PvP has seriously bad game design.

in PvP

Posted by: uberkingkong.8041

uberkingkong.8041

What class has too many stuns?

He probably got stunlocked by a stunlock warrior.

in PvP

Posted by: masskillerxploit.2165

masskillerxploit.2165

So to touch on the OP’S post. The game mode, style, and combat is actually not broken….. on the high tier level, most of the time the teams are very uneven skill/knowledge wise in soloq, but the few times where there is an equal amount of high tier players on both sides of the solo q game, it feels like gw2 isnt so bad and is actually very refreshingly fun. There are 2 easy solutions to “fix” or help the unexperienced /mid/low tier solo q/team q games (these solutions have been mentioned countless times!) 1)implement ladders and leagues to fix matchmaking 2)implement more ways of communication through various forms of “pinging” (if you ever played Lol or Dota, you know what I mean). With these solutions implemented gw2 would see a gradually growth, filling in the now enormous gaps between high, mid, and low tier players.

Sry for whatever grammar or sentence structure mistakes you find. This entire post was done by phone.

Ferox, multiclass’r, ESL’r
Team Lead For Radioactive [dK] B Team

in PvP

Posted by: Goliath.7546

Goliath.7546

What class has too many stuns?

He probably got stunlocked by a stunlock warrior.

LoL, warriors are the most harmless force on the battlefield. No, I have never been stunlocked by a warrior. Enter engineers and rangers.

in PvP

Posted by: Daishi.6027

Daishi.6027

1. I do think downed state can use an adjustment but over all the mechanic is fine.

2. I wouldn’t mind diminishing returns on other sources if multiple players stun you, if a single player built for stunlocks it’s fair since you usually have to give something up and build design and diversity is what we strive for. The only problem with this is the abundance of low risk survivability builds that will virtually never die and contest a point without significant hard focus and lock down.

3. The only part of this that might be true is “they’re hands down the only class worth playing in PvP if you want to have any fun.” and that’s heavily opinion oriented.

4. IMO the reflection of skill in a 1v1 between builds that don’t counter each other and anyone could win I actually really think is superb. 2v2’s are pretty awesome as well. I do feel there are complications to 5v5 but mostly things imposed by the meta. Such as class swapping among other things.

“I control time and space; you can’t break free.~”
“Maybe I was the illusion all along!”

in PvP

Posted by: Kugkug.8795

Kugkug.8795

peeps that love or don’t mind the downed mechanic are literally the only ones still playing the pvp in this game. The pvp player pool in this game is tiny because of major issues, unsatisfying pvp downed mechanics being one of them.

still it is super easy to get into the pvp in this game with the normalized gear and no need to level. It feels good when you get to use your flash finisher on someone, usually after they disappear or knock you down 2-4 annoying times.

The pvp in this game is pretty empty for valid and obvious reasons. The remaining population is kinda the last people that will have a productive discussion with you. They like it as it is mostly and just want balance changes.

The devs already said their ENTIRE system revolves around the downed mechanic so there is no chance it will change significantly.

some mmo’s have pvp with millions of players. some mmo’s have tiny pvp populations like this one. Shame really, everyone had such hopes for GW2 developing on GW1’s foundation.

This one doesn’t appear to be dying. Just small and steady.

in PvP

Goliath.7546

I don’t see why this issue isn’t recognized by devs. PvP is completely broken and I have strong evidence.

I join a match, look at the scoreboard, and this is what I see: 1 warrior (me), 7 rangers, a few engis. This is not an isolated case. If PvP were even near balanced we would see other classes being touched.

I fight a necromancer, get him down to almost no health, and 2 rangers show up. You can imagine how that went. I would’ve been easy to finish of the necromancer if I had had even ONE second without being stunned by the stupidly excessive amount of stun abilities. My couple of stunbreak abilities are obviously not enough.

I created a necromancer character, and without even a 4 or 5 slot skill and just randomly, hastily chosen PvP build (I know hardly anything about necromancer) I was finding FAR more and easier success in PvP in my first couple of games.

It’s broken. Thief and Mesmer need overall nerfs, ranger and engi need certain builds nerfed, and the entire game needs fewer stuns.

in PvP

Posted by: Bran.7425

Bran.7425

By stuns are you meaning all hard cc or just “Stun”?

Because at best 2 ranger are only bring two Stuns each, and If you expect to win a 3 v 1 just because you are warrior then I think that mode is not for you.

Pets have been hidden due to rising Player complaints.

in PvP

Goliath.7546

By stuns are you meaning all hard cc or just “Stun”?

Because at best 2 ranger are only bring two Stuns each, and If you expect to win a 3 v 1 just because you are warrior then I think that mode is not for you.

