Queues better...community just as bad as ever

in PvP

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

So, overall, I’ve liked the PvP changes. Some serious tweaking still needs to occur to keep ranked match queue times reasonable, although I think that’s more a result of few people attempting ranked matches than anything else.

However…the one down side of having to sit in the mists while waiting for a queue to pop is largely the community. I mean, you see terrible stuff in just about any map chat, but it always seems to be the worst here. Since the PvP community tends to be the #1 reason more people don’t PvP, is there anything we can have done about this? Maybe have some degree of mod watching over the chats in these zones?

And can we get a fix to everyone being able to use the target ability outside of parties?

Thanks.

in PvP

Posted by: butch.8136

butch.8136

Block everyone.

Razor xxxx (Desolation ; Off)
Bring back: ‘Gamer’ title + MAT’s!
Throw out: Hotjoin!

in PvP

Posted by: Nitesky.6427

Nitesky.6427

Welcome to the Interwebz. You must be new here.

But in all seriousness, GW2 community is like care bear land compared to other games. Try LoL or Path of Exile if you want to see what real toxicity is.

in PvP

Posted by: mcgriddles.2416

mcgriddles.2416

Blocking people stops you personally from seeing what someone is saying, but it doesn’t stop that person from spouting off nonsense.

GW2 is a tamer community than LoL or PoE and even WoW in a lot of cases, but that doesn’t mean that when people get out of hand we should just block them. Blocking them doesn’t remove the toxicity from the community, it just shields a few players from it.

Incursiön [iN]

in PvP

Posted by: oneply.9586

oneply.9586

GW2 has one of the best pvp communities in any of the games i play/played.

Heck in Tera the worst people are literally protected by EME even tho they spread peoples personal information around so they can be harassed outside of the game as well, hunt people in the game to the point of them leaving the game for good, and all sorts of other nasty stuff. Honestly, the Tera community makes LoL look like a bunch of saints throwing marshmallows at each other.

plus, if you dont like the chat convo dont read it….

One Ply To Rule Them All
Bring PPK back to WvW!!!

in PvP

Posted by: uberkingkong.8041

uberkingkong.8041

How is the GW2 community bad in hotm?
I don’t see anything bad, most I hear are crickets.

in PvP

mcgriddles.2416

You do realize this is a lot easier said than done, right…?

I understand that we’re talking specifically about map chat nonsense, but sometimes it gets taken way too far and sometimes it gets taken to PMs, too. I watched someone troll an entire HotM map for literally HOURS a few nights ago. Every time I came back from a match they were still there, still babbling, and people were just feeding them and adding fuel to the fire. There is a point when enough is enough.

Incursiön [iN]

in PvP

Posted by: adozu.6398

adozu.6398

if there is one troll trolling report them, the community is fine overall. to ask for more is utopic.

in PvP

oneply.9586

I understand that we’re talking specifically about map chat nonsense, but sometimes it gets taken way too far and sometimes it gets taken to PMs, too. I watched someone troll an entire HotM map for literally HOURS a few nights ago. Every time I came back from a match they were still there, still babbling, and people were just feeding them and adding fuel to the fire. There is a point when enough is enough.

its really really easy actually. if youre drawn to drama i could see it being difficult though. the only time i read chat is in a match or party. dont care otherwise.

and in this day and age if people still cant learn not to feed a troll then i really dont care if they are not enjoying themselves. block him, ignore what he writes, etc, its easy. like any bully/troll if they are not getting the attention they so desperately seek they will move on to another venue to get it. its that simple.

One Ply To Rule Them All
Bring PPK back to WvW!!!

in PvP

mcgriddles.2416

its really really easy actually. if youre drawn to drama i could see it being difficult though. the only time i read chat is in a match or party. dont care otherwise.

and in this day and age if people still cant learn not to feed a troll then i really dont care if they are not enjoying themselves. block him, ignore what he writes, etc, its easy. like any bully/troll if they are not getting the attention they so desperately seek they will move on to another venue to get it. its that simple.

