PvP is actually pretty good atm

in PvP

Posted by: Lordrosicky.5813

Lordrosicky.5813

Balance isn’t that bad. Nothing is really absurdly OP (although maybe staff ele becomes this as people learn it more?). Solo Q is fun. Team Q isn’t that bad. The population in tournaments is still solid. So anet have done well.

But we need:
1, New maps (where are they – have they given up?)
2, Something for high rated players in solo q – by which I mean making Q times shorter. Getting 12 minute Q times and then having to buy a new account to actually play the game SUCKS.
3, Less sustain – still not going to team Q seriously until it is skill based where the best comps are 5 bunkers with huge sustain (forgiving specs shouldn’t do good damage)

I recently got unbanned from making forum topics (new ones) – so I thought I would celebrate by posting something positive.

PvP in this game has moved in the right direction from its low point a while back. And balance is decent, although too many bunkers lets bad players do VERY well.

Also its easy to think of the “old days” as amazing meta. But it was BS too. Far point eles were broken with their RTL on 15s cd and with a 1600 range (lol). So lets not think everything was awesome way back when

Character: Henry rank million/Duke Henry
Necromancer/Casual Warrior
[Team] Best WvW guild of all time. EASILY.

in PvP

Posted by: vincecontix.1264

vincecontix.1264

I agree with most things you said, though in teamq 5 bunkers is most definitly not the best comp. Tq is actually where you can run zerker effectively(assuming your premade). In tq you can have more bursty specs because its so much easier to coordinate and focus down your targets.

Shikamaru X Thief, Warrior, Mesmer, Engi(FT leader)
Highest ranked reached 28 soloq
Isle of Janthir

in PvP

Posted by: Ostricheggs.3742

Ostricheggs.3742

The “old days” meta was post RTL nerf right before the curse tourney and up until dhuumfire.

Other than that side note, I disagree with your assessment that the meta is pretty good. It’s better than what it was before, but to say there isn’t major balance issues is kinda crazy.

Strength runes, warriors, balthazar/krait are the ones that come to mind. That is in addition to a variety of frustrations that seem to kitten off more players than actually give them trouble (like parrot runes and turret engis).

twitch.tv/ostricheggs MOTM/TOL 2/TOG NA/WTS Beijing winner. Message me for PvP Coaching
@$20 an hour! It’s worth it!

in PvP

Lordrosicky.5813

The “old days” meta was post RTL nerf right before the curse tourney and up until dhuumfire.

Other than that side note, I disagree with your assessment that the meta is pretty good. It’s better than what it was before, but to say there isn’t major balance issues is kinda crazy.

Strength runes, warriors, balthazar/krait are the ones that come to mind. That is in addition to a variety of frustrations that seem to kitten off more players than actually give them trouble (like parrot runes and turret engis).

I wouldn’t say the meta is great but its at least bearable. Warriors are too strong but not as overpowered as they were imo. They take more skill now at least.

in PvP

Posted by: Ostricheggs.3742

Ostricheggs.3742

I wouldn’t say the meta is great but its at least bearable. Warriors are too strong but not as overpowered as they were imo. They take more skill now at least.

Yea they aren’t as blatantly kittened as in the past, but compared to what they were last patch I’d say they’ve gotten a bit stronger if anything…

Strength runes + combustive shot =

twitch.tv/ostricheggs MOTM/TOL 2/TOG NA/WTS Beijing winner. Message me for PvP Coaching
@$20 an hour! It’s worth it!

in PvP

Lordrosicky.5813

Yea they aren’t as blatantly kittened as in the past, but compared to what they were last patch I’d say they’ve gotten a bit stronger if anything…

Don’t get me wrong. Warriors give me alot of trouble. I would like to see the fire field reduced in size by half to present more counter play and make it more skill based. But its not totally game breaking

in PvP

Posted by: Fingolfin.7451

Fingolfin.7451

To OP—>no…

in PvP

Posted by: Roe.3679

Roe.3679

Besides new maps and game modes, and passive play being pretty strong, I agree that pvp is in a good place. When nearly every class gets QQ it’s probably a good sign.

in PvP

Posted by: Bhawb.7408

Bhawb.7408

I think the biggest things we need are

1. New skills/traits (and significant reworks of bad things can fit here too, like if they rework Necromancer Axe), basically new things to play with, because while I enjoy the skills and whatnot that was given on launch, its been nearly 2 years with very few additions to the game

2. New maps, especially ones that are “competitive” but have interesting mechanics. You shouldn’t be able to so easily know who is going to win the game because the only way to comeback is hold a three cap for 5 minutes, there need to be more mechanics like Temple has where swings can occur quickly.

3. More reason to play in the higher levels. A tournament armor was just introduced, why not make an armor (a different one, keep that for just tournaments) that you can only get through maintaining a high ranking for a period of time, or introducing seasons and get it as a reward for being X rank at the end of the season, along with a change to the leaderboards (so people can’t just win 10 games on the very last week before the cutoff and end up ranked 10).

Have one armor (or other reward) exclusive to soloQ, and one to teamQ, to give incentive to people to climb the ladder, and make it harder to climb.

But of Corpse – Watch us on YouTube
My PvP Minion Build

in PvP

Posted by: zaced.7948

zaced.7948

lies! nothing but lies!

in PvP

Posted by: vincecontix.1264

vincecontix.1264

Yup the def stronger after the last patch. Wars are one of the classes that benefit the most from strength runes. When mights stacks are up with celestial amy the war can have over 2k power, 1.2k condi dmg 20+ health and close to 3k armor. On Axe/sword/LB set its just a bit to much.

Condition pressure from the spec is almost just as high as pure condi builds and with access to burning, bleeds, and torment its no surprise. If thats not enough the auto attacks from axe AA and eviscerate do so much direct damage. Then they have 3x stances and decent healing and condi removal.

The thing with this war(axe/lb) unlike turrets engi its viable(optimal/god tier) at higher levels of teamQ. Turrents can’t get heals or boon they are stationary and can be easily taken out by aoe. War+gaurd(support/bunker) will just wreck everything.

Shikamaru X Thief, Warrior, Mesmer, Engi(FT leader)
Highest ranked reached 28 soloq
Isle of Janthir