? I didn’t say I want to win 3v1’s…I just want the kill that I earned. And it’s impossible to finish people with rangers spamming stuns.

in PvP

Posted by: johnsonade.9547

johnsonade.9547

Here’s what you absolutely have to learn about conquest pvp, OP.

1) it is absolutely unfair
2) everything each class has to bring to the table is unfair
3) in that way it’s balanced
4) pride will get you killed
5) sometimes getting killed isn’t that bad compared to what you gain

1) because it’s 5 on 5, any random number from 1-5 can face another 1-5. that means 1-3, 2-4, 5-1, 1-2 etc.
2) eviscerate is unfair to a light armor class, fear is unfair on skyhammer, immobilize is unfair in a team fight, bombs and turrets are unfair to anyone trying to decap a point, mesmer confusion tactics are unfair to anyone with trouble targeting, thief burst can kill you before you know it’s there, guardians healing to full after you got them to 5% several times during a match is unfair, rangers bursting you down before you’re aware of their presence is unfair.
3) All unfair, but each profession has it, which adds variety and strategic balance, just like the differences in down states. (also you can cancel your stomp with dodges) so you can trick a downed opponent into whiffing their downed attack and resume stomping)
4) not properly rotating, being led like a bull into a 1v1 when you should be decapping or supporting a teammate or at least fighting on point. Stubbornly going for a stomp when you can rotate your camera while the stomp animation goes through to see who’s coming, or you can cleave the body as bait and down their ally when they come by. Now you have two fools out of the fight or distracted by you while your team gets control of the map.
5) if you end up in a fight you can’t win on a point you capped, 1v2 or whatever, but your team need 4 more ticks for the win and you’re fighting 2 dudes that don’t have launches, guess how downed state is beneficial even if you lose that fight. That’s right, if they can’t get the stomp off in time to decap your point, you’re going to still win even while downed since downed bodies can still contest points.

This is a team game. It’d be different if you were only dueling, but in a team game it’s tactical to take advantage of every situation you find yourself in to get that win. Let’s say you beat the hell out of a ranger that’s got ego problems. 9 times out of 10, that ranger is going to come back to where you are to try and beat you. Do with that knowledge what you will. Gank him, juke him, engage him off point if he has no hope of beating you. as long as your point is capped and you’re not dying, you will gain more points than he can with by killing you just by delaying him for 10-15 seconds. If a teammate shows up, it’s cool to run away and go gank some dudes on another point, putting matchups in your favor. It’s rotation, and even if you die a few times per match, you can always be doing something that puts your team ahead in some way. let’s say you die on far and your mesmer teammate is having a 1v1 at your home point. Well now you can go assist that friend, either resing her or bursting down her opponent (or both). Once you learn what PvP is about, then you can understand what your contribution is past beating or losing to someone in a 1v1.

(edited by johnsonade.9547)

in PvP

Goliath.7546

If we win the game, what happens? And if we lose?

………….

The music at the end of the game is different is about all. But if during that process we have no fun then what happens? We wasted our time is what. By the way, I don’t think saying that “since all the classes are broken, they are balanced” really is a good approach.

The fact is that the BS mechanics still exist, and rather than trying to put up with them and say “Weeeell, the real point is to capture flags so let’s ignore that all combat is horrendously balanced” we should try to fix the issues. Then we can have a fun, team based game…WITH half-way decent engagements.

(edited by Goliath.7546)

in PvP

Posted by: Rhomulos.2089

Rhomulos.2089

You can avoid being stunned by dodging, stability, blinds, blocks. Few stuns in the game are difficult to avoid. It’s not all about the stun being telegraphed either, you can also predict it. Engineer using an overcharged shot for example, they’re getting close to you for an obvious reason.

If you down someone, just because you beat them in a ‘fight’ doesn’t mean you beat them entirely. If you’re fighting a ranger you can avoid their interrupt by dodging/blocking/blinding/stability and avoid damage using invulns depending on class. Beating someone 1v1 and leaving them on the ground is one thing, but securing the kill is another. If you aren’t prepared for a stomp, retreating is a better idea so you can re-engage before they rez.

Warriors aren’t harmless if they aren’t trash. Good warriors will make you blow your CDs very early, stun/interrupt you at the right times, feint their attacks and then burst/condi you down while managing their condi removal through burst skills.

The better you get, the more balanced all of this will seem, if you play more you’ll understand how to deal with these situations more. Simply dodging, you’ll avoid a lot of grief before it happens.

Kluzu – Engineer (Main)
Kluzukaze – Mesmer
Rhomulos Prime – Revenant

in PvP

Goliath.7546

The better you get, the more balanced all of this will seem, if you play more you’ll understand how to deal with these situations more. Simply dodging, you’ll avoid a lot of grief before it happens.

