Random "State of the Game" on Twitch

in PvP

Posted by: DevilsGlare.7658

DevilsGlare.7658

By no means is this official, as a matter of fact we just randomly started talking about all these different topics. It’s pretty much what the title states, just different issues and concerns we have as a community. It isn’t a flame session, and as a matter of fact you might call us sales reps for GW2 at certain points during the video!

I’m just posting this here cause it was definitely an enjoyable experience that just so happened to be random in nature! Your gonna hear the voices of Purie, Countless, Zoose, and myself talking about our own personal ideas and qualms concerning GW2.

If any Devs do happen to drop by this post, please take a look at the stream as we offer both intuitive ideas and points that you may be interested in!

http://www.twitch.tv/ptdevils/b/352071097

Start the video around 2hr 31min!
It’s quite long, so I’m going to be absolutely amazed if someone sits through it!

<3 QT Vain

If we ain’t laughin, we ain’t winnin.
Team [CUTE]
QT Vain

in PvP

Posted by: Sprawl.3891

Sprawl.3891

is this a state of the game for all players in regards to over the top burst, horrible casuals experience, hot join failures or just a elite 5v5 discussion?

Sprawl – Necro – Eredon Terrace

in PvP

Posted by: Azadoras.2790

Azadoras.2790

I actually watched your stream in the morning and kept listening after you stopped playing, it was an interesting discussion though there aren’t too many new points if one is following the forums. But I got some insight regarding the meta game the pro teams are playing and especially that was very interesting for me.

in PvP

Posted by: BobbyT.7192

BobbyT.7192

Is there a youtube version? can’t watch it on my phone

in PvP

Posted by: Cogbyrn.7283

Cogbyrn.7283

Even if it’s just a discussion focused more around the perspective of “top-tier” tPvP players, it’s a worthy perspective to get a feel for when attempting to evaluate how a person believes the game could be balanced.

The game NEEDS to be balanced at the top tier. At the lower tiers, it just NEEDS to be fun. True balance is less important, but tip the scales too far and it ceases to be simple fun, either.

EDIT – I actually really enjoyed listening to this discussion. If nothing else, it’s nice to hear higher-level strategic discussions to give general hope about the future of the game at tournament/professional level. Now my concern can focus around the game sustaining interest in PvP at the casual level.

I’d like to take a moment to second the idea of adding “skill shots” to more abilities. I would third, fourth, and fifth it if I only had that many votes to give.

Alduin Nightsong, 80 Human Necro
“He’s like a man with a fork in a world of soup.”

(edited by Cogbyrn.7283)

in PvP

Posted by: Angriff.1935

Angriff.1935

I think it can be balanced for both actually.

The problems that they discussed on the high tPvP level are the same basic problems at the low level hotjoin level.

You hear them talking about how they have to deal with elementalist bunkers. You hear them talking about surviving a “fight” with thieves. Basically their problems are the same: burst and bunker.

If bunkers weren’t so hard to kill, burst wouldn’t be an absolute necessity as it is now. If burst wasn’t so high, bunkering wouldn’t be a big necessity. If there were more group support options, a good TEAM would be better than a group of 5 strong individuals.

If they made these changes, new players wouldn’t get destroyed so violently, they wouldn’t run into so many unkillable bunkers, and it might actually encourage them to work with their team instead of just focusing on greedily capping and point farming.

The game currently allows for too great of extremes in both the defensive and offensive directions. If things were brought back, the frantic pace of the matches would become a little more evenly tempered and pvp might become more attractive and fun for both the high level and low level.

Just saying that it should be balanced for high level or low level is not the right way to go. At high level you have the people who already are taking advantage of the systems in the game, and if you balance for them you just make them better at the game rather than making the game better for everyone. If you balance for low level, you take depth away from the game.

Edit: To further clarify. I think damage overall should be decreased, the current burst vs non-burst damage ratio is actually fine, it’s the amounts of damage in general. To make it so bunkering builds aren’t overpowered a lot of the hard damage mitigation(protection/invulnerability/blocking) could be toned down. The healing could be left alone, thus support builds (ex: shout warrior) would become more valuble and viable.

(edited by Angriff.1935)

in PvP

Posted by: Danto.6748

Danto.6748

I love Purie <3

[TCG] Danto – Gaurdian

in PvP

DevilsGlare.7658

You know, I was thinking of making some type of summary of everything that was discussed… But, truly there were so many topics that we talked about that it’s almost worth listening to every bit.

If I could pick key points it would probably be:

-Remove port (Don’t force teams to run a mesmer)

-Adding a ladder system

-Adding more incentives for old/current/new players alike.

