Raid on the Capricorn

Raid on the Capricorn

in PvP

Posted by: choban.9027

choban.9027

I love sharks, especially when my team is holding the point :P, but hate them when opposite happens :P…

Raid on the Capricorn

in PvP

Posted by: pmnt.4067

pmnt.4067

Question: Have you considered an unterwater finishing move? I feel that killing the sharks + downing the player defending the point is somewhat doable, but I have a hard time to actually kill opponents underwater.

I think that the ruins would be much easier to conquer if you can “stomp” players unterwater as well.

I can’t wait until ANet releases the game promoted in the manifesto.
Until that, I’ll play GW2.

Raid on the Capricorn

in PvP

Posted by: Stormy O.7025

Stormy O.7025

I hate the Capricorn map partially because there are so many skills that don’t work underwater (e.g., my necro’s elite minion—flesh golem). Another reason is related to the fact that I consider the land skills to be main and that the underwater skills are secondary.

I also try to avoid the Capricorn map every time I enter hotjoin spvp, and when it switches to the Capricorn map I always consider quitting the match (and many times have left).

I think maps containing underwater areas should be in its category with other (future?) maps with underwater areas; and for right now, the category we play in should just be land maps. Switching between land maps and underwater maps is just awkward and breaks up the flow in my opinion. If my suggestion was followed, I think I would actually consider playing underwater maps when I feel like it, and playing land maps when I feel like it.

Raid on the Capricorn

in PvP

Posted by: dpcaldae.3068

dpcaldae.3068

I actually like Capricorn best. I Just avoid the ruins completely. Underwater sucks in every possible way. I just like the rest of the map, and the cannon is awesome because not many people know about it or how to use it.

Raid on the Capricorn

in PvP

Posted by: Zaroua.2714

Zaroua.2714

The main problem with sharks isn’t that there’s too many of them, the problem is that if you try to assault the ruins even with just 1 shark on you, you’re almost guaranteed to lose.

The other problem is that you don’t have a set of underwater traits that automatically swap when you go underwater. A significant portion of the traits players have don’t work at all underwater or simply don’t apply to the underwater weapon skill sets that players are given.

Raid on the Capricorn

in PvP

Posted by: Cogbyrn.7283

Cogbyrn.7283

Not to stir the pot, but how many people vehemently dislike underwater combat because they’re just terrible at it? People basically never practice it, so when it happens, they’re slow, they don’t know how to properly combo their weapons, and everything is like a Frenzy/100B combo that they don’t understand.

I’m in no way calling it balanced, but I wonder sometimes about how unbalanced it really is and why most people hate it. I also don’t expect people to say “I don’t like it because I’m bad at it”, even if that happens to be the case. Who admits to being bad anymore, anyway?

I’ve had some fun fights underwater, personally, and halving the sharks should at least make it somewhat possible instead of completely impossible to take Ruins.

Alduin Nightsong, 80 Human Necro
“He’s like a man with a fork in a world of soup.”

Raid on the Capricorn

in PvP

Posted by: Plague.5329

Plague.5329

I dislike underwater combat because I just don’t like being underwater. I know how to use my skills, but being underwater isn’t any more fun than being on land. It’s usually worse, as far as fun goes. Plus a good portion of my skills can’t even be used there.

It’s just a stupid novelty.

Raid on the Capricorn

in PvP

Posted by: Stormy O.7025

Stormy O.7025

I don’t dislike underwater combat because I’m bad at it. Generally, my elementalist can beat the other classes (except for possibly the engineer that throws down a set of turrets and spam grenades).

Part of my problem with Capricorn is that it’s the only map out of the set with underwater combat. As such, when I enter hot-join I’m looking for land combat (e.g., to test my build or other reasons). Zaroua (post above) mentions other problems with underwater.

(edited by Stormy O.7025)

Raid on the Capricorn

in PvP

Posted by: okaygo.5473

okaygo.5473

Please move the point from the water to the cannon and put the cannon on the ship. Move those elixers to the water or make it a 25 point bonus or something.

This will make it a forward push map and it will be very fun.

Raid on the Capricorn

in PvP

Posted by: docMed.7692

docMed.7692

We’ll be touching most of the classes, if not all.

Capricorn is more geared for pub fun, and it’s not in our tournament rotation for a reason.

When que’ing solo/testing builds/etc – I often find myself searching for servers that are just beginning their map rotation after this one as this map is frankly quite unenjoyable due to the underwater combat, point control location, cannon, etc. I appreciate the creativity behind this map, but if any changes are to come I would at least recommend that a portion of the 8v8 servers do not include this map in their rotation. I enjoy the other maps (even with the imbalance of 8v8) and am disheartened every time I have to zone back to heart and find a server not on this map.

Raid on the Capricorn

in PvP

Posted by: Kita.7819

Kita.7819

“We’ll be touching most of the classes, if not all.

Translation:

Warriors remain un-nerfed and maybe get buffed.