No amount of skill can deal with imbalance. It’s simply not possible to beat a mesmer unless you have a teammate or you beat them with a very large pool of health left. I always kill the mesmers, but they have a too short recharge on teleporting away in downed mode. Coupled with too long take-down time it simply isn’t possible to kill a mesmer unless you have a teammate or you beat them with tons of health to spare (in which case the mesmer is likely just incompetent).

Emphasis on the fact that this isn’t simply from the perspective of a madcusbad warrior, I made a thief, a mesmer, and a necromancer character and verified how easy they were in PvP.

(edited by Goliath.7546)

in PvP

Posted by: johnsonade.9547

johnsonade.9547

I dunno, I beat mesmers 1v1 all the time. Granted I play on NA so the quality varies, as some mesmers seem to be able to burst you down in seconds, and some are popping with tells like an ear of corn in the sun.

In a mesmer fight is I do a few things (I’m an engineer). I don’t run meta so it’s usually bomb kit and normal weapons. First, I NEVER fight a mesmer off point unless I’m ganking one. A trick I use against them is going in and out of the point when they have lots of clones up. What happens is the real mesmer (a bad or desperate one lol) will start to decap it so I know where my target is even with a lot going on. I go for AoEs and big cleaves at that point And I have the advantage if they try to withdraw because clones don’t dodge or strafe. If the mes i’m targeting does dodge or strafe, I can chase it down.

When I down one, I AoE the heck out of them. They can only warp so far when downed and the clones die quickly. I rarely straight up stomp a mesmer tho. Heavy armor is the easiest to stomp besides engineers. Mesmers and thieves warp places so AoE helps me, and ele just delays it’s own death with the invuln. Ranger is probably the hardest for me to stomp depending on the situation. So thankful I have access to blinds.

So those are just anti-mesmer strats I taught myself because I had so much trouble with the matchup. Mesmers are actually my toughest fight usually. Necro is my worst matchup when I’m on a pure condition build, but If I run power rifle, utility CC and boon strip, the matchup in my favor.

Anyway, we can’t convince you that PvP is balanced if that’s what’s keeping you from enjoying it. You can argue us down about it, but you’re hearing from people that get wins and enjoy figuring out how to succeed in or outside of the current meta. I’m sure you know though that it is possible to one-shot or chain someone to death and secure the stomp before they know what hit them.

in PvP

Posted by: Rothem.8174

Rothem.8174

I would think that’s a good point to make if downed states weren’t so horribly unbalanced…

By the way complete stuns are a horrible game mechanic in any style of game. GW2 is the worst of all MMO’s I’ve ever played in this sense. Stop freezing my freakin screen Anet. Please. When I spend 30% of my play time with my character immobilized there is a very big issue with your game.

There are one or two stun break abilities available but considering one in 5 abilities is somewhat stun related this game is a disastrous freezefest.

Another reason why downed needs to go: it’s far more beneficial to revive a downed teammate than to try to kill whoever killed him because reviving is stupidly fast.

Q: What is the point of downed mode?

I don’t understand why you don’t understand the point of downed. Downed is actually a huge penalty for your team. There are times where i just don’t stomp someone because it’ll delay his respawn and baits his teammates. The respawn delay can mean a decap on far node.

A: The point of downed mode is to promote team play.

in PvP

Posted by: Rhomulos.2089

Rhomulos.2089

No amount of skill can deal with imbalance. It’s simply not possible to beat a mesmer unless you have a teammate or you beat them with a very large pool of health left. I always kill the mesmers, but they have a too short recharge on teleporting away in downed mode. Coupled with too long take-down time it simply isn’t possible to kill a mesmer unless you have a teammate or you beat them with tons of health to spare (in which case the mesmer is likely just incompetent).

Emphasis on the fact that this isn’t simply from the perspective of a madcusbad warrior, I made a thief, a mesmer, and a necromancer character and verified how easy they were in PvP.

You can stomp a mesmer first try with good timing and a little luck. Start stomp animation, cancel and start again as they’re casting their teleport/stealth. When they reappear your animation will finish, defeating them.

1v1ing a mesmer is simple for some classes and a nightmare for others, some builds are very bad against a tanky mesmer with a lot of stealth. But you’ll always be able to beat them at the end of the day if you build correctly for what they do. Trust me on that one. PU condi is the most difficult to deal with, but you can deal with it if you have patience and good positioning.