Yeah, exactly. The bully/troll will move on to victimize someone else. The bully/troll does not stop their behavior.

I’m sorry but I’m not someone who can “just ignore it” when I get a PM telling me “go kill myself.” Call me a kitten, call me a care bear, I honestly don’t care. That kind of stuff really upsets me for very personal reasons, and I know for a fact that it upsets a lot of other people, too. Why should we get shoved off to the side to protect egomaniacs who get their rocks off on hurting others?

Incursiön [iN]

in PvP

oneply.9586

Yeah, exactly. The bully/troll will move on to victimize someone else. The bully/troll does not stop their behavior.

I’m sorry but I’m not someone who can “just ignore it” when I get a PM telling me “go kill myself.” Call me a kitten, call me a care bear, I honestly don’t care. That kind of stuff really upsets me for very personal reasons, and I know for a fact that it upsets a lot of other people, too. Why should we get shoved off to the side to protect egomaniacs who get their rocks off on hurting others?

i honestly feel bad for your generation (im not being mean in any sense), you guys/gals were not taught how to cope or deal with bullies.
and i agree with you that the behavior is bad and should be dealt with. but thats why you report them and ignore them otherwise. if enough people report an individual then the devs should take action.

also i know this is lame as hell but really it is true on so many levels.
“sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me.”
especially when they are typed words from someone who knows absolutely nothing about you.

One Ply To Rule Them All
Bring PPK back to WvW!!!

in PvP

mcgriddles.2416

snip snip

i honestly feel bad for your generation (im not being mean in any sense), you guys/gals were not taught how to cope or deal with bullies.
and i agree with you that the behavior is bad and should be dealt with. but thats why you report them and ignore them otherwise. if enough people report an individual then the devs should take action.

especially when they are typed words from someone who knows absolutely nothing about you.

Really? You don’t even know how old I am. So how can you make broad, sweeping generalizations about me and my ~generation~ without knowing a thing about me? You’re not taking into account that a lot of people are bullied in “real life” and they play video games to escape it. I am assuming that you don’t know what that feels like, to go to school or work and be bullied, and then to come home and play this game that you really enjoy, only to experience it there, too. It is a really terrible feeling and no one should experience it. Y’all really go way out of your way to defend problematic behavior. “This is the Internet, it’s just a video game” but there are real people behind these computer screens who are being told these horrible things. Just because this is the ~Internet~ doesn’t mean that we’re all robots. Good grief!

The devs are not taking action!! That is the issue. I’ve been told twice in the past week by two different, inflammatory players that they’ve been reported numerous times and they’ve never been disciplined. I have screenshots if you don’t believe me. One said, “if I had a silver for every time I’ve been reported, I’d be the richest person in the game.” People are bragging about the fact that they can run around and act this way and they aren’t seeing any repercussions for it.

Incursiön [iN]

in PvP

oneply.9586

^ wow dude calm down.
maybe the problem isn’t just bullies and trolls but your own super over reactive victim behavior. neither one is good for the community or your health.

One Ply To Rule Them All
Bring PPK back to WvW!!!

in PvP

Posted by: Androlan.9487

Androlan.9487

I kind of find it shocking that some people are flaming this post. I completely agree that a lot of what is said in HoTM and in matches are truly in bad taste. When did saying hate filled or tasteless things become acceptable?
People in the forums and in chat complain that there is no new blood and they face the same 30-40 people all the time and the main reason is the utterly toxic attitude to new players. As a father, if I heard the things said in HoTM come out of my childs mouth I would give her the spanking of her life. As an adult, if I said those things in front of my mother she would whip me sensless and Im 47!
When did trolling become an acceptable form of behavior? I hate to say it but many of todays players have zero sense of civility or common courtesy.
I play this game because I enjoy the competitive nature of pvp but I hate the nonsense and trolling that goes on all day long. Yes, I can ignore it but it sticks out in chat and you cant help but see it.
Recently I saw a player with the name “kitten is Funny” but written in a way which it got through the filter. Do you think your girlfriends, wifes, mothers or sisters think kitten is funny? If your mother was kitten d and murdered would you think it was funny? Personally, I would have banned the player for life for such a horrible, tasteless “joke.”
You want new blood in pvp? Act like an adult and conduct yourself in an appropriate manner and treat everyone with respect.