-Anet being more vocal about the progression of their current projects for spvp.

-Lock character swapping, and allowing teams to “inspect” the enemy teams
spec/talent/utilities. (This may not specifically be the answer, but integrate some type of intuitive system to prevent comp wars. It will always be an issue, but allow the other team to take note and try to strategize around it.)

-Fixing game-breaking bugs.

-Opening PTR to all players in GW2. (Just like in WoW, it gives other players unfair advantages and upper hands.)

-Adding more skill-shots all around the board. (Best example: Adding the burning speed mechanic to heartseeker)

-Give engi’s the help they deserve (BUFF THE MUTHA kittenS, although you may not need to buff them much at all if you remove port from this game.)

-Give all haste procs in this game the same mechanics Warriors have on Frenzy, and remove timewarps current affect. Needs to be re-vamped, imo.

-Bumping QT Vain automatically up to max rank. I think it is critical I have all the coolest looking gear in this game, it’ll definitely help the community grow!

Final words, ANET I’m not quite sure you’ve taken note what has been happening in the NA scene lately. But, these “top tier” players are reaching out to the others around and lending a helping hand. We are more than welcome to help, and we want to see this community grow (as you do). I have said it before, and I will say it again… There is a ton of skilled players out there that know their classes well. They just need a bump in the right direction with strategies, comps, metas, team synergy, and coordination. From what I’ve seen, 90% of these players are willing to branch out and help in any way possible. Please capitalize on this moment yourselves.

(Please note guys that in no way am I trying to sound elitist. I don’t have the “I’M ON A TEAM, MY WORD IS GOD” type mindset. I truly would just like to help…)

<3 QT Vain

Team [CUTE]
QT Vain

in PvP

Posted by: condiments.8043

condiments.8043

Yeah I was watching the beginning of this before I went to bed after you guys finished doing paids. Surprised how much more discussion there is.

Very informative on the part of you guys. I’m glad people like you and others are talking more about meta and reaching out to others. Seeing the dissonance between the discussion on the boards and actually watching your games is an eye opening experience. Most people here haven’t a wit of what they’re talking about.

Hope to hear from your input in the next state of the game on the 4th(You deserve a spot on there bro).

Cretius-Elementalist
Condiments-Thief

in PvP

DevilsGlare.7658

Ah, I appreciate it Condiments! I am truly excited for this NA State of the Game! I would truly love to bring some blunt topics forth and just really get down to what Anet wants from us as a whole community.

Team [CUTE]
QT Vain

in PvP

Posted by: Rezz.8019

Rezz.8019

Yeah… not like devs don’t know what’s wrong. They just don’t have time/resources/will to work to fix them.

But yeah in these early stages of PvP it’s quite interesting to see how players think I guess. Reminds me of first IWAYs in GW1, and how fast top players changed after that, when nerfs came (op eles, portal mes, bunkers in general in this game hopefully). And then some other people got on top. And that will be the case here as well, but enjoy your show off while it lasts

in PvP

Posted by: Shukran.4851

Shukran.4851

You know, I was thinking of making some type of summary of everything that was discussed… But, truly there were so many topics that we talked about that it’s almost worth listening to every bit.

If I could pick key points it would probably be:

-Remove port (Don’t force teams to run a mesmer)

-Adding a ladder system

-Adding more incentives for old/current/new players alike.

-Anet being more vocal about the progression of their current projects for spvp.

-Lock character swapping, and allowing teams to “inspect” the enemy teams
spec/talent/utilities. (This may not specifically be the answer, but integrate some type of intuitive system to prevent comp wars. It will always be an issue, but allow the other team to take note and try to strategize around it.)

-Fixing game-breaking bugs.

-Opening PTR to all players in GW2. (Just like in WoW, it gives other players unfair advantages and upper hands.)

-Adding more skill-shots all around the board. (Best example: Adding the burning speed mechanic to heartseeker)

-Give engi’s the help they deserve (BUFF THE MUTHA kittenS, although you may not need to buff them much at all if you remove port from this game.)

-Give all haste procs in this game the same mechanics Warriors have on Frenzy, and remove timewarps current affect. Needs to be re-vamped, imo.

-Bumping QT Vain automatically up to max rank. I think it is critical I have all the coolest looking gear in this game, it’ll definitely help the community grow!

Final words, ANET I’m not quite sure you’ve taken note what has been happening in the NA scene lately. But, these “top tier” players are reaching out to the others around and lending a helping hand. We are more than welcome to help, and we want to see this community grow (as you do). I have said it before, and I will say it again… There is a ton of skilled players out there that know their classes well. They just need a bump in the right direction with strategies, comps, metas, team synergy, and coordination. From what I’ve seen, 90% of these players are willing to branch out and help in any way possible. Please capitalize on this moment yourselves.