Kluzu – Engineer (Main)
Kluzukaze – Mesmer
Rhomulos Prime – Revenant

in PvP

Posted by: Capitol City.4856

Capitol City.4856

I have some trouble against mesmers on my ele, but only because I’m new with an ele. My guardian easily 1v1’s mesmers. Stealth is an easy mechanic to ignore, the only thing it’s really good for when it comes to mesmers is escaping, but even then only their elite stealth is going to effectively do the trick. You’re just going to have to learn to fight them. No amount of forum rage will change this.

in PvP

Posted by: Writetyper.1985

Writetyper.1985

> If I had a dollar for every stun ability in this game…I spend more time stunned than I do in control of my body. It’s extremely aggravating to have my character immobile for half my play session. Make combat smoother and more mobile, not based on annoying stun-locks.

You can hit the “dodge” key on your keyboard for a 100% stun reduction, it’s great!

Mortryde/Cold/Thugmentalist Bara
really bad engineer

in PvP

Posted by: Saiyan.1704

Saiyan.1704

I’ve played other MMO’s where you literally get stunned locked 10 seconds at a time…In Every match…rookies. This game is a breath of fresh air in comparison.
Then again what do I know. I roll a Guardian and usually have no issues with rangers, thieves and mesmers.

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

in PvP

Goliath.7546

I’ve played other MMO’s where you literally get stunned locked 10 seconds at a time…In Every match…rookies. This game is a breath of fresh air in comparison.
Then again what do I know. I roll a Guardian and usually have no issues with rangers, thieves and mesmers.

We shouldn’t use bad games as justification for this game being flawed. That’s like murdering someone and saying, “Well, I know people who have kitten d (rolls eyes, supposed to say a word meaning forcefully apply intercourse) AND murdered people, so it’s okay.”

in PvP

Posted by: Bhima.9518

Bhima.9518

This game has the single worst multiplayer component of any game I have ever played. My analysis is based on general PvP principles which apply to MMO’s and FPS games etc. so it’s not specifics I’m getting into but rather general ideas.

2 – If I had a dollar for every stun ability in this game…I spend more time stunned than I do in control of my body. It’s extremely aggravating to have my character immobile for half my play session. Make combat smoother and more mobile, not based on annoying stun-locks.

Wait WHAAA??? Have you ever played, you know, the most popular MMO in history (WoW)? The stuns in GW2 are literally much ado about nothing compared to most other MMOs.

in PvP

Posted by: Ryan.9387

Ryan.9387

Try archeage for bad pvp design.

You will love gw2 again.

Ranger | Elementalist

in PvP

Posted by: HamHat.5201

HamHat.5201

lol can’t tell if this post is troll or not? Everything mention i love about the fights.

in PvP

Goliath.7546

lol can’t tell if this post is troll or not? Everything mention i love about the fights.

You nailed it. Since my post is in disagreement with your opinion, it is most certainly a troll post. I have some things that I disagree with with Obama. Therefore, Obama is a massive troll whose only goal is to troll the USA.

Again, at the last two posts: Archeage may be bad and WoW may be worse, but that doesn’t mean that it’s okay for GW2 to be bad.

in PvP

Posted by: jdawgie.1835

jdawgie.1835

About the mesmers just taking getting used to: if they’re balanced why are 90% of players I see mes/thief/necro? There’s the odd rebel engi/elementalist. And once in a blue moon I’ll see some poor soul using warrior (usually getting trolled by a mesmer).

I raised an eyebrow at this. I mean no offense to you bro and really this isn’t directed at you. However this is a l2p issue. If some1 cant handle their class they should seek coaching. I main a warrior and do great right now. You have to adapt. Warriors have 3 specs right now that are viable in 1v1 and teamfight depending on ur comp. So yeah

Inserrection [RIOT]

in PvP

Posted by: Bogy.2953

Bogy.2953

op is bad at game, nothing to see here

in PvP

Goliath.7546

^^Give proof and reasoning, like the productive among us have done, and I’ll take your opinion seriously.

Same for jdawgie. It’s like writing a math exam, you can’t just plop down an answer, give a proof and reasoning. For example, I can disprove your statements because I created a thief, necromancer and ranger character for the sole purpose of seeing if I just need to learn the ways of the PvP. Nope. It was easy mopping the floor with warriors/guardians.

Downed mode: currently it’s usually much more effective to revive a downed teammate even if there are enemies nearby because reviving is so fast. This is another problem that the downed mode raises. If a player downs someone, that person’s teammate should have to kill the player first before reviving becomes viable. Currently since it’s so easy to revive there is no tactic.

Based on a lot of the comments posted here and other threads (when people get particularly upset, LoL), it’s clear that there’s a lot of “fanboyism” going into the posts. I can guarantee that had these game mechanics been in any other game they would have been laughed at. So try to pull away from bias and use reasoning instead. When you do this, you’ll find it very hard to tell me that it should be more beneficial to revive a downed teammate in the presence of an enemy than to take out that enemy first and then revive the teammate. And that this is fair for the person who downed the first player and is now having to contend with 2 enemies (wow, such tactics).

(edited by Goliath.7546)