in PvP

Posted by: WyldKat.4712

WyldKat.4712

Really? You don’t even know how old I am. So how can you make broad, sweeping generalizations about me and my ~generation~ without knowing a thing about me?

Anonymity. Lack of empathy. Me me me. Now now now.

Zestee, Cryptician Zetti, Zissi The Jack, Zi Mao,
Ziffy Snidehide, Zadie Hawkkin, Zannie Oakley, Zuulja
[ODIN],[NaCl] – Tarnished Coast

in PvP

adozu.6398

devs do take action towards inappropiate names, actually sometimes they change names that are 100% fine by 99% people’s standard but i digress.

it’s not like “trolling became ok” it’s more about the fact you can’t really do anything about it, just block the person involved and report them for inappropiate name / verbal abuse / spamming whatever seems more appropiate (the report function is a bit limited)

anything else is just feeding the troll, if i was one id be having a world of fun reading this thread and possibly go troll someone in hotm, just saying.

tl:dr: trolls sucks, but anything more than block+report is going to make them troll more

in PvP

Posted by: Rangelost.4857

Rangelost.4857

I honestly wouldn’t mind if the toxic community was limited to Heart of the Mists. Unfortunately (but consequently), you often get to deal with them at all time during PvP matches.

Someone throws themselves against 4 enemy players and gets downed instantly. Team chat becomes filled with caps since you went to capture a point instead of trying to revive them (and now they’re AFK at base to type angrily).

You fight someone for a good minute, and then your ally finally manages to come and help you. From the moment your opponent dies, you get whispered insults of all colors based on how PvP is supposedly not meant to be about teamwork, and how your life has no value.

You notify someone that being AFK is not an optimal strategy. The answer is nothing short of blame, and questioning your skills as a player, as a human being and as a sentient life form.

The worst I’ve encountered so far was a team of 4 players (in the same guild) who were not only losing on purpose from the very start, but insulting the 5th player on their team restlessly for trying to actually make some points.

I think it’s high time the April 2014 Feature Pack is revised.

Ever since PvP rewards were replaced with PvE rewards, players have been trying to abuse the PvP system to get items with the least amount of effort humanly possible. Now that most players prefer to win over having a good match, it isn’t fun for anyone.

Furthermore, megaservers prevent any sense of community from developing. Since the algorithm is and has been broken from the very start, players are shoved on map copies at absolute random. This allows people who believe in having a sense of anonymity on the Internet to project their lack of self esteem onto others and create an overall deplorable atmosphere.

The solution is extremely simple, but I’m afraid ArenaNet has been going in the exact opposite direction for the last year.

in PvP

mcgriddles.2416

^ wow dude calm down.
maybe the problem isn’t just bullies and trolls but your own super over reactive victim behavior. neither one is good for the community or your health.

