PvP spectator mode fix:

PvP spectator mode fix:

in PvP

Posted by: JonathanSharp.7094

JonathanSharp.7094

Game Design Lead

Next

Hey all,

We are fixing a bug with spectator mode that is preventing any team sizes larger than 1on1. We will disable spectators until our next hot-fix build, and then put them back out once the bug is fixed.

Custom arenas will also come on line later today as well. I’ll keep you guys posted as things happen.

PvP Team

IGN: Chaplan
“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.”
-Arthur Schopenhauer

PvP spectator mode fix:

in PvP

Posted by: Brutal Arts.6307

Brutal Arts.6307

Why didn’t you test this?

You have gotten what you paid for, all that remains is biweekly gemshop pushing.

PvP spectator mode fix:

in PvP

Posted by: Parisalchuk.9230

Parisalchuk.9230

Why didnt they design it better to begin with? Spectators count against max players… terrible.

O O O O I I I O – Spoons and Sporks [Soup] (Retired)
http://www.twitch.tv/parisalchuk

PvP spectator mode fix:

in PvP

Posted by: pullnointer.1476

pullnointer.1476

Why didnt they design it better to begin with? Spectators count against max players… terrible.

like what the kitten

PvP spectator mode fix:

in PvP

Previous

JonathanSharp.7094

Game Design Lead

Next

We did test, but internal servers and external servers are not the same. Our internal tests were fine. This is why we beta!

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.”
-Arthur Schopenhauer

PvP spectator mode fix:

in PvP

Posted by: ahuba.6430

ahuba.6430

rofl they obviously tested it, releasing stuff into live servers leads into new problems, kitten happens.

everyone thinks he’s a coder …

(edited by ahuba.6430)

PvP spectator mode fix:

in PvP

Posted by: Brutal Arts.6307

Brutal Arts.6307

rofl they obviously tested it, releasing stuff into live versions leads into new problems, kitten happens.

It’s like I’m really talking to a drone.

You have gotten what you paid for, all that remains is biweekly gemshop pushing.

PvP spectator mode fix:

in PvP

Posted by: Pyriall.5027

Pyriall.5027

We did test, but internal servers and external servers are not the same. Our internal tests were fine. This is why YOU beta for us!

Fixed that for you…

PvP spectator mode fix:

in PvP

Posted by: Cirax.9231

Cirax.9231

Would a public test server be feasible to implement? (After other priorities of course)

PvP spectator mode fix:

in PvP

Posted by: Under Web.2497

Under Web.2497

lol

Just one more valid reason for a Public Test Server
Instead of Every server being a Q3:Beta 3

PvP spectator mode fix:

in PvP

Pyriall.5027

Would a public test server be feasible to implement? (After other priorities of course)

No need, that’s what live servers are for.

PvP spectator mode fix:

in PvP

Posted by: uberkingkong.8041

uberkingkong.8041

rofl they obviously tested it, releasing stuff into live servers leads into new problems, kitten happens.

+1

He even posted this before others did. Hot fixing it right away. Its stupid how people are complaining.

PvP spectator mode fix:

in PvP

Pyriall.5027

+1

He even posted this before others did. Hot fixing it right away. Its stupid how people are complaining.

The complaints are more in line with why there isn’t an open PTR. This question has been posed since release and patch after patch there are things that are discovered on release to live.

PvP spectator mode fix:

in PvP

Posted by: Brinson.7289

Brinson.7289

We did test, but internal servers and external servers are not the same. Our internal tests were fine. This is why we beta!

Clone Live > Program > Test > Patch > Profit

\-\ Poquito (Engineer) /-/ Tarnished Coast
Not Sure If Serious [BZNZ] ||| Cynical [CYN]

PvP spectator mode fix:

in PvP

Posted by: Juan Ignacio.8903

Juan Ignacio.8903

so jon any estimate when the guild wars 2 game is released?

PvP spectator mode fix:

in PvP

Posted by: Sapphire.6703

Sapphire.6703

Bump for user awareness. Thanks for keeping us posted.

PvP spectator mode fix:

in PvP

Posted by: Swim.6830

Swim.6830

This thread made me laugh so much! Thanks guys, you’re awesome!