Guardians receive a nerf to a popular boon type, Line of Warding gets changed to 2 seconds due to complaints.

Elementalists receive a buff they never asked for

Necromancers get 3 fixes and 5 bugs

Mesmers get nerfed, but have their skills generate more particle effects as a compromise

Thieves get nerfed. People will still complain. Shadow Refuge still exploitable underwater.

Engineers get some crazy nerf that no one understands nor cares about since no one uses the skill in question anyway

Rangers get buffed

Kita – Guardian
Server: Darkhaven. The Besthaven.

Raid on the Capricorn

in PvP

Posted by: Thrym.9436

Thrym.9436

I wouldn’t mind seeing the sharks go away entirely. They just don’t add anything to the map.

The way it plays out, you either win the point in the beginning and hold it the lions share of the map, or you don’t. Sharks act as supplemental guards, no more, no less. For the underwater node, they do nothing but cause the team owning the map to outnumber the other team, albeit with (usually) less skilled AI allies.

An interesting twist might be to keep them hostile to everyone, then the point becomes harder to defend AND capture.

Raid on the Capricorn

in PvP

Posted by: Ackfu.8407

Ackfu.8407

I think if anything all of the sharks should be removed

Raid on the Capricorn

in PvP

Posted by: jule.3289

jule.3289

How about fewer sharks, please!

Coming soon(about 2 weeks) to a game near you…

How about you find class balance under water?
Such as the thief who is spamming the skill 5 allowing dodging continually?!

Raid on the Capricorn

in PvP

Posted by: Lyonell.1753

Lyonell.1753

I love underwater combat!

Raid on the Capricorn

in PvP

Posted by: Cribbage.2056

Cribbage.2056

I don’t understand why you would remove the sharks. My main gripe with sPvP, other than the obvious balance issues, is the lack of tactical depth. The maps feel really samey. There ARE differences, but they are weak:

RotC – The ruins is easier to defend due to Shark control. So the tactical decision is whether to go for ruins or not

BoK – treb emplacement adds artillery. So the tactical decision is how much effort to put into treb offence/defence.

LotF – points for killing enemy boss. Tactical angle is whether/when you go for boss/defend your boss.

FoN – buff from forest creatures.

Other than that, all maps are just 3 node domination maps. If you remove or weaken the shark presence you are diluting the already poor tactical depth of sPvP. Why would you do that?

Raid on the Capricorn

in PvP

Posted by: Relentliss.2170

Relentliss.2170

I love giving the sharks retaliation using my signet. Lol good times.

We don’t need to make mandatory gear treadmills, we make all of it optional

Anet lied (where’s the Manifesto now?)

Raid on the Capricorn

in PvP

Posted by: Khenzy.9348

Khenzy.9348

Remove the sharks completely, add cannon balls to the backside of dock and beach, add cannons in each side of the ship, add more cannonballs in the hold of the ship, reduce cannon damage due to ammunition availability, add an easy to see and easily accesible from the Ruins entrance to the back of the ship (some kind of underwater small ramp), place the newely added cannonballs in the hold of the ship near this ramp.
Just make the ship the center piece of the map, with easier accesibility and more impact on the match instead of this annoying obstacle it is right now. Now you have a more clever excuse to go from point to point, this includes the Ruins. Thank you for reading.

(edited by Khenzy.9348)

Raid on the Capricorn

in PvP

Posted by: Relentliss.2170

Relentliss.2170

Remove the sharks completely, add cannon balls to the backside of dock and beach, add cannons in each side of the ship, add more cannonballs in the hold of the ship, reduce cannon damage due to ammunition availability, add an easy to see and easily accesible from the Ruins entrance to the back of the ship (some kind of underwater small ramp), place the newely added cannonballs in the hold of the ship near this ramp.
Just make the ship the center piece of the map, with easier accesibility and more impact on the match instead of this annoying obstacle it is right now. Now you have a more clever excuse to go from point to point, this includes the Ruins. Thank you for reading.

Better yet just give everyone a cannon.

We don’t need to make mandatory gear treadmills, we make all of it optional

Anet lied (where’s the Manifesto now?)

Raid on the Capricorn

in PvP

Posted by: Khenzy.9348

Khenzy.9348

Better yet just give everyone a cannon.

Did you read that right? More cannonballs and one cannon on each side of the ship, that’s it.

Raid on the Capricorn

in PvP

Posted by: Garenthal.1480

Garenthal.1480

It’s a shame to see that a very enjoyable part of the game is likely to never play a part in PvP because of the incessant whining of players who claim to be ‘competitive’ but refuse to learn how to master an – admittedly situational – aspect of the game.

>_>

Sharks aren’t an issue if you tackle them one or two at a time instead of rushing past them, though most people seem to simply rush from one objective to the next and then complain about being swarmed by players or enemies.

Raid on the Capricorn

in PvP

Posted by: ianbrooksg.6521

ianbrooksg.6521

Yes…the sharks are even responsible for some of my recent nightmares. The last thing I want to see when running from a zerg into the water are sharks…