Overly sensitive would be calling for a perma ban for everyone who said even the slightest not-nice thing about someone. I’m not asking for a perma ban or even ANY type of disciplinary action being taken against someone who says “lol noob” to someone. I’m asking for the people who have said things like “go kill yourself” and other similar sentiments. If you think someone is a noob, fine whatever, don’t play with them then and be the bigger person and keep your mouth shut! Or how about this crazy thought, maybe help them become better? But if you’re going to tell me or anyone else for that matter to take their own life and not think twice before you hit ‘enter’ that what you’re doing is wrong then you sincerely need to be put in time out to cool off and maybe use your head a little bit better.

devs do take action towards inappropiate names, actually sometimes they change names that are 100% fine by 99% people’s standard but i digress.

it’s not like “trolling became ok” it’s more about the fact you can’t really do anything about it, just block the person involved and report them for inappropiate name / verbal abuse / spamming whatever seems more appropiate (the report function is a bit limited)

anything else is just feeding the troll, if i was one id be having a world of fun reading this thread and possibly go troll someone in hotm, just saying.

tl:dr: trolls sucks, but anything more than block+report is going to make them troll more

Inappropriate character names get changed, but why aren’t the people who are being inappropriate in chat getting reprimanded? The report functions are limited, and the amount of discipline taken against heavy offenders is, too…

Really? You don’t even know how old I am. So how can you make broad, sweeping generalizations about me and my ~generation~ without knowing a thing about me?

Anonymity. Lack of empathy. Me me me. Now now now.

What sort of empathy am I expected to have in this situation other than for the people who have been told some pretty horrible stuff in map, team, and private chats roflmao

Me me me? Again.. I’m not speaking exclusively for myself. I’m speaking on behalf of yes, myself, but for others who’ve been bullied (which sounds juvenile but for lack of a better word I’m gonna use it) pretty mercilessly.

Now now now? Yes, now. Because why wait to improve something and make the community better as a whole?

Incursiön [iN]

(edited by mcgriddles.2416)

in PvP

adozu.6398

“No one is talking about inappropriate character names so I’m not entirely sure what kind of point you’re trying to make bringing that up.”

2 posts above mine “Androlan.9487” makes mention of inappropiate names.

in PvP

mcgriddles.2416

Yes I realize that now after the fact and I have edited my post.

Incursiön [iN]

in PvP

Posted by: Darnis.4056

Darnis.4056

Actually the number one reason people don’t PVP in gw2 is because it’s too hard, the community is really only icing on the cake.

Most people who play this game are completely satisfied with the challenges presented to them in silverwastes, so why would they come play pvp?

Will the Real Pink Puma Please stand up?

in PvP

Posted by: Cynz.9437

Cynz.9437

go play league, it has worst community out there lol

gw2 community is nice and cuddly in comparison

All is Vain~
[Teef] guild :>

in PvP

Posted by: Zietlogik.6208

Zietlogik.6208

I had the pleasure of meeting someone who said something along the lines of: “having 1v1, all of a sudden is 2v1 and 3v1, the pvp community is awful.”

Zietlogik [Warrior] Chronologix [Ranger] Ziet The Dreaded [Necromancer] Zietlogic [Revenant]

in PvP

Posted by: mistsim.2748

mistsim.2748

not quite sure what youre referring to regarding pvp community. I don’t pay attention to the mists chat often, but when I do, it’s always harmless.

but if youre a pve’er voting for skyhammer in ranked and getting farmed, without a clue about your profession, you’ll hear it from me in teamchat for sure. take that kitten to unranked.

in PvP

Posted by: Windfury.3598

Windfury.3598

I honestly wouldn’t mind if the toxic community was limited to Heart of the Mists. Unfortunately (but consequently), you often get to deal with them at all time during PvP matches.

Someone throws themselves against 4 enemy players and gets downed instantly. Team chat becomes filled with caps since you went to capture a point instead of trying to revive them (and now they’re AFK at base to type angrily).

You fight someone for a good minute, and then your ally finally manages to come and help you. From the moment your opponent dies, you get whispered insults of all colors based on how PvP is supposedly not meant to be about teamwork, and how your life has no value.

You notify someone that being AFK is not an optimal strategy. The answer is nothing short of blame, and questioning your skills as a player, as a human being and as a sentient life form.

The worst I’ve encountered so far was a team of 4 players (in the same guild) who were not only losing on purpose from the very start, but insulting the 5th player on their team restlessly for trying to actually make some points.