(Please note guys that in no way am I trying to sound elitist. I don’t have the “I’M ON A TEAM, MY WORD IS GOD” type mindset. I truly would just like to help…)

<3 QT Vain

if this post is the TL;DR’first post , i approve and bump. hope devs understand.

in PvP

Posted by: Miku Lawrence.6329

Miku Lawrence.6329

1h30 more to listen.

I like

Snow Crows [SC]

in PvP

Posted by: SkyTumn.3278

SkyTumn.3278

Yeah, great state of the game discussion, was hearing it live, xD. I completely agree with Condiments (Hey Condi!). To everyone who hasn’t heard Vain, Purie and Zoose’s discussion, I highly recommend you guys to watch! Really really informative from you guys.

in PvP

Posted by: Narcarsis.5739

Narcarsis.5739

in PvP

Posted by: Purie.9046

Purie.9046

I love Purie <3

Welcome to my fanboy club

Chieftain Ninjas – Purie – EU

in PvP

Posted by: felivear.1536

felivear.1536

QT, I listened to the whole discussion and I found it very much on the pulse of the player-base that primarily does SPVP. There are many issues with SPVP, but at its core the game has serious potential. The main issue, as you all discussed, is it seems the developers don’t even know what they want to do with this game. Their haphazard adjustments to certain areas and completely ignoring other aspects to the game seem to be way off base (at least from many viewpoints) from what the game currently needs.

I will say this: I implore, beg, plead, for you to bring all of this up in your discussion on the 4th. Most of the stuff you all talked about is in plain text on the forums and they’ve seen it, but for me and many others, we want an actual response. We want to know if we are wasting our time in this game. The few people that are still around are mostly around because we see the potential and we have hope that the SPVP devs don’t squander that potential. By bringing up these topics and demanding answers, we can either continue to patiently wait while they finish their “when it’s ready” game, or we can leave at peace knowing we gave it our all.

I think the main points in this entire discussion should be.

1) What are you doing to bring people into SPVP?
2) How are you going to keep them there with a fun, engaging, and rewarding system?

Everything else is secondary to this. When a game is on life-support (clearly anyone with eyes can see that SPVP is flat lining) these are the only things that matter.

feLIVEar: Your resident forum king.

(edited by felivear.1536)

in PvP

Posted by: faeral.7120

faeral.7120

great talk, thanks for the post.

the character switching is becoming more of a problem, or maybe it’s not a problem. but some teams, for example, are starting legacy with a thief to port in & steal lord without the alarm being raised, then swap characters back out to non-thief. this is above & beyond counter-comping; it is imo, map cheesing. ( i know this strat is counterable, but knowing you need to counter it is extremely difficult unless you predict it, since no alarms are raised until lord is dead )

i like the idea of portal only working for the mesmer. it has a large CD, so the mesmer is giving something up to run it for a 1v1 fight on D. there’s no drawback when you bring a team back with you.

time warp’s aoe radius could be drastically reduced, so opponents can kite out of it without losing the point & would make the ability more of a skillshot to drop it on a downed opp/pull enemies into it/position ranged inside/bubble trap/etc. ( something like ranger torch size )

in PvP

Posted by: Zodian.6597

Zodian.6597

upped it to youtube with vain’s permission.

Neglekt

in PvP

Posted by: Baam.2493

Baam.2493

+1, great discussion. Covered a lotof the big core problems w/ PvP atm

in PvP

Posted by: TheTornsoul.5140

TheTornsoul.5140

I got the chance to que up with QT Vain and a few others this morning on my necro. Very knowledgeable and friendly. It’s definetely nice seeing talented players finally reaching out to new people and/or skilled and help mentor them. Or just give them tips or talk about strats.

Öprimo — Condi Necro

in PvP

Posted by: Cogbyrn.7283

Cogbyrn.7283

I got the chance to que up with QT Vain and a few others this morning on my necro. Very knowledgeable and friendly. It’s definetely nice seeing talented players finally reaching out to new people and/or skilled and help mentor them. Or just give them tips or talk about strats.

I very much respect when people with experience reach out and help those without. A positive PvP community would be extremely healthy for this game, especially while folks wait for the appropriate infrastructure. It’d be easier to wait it out if you have a group you can really enjoy the game with.

Alduin Nightsong, 80 Human Necro
“He’s like a man with a fork in a world of soup.”

in PvP

Posted by: Zoose.1640

Zoose.1640

Thanks for all the positive feedback guys! See you guys in game!