Quick damage calculation question

in PvP

Posted by: law.9410

law.9410

Is damage derived linearly from your attack stat? For example if you have 3,000 attack and you increase your attack by 300 to 3,300 is that equivalent to increasing your damage by 10%?

in PvP

Posted by: Arganthium.5638

Arganthium.5638

Yes and no.

You’re almost right on the ball, but the stat that you’re looking at should be power, not attack. Attack is actually completely irrelevant when you’re computing damage, but power and weapon coefficients are not. Specifically, the formula looks like this:

Power * (Weapon Coefficient) * (Skill Coefficient) / (Armor + Toughness)

Where power is, obviously, your base power (916) plus any power received from additional stats. Weapon coefficient is a random number that is chosen between the two numbers listed on your weapon tooltip, so that, in the case of, say, Greatsword, a random number between 995 and 1100 (inclusive) will be chosen. Skill Coefficient is a skill-specific number that changes based on what your skill is. For example, a Backstab to the front of a player has a coefficient of 1.2, whereas a Backstab to the side/back of a player has a coefficient of 2.4. Armor is basically extra toughness you get from being able to wear one set of armor that is heavier than another.

If you want to include precision/critical damage in the aforementioned damage formula, you would change it so that it looks like

(Power * WeapCoef * SkillCoef) (1 + Critical Chance ( Critical Damage -1 ) / ( Armor + Toughness)

… I think, anyways. I just did that in my head (including simplification), so it might be incorrect, though I doubt it.

So anyways, back to your question:

If you have 3000 Power and you increase it to 3,300, then yes, that is a 10% damage increase on average (I say “on average” because weapon coefficient is a random number, but it does have a static average for a given weapon). In practice, though, you typically want to use the marginal formula (“how much benefit does a +1 increase in a stat increase my damage or damage absorption?”) when evaluating one stat in comparison to another, however.

Thief|Mesmer|
Theorycrafter

in PvP

Posted by: law.9410

law.9410

Thx man! I was comparing sigil of battle to force and this info helps a lot.