I think it’s high time the April 2014 Feature Pack is revised.

Ever since PvP rewards were replaced with PvE rewards, players have been trying to abuse the PvP system to get items with the least amount of effort humanly possible. Now that most players prefer to win over having a good match, it isn’t fun for anyone.

Furthermore, megaservers prevent any sense of community from developing. Since the algorithm is and has been broken from the very start, players are shoved on map copies at absolute random. This allows people who believe in having a sense of anonymity on the Internet to project their lack of self esteem onto others and create an overall deplorable atmosphere.

The solution is extremely simple, but I’m afraid ArenaNet has been going in the exact opposite direction for the last year.

I would also like to add being insulted for telling the team not to go (all 3 of them) to the far point. “shut up, ur trash.” , was the reply I got in team chat. This was in a tournament.
That kind of unintelligent trash talking that makes you stare at your screen in disbelief.
All I could do was whisper him : “You deserve a block, unintelligent trash talker.”, and clicked “block”.
But he will never stop and I am used to pvp and all that goes in there (being a thief is never easy) but the new guy/gal that walks in there hoping for a bit of fun can certainly have the worst experience ever and never come back.
I want fresh pvpers to join because we so need them to add diversity to the game. But this kind of senseless behavior is an assured deterrent to that.
I haven’t related the worst here, worse has happened but what’s the point I still see those baddies playing and chatting in map chat all the time.
Heck no one talks before a tournament for fear of being insulted…or if someone gives a tactic sometimes, you ’ll have one guy who will purposely do the opposite to make the team loose just to say at the end “Yea nice tactics looser…” I mean he must have hated the guy so much to not mind a loss on that game. Such hate.
And we humans are supposed to be the beings with higher intellect.

in PvP

Posted by: Iris Ng.9845

Iris Ng.9845

@OP: You can either disable Map chat and Say chat, or open a new tab and goofing with your friends and guildmates. I usually just focus on practicing with my harp.

“Raids are like fortune cookies. You eat the cookie and then read the paper scraps.”

- doranduck, 2016 on Lore in Raids

in PvP

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

As others have said, the GW2 PvP community is actually pretty tame by most competitive game standards.

If someone is flaming/being a troll, block them and encourage everybody else to block them. The worst punishment you can inflict on a bad apple is silence/apathy.

in PvP

Dahkeus.8243

I must have missed where this person said how old they were (sarcasm), but this isn’t an issue of people not being able to tolerate bullying. This is an issue of people willing to stand up and speak against it.

Blame my generation (if you can even guess it), but my ability to tolerate bullying has no relevance on my understanding that it’s still a crappy thing to do.

So please, blame the bully, not the victim.

@ People saying “The community is worse in X and Y game”: This is a pretty meaningless and irrelevant argument. If I see someone bludgeon a baby to death in the street, does it suddenly make it acceptable to break someone’s leg?

GW2 does have a better community than many other games out there, but that doesn’t suddenly justify the minority of players that still treat it like 4Chan.

in PvP

Dahkeus.8243

And kitten , I know about the block/ignore option, but as others have already said, that’s hardly the fix needed for what’s going on.

in PvP

mcgriddles.2416

I must have missed where this person said how old they were (sarcasm), but this isn’t an issue of people not being able to tolerate bullying. This is an issue of people willing to stand up and speak against it.

Blame my generation (if you can even guess it), but my ability to tolerate bullying has no relevance on my understanding that it’s still a crappy thing to do.

So please, blame the bully, not the victim.

@ People saying “The community is worse in X and Y game”: This is a pretty meaningless and irrelevant argument. If I see someone bludgeon a baby to death in the street, does it suddenly make it acceptable to break someone’s leg?

GW2 does have a better community than many other games out there, but that doesn’t suddenly justify the minority of players that still treat it like 4Chan.

Basically all of this.

Incursiön [iN]