the new features and queue times would be short.

For solo-q they would be short. For teams they would be much, much longer.

They promote GW2 as a more casual, guild-friendly game and wouldn’t want to shaft premades.

SoloQ and premades use to be separate, then they integrated them because nobody did premade

in PvP

Israel.7056

They promote GW2 as a more casual, guild-friendly game and wouldn’t want to shaft premades.

SoloQ and premades use to be separate, then they integrated them because nobody did premade

So you’re saying that you think that they integrated the queues to force solo players to play against premades?

in PvP

Posted by: DiogoSilva.7089

DiogoSilva.7089

Without Solo Queue, premades farm pugs and get free points. Is that esports?

in PvP

Cam Ron.4170

So you’re saying that you think that they integrated the queues to force solo players to play against premades?

They did it because there weren’t enough people playing premade

in PvP

Posted by: DiogoSilva.7089

DiogoSilva.7089

And after getting farmed several times, pugs will stop playing pvp altogether instead of wasting their time with a broken and unfun system.

And then, there won’t be enough people playing anything.

in PvP

Cam Ron.4170

And after getting farmed several times, pugs will stop playing pvp altogether instead of wasting their time with a broken and unfun system.

And then, there won’t be enough people playing anything.

There are a lot of people doing fine solo

in PvP

Posted by: Jourdelune.7456

Jourdelune.7456

I am with you on this.

Ranked queue should only be team based, so it bring more incentives to form team and being in a team.

It would forces people to be more consistent with their team. Put more value on team. Right now, it’s extremely hard to get the same 5 premade consistently over a 2 month time frames.

So, since the League or Ranked queue is the only way to farm Legendaries… it would had bring more PVER to convert seriously to PVP and make team of that… but O wait… they will go back to PVE soon enough, so it’s only a patch over a problem.

We need more incentives for TEAM value in the game.

Dal Aï Lhama (Tempest), Dal Lahu Akbar (DH), Lord Dhal of Dharma (Scrapper) 12k+ spvp games.
Former Team Captain of ggwp (ESL weekly), GLHF (AG), MIST[CORE] spvp alliance guild.
https://www.reddit.com/r/GuildWars2PvPTeams/

in PvP

Posted by: Zanther Deathbringer.4762

Zanther Deathbringer.4762

I love the “the population isnt big enough for 2 ques” excuse.

That excuse alone is the reason this game will never make it in the esports world.

in PvP

Israel.7056

As I recall a lot of people would actually solo q into team arena just to avoid skyhammer and spirit watch. There was also a big problem with 4v5 because no match ready feature. They got rid of solo queue presumably because at the end there the queues were 15m+ for some people and Arenanet erroneously concluded that this was because there weren’t enough people playing their game to sustain two separate queues rather than a direct result of a terrible system they were just getting ready to revamp.