Zwim Elementalist
Consigliere
The Dragoon Brotherhood

PvP spectator mode fix:

in PvP

Posted by: IomegadriveOne.5291

IomegadriveOne.5291

I don’t understand this at all. So you have to join a game as a regular player, you don’t get automatically put into a mode where you just choose your team (like say TF2), you just get tossed on a team like normal which wastes space especially if there are multiple people coming in trying to spectate a popular match and may even cause multiple people to take up space that another person is trying to access which is bad for premade teams and shout casting. There is no password to join a team but allow spectator option, which would put other players automatically in spectate mode. Not only that but there is no button to click which would also put you in spectator mode. So seriously, is ArenaNet in THAT much of a rush to save sPvP that they release a spectator mode that seems half done and is intrusive? Hell, I clicked the eye beside the match names because I thought they would automatically put me in spectator mode. Instead I found out I have to actually interrupt a match going on in order to spectate, and someone also told me something that I have not been able to test, that I must wait for a match to END before I can spectate?

PvP spectator mode fix:

in PvP

Posted by: Ron Bergundy.3169

Ron Bergundy.3169

So wait a tick… this was working earlier?!

I was trying to spectate before, but I was placed on a team every time and had no option to spectate at all. Players were getting fairly kitten off because random people were dropping in and leaving – taking spots away from actual players.

Seems you lot at Anet have a lot of fixing to do in regards to this feature… I did love it in Gw1, so I hope it’s fixed very soon.

PvP spectator mode fix:

in PvP

Posted by: Fernling.1729

Fernling.1729

Kind of bs that we beta test features on a game that is supposedly live. Why not open up a PTR where features can actually be tested instead of throwing us broken content.

PvP spectator mode fix:

in PvP

Posted by: Farzo.8410

Farzo.8410

Dear ArenaNet, please add a downvote option as well so we can downvote all these dumb comments down in the mud so people wont be able to see them.

Some of these comments from other players are pathetic.

PvP spectator mode fix:

in PvP

Pyriall.5027

Kind of bs that we beta test features on a game that is supposedly live. Why not open up a PTR where features can actually be tested instead of throwing us broken content.

Don’t have the resources.

PvP spectator mode fix:

in PvP

Pyriall.5027

Dear ArenaNet, please add a downvote option as well so we can downvote all these dumb comments down in the mud so people wont be able to see them.

You have received 1 down vote for your comment.

PvP spectator mode fix:

in PvP

Posted by: Signet of Forums.4397

Signet of Forums.4397

The problem with that is that the very same people who make “dumb comments” can downvote stuff. Downvoting on Reddit is so abused (not used the way it is supposed to be), it’s pathetic…but not at all surprising.

Therefore we proceed to write a sig.

PvP spectator mode fix:

in PvP

Posted by: Volrath.1473

Volrath.1473

you know that Public Test Servers would help you test out these things allot better than internal servers…

Not saying you should test everything on a PTS, stuff like class balance ans stuff like that, that you wanna keep private and we all understand why but… stuff like arenas and spectator could have been widely tested buy us FOR FREE and would avoid this kind of mess in the main servers…

PvP spectator mode fix:

in PvP

Previous

JonathanSharp.7094

Game Design Lead

Spec mode is working as of this post. Live build fixed it.

-Arthur Schopenhauer

PvP spectator mode fix:

in PvP

Posted by: kailin.4905

kailin.4905

Spec mode is working as of this post. Live build fixed it.

Thanks for the quick fix.

PvP spectator mode fix:

in PvP

Posted by: Juan Ignacio.8903

Juan Ignacio.8903

Now that you actually doing stuff jon do u mind fixing or re writting the support website of gw2 that says that gw2 doesnt require a sub unless u wanna own a room in spvp?

PvP spectator mode fix:

in PvP

Volrath.1473

still can’t join in as a spectator if the map has more that 15 ppl playing it, is this intended?

PvP spectator mode fix:

in PvP

Volrath.1473

actually even in servers with 13/20 ppl in wont let me in, i get the server is full msg…

PvP spectator mode fix:

in PvP

Parisalchuk.9230

When is the bug where spectators dont show up in the player count going to be fixed? Almost every server is around 14/18 and ever one is full. Getting real frustrating trying to play.

How does this kind of thing pass your QA team?

This is also why spectators should NOT count towards the player limit. Its great playing in an arena that is ment to be 8v8 or 10v10 and having 12 people just spectate and it being 4v4… Especially when people who may actually want to play cant join because they are being blocked by spectators. Terrible design.

(edited by Parisalchuk.9230)

PvP spectator mode fix:

in PvP

Parisalchuk.9230

Hell, I cant even click the play now button and get in a game since it tries to put me into a full game.

