Random builds into Ranked...

in PvP

Posted by: LUST.7241

LUST.7241

You know I thought we could squeeze some games before the expansion with the meta that has been the same for the last few years…turns out, there are so many new players in Plat that are overly confident in their unranked builds… which don’t contribute to anything team or objective wise. I’m all for build diversity…but there is a reason why the current meta is what it is…

I believe PvP will always be toxic as long as people are ignorant to learn, don’t utilize the most optimal build (at the least), and don’t realize when to rotate. I can see why people Duo at off hours and have 80+% win rates.

These random builds remind me of Beta weekends 5 years ago… I expected to see that when PoF hit…not weeks before in Plat.

(edited by LUST.7241)

in PvP

Posted by: saerni.2584

saerni.2584

The great thing about GW2 is how people don’t have to agree with a website how they should play the game.

Plenty of off meta things became meta precisely for that reason.

Northern Shiverpeaks (NSP)
Thief (Daredevil)
Commandant of Pistol-Dagger and Apex Predator

in PvP

Posted by: LUST.7241

LUST.7241

The great thing about GW2 is how people don’t have to agree with a website how they should play the game.

This is true. Those off-meta things were also coupled with good map awareness and rotations. Optimizing X, Y, Z for A, B, C situations.

If you play with your face 1-inch from the screen, one-eyed closed, and your resolution at 64×64, that off-meta thing won’t lead to a new meta.

in PvP

Posted by: Alatar.7364

Alatar.7364

True.
But I think that OP is talking about complete kitten builds and their usefulness and contribution in Ranked.
Current Metas were almost all obviously good from start. Not like D/P Condi or Condi Druid (which happens to be quite good in WvW =D)
or Thief with Smoke screen on Downed, etc.

~I Aear cân ven na mar

in PvP

Posted by: Wolfric.9380

Wolfric.9380

Well i have seen condi druid being quite efficient if played well. But shure it has some issues… he is more a one shot and move on thing … ;-).
Off meta played well is the way to evolve …

in PvP

Posted by: NotASmurf.1725

NotASmurf.1725

Everyone’s like “hurrdurr offmeta so good” but there’s a difference between offmeta and what OP says.

Seriously who wants to have a Rabid GS spirit weapon guard on this team? I see this very often now because of the many new or returning players and yes I’d like them to get familiar with real builds before they start using random kitten.

in PvP

Posted by: Omcrazy.4756

Omcrazy.4756

I think we have a couple issues honestly.

1 – Range of matchmaking forcing players that are low gold (maybe even high silver?) into matches with Plats. Sucks for both their plat teammates and the low ranked players that want to face someone closer to their own skill level.

Possible solution? – Cap on range of matchmaking or at least extending the time before it widens.

2 – one rank for all classes. Top tier players are expected to be able to fill multiple roles so you can’t really separate them. But as an example, I am much better as a DH meditrapper than I am as a power scrapper. So when I play scrapper I probably belong in S2 or S3. When I play DH Meditrapper I probably belong in G2. You can say “well, only bring your best to ranked” except for….

Possible solution? – No clue. Each class has its own rank that you queue at but you can switch to a different class if it is within the allowed range?

3 – Legendary backpack achievement basically forces you to play multiple classes, and a reasonably significant amount. Especially since later tiers of the achievement are locked behind completing all 11 of each setting. So I can’t get all my “rank points” or “top stats” or whatever until I’ve gotten my multiple profession achievements. I would love to be able to spend this season as DH meditrapper and then spend next season as an engineer or ranger or whatever, but if I do that then I have to wait months just to unlock

Possible solution? – Don’t force me to complete all 11 tier 1 achievements before I can start working on the later tiers (some let you, some don’t).

Theoretically, the problem of players bringing trash builds and therefore playing like trash shouldn’t be much of an issue because they likely won’t actually be any good so should be ranked low enough that it won’t bother the meta players. Except we have the above three points causing issues and bringing those players in.

Personally, I don’t agree with the mentality that you have to follow the meta. Yes, the meta is meta for a reason, but you can be competitive with a different build or otherwise you wouldn’t be ranked up there. If you are good enough to play in plat with a non-meta build then you are good enough to play in plat. Maybe you are holding yourself back from being Legendary by not play meta (maybe) but the plat players you are with should have no cause for complaint.