PvP spectator mode fix:

in PvP

Posted by: Dsquaredcri.9421

Dsquaredcri.9421

Fix this spectator mode. Who is spectating should count as an active player in the game!

fix this bad stuff

Dsquaredcri, necro for Rush team

PvP spectator mode fix:

in PvP

Posted by: Sapphire.6703

Sapphire.6703

Great job Arenanet team!

Spectator mode definitely has some kinks to work out, but it’s looking awesome so far!

I can definitely see this being a very powerful addition to GW2 pvp in the long run when all the bugs are worked out.

PvP spectator mode fix:

in PvP

Posted by: Frellin.6318

Frellin.6318

I was spectating for a while to try out the feature. It seems spectators count against player cap for that server but are not counted in the list. Which brings up some questions.

Why do spectators count against the cap of those actively playing?

If a server holds 16 players (8 vs 8 ) than why now allow for 16 players + spectators?

Can we put a limit on the number of spectators other than those actively playing? That way not too many show up to lag the server.

If a server is full on players actively playing is no one supposed to be able to spectate?

These are just some of the questions I have. Also, if there is/were a split between active players and spectators it could be setup where spectators can join into the fight once a spot opens up. Also, when the server switches to a new map the active players would have priority and keep their spots. On map transition a spectator would stay a spectator until a spot opened up. I might think of more questions later.

Edit: Just wanted to say that it is a nice feature. I have enjoyed it but I can see people becoming aggravated if 1 person is spectating and keeping teams uneven.

PvP spectator mode fix:

in PvP

Posted by: Valkyriez.6578

Valkyriez.6578

No matter the MMO, every patch day in history has had teething problems especially if there are new features being implemented.

It’s called custom arena beta for a kitten good reason, to work out the bugs on the live client. If you can read, you would have known this already.

Don’t whinge about it. Play and provide meaningful feedback instead of rage posts. A PTR is a waste of time, bugs still occur when released into live status under heavy load.

Keep it coming arena net.

PvP spectator mode fix:

in PvP

Parisalchuk.9230

I was spectating for a while to try out the feature. It seems spectators count against player cap for that server but are not counted in the list. Which brings up some questions.

Why do spectators count against the cap of those actively playing?

If a server holds 16 players (8 vs 8 ) than why now allow for 16 players + spectators?

Can we put a limit on the number of spectators other than those actively playing? That way not too many show up to lag the server.

If a server is full on players actively playing is no one supposed to be able to spectate?

These are just some of the questions I have. Also, if there is/were a split between active players and spectators it could be setup where spectators can join into the fight once a spot opens up. Also, when the server switches to a new map the active players would have priority and keep their spots. On map transition a spectator would stay a spectator until a spot opened up. I might think of more questions later.

Edit: Just wanted to say that it is a nice feature. I have enjoyed it but I can see people becoming aggravated if 1 person is spectating and keeping teams uneven.

Another terrible issue is that spectators dont count towards the cap on the UI. So games which are full may show that there is space open. Its terrible.

PvP spectator mode fix:

in PvP

Posted by: pot.6805

pot.6805

I dunno, even with all the problems, I am still loving the spectator mode. So nice to see if other people play your class the same way and learn new stuff.

BeeGee
Beast mode

PvP spectator mode fix:

in PvP

Posted by: Silferas.3841

Silferas.3841

I don’t understand this community. I am getting disgusted by all the whiners who have never had to do a piece of programming code, but all are full of themselves spouting advice at the developers. Have you ever truly done any coding on your own guys (all the ones who are complaining)? With programs that are 1/1000 of the size of gw2, it’s already hard to avoid bugs, and the difficulty of that grows exponentially. It’s beta, there WILL be bugs, deal with it. As a community, we’ve been asking for faster feature releases for the past several months, and anet listened and in 3 months we’ve had matchmaking, mmr, leaderboards, custom arenas, spectator mode, they even started doing some proper balance changes with impact this last patch.

Thanks for the effort ANet, keep up the good work, you are headed the right way.

[Path] of the Immortals – a guild for veterans – Join us
[S]illy [L]ittle [U]gly [T]rolls – our little dungeon forum community
“My mind has left, my body follows”

PvP spectator mode fix:

in PvP

Posted by: buttski.6135

buttski.6135

you know… there is something like public test server to test such things… just a little protip, you can thank me later.

A day without blood is a day without sunshine.
Desolation

PvP spectator mode fix:

in PvP

Posted by: cuge.5398

cuge.5398

There are still some bugs with Arenas, 90% of times i try to join a game i get an error saying “the world you are attempting to join is full….. bla bla”
code error: 33.53.3.598.101

PvP spectator mode fix:

in PvP

Posted by: Opc.4718

Opc.4718

Stop being condescending to the developers, I guarantee they know what they’re doing better than you do. There was a bug after a large patch, it was fixed within a few hours, everyone can get over it now.

Oh yeah, but the issue with the spectator counting towards player cap does need to be fixed.

Kehlirixx Q | Nixx Q | Classic Bunker

PvP spectator mode fix:

in PvP

Parisalchuk.9230

I don’t understand this community. I am getting disgusted by all the whiners who have never had to do a piece of programming code, but all are full of themselves spouting advice at the developers. Have you ever truly done any coding on your own guys (all the ones who are complaining)? With programs that are 1/1000 of the size of gw2, it’s already hard to avoid bugs, and the difficulty of that grows exponentially. It’s beta, there WILL be bugs, deal with it. As a community, we’ve been asking for faster feature releases for the past several months, and anet listened and in 3 months we’ve had matchmaking, mmr, leaderboards, custom arenas, spectator mode, they even started doing some proper balance changes with impact this last patch.

Thanks for the effort ANet, keep up the good work, you are headed the right way.

Im insulted by the statement, and I question if you yourself have any programming experience. I myself AM a practicing software engineer for a company working on much larger projects then ArenaNet is. It is not hard to avoid most bugs with proper development, reviewing and testing. Testing being the critical point here. All new features should be completely tested to the best of their abilities and all bugs fixed before ship date. This is not happening. SOME, and I stress some, of these bugs are unforseen due to the nature of the development environment compared to deployment but the vast amount of UI bugs, or features that dont quite work (current UI bug for spectators not counting in the lobby display, unable to join as spectator if the teams are full, Play Now no longer functional 100% of the time) should have been caught during Anets QA process.

To respond to your second point, that in 3 months we got matchmaking, leaderboards, arenas, spectator mode… we were promised all those things before launch, shortly after launch, shortly after the start of the year and now finally a first iteration of these features has appeared. How easily you forget the promises that this company has given to us and failed to deliver once they hand you a new toy.

PvP spectator mode fix:

in PvP

Posted by: Silferas.3841

Silferas.3841

@Parisalchuk : while I do agree with some of the points you have made, you forget the influence market has on the development of software. While some large products may have the luxury of test-driven development (which is usually the products being developed on contract), some products need to arrive at the market at a precise time to be successful, which is the case with all games. In such cases, testing usually moves down the priority ladder and further fixes and polishing is done once the product is released and revenue is secured. While the quality of the product may suffer this way, from the financial point of view, this is the only reasonable strategy one can choose. GW2 was released with pvp being far from finished, so further development had to be done down the road, but you yourself should be aware how detrimental it is to your quality of work when you have multiple responsibilities on your shoulders, all of which need to be taken care of simultaneously. Also you should be aware, that test-driven development is much more resource and time demanding than other development methods, and it was the player base which demanded products be released as soon as possible, while developers were asking for time to make sure things were ready. Well guess what? They listened to the demands of the community and now everybody’s kittening about it.

Most importantly of all, GW2 has already established itself as a successful product, with pvp being almost insignificant, if not detrimental to it’s success. Promises being made and broken is nothing new in the industry and honestly, looking at this from the viewpoint of a company, it’s surprising they have even invested resources into bringing pvp back to life. If we want this trend to continue, we should show our appreciation for being given a second chance rather than throwing contempt at the devs for listening to what we asked of them. I don’t get why people are so full of themselves. First of all a customer is only worth to the company as much, as the potential amount of money he can spend on it. At the moment (while we still can’t purchase custom arenas), that makes us pvp players almost worthless. And your point of view also baffles me. Have they not taught you at school, that different marketing strategies require different development methods? Doing business is not about making a fine product, it’s about making money. Think about it a little, as a software engineer you should be intelligent enough to get my point.

[Path] of the Immortals – a guild for veterans – Join us
[S]illy [L]ittle [U]gly [T]rolls – our little dungeon forum community
“My mind has left, my body follows”

(edited by Silferas.3841)

PvP spectator mode fix:

in PvP

Posted by: ryston.7640

ryston.7640

sniff It’s the 1 year anniversary of your last beta event and you’re right about where you should have been hen